Social Science & Medicine
2006, Volume 62, Issue 10
- 2591-2600 Cancer in the mass print media: Fear, uncertainty and the medical model
by Clarke, Juanne N. & Everest, Michelle M.
- 2601-2611 Negotiation over self-control and activity: An analysis of balancing in the repertoires of Finnish healthy lifestyles
by Pajari, Pia M. & Jallinoja, Piia & Absetz, Pilvikki
2006, Volume 62, Issue 9
- 2091-2100 Incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs): The silence of the lambda
by Gafni, Amiram & Birch, Stephen
- 2101-2111 Price elasticity of demand for malt liquor beer: Findings from a US pilot study
by French, Michael Thomas & BrownTaylor, Didra & Bluthenthal, Ricky Neville
- 2112-2124 Does chain affiliation make a difference in efficiency of dialysis providers in the USA
by Ozgen, Hacer
- 2125-2136 Being around and knowing the players: Networks of influence in health policy
by Lewis, Jenny M.
- 2137-2150 The effects of economic instability on infant, neonatal, and postneonatal mortality rates: Evidence from Taiwan
by Lin, Shin-Jong
- 2151-2160 Social class assignment and mortality in Sweden
by Erikson, Robert
- 2161-2170 Socioeconomic status and health: Do gradients differ within childhood and adolescence?
by Chen, Edith & Martin, Andrew D. & Matthews, Karen A.
- 2171-2182 The wealthy get healthy, the poor get poorly? Lay perceptions of health inequalities
by Davidson, Rosemary & Kitzinger, Jenny & Hunt, Kate
- 2183-2195 Sickness absence and sickness attendance--What people with neck or back pain think
by Hansson, Margareta & Boström, Carina & Harms-Ringdahl, Karin
- 2196-2204 Challenges for the adoption of evidence-based maternity care in Turkey
by Turan, Janet Molzan & Bulut, Aysen & Nalbant, Hacer & OrtaylI, Nuriye & Erbaydar, Tugrul
- 2205-2215 Maternity referral systems in developing countries: Current knowledge and future research needs
by Murray, Susan F. & Pearson, Stephen C.
- 2216-2224 Quality of care and its impact on population health: A cross-sectional study from Macedonia
by Peabody, John W. & Nordyke, Robert J. & Tozija, Fimka & Luck, Jeff & Muñoz, Jorge A. & Sunderland, Anne & DeSalvo, Karen & Ponce, Ninez & McCulloch, Charles
- 2225-2235 The performance of health workers in Ethiopia: Results from qualitative research
by Lindelow, Magnus & Serneels, Pieter
- 2236-2245 Quest, chaos and restitution: Living with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis
by Whitehead, Lisa Claire
- 2246-2257 Men's accounts of depression: Reconstructing or resisting hegemonic masculinity?
by Emslie, Carol & Ridge, Damien & Ziebland, Sue & Hunt, Kate
- 2258-2266 Conversational silence, coercion, equality: The role of language in influencing who gets identified as abused
by Bonomi, Amy E. & Allen, David G. & Holt, Victoria L.
- 2267-2278 Doctor-patient interaction in a randomised controlled trial of decision-support tools
by Rapley, Tim & May, Carl & Heaven, Ben & Murtagh, Madeline & Graham, Ruth & Kaner, Eileen F.S. & Thomson, Richard
- 2279-2290 "It was a snap decision": Parental and professional perspectives on the speed of decisions about participation in perinatal randomised controlled trials
by Snowdon, Claire & Elbourne, Diana & Garcia, Jo
- 2291-2300 The nature and correlates of unmet health care needs in Ontario, Canada
by Nelson, Connie Holmes & Park, Jungwee
- 2301-2312 Living in the shadow of terrorism: Psychological distress and alcohol use among religious and non-religious adolescents in Jerusalem
by Schiff, Miriam
- 2313-2326 Husbands' and wives' reports of women's decision-making power in Western Guatemala and their effects on preventive health behaviors
by Becker, Stan & Fonseca-Becker, Fannie & Schenck-Yglesias, Catherine
- 2327-2335 Health, wealth and fairness based on gender: The support for ethical principles
by Månsdotter, Anna & Lindholm, Lars & Lundberg, Michael
- 2336-2348 Physiotherapy and the shadow of prostitution: The Society of Trained Masseuses and the massage scandals of 1894
by Nicholls, David A. & Cheek, Julianne
2006, Volume 62, Issue 8
- 1831-1839 Associations of childhood circumstances with physical and mental functioning in adulthood
by Mäkinen, Tomi & Laaksonen, Mikko & Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi
- 1840-1852 Team leadership and patient outcomes in US psychiatric treatment settings
by Wells, Rebecca & Jinnett, Kimberly & Alexander, Jeffrey & Lichtenstein, Richard & Liu, Dawei & Zazzali, James L.
- 1853-1864 Mental and social health in disasters: Relating qualitative social science research and the Sphere standard
by Batniji, Rajaie & Van Ommeren, Mark & Saraceno, Benedetto
- 1865-1879 Variation in children's cognitive and behavioural adjustment between different types of place in the British National Child Development Study
by McCulloch, Andrew
- 1880-1890 Genetic susceptibility testing from a stress and coping perspective
by Gooding, Holly C. & Organista, Kurt & Burack, Jeffrey & Biesecker, Barbara Bowles
- 1891-1901 Developing attributes for a generic quality of life measure for older people: Preferences or capabilities?
by Grewal, Ini & Lewis, Jane & Flynn, Terry & Brown, Jackie & Bond, John & Coast, Joanna
- 1902-1916 "Does it mean I'm gonna die?": On meaning assessment in the delivery of diagnostic news
by Maynard, Douglas W.
- 1917-1930 Responsive complementary feeding in rural Bangladesh
by Moore, Anna C & Akhter, Sadika & Aboud, Frances E
- 1931-1942 Our health and theirs: Forced migration, othering, and public health
by Grove, Natalie J. & Zwi, Anthony B.
- 1943-1957 Do individual and program factors matter in the utilization of maternal care services in rural India? A theoretical approach
by Sunil, T.S. & Rajaram, S. & Zottarelli, Lisa K.
- 1958-1969 Kaqchikel midwives, home births, and emergency obstetric referrals in Guatemala: Contextualizing the choice to stay at home
by Berry, Nicole S.
- 1970-1977 The male heart and the female mind: A study in the gendering of antidepressants and cardiovascular drugs in advertisements in Irish medical publication
by Curry, Phillip & O'Brien, Marita
- 1978-1990 "...it's all the same no matter how much fruit or vegetables or fresh air we get": Traveller women's perceptions of illness causation and health inequalities
by Hodgins, Margaret & Millar, Michelle & M Barry, Margaret
- 1991-2001 Never-married childless women in Australia: Health and social circumstances in older age
by Cwikel, Julie & Gramotnev, Helen & Lee, Christina
- 2002-2013 Violence against women and suicide risk: The neglected impact of same-sex sexual behaviour
by Lhomond, Brigitte & Saurel-Cubizolles, Marie-Josèphe
- 2014-2023 Effects of husbands' and wives' education on each other's mortality
by Jaffe, Dena H. & Eisenbach, Zvi & Neumark, Yehuda D. & Manor, Orly
- 2024-2034 Shifting dollars, saving lives: What might happen to mortality rates, and socio-economic inequalities in mortality rates, if income was redistributed?
by Blakely, Tony & Wilson, Nick
- 2035-2045 Socioeconomic inequalities in premature mortality in France: Have they widened in recent decades?
by Leclerc, Annette & Chastang, Jean-François & Menvielle, Gwenn & Luce, Danièle
- 2046-2060 A comparative appraisal of the relationship of education, income and housing tenure with less than good health among the elderly in Europe
by Dalstra, J.A.A. & Kunst, A.E. & Mackenbach, J.P.
- 2061-2071 Neighborhood violent crime and unemployment increase the risk of coronary heart disease: A multilevel study in an urban setting
by Sundquist, Kristina & Theobald, Holger & Yang, Min & Li, Xinjun & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Sundquist, Jan
- 2072-2078 Why do case studies on national health research systems matter? Identifying common challenges in low- and middle-income countries
by D'Souza, Carol & Sadana, Ritu
- 2079-2090 Health care practices, professions and perspectives: A case study in intensive care
by Carmel, Simon
2006, Volume 62, Issue 7
- 1565-1578 New drug prescribing by hospital doctors: The nature and meaning of knowledge
by Prosser, Helen & Walley, Tom
- 1579-1593 Dilemmas in decision-making about resuscitation--a focus group study of older people
by Vandrevala, Tushna & Hampson, Sarah E. & Daly, Tom & Arber, Sara & Thomas, Hilary
- 1594-1604 Exploring limits to market-based reform: Managed competition and rehabilitation home care services in Ontario
by Randall, Glen E. & Williams, A. Paul
- 1605-1615 Turning the medical gaze in upon itself: Root cause analysis and the investigation of clinical error
by Iedema, Roderick Aren Michael & Jorm, Christine & Long, Debbi & Braithwaite, Jeffrey & Travaglia, Jo & Westbrook, Mary
- 1616-1627 At home in hospital? Interaction and stigma in people affected by cancer
by Wilson, Kate & Luker, Karen A
- 1628-1640 Supportive social relationships and adolescent health risk behavior among secondary school students in El Salvador
by Springer, Andrew & Parcel, Guy & Baumler, Elizabeth & Ross, Michael
- 1641-1649 Associations of poverty, substance use, and HIV transmission risk behaviors in three South African communities
by Kalichman, Seth C. & Simbayi, Leickness C. & Kagee, Ashraf & Toefy, Yoesrie & Jooste, Sean & Cain, Demetria & Cherry, Chauncey
- 1650-1671 Behavioral science at the crossroads in public health: Extending horizons, envisioning the future
by Glass, Thomas A. & McAtee, Matthew J.
- 1672-1684 Gender and HIV risk behavior among intravenous drug users in Sichuan Province, China
by Choi, Susanne Y.P. & Cheung, Yuet Wah & Chen, Kanglin
- 1685-1696 Stigmatizing experience and structural discrimination associated with the treatment of schizophrenia in Hong Kong
by Lee, Sing & Chiu, Marcus Y.L. & Tsang, Adley & Chui, Helena & Kleinman, Arthur
- 1697-1709 Mental health, employment and gender. Cross-sectional evidence in a sample of refugees from Bosnia-Herzegovina living in two Swedish regions
by Blight, Karin Johansson & Ekblad, Solvig & Persson, Jan-Olov & Ekberg, Jan
- 1710-1719 Reaching for the bottle of pesticide--A cry for help. Self-inflicted poisonings in Sri Lanka
by Konradsen, Flemming & Hoek, Wim van der & Peiris, Pushpalatha
- 1720-1730 Preservation of self in people with dementia living in residential care: A socio-biographical approach
by Surr, Claire Alice
- 1731-1744 The role of mediating factors in the association between social deprivation and low birth weight in Germany
by Reime, Birgit & Ratner, Pamela A. & Tomaselli-Reime, Sandra N. & Kelly, Ann & Schuecking, Beate A. & Wenzlaff, Paul
- 1745-1756 Couples' experiences of postnatal depression: A framing analysis of cultural identity, gender and communication
by Everingham, Christine Rosemary & Heading, Gaynor & Connor, Linda
- 1757-1767 Unfulfilled expectations: How circumstances impinge on women's reproductive choices
by Porter, Maureen & Bhattacharya, Siladitya & van Teijlingen, Edwin
- 1768-1784 Income inequality and population health: A review and explanation of the evidence
by Wilkinson, Richard G & Pickett, Kate E.
- 1785-1798 Socioeconomic differences in the progression of carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged men and women with subclinical atherosclerosis in Sweden
by Rosvall, Maria & Östergren, Per-Olof & Hedblad, Bo & Isacsson, Sven-Olof & Janzon, Lars & Berglund, Göran
- 1799-1809 Health lifestyles and political ideology in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine
by Cockerham, William C. & Hinote, Brian P. & Cockerham, Geoffrey B. & Abbott, Pamela
- 1810-1818 Normative processes and adolescents' smoking behaviour in Norway: A multilevel analysis
by Wiium, Nora & Torsheim, Torbjørn & Wold, Bente
- 1819-1830 The role of public policies in reducing smoking and deaths caused by smoking in Vietnam: Results from the Vietnam tobacco policy simulation model
by Levy, David T. & Bales, Sarah & Lam, Nguyen T. & Nikolayev, Leonid
2006, Volume 62, Issue 6
- 1307-1318 Supporting choice and control? Communication and interaction between midwives and women at the antenatal booking visit
by McCourt, Christine
- 1319-1329 Parents' experiences of sharing neonatal information and decisions: Consent, cost and risk
by Alderson, Priscilla & Hawthorne, Joanna & Killen, Margaret
- 1330-1340 Subverting the assembly-line: Childbirth in a free-standing birth centre
by Walsh, Denis
- 1341-1348 Correlations of siblings' and mothers' utilisation of primary and hospital health care: A record linkage study in Western Australia
by Ward, Alison M. & de Klerk, Nick & Pritchard, Douglas & Firth, Martin & Holman, C. D'Arcy J.
- 1349-1359 'Just a bystander'? Men's place in the process of fetal screening and diagnosis
by Locock, Louise & Alexander, Jo
- 1360-1368 Self-regulation and the behavioural response to DNA risk information: A theoretical analysis and framework for future research
by Marteau, Theresa M. & Weinman, John
- 1369-1380 Understanding health behavior change among couples: An interdependence and communal coping approach
by Lewis, Megan A. & McBride, Colleen M. & Pollak, Kathryn I. & Puleo, Elaine & Butterfield, Rita M. & Emmons, Karen M.
- 1381-1391 Experience of health changes and reasons for delay in seeking care: A UK study of the months prior to the diagnosis of lung cancer
by Corner, Jessica & Hopkinson, Jane & Roffe, Liz
- 1392-1402 Social network in long-term diseases: A comparative study in relatives of persons with schizophrenia and physical illnesses versus a sample from the general population
by Magliano, Lorenza & Fiorillo, Andrea & Malangone, Claudio & De Rosa, Corrado & Maj, Mario
- 1403-1413 Ventilator dependence and expressions of need: A study of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in Japan
by Hirano, Yuko Mandai & Yamazaki, Yoshihiko & Shimizu, Junichi & Togari, Taisuke & Bryce, Thomas James
- 1414-1426 The impact of tobacco expenditure on household consumption patterns in rural China
by Wang, Hong & Sindelar, Jody L. & Busch, Susan H.
- 1427-1442 Marital life course events and smoking behaviour in Sweden 1980-2000
by Nystedt, Paul
- 1443-1456 Impact of definition on the study of avoidable mortality: Geographical trends in British deaths 1981-1998 using Charlton and Holland's definitions
by French, Katherine Meriel & Jones, Kelvyn
- 1457-1464 A comparison of health inequalities in urban and rural Scotland
by Levin, Kate A. & Leyland, Alastair H.
- 1465-1473 Psychosocial and neo-material dimensions of SES and health revisited: Predictors of self-rated health in a Canadian national survey
by Dunn, James R. & Veenstra, Gerry & Ross, Nancy
- 1474-1485 NZiDep: A New Zealand index of socioeconomic deprivation for individuals
by Salmond, Clare & Crampton, Peter & King, Peter & Waldegrave, Charles
- 1498-1509 "We are not completely Westernised": Dual medical systems and pathways to health care among Chinese migrant women in England
by Green, Gill & Bradby, Hannah & Chan, Anita & Lee, Maggie
- 1510-1519 Empirical uncertainty and moral contest: A qualitative analysis of the relationship between medical specialists and the pharmaceutical industry in Australia
by Doran, E. & Kerridge, I. & McNeill, P. & Henry, David
- 1520-1527 "To enrol or not to enrol?": A qualitative investigation of demand for health insurance in rural West Africa
by De Allegri, Manuela & Sanon, Mamadou & Sauerborn, Rainer
- 1528-1540 Attitudes towards patient gender among psychiatric hospital staff: Results of a case study with focus groups
by Krumm, Silvia & Kilian, Reinhold & Becker, Thomas
- 1541-1551 Governance in operating room nursing: Nurses' knowledge of individual surgeons
by Glenda Riley, Robin & Manias, Elizabeth
- 1552-1563 Frequency and determinants of advance directives concerning end-of-life care in The Netherlands
by Rurup, Mette L. & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & van der Heide, Agnes & van der Wal, Gerrit & Deeg, Dorly J.H.
2006, Volume 62, Issue 5
- 1045-1065 Gender inequalities in US adult health: The interplay of race and ethnicity
by Read, Jen'nan Ghazal & Gorman, Bridget K.
- 1066-1077 Gender differences in job strain, effort-reward imbalance, and health functioning among Chinese physicians
by Li, Jian & Yang, Wenjie & Cho, Sung-il
- 1078-1090 Health professionals, their medical interventions and uncertainty: A study focusing on women at midlife
by Griffiths, F. & Green, E. & Bendelow, G.
- 1091-1102 Men and women managing coronary artery disease risk: Urban-rural contrasts
by King, Kathryn M. & Thomlinson, Elizabeth & Sanguins, Julianne & LeBlanc, Pamela
- 1103-1114 Access to rural health services: Research as community action and policy critique
by Panelli, Ruth & Gallagher, Lou & Kearns, Robin
- 1115-1125 Negotiating mothering against the odds: Gastrostomy tube feeding, stigma, governmentality and disabled children
by Craig, Gillian M. & Scambler, Graham
- 1126-1137 Trends and racial differences in infant mortality in South Africa
by Burgard, Sarah A. & Treiman, Donald J.
- 1138-1152 An investigation of district spatial variations of childhood diarrhoea and fever morbidity in Malawi
by Kandala, Ngianga-Bakwin & Magadi, Monica Akinyi & Madise, Nyovani Janet
- 1153-1166 Understanding the process of adjustment to illness
by Sharpe, Louise & Curran, Leah
- 1167-1178 'I just want permission to be ill': Towards a sociology of medically unexplained symptoms
by Nettleton, Sarah
- 1179-1191 Retirement and mental health: Analysis of the Australian national survey of mental health and well-being
by Butterworth, Peter & Gill, Sarah C. & Rodgers, Bryan & Anstey, Kaarin J. & Villamil, Elena & Melzer, David
- 1192-1204 Beyond rankings: Using cognitive mapping to understand what health care journals represent
by Shewchuk, Richard M. & O'Connor, Stephen J. & Williams, Eric S. & Savage, Grant T.
- 1205-1214 Anxiolytic-hypnotic drug use associated with trust, social participation, and the miniaturization of community: A multilevel analysis
by Johnell, Kristina & Lindström, Martin & Melander, Arne & Sundquist, Jan & Eriksson, Charli & Merlo, Juan
- 1215-1218 Multi-level modelling in health research: A caution and rejoinder on temporally mismatched data
by Buzzelli, Michael & Su, Jason
- 1219-1228 Experiences of stigma and access to HAART in children and adolescents living with HIV/AIDS in Brazil
by Abadía-Barrero, César Ernesto & Castro, Arachu
- 1229-1236 Healthcare in the New Vietnam: Comparing patients' satisfaction with outpatient care in a traditional neighborhood clinic and a new, western-style clinic in Ho Chi Minh City
by Tat, Sonny & Barr, Donald
- 1237-1249 Views of general practitioners and benzodiazepine users on benzodiazepines: A qualitative analysis
by Parr, Jannette M. & Kavanagh, David J. & Young, Ross McD. & McCafferty, Kelly
- 1250-1259 Explaining the social gradient in smoking in pregnancy: Early life course accumulation and cross-sectional clustering of social risk exposures in the 1958 British national cohort
by Spencer, Nick
- 1260-1277 Domestic violence against women in Egypt--wife beating and health outcomes
by Diop-Sidibé, Nafissatou & Campbell, Jacquelyn C. & Becker, Stan
- 1278-1290 Hyped biomedical science or uncritical reporting? Press coverage of genomics (1992-2001) in Québec
by Racine, Eric & Gareau, Isabelle & Doucet, Hubert & Laudy, Danielle & Jobin, Guy & Schraedley-Desmond, Pamela
- 1291-1303 Neighborhood effects on primary care access in Los Angeles
by Prentice, Julia C.
2006, Volume 62, Issue 4
- 793-804 Disciplining the feminine: The reproduction of gender contradictions in the mental health care of women with eating disorders
by Moulding, Nicole
- 805-814 Pathways to suicidal behaviour among adolescent girls in Nicaragua
by Herrera, A. & Dahlblom, K. & Dahlgren, L. & Kullgren, G.
- 815-827 Cross-national variation of gender differences in adolescent subjective health in Europe and North America
by Torsheim, Torbjørn & Ravens-Sieberer, Ulrike & Hetland, Jorn & Välimaa, Raili & Danielson, Mia & Overpeck, Mary
- 828-834 Depression and mental health visits to physicians--a prospective records-based study
by Rhodes, Anne & Liisa Jaakkimainen, R. & Bondy, Susan & Fung, Kinwah
- 835-845 Economic valuation of informal care: Lessons from the application of the opportunity costs and proxy good methods
by van den Berg, Bernard & Brouwer, Werner & van Exel, Job & Koopmanschap, Marc & van den Bos, Geertrudis A.M. & Rutten, Frans
- 846-857 A conceptually based approach to understanding chronically ill patients' responses to medication cost pressures
by Piette, John D. & Heisler, Michele & Horne, Robert & Caleb Alexander, G.
- 858-865 What are the economic consequences for households of illness and of paying for health care in low- and middle-income country contexts?
by McIntyre, Diane & Thiede, Michael & Dahlgren, Göran & Whitehead, Margaret
- 866-876 Understanding the impact of eliminating user fees: Utilization and catastrophic health expenditures in Uganda
by Xu, Ke & Evans, David B. & Kadama, Patrick & Nabyonga, Juliet & Ogwal, Peter Ogwang & Nabukhonzo, Pamela & Aguilar, Ana Mylena
- 877-887 Informal payments in government health facilities in Albania: Results of a qualitative study
by Vian, Taryn & Grybosk, Kristina & Sinoimeri, Zamira & Hall, Rachel
- 888-899 Evaluations of care by adults following a denial of an advertisement-related prescription drug request: The role of expectations, symptom severity, and physician communication style
by Shah, Mansi B. & Bentley, John P. & McCaffrey III, David J.
- 900-908 An implementation intentions intervention, the use of a planning strategy, and physical activity after myocardial infarction
by Luszczynska, Aleksandra
- 909-922 Explaining US racial/ethnic disparities in health declines and mortality in late middle age: The roles of socioeconomic status, health behaviors, and health insurance
by Sudano, Joseph J. & Baker, David W.
- 923-940 A socially neutral disease? Individual social class, household wealth and mortality from Spanish influenza in two socially contrasting parishes in Kristiania 1918-19
by Mamelund, Svenn-Erik
- 941-953 Psychometric and cognitive validation of a social capital measurement tool in Peru and Vietnam
by De Silva, Mary J & Harpham, Trudy & Tuan, Tran & Bartolini, Rosario & Penny, Mary E & Huttly, Sharon R
- 954-963 Low linking social capital as a predictor of coronary heart disease in Sweden: A cohort study of 2.8 million people
by Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Yang, Min & Sundquist, Kristina
- 964-976 What factors induce health care decision-makers to use clinical guidelines? Evidence from provincial health ministries, regional health authorities and hospitals in Canada
by Ouimet, Mathieu & Landry, Réjean & Amara, Nabil & Belkhodja, Omar
- 977-986 Long-run consequences of parental paid work hours for child overweight status in Canada
by Phipps, Shelley A. & Lethbridge, Lynn & Burton, Peter
- 987-997 Contradictory sexual norms and expectations for young people in rural Northern Tanzania
by Wight, Daniel & Plummer, Mary L. & Mshana, Gerry & Wamoyi, Joyce & Shigongo, Zachayo S. & Ross, David A.
- 998-1008 Volunteer human subjects' understandings of their participation in a biomedical research experiment
by Morris, Norma & Bàlmer, Brian
- 1009-1021 Lies, damned lies and statistics? Reliability and personal accounts of smoking among young people
by Mair, Michael & Barlow, Alexandra & Woods, Susan E. & Kierans, Ciara & Milton, Beth & Porcellato, Lorna
- 1022-1030 Technogovernance: Evidence, subjectivity, and the clinical encounter in primary care medicine
by May, Carl & Rapley, Tim & Moreira, Tiago & Finch, Tracy & Heaven, Ben
- 1031-1041 Infertility: Testing a helpseeking model
by White, Lynn & McQuillan, Julia & Greil, Arthur L. & Johnson, David R.
2006, Volume 62, Issue 3
- 529-537 Introduction: Patient organization movements and new metamorphoses in patienthood
by Landzelius, Kyra
- 538-551 How to build an "active" patient? The work of AIDS associations in France
by Barbot, Janine
- 552-563 The field of psychiatric contention in the UK, 1960-2000
by Crossley, Nick
- 564-576 From representation to mediation: The shaping of collective mobilization on muscular dystrophy in France
by Rabeharisoa, Vololona
- 577-590 Illnesses you have to fight to get: Facts as forces in uncertain, emergent illnesses
by Dumit, Joseph
- 591-601 "To me, it's my life": Medical communication, trust, and activism in cyberspace
by Radin, Patricia
- 602-613 Pregnancy and infant loss support: A new, feminist, American, patient movement?
by Layne, Linda L.
- 614-627 Contesting contraceptive innovation--Reinventing the script
by Hardon, Anita
- 628-642 Anti-vaccination movements and their interpretations
by Blume, Stuart
- 643-653 Anti-aging medicine: A patient/practitioner movement to redefine aging
by Mykytyn, Courtney Everts
- 654-667 Heroic frames: discursive constructions around the requested death movement in Australia in the late-1990s
by McInerney, Fran
- 668-682 The incubation of a social movement? Preterm babies, parent activists, and neonatal productions in the US context
by Landzelius, Kyra
- 683-693 Viagra's rise above women's health issues: An analysis of the social and political influences on drug approvals in the United States and Japan
by Hollander, Ilyssa
- 694-706 Immunization in india 1993-1999: Wealth, gender, and regional inequalities revisited
by Gaudin, Sylvestre & Yazbeck, Abdo S.
- 707-720 Making health insurance work for the poor: Learning from the Self-Employed Women's Association's (SEWA) community-based health insurance scheme in India
by Kent Ranson, M. & Sinha, Tara & Chatterjee, Mirai & Acharya, Akash & Bhavsar, Ami & Morris, Saul S. & Mills, Anne J.
- 721-730 Conflicts in how interpreters manage their roles in provider-patient interactions
by Hsieh, Elaine
- 731-744 Uncharted ground: Patterns of professional interaction among complementary/alternative and biomedical practitioners in integrative health care settings
by Hollenberg, Daniel
- 745-757 Salience of self-identity roles in persons with dementia: Differences in perceptions among elderly persons, family members and caregivers
by Cohen-Mansfield, Jiska & Parpura-Gill, Aleksandra & Golander, Hava
- 758-768 Nutrition-related health promotion through an after-school project: The responses of children and their families
by Hyland, Rob & Stacy, Rosie & Adamson, Ashley & Moynihan, Paula
- 769-778 Collective efficacy and obesity: The potential influence of social factors on health
by Cohen, Deborah A. & Finch, Brian K. & Bower, Aimee & Sastry, Narayan
- 779-791 Further examination of the cross-country association between income inequality and population health
by Ram, Rati
2006, Volume 62, Issue 2
- 269-279 The voices of older women in a disadvantaged community: Issues of health and social capital
by Boneham, Margaret Anne & Sixsmith, Judith A
- 280-291 Psychosocial work conditions, social participation and social capital: A causal pathway investigated in a longitudinal study
by Lindström, Martin
- 292-302 Social capital: An individual or collective resource for health?
by Poortinga, Wouter
- 303-316 Racial, ethnic, and gender differences in smoking cessation associated with employment and joblessness through young adulthood in the US
by Weden, Margaret M & Astone, Nan M & Bishai, David
- 317-328 What accounts for the relationship between social class and smoking cessation? Results of a path analysis
by Honjo, Kaori & Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kawachi, Ichiro & Kawakami, Norito
- 329-336 Life-course influences on mortality at older ages: Evidence from the Oslo Mortality Study
by Næss, Øyvind & Hernes, Frank H. & Blane, David
- 337-347 Regional and racial disparities in breast cancer-specific mortality
by Grann, Victor & Troxel, Andrea B. & Zojwalla, Naseem & Hershman, Dawn & Glied, Sherry A. & Jacobson, Judith S.
- 348-359 US-based indices of area-level deprivation: Results from HealthCare for Communities
by Eibner, Christine & Sturm, Roland
- 360-374 Gender imbalance in infant mortality: A cross-national study of social structure and female infanticide
by Fuse, Kana & Crenshaw, Edward M.
- 375-386 Determinants of child morbidity in Latin America: A pooled analysis of interactions between parental education and economic status
by Hatt, Laurel E. & Waters, Hugh R.
- 387-395 Barriers to healthy eating amongst men: A qualitative analysis
by Gough, Brendan & Conner, Mark T.
- 396-406 Young teenagers' perceptions of their own and others' bodies: A qualitative study of obese, overweight and 'normal' weight young people in Scotland
by Wills, Wendy & Backett-Milburn, Kathryn & Gregory, Susan & Lawton, Julia
- 407-421 Weighing in primary-care nurse-patient interactions
by Pillet-Shore, Danielle
- 422-432 Studying physician effects on patient outcomes: Physician interactional style and performance on quality of care indicators
by Franks, Peter & F Jerant, Anthony & Fiscella, Kevin & G Shields, Cleveland & J Tancredi, Daniel & M Epstein, Ronald
- 433-443 'Between the demands of truth and government': Health practitioners, trust and immunisation work
by Brownlie, Julie & Howson, Alexandra
- 444-456 Perceived HIV stigma in AIDS caregiving dyads
by Wight, Richard G. & Aneshensel, Carol S. & Murphy, Debra A. & Miller-Martinez, Dana & Beals, Kristin P.
- 457-466 Representations of mad cow disease
by Washer, Peter
- 467-478 Explaining educational-related inequalities in health: Mediation and moderator models
by Thrane, Christer
- 479-490 Cross-cultural perspectives on research participation and informed consent
by Barata, Paula C. & Gucciardi, Enza & Ahmad, Farah & Stewart, Donna E.
- 491-498 The healthy migrant theory: Variations in pregnancy outcomes among US-born migrants
by Wingate, Martha S & Alexander, Greg R
- 499-509 Which surgical decisions should patients participate in and how? Reflections on women's recollections of discussions about variants of hysterectomy
by Entwistle, Vikki & Williams, Brian & Skea, Zoe & MacLennan, Graeme & Bhattacharya, Siladitya
- 510-522 Psychosocial stress and social support as mediators of relationships between income, length of residence and depressive symptoms among African American women on Detroit's eastside
by Schulz, Amy J. & Israel, Barbara A. & Zenk, Shannon N. & Parker, Edith A. & Lichtenstein, Richard & Shellman-Weir, Sheryl & A.B., Laura Klem
2006, Volume 62, Issue 1
- 1-12 Pathways to youth homelessness
by Martijn, Claudine & Sharpe, Louise
- 13-27 The effect of lifetime victimization on the mental health of children and adolescents
by Turner, Heather A. & Finkelhor, David & Ormrod, Richard
- 28-38 Patients, consumers and survivors: A case study of mental health service user discourses
by Speed, Ewen
- 39-49 Social support modifies perceived stigmatization in the first years of mental illness: A longitudinal approach
by Mueller, Brigitte & Nordt, Carlos & Lauber, Christoph & Rueesch, Peter & Meyer, Peter C. & Roessler, Wulf
- 50-58 Social determinants of diagnostic labels in depression
by McPherson, Susan & Armstrong, David
- 59-69 Mothers on the margins: Implications for eradicating perinatal HIV
by Lindau, Stacy Tessler & Jerome, Jessica & Miller, Kate & Monk, Elizabeth & Garcia, Patricia & Cohen, Mardge
- 70-80 Trustful bonds: A key to "becoming a mother" and to reciprocal breastfeeding. Stories of mothers of very preterm infants at a neonatal unit
by Flacking, Renée & Ewald, Uwe & Nyqvist, Kerstin Hedberg & Starrin, Bengt
- 81-92 'She would help me from the heart': An ethnography of Egyptian women in labour
by El-Nemer, Amina & Downe, Soo & Small, Neil
- 93-102 Perceived change in quality of life during the menopause
by Mishra, Gita & Kuh, Diana
- 103-115 Patient characteristics and inequalities in doctors' diagnostic and management strategies relating to CHD: A video-simulation experiment
by Arber, Sara & McKinlay, John & Adams, Ann & Marceau, Lisa & Link, Carol & O'Donnell, Amy
- 116-124 Patient-doctor decision-making about treatment within the consultation--A critical analysis of models
by Wirtz, Veronika & Cribb, Alan & Barber, Nick
- 125-133 Patients' and healthcare providers' understandings of life-sustaining treatment: Are perceptions of goals shared or divergent?
by Rodriguez, Keri L. & Young, Amanda J.
- 134-144 Narrativizing errors of care: Critical incident reporting in clinical practice
by Iedema, Rick & Flabouris, Arthas & Grant, Susan & Jorm, Christine
- 145-156 Cross-district utilization of general hospital care in Nova Scotia: Policy and service delivery implications for rural districts
by Hanlon, Neil & Skedgel, Chris
- 157-164 Religion and survival in a secular region. A twenty year follow-up of 734 Danish adults born in 1914
by la Cour, Peter & Avlund, Kirsten & Schultz-Larsen, Kirsten
- 165-175 Toward a neighborhood resource-based theory of social capital for health: Can Bourdieu and sociology help?
by Carpiano, Richard M.
- 176-188 Social and psychological resources and health outcomes after the World Trade Center disaster
by Adams, Richard E. & Boscarino, Joseph A. & Galea, Sandro
- 189-198 Aging and eating in the rural, southern United States: Beliefs about salt and its effect on health
by Smith, Shannon L. & Quandt, Sara A. & Arcury, Thomas A. & Wetmore, Lindsay K. & Bell, Ronny A. & Vitolins, Mara Z.
- 199-207 The palliative care in assisted living (PCAL) pilot study: Successes, shortfalls, and methodological implications
by Jerant, Anthony F. & Azari, Rahman S. & Nesbitt, Thomas S. & Edwards-Goodbee, Adrienne & Meyers, Frederick J.
- 208-216 Coping strategies as predictors of psychosocial adaptation in a sample of elderly veterans with acquired lower limb amputations
by Desmond, Deirdre M. & MacLachlan, Malcolm
- 217-227 Alcohol use and sexual behaviour among risky drinkers and bar and shebeen patrons in Gauteng province, South Africa
by Morojele, Neo K. & Kachieng'a, Millicent A. & Mokoko, Evodia & Nkoko, Matsobane A. & Parry, Charles D.H. & Nkowane, Annette M. & Moshia, Kgaogelo M. & Saxena, Shekhar
- 228-238 Health world views of post-soviet citizens
by Abbott, Pamela A & Turmov, Sergei & Wallace, Claire
- 239-253 Therapeutic misconception in early phase gene transfer trials
by Henderson, Gail E. & Easter, Michele M. & Zimmer, Catherine & King, Nancy M.P. & Davis, Arlene M. & Rothschild, Barbra Bluestone & Churchill, Larry R. & Wilfond, Benjamin S. & Nelson, Daniel K.
- 254-266 Estimating clandestine abortion with the confidants method--results from Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
by Rossier, Clémentine & Guiella, George & Ouédraogo, Abdoulaye & Thiéba, Blandine