Social Science & Medicine
2005, Volume 61, Issue 11
- 2304-2316 Heavy alcohol use and marital dissolution in the USA
by Ostermann, Jan & Sloan, Frank A. & Taylor, Donald H.
- 2317-2330 Gender role orientations and alcohol use among Moscow and Toronto adults
by Van Gundy, Karen & Schieman, Scott & Kelley, Margaret S. & Rebellon, Cesar J.
- 2331-2344 What makes things happen? An analysis of the development of nine health-promoting measures aimed at children and adolescents in three Swedish municipalities
by Guldbrandsson, Karin & Bremberg, Sven & Bäck, Henry
- 2345-2354 Socio-economic influences on self-rated health in Russian men and women--a life course approach
by Nicholson, Amanda & Bobak, Martin & Murphy, Michael & Rose, Richard & Marmot, Michael
- 2355-2362 Priority setting in hospitals: Fairness, inclusiveness, and the problem of institutional power differences
by Gibson, Jennifer L. & Martin, Douglas K. & Singer, Peter A.
- 2363-2373 "Unless you went in with your head under your arm": Patient perceptions of emergency room visits
by Wellstood, Katie & Wilson, Kathi & Eyles, John
- 2374-2383 Calls to a home birth helpline: Empowerment in childbirth
by Shaw, Rebecca & Kitzinger, Celia
- 2384-2395 Beliefs about treatment of mental health problems among Cambodian American children and parents
by Daley, Tamara C.
- 2396-2406 Challenges and changes in spirituality among doctors who become patients
by Klitzman, Robert L. & Daya, Shaira
- 2407-2422 A longitudinal assessment of inter-sectoral participation in a community-based diabetes prevention programme
by Andersson, Camilla Maria & Bjärås, Gunilla & Tillgren, Per & Östenson, Claes-Göran
- 2423-2433 Pediatric adherence: Perspectives of mothers of children with HIV
by Wrubel, Judith & Tedlie Moskowitz, Judith & Anne Richards, T. & Prakke, Heleen & Acree, Michael & Folkman, Susan
- 2434-2445 Achieving social change on gender-based violence: A report on the impact evaluation of Soul City's fourth series
by Usdin, S. & Scheepers, E. & Goldstein, Susan & Japhet, Garth
- 2446-2459 Achieving the 'good life': Why some people want latrines in rural Benin
by Jenkins, Marion W. & Curtis, Val
- 2460-2465 Sociodemographic and attitudinal correlates of cervical screening uptake in a national sample of women in Britain
by Sutton, Stephen & Rutherford, Celia
2005, Volume 61, Issue 10
- 2065-2083 Local neighbourhood and mental health: Evidence from the UK
by Propper, Carol & Jones, Kelvyn & Bolster, Anne & Burgess, Simon & Johnston, Ron & Sarker, Rebecca
- 2084-2095 Mental health and hostility as predictors of temporary employment: Evidence from two prospective studies
by Virtanen, Marianna & Kivimäki, Mika & Elovainio, Marko & Vahtera, Jussi & Kokko, Katja & Pulkkinen, Lea
- 2096-2105 A census-based socio-economic status (SES) index as a tool to examine the relationship between mental health services use and deprivation
by Tello, Juan Eduardo & Jones, Julia & Bonizzato, Paola & Mazzi, Mariangela & Amaddeo, Francesco & Tansella, Michele
- 2106-2118 The poor have become rich, and the rich have become poor: Collective trauma in the Guinean Languette
by Abramowitz, Sharon A.
- 2119-2131 Health implications of access to social capital: findings from an Australian study
by Ziersch, Anna M.
- 2132-2143 The role of constructed meaning in adaptation to the onset of life-threatening illness
by Fife, Betsy L.
- 2144-2154 Consequences of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic heart failure: The relationship between objective and subjective health
by Arnold, Rosemarie & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Koëter, Gerard H. & de Jongste, Mike J.L. & Sanderman, Robbert
- 2155-2164 Contesting stigma and contested emotions: Personal experience and public perception of specific phobias
by Davidson, Joyce
- 2165-2176 Sedentarization and children's health: Changing discourses in the northeast Badia of Jordan
by Spicer, Neil J.
- 2177-2189 Longevity following the experience of parental divorce
by Martin, Leslie R. & Friedman, Howard S. & Clark, Kathleen M. & Tucker, Joan S.
- 2190-2200 The social trajectory of illness: Autism in the ultraorthodox community in Israel
by Shaked, Michal
- 2201-2211 Social implications of arsenic poisoning in Bangladesh
by Hassan, M. Manzurul & Atkins, Peter J. & Dunn, Christine E.
- 2212-2220 What causes sustainable changes in hygiene behaviour? A cross-sectional study from Kerala, India
by Cairncross, Sandy & Shordt, Kathleen & Zacharia, Suma & Govindan, Beena Kumari
- 2221-2232 Health selection in a 14-year follow-up study--A question of gendered discrimination?
by Hammarström, Anne & Janlert, Urban
- 2233-2251 Widening ethnic mortality disparities in New Zealand 1981-99
by Blakely, Tony & Tobias, Martin & Robson, Bridget & Ajwani, Shilpi & Bonné, Martin & Woodward, Alistair
- 2252-2264 Information giving and decision-making in patients with advanced cancer: A systematic review
by Gaston, Christine M. & Mitchell, Geoffrey
2005, Volume 61, Issue 9
- 1867-1881 Working in London hospitals: Perceptions of place in nursing students' employment considerations
by Brodie, David A. & Andrews, Gavin J. & Andrews, Justin P. & Thomas, B. Gail & Wong, Josephine & Rixon, Lorna
- 1882-1892 Digging deep: Using diary techniques to explore the place of health and well-being amongst older people
by Milligan, Christine & Bingley, Amanda & Gatrell, Anthony
- 1893-1904 Place, policy and practitioners: On rehabilitation, independence and the therapeutic landscape in the changing geography of care provision to older people in the UK
by Martin, Graham P. & Nancarrow, Susan A. & Parker, Hilda & Phelps, Kay & Regen, Emma L.
- 1905-1915 Relationships between child, family and neighbourhood characteristics and childhood injury: A cohort study
by Kendrick, Denise & Mulvaney, Caroline & Burton, Paul & Watson, Michael
- 1916-1929 Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men
by Macleod, John & Davey Smith, George & Metcalfe, Chris & Hart, Carole
- 1930-1943 Interorganizational collaboration for health care between nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in Pakistan
by Gulzar, Laila & Henry, Beverly
- 1944-1951 The use of direct clinician observation and vignettes for health services quality evaluation in developing countries
by Leonard, Kenneth L. & Masatu, Melkiory C.
- 1952-1957 Monitoring cause-specific adult mortality in developing countries: A comparison of data sources for Addis Ababa and its implications for policy and research
by Reniers, Georges & Araya, Tekebash & Schaap, Ab & Kumie, Abera & Kebede, Derege & Nagelkerke, Nico & Coutinho, Roel & Sanders, Eduard J.
- 1958-1970 Creating demand for sanitation and hygiene through Community Health Clubs: A cost-effective intervention in two districts in Zimbabwe
by Waterkeyn, Juliet & Cairncross, Sandy
- 1971-1982 Food insufficiency and women's mental health: Findings from a 3-year panel of welfare recipients
by Heflin, Colleen M. & Siefert, Kristine & Williams, David R.
- 1983-1992 Women as moral pioneers? Experiences of first trimester antenatal screening
by Williams, Clare & Sandall, Jane & Lewando-Hundt, Gillian & Heyman, Bob & Spencer, Kevin & Grellier, Rachel
- 1993-2006 Can women's autonomy impede male involvement in pregnancy health in Katmandu, Nepal?
by Mullany, Britta C. & Hindin, Michelle J. & Becker, Stan
- 2007-2017 Social capital in settings with a high concentration of road traffic injuries. The case of Cuernavaca, Mexico
by Inclán, Cristina & Hijar, Martha & Tovar, Victor
- 2018-2026 The income-associated burden of disease in the United States
by Muennig, Peter & Franks, Peter & Jia, Haomiao & Lubetkin, Erica & Gold, Marthe R
- 2027-2037 Safe asleep? Human-machine relations in medical practice
by Mort, Maggie & Goodwin, Dawn & Smith, Andrew F & Pope, Catherine
- 2038-2046 The experience of SARS-related stigma at Amoy Gardens
by Lee, Sing & Chan, Lydia Y.Y. & Chau, Annie M.Y. & Kwok, Kathleen P.S. & Kleinman, Arthur
2005, Volume 61, Issue 8
- 1629-1639 Using hormone treatment to reduce the adult height of tall girls: Are women satisfied with the decision in later years?
by Pyett, Priscilla & Rayner, Jo & Venn, Alison & Bruinsma, Fiona & Werther, George & Lumley, Judith
- 1640-1648 Speaking of women's 'nameless misery': The everyday construction of depression in Australian women's magazines
by Gattuso, Suzy & Fullagar, Simone & Young, Ilena
- 1649-1657 Research use in children's mental health policy in Canada: Maintaining vigilance amid ambiguity
by Waddell, Charlotte & Lavis, John N. & Abelson, Julia & Lomas, Jonathan & Shepherd, Cody A. & Bird-Gayson, Twylla & Giacomini, Mita & (Dan) Offord, David R.
- 1658-1667 Alcohol dependence and depression among heavy drinkers in Canada
by Lukassen, Jennifer & Beaudet, Marie P.
- 1668-1677 Psychiatric "survivors" and testimonies of self-harm
by Cresswell, Mark
- 1678-1688 Fear of crime, mobility and mental health in inner-city London, UK
by Whitley, Rob & Prince, Martin
- 1689-1700 From mandatory to voluntary testing: Balancing human rights, religious and cultural values, and HIV/AIDS prevention in Ghana
by Luginaah, Isaac N. & Yiridoe, Emmanuel K. & Taabazuing, Mary-Margaret
- 1701-1710 Listening to those on the frontline: Lessons for community-based tuberculosis programmes from a qualitative study in Swaziland
by Escott, Sarah & Walley, John
- 1711-1722 The potential of schoolchildren as health change agents in rural western Kenya
by Onyango-Ouma, W. & Aagaard-Hansen, J. & Jensen, B.B.
- 1723-1732 A comparison of attitudes towards end-of-life decisions: Survey among the Dutch general public and physicians
by Rietjens, Judith A.C. & van der Heide, Agnes & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & van der Maas, Paul J. & van der Wal, Gerrit
- 1733-1740 The medicine user--Lost in translation?: Analysis of the official political debate prior to the deregulation of the Danish medicine distribution system
by Noerreslet, Mikkel & Larsen, Jakob B. & Traulsen, Janine M.
- 1741-1749 Conflicting notions of research ethics: The mutually challenging traditions of social scientists and medical researchers
by Hoeyer, Klaus & Dahlager, Lisa & Lynöe, Niels
- 1750-1760 The flight of physicians from West Africa: Views of African physicians and implications for policy
by Hagopian, Amy & Ofosu, Anthony & Fatusi, Adesegun & Biritwum, Richard & Essel, Ama & Gary Hart, L. & Watts, Carolyn
- 1761-1771 Does NHS Direct empower patients?
by O'Cathain, Alicia & Goode, Jackie & Luff, Donna & Strangleman, Tim & Hanlon, Gerard & Greatbatch, David
- 1772-1775 Physicians' willingness to report impaired colleagues
by Farber, Neil J. & Gilibert, Stephanie G. & Aboff, Brian M. & Collier, Virginia U. & Weiner, Joan & Boyer, E. Gil
- 1776-1784 Relating health policy to women's health outcomes
by Wisdom, Jennifer P. & Berlin, Michelle & Lapidus, Jodi A.
- 1785-1794 Overt and covert barriers to the integration of primary and specialist mental health care
by Gask, Linda
- 1795-1808 Time on my side? Life course trajectories of poverty and health
by McDonough, Peggy & Sacker, Amanda & Wiggins, Richard D.
- 1809-1820 ''If they rape me, I can't blame them": Reflections on gender in the social context of child rape in South Africa and Namibia
by Jewkes, Rachel & Penn-Kekana, Loveday & Rose-Junius, Hetty
- 1821-1827 Internet use and stigmatized illness
by Berger, Magdalena & Wagner, Todd H. & Baker, Laurence C.
- 1828-1834 Reluctant acceptance of xenotransplantation in kidney patients on the waiting list for transplantation
by Kranenburg, Leonieke W. & Kerssens, Chantal & Ijzermans, Jan N.M. & Zuidema, Willij & Weimar, Willem & Busschbach, Jan J.V.
- 1835-1845 Negative affectivity and enhanced symptom reports: Differentiating between symptoms in men and women
by Van Diest, Ilse & De Peuter, Steven & Eertmans, Audrey & Bogaerts, Katleen & Victoir, An & Van den Bergh, Omer
- 1846-1853 Why do patients and families request transfers to tertiary care? a qualitative study
by Dy, Sydney Morss & Rubin, Haya R. & Lehmann, Harold P.
- 1854-1865 Trials and tribulations: Understanding motivations for clinical research participation amongst adults with cystic fibrosis
by Lowton, Karen
2005, Volume 61, Issue 7
- 1381-1384 Editorial: building trust and value in health systems in low- and middle-income countries
by Gilson, Lucy
- 1385-1395 The market shaping of charges, trust and abuse: health care transactions in Tanzania
by Tibandebage, Paula & Mackintosh, Maureen
- 1396-1407 Treatment-seeking behaviour in urban Sri Lanka: Trusting the state, trusting private providers
by Russell, Steven
- 1408-1417 Private obstetric practice in a public hospital: mythical trust in obstetric care
by Riewpaiboon, Wachara & Chuengsatiansup, Komatra & Gilson, Lucy & Tangcharoensathien, Viroj
- 1418-1429 Trust and health worker performance: exploring a conceptual framework using South African evidence
by Gilson, Lucy & Palmer, Natasha & Schneider, Helen
- 1430-1438 Trust in micro-health insurance: an exploratory study in Rwanda
by Schneider, Pia
- 1439-1451 How can trust be investigated? Drawing lessons from past experience
by Goudge, Jane & Gilson, Lucy
- 1452-1462 Information and access to health care: is there a role for trust?
by Thiede, Michael
- 1463-1473 Trust and informed consent: insights from community members on the Kenyan coast
by Molyneux, C.S. & Peshu, N. & Marsh, K.
- 1474-1484 The birth of the e-clinic. Continuity or transformation in the UK governance of pharmaceutical consumption?
by Fox, Nick & Ward, Katie & O'Rourke, Alan
- 1485-1494 Towards a wireless patient: Chronic illness, scarce care and technological innovation in the United Kingdom
by May, Carl & Finch, Tracy & Mair, Frances & Mort, Maggie
- 1495-1504 Essences and imperatives: An investigation of technology in childbirth
by Kornelsen, Jude
- 1505-1515 The somatising effect of clinical consultation: What patients and doctors say and do not say when patients present medically unexplained physical symptoms
by Ring, Adele & Dowrick, Christopher F. & Humphris, Gerry M. & Davies, John & Salmon, Peter
- 1516-1528 Measuring patient-centered communication in Patient-Physician consultations: Theoretical and practical issues
by Epstein, Ronald M. & Franks, Peter & Fiscella, Kevin & Shields, Cleveland G. & Meldrum, Sean C. & Kravitz, Richard L. & Duberstein, Paul R.
- 1529-1539 Gender, religious involvement, and HIV/AIDS prevention in Mozambique
by Agadjanian, Victor
- 1540-1550 Managing uncertainty around HIV/AIDS in an urban setting: Private medical providers and their patients in Pune, India
by Kielmann, Karina & Deshmukh, Deepali & Deshpande, Sucheta & Datye, Vinita & Porter, John & Rangan, Sheela
- 1551-1559 Mental health and socio-economic variations in Australian suicide
by Taylor, Richard & Page, Andrew & Morrell, Stephen & Harrison, James & Carter, Greg
- 1560-1566 Discrepancy in the preferences of place of death between terminally ill cancer patients and their primary family caregivers in Taiwan
by Tang, Siew Tzuh & Liu, Tsang-Wu & Lai, Mei-Shu & McCorkle, Ruth
- 1567-1575 Socioeconomic factors associated with the onset of disability in older age: a longitudinal study of people aged 75 years and over
by Matthews, Ruth J. & Smith, Lucy K. & Hancock, Ruth M. & Jagger, Carol & Spiers, Nicola A.
- 1576-1596 Experiences of discrimination: Validity and reliability of a self-report measure for population health research on racism and health
by Krieger, Nancy & Smith, Kevin & Naishadham, Deepa & Hartman, Cathy & Barbeau, Elizabeth M.
- 1597-1607 Estimation of private and social time preferences for health in northern Tanzania
by Robberstad, Bjarne
- 1608-1617 Determinants of the demand for breast cancer screening among women veterans in the United States
by Lairson, David R. & Chan, Wenyaw & Newmark, Georgina R.
- 1618-1625 Relationship of anxiety, depression and alcohol use disorders to persistent high utilization and potentially problematic under-utilization of primary medical care
by Ford, Julian D. & Trestman, Robert L. & Tennen, Howard & Allen, Scott
2005, Volume 61, Issue 6
- 1119-1134 Effect of specific aspects of community social environment on the mortality of Individuals diagnosed with serious illness
by Wen, Ming & Cagney, Kathleen A. & Christakis, Nicholas A.
- 1135-1150 Neighborhood economic conditions, social processes, and self-rated health in low-income neighborhoods in Texas: A multilevel latent variables model
by Franzini, Luisa & Caughy, Margaret & Spears, William & Eugenia Fernandez Esquer, Maria
- 1151-1158 Social capital and substance use among Swedish adolescents--an explorative study
by Lundborg, Petter
- 1159-1173 The pet connection: Pets as a conduit for social capital?
by Wood, Lisa & Giles-Corti, Billie & Bulsara, Max
- 1174-1188 Individual socio-economic status, community socio-economic status and stroke in New Zealand: A case control study
by Brown, Paul & Guy, Melody & Broad, Joanna
- 1189-1200 "This glorious twilight zone of uncertainty": Mental health consultations in general practice in New Zealand
by Dew, Kevin & Dowell, Anthony & McLeod, Deborah & Collings, Sunny & Bushnell, John
- 1201-1210 'At the point at which you can do something about it, then it becomes more relevant': Informed consent in the pharmacogenetic clinic
by Hedgecoe, Adam
- 1211-1222 Views of US researchers about informed consent in international collaborative research
by Dawson, Liza & Kass, Nancy E.
- 1223-1242 The effect of immigrant generation on smoking
by Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores & Pan, Jocelyn & Jun, Hee-Jin & Osypuk, Theresa L. & Emmons, Karen M.
- 1243-1255 Do healthy behaviors decline with greater acculturation?: Implications for the Latino mortality paradox
by Abraído-Lanza, Ana F. & Chao, Maria T. & Flórez, Karen R.
- 1256-1266 Self-reported health as a cultural health determinant in Arab and Jewish Israelis: MABAT--National Health and Nutrition Survey 1999-2001
by Baron-Epel, Orna & Kaplan, Giora & Haviv-Messika, Amalia & Tarabeia, Jalal & Green, Manfred S. & Nitzan Kaluski, Dorit
- 1267-1277 Combat stress reactions, posttraumatic stress disorder, cumulative life stress, and physical health among Israeli veterans twenty years after exposure to combat
by Benyamini, Yael & Solomon, Zahava
- 1278-1290 Sexuality after breast cancer treatment: Changes and coping strategies among Japanese survivors
by Takahashi, Miyako & Kai, Ichiro
- 1291-1299 Decision-makers and the usefulness of research evidence in policy implementation--a case study from Lao PDR
by Tomson, G. & Paphassarang, C. & Jönsson, K. & Houamboun, K. & Akkhavong, K. & Wahlström, R.
- 1300-1309 Resemblance talk: A challenge for parents whose children were conceived with donor gametes in the US
by Becker, Gay & Butler, Anneliese & Nachtigall, Robert D.
- 1310-1319 The work of forgetting: Germs, aborigines and postcolonial expertise in the Northern Territory of Australia
by Lea, Tess
- 1320-1330 Failure to seek needed medical care: Results from a national health survey of Icelanders
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar
- 1331-1341 Utility-driven evidence for healthy cities: Problems with evidence generation and application
by de Leeuw, Evelyne & Skovgaard, Thomas
- 1342-1355 Economic valuation of informal care: The conjoint measurement method applied to informal caregiving
by van den Berg, Bernard & Al, Maiwenn & Brouwer, Werner & van Exel, Job & Koopmanschap, Marc
- 1356-1368 Understanding the relationship of maternal health behavior change and intervention strategies in a Nicaraguan NGO network
by Valadez, Joseph J. & Hage, Jerald & Vargas, William
- 1369-1380 The moral career of poor patients in free clinics
by Parizot, Isabelle & Chauvin, Pierre & Paugam, Serge
2005, Volume 61, Issue 5
- 881-892 A comparative analysis of drug safety withdrawals in the UK and the US (1971-1992): Implications for current regulatory thinking and policy
by Abraham, John & Davis, Courtney
- 893-906 Global trade, public health, and health services: Stakeholders' constructions of the key issues
by Waitzkin, Howard & Jasso-Aguilar, Rebeca & Landwehr, Angela & Mountain, Carolyn
- 907-919 Income inequality and adult nutritional status: Anthropometric evidence from a pre-industrial society in the Bolivian Amazon
by Godoy, Ricardo & Byron, Elizabeth & Reyes-García, Victoria & Vadez, Vincent & Leonard, William R. & Apaza, Lilian & Huanca, Tomás & Pérez, Eddy & Wilkie, David
- 920-930 Selfhood and social distance: Toward a cultural understanding of psychiatric stigma in Egypt
by Coker, Elizabeth M.
- 931-942 Socio-cultural factors influencing prevention and treatment of tuberculosis in immigrant and Aboriginal communities in Canada
by Gibson, N. & Cave, A. & Doering, D. & Ortiz, L. & Harms, P.
- 943-964 Social capital and mental health: An interdisciplinary review of primary evidence
by Almedom, Astier M.
- 965-975 Neighborhood disorder, psychological distress, and heavy drinking
by Hill, Terrence D. & Angel, Ronald J.
- 976-984 Obtaining sensitive information from a wary population: A comparison of telephone and face-to-face surveys of welfare recipients in the United States
by Pridemore, William Alex & Damphousse, Kelly R. & Moore, Rebecca K.
- 985-988 Third-party informed consent in research with adolescents: The good, the bad and the ugly
by Geluda, Katia & Buarque Bisaglia, Joana & Moreira, Vivian & Motta Maldonado, Beatriz & JLA Cunha, Antônio & Trajman, Anete
- 989-1000 Moving beyond the mother-child dyad: Women's education, child immunization, and the importance of context in rural India
by Parashar, Sangeeta
- 1001-1014 Pregnancy outcomes, site of delivery, and community schisms in regions affected by the armed conflict in Chiapas, Mexico
by Brentlinger, Paula E. & Javier Sánchez-Pérez, Héctor & Arana Cedeño, Marcos & Guadalupe Vargas Morales, Lic. & Hernán, Miguel A. & Micek, Mark A. & Ford, Douglas
- 1015-1025 Physician-patient communication following invasive procedures: an analysis of post-angiogram consultations
by Gordon, Howard S. & Street, Richard Jr. & Adam Kelly, P. & Souchek, Julianne & Wray, Nelda P.
- 1026-1044 The social structural production of HIV risk among injecting drug users
by Rhodes, Tim & Singer, Merrill & Bourgois, Philippe & Friedman, Samuel R. & Strathdee, Steffanie A.
- 1045-1058 Decolonization and the movement for institutionalization of Chinese medicine in Hong Kong: a political process perspective
by Chiu, Stephen W.K. & Ko, Lisanne S.F. & Lee, Rance P.L.
- 1059-1071 Family, kinship, memory and temporality in the age of the new genetics
by Finkler, Kaja
- 1072-1082 Mothers, daughters and sexual agency in one low-income South African community
by Lesch, Elmien & Kruger, Lou-Marie
- 1083-1094 Expectations regarding length and health related quality of life: Some empirical findings
by Brouwer, Werner B.F. & van Exel, N. Job A.
- 1095-1105 Men, sport, spinal cord injury, and narratives of hope
by Smith, Brett & Sparkes, Andrew C.
- 1106-1117 'That's like chopping off a finger because you're afraid it might get broken': Disease and illness in women's views of prophylactic mastectomy
by Press, Nancy & Reynolds, Susan & Pinsky, Linda & Murthy, Vinaya & Leo, Michael & Burke, Wylie
2005, Volume 61, Issue 4
- 745-750 The social production of health: Critical contributions from evolutionary, biological, and cultural anthropology
by Levin, Betty Wolder & Browner, C.H.
- 751-753 The value of a critical ethnographic engagement: comments on the social production of health
by Lindenbaum, Shirley
- 755-765 Evolutionary, historical and political economic perspectives on health and disease
by Armelagos, George J. & Brown, Peter J. & Turner, Bethany
- 767-783 When "health" is not enough: societal, individual and biomedical assessments of well-being among the Matsigenka of the Peruvian Amazon
by Izquierdo, Carolina
- 785-795 Vital warmth and well-being: steambathing as household therapy among the Tzeltal and Tzotzil Maya of highland Chiapas, Mexico
by Groark, Kevin P.
- 797-808 "What's wrong with me?": cervical cancer in Venezuela--living in the borderlands of health, disease, and illness
by Martínez, Rebecca G.
- 809-820 The call to life: revitalizing a healthy Hawaiian identity
by McMullin, Juliet
- 821-831 Desperately seeking "normal": the promise and perils of living with kidney transplantation
by Crowley-Matoka, Megan
- 833-846 Coca-colonization of diets in the Yucatan
by Leatherman, Thomas L. & Goodman, Alan
- 847-859 Limited good and limited vision: multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and global health policy
by Yong Kim, Jim & Shakow, Aaron & Mate, Kedar & Vanderwarker, Chris & Gupta, Rajesh & Farmer, Paul
- 861-878 Receding horizons of health: biocultural approaches to public health paradoxes
by Worthman, Carol M. & Kohrt, Brandon
2005, Volume 61, Issue 3
- 503-516 'It's caveman stuff, but that is to a certain extent how guys still operate': men's accounts of masculinity and help seeking
by O'Brien, Rosaleen & Hunt, Kate & Hart, Graham
- 517-526 Smoking behaviour change among fathers of new infants
by Blackburn, Clare & Bonas, Sheila & Spencer, Nick & Dolan, Alan & Coe, Christine & Moy, Robert
- 527-540 Cultural consonance and arterial blood pressure in urban Brazil
by Dressler, William W. & Balieiro, Mauro C. & Ribeiro, Rosane P. & Ernesto Dos Santos, José
- 541-554 The impact of health care providers on female sterilization among HIV-positive women in Brazil
by Hopkins, Kristine & Maria Barbosa, Regina & Riva Knauth, Daniela & Potter, Joseph E.
- 555-564 Psychological distress among AIDS orphans in rural Uganda
by Atwine, Benjamin & Cantor-Graae, Elizabeth & Bajunirwe, Francis
- 565-576 Adherence, stereotyping and unequal HIV treatment for active users of illegal drugs
by Ware, Norma C. & Wyatt, Monique A. & Tugenberg, Toni
- 577-590 The ecology of health care in Hong Kong
by Leung, Gabriel M. & O.L. Wong, Irene & Chan, Wai-Sum & Choi, Sarah & Lo, Su-Vui
- 591-599 Exposure to suicide and suicidal behaviors among Hong Kong adolescents
by Wong, Joy P.S. & Stewart, Sunita M. & Ho, S.Y. & Rao, Uma & Lam, T.H.
- 601-611 Longitudinal study of child immunization determinants in China
by Xie, Jipan & Dow, William H.
- 613-625 Measuring the quality of child health care at first-level facilities
by Gouws, Eleanor & Bryce, Jennifer & Pariyo, George & Armstrong Schellenberg, Joanna & Amaral, João & Habicht, Jean-Pierre
- 627-635 Comparison or consumption? Distinguishing between different effects of income on health in Nordic welfare states
by Yngwe, Monica Åberg & Fritzell, Johan & Burström, Bo & Lundberg, Olle
- 637-647 Health inequalities by wage income in Sweden: The role of work environment
by Hemström, Örjan
- 649-659 Tobacco taxation and public health: ethical problems, policy responses
by Wilson, Nick & Thomson, George
- 661-671 Coding patient-centred behaviour in the medical encounter
by Zandbelt, Linda C. & Smets, Ellen M.A. & Oort, Frans J. & de Haes, Hanneke C.J.M.
- 673-684 The impact of a police drug crackdown on drug injectors' ability to practice harm reduction: A qualitative study
by Cooper, Hannah & Moore, Lisa & Gruskin, Sofia & Krieger, Nancy
- 685-695 Patient preferences in randomised controlled trials: Conceptual framework and implications for research
by Bower, Peter & King, Michael & Nazareth, Irwin & Lampe, Fiona & Sibbald, Bonnie
- 697-708 Carer distress: A prospective, population-based study
by Hirst, Michael
- 709-719 'MMR talk' and vaccination choices: An ethnographic study in Brighton
by Poltorak, Mike & Leach, Melissa & Fairhead, James & Cassell, Jackie
- 721-730 Structural violence and schizophrenia
by Kelly, Brendan D.
- 731-740 Forecasting science futures: Legitimising hope and calming fears in the embryo stem cell debate
by Kitzinger, Jenny & Williams, Clare
2005, Volume 61, Issue 2
- 253-262 Continuity through change: The rhetoric and reality of health reform in New Zealand
by Ashton, Toni & Mays, Nicholas & Devlin, Nancy
- 263-266 Developing a scale for measuring professional equity among Canadian physicians
by Dobson, Roy Thomas & Lepnurm, Rein & Struening, Elmer
- 267-277 The impact of considering adaptation in health state valuation
by Damschroder, Laura J. & Zikmund-Fisher, Brian J. & Ubel, Peter A.
- 279-291 Maternal and child health and family planning service utilization in Guatemala: implications for service integration
by Seiber, Eric E. & Hotchkiss, David R. & Rous, Jeffrey J. & Berruti, Andrés A.
- 293-303 Smoking behavior in persons with a schizophrenia-spectrum disorder: a qualitative investigation of the transtheoretical model
by Esterberg, Michelle L. & Compton, Michael T.
- 305-311 Effects of patients with bipolar, schizophrenic, and major depressive disorders on the mental and other healthcare expenses of family members
by Gianfrancesco, Frank D. & Wang, Ruey-hua & Yu, Elaine
- 313-322 Family burden in long-term diseases: a comparative study in schizophrenia vs. physical disorders
by Magliano, Lorenza & Fiorillo, Andrea & De Rosa, Corrado & Malangone, Claudio & Maj, Mario
- 323-332 "Like roulette": Australian women's explanations of gynecological cancers
by Manderson, Lenore & Markovic, Milica & Quinn, Michael
- 333-341 Medical disorders of suicides in Australia: analysis using a multiple-cause-of-death approach
by Ruzicka, Lado T. & Choi, Ching Y. & Sadkowsky, Krys
- 343-364 Women's experience of intimate partner violence in Haiti
by Gage, Anastasia J.
- 365-377 Does pregnancy provide immunity from intimate partner abuse among Hong Kong Chinese women?
by Lau, Ying
- 379-391 What does skin color have to do with infant health? An analysis of low birth weight among mainland and island Puerto Ricans
by Landale, Nancy S. & Oropesa, R.S.
- 393-403 Visualising abortion: emotion discourse and fetal imagery in a contemporary abortion debate
by Hopkins, Nick & Zeedyk, Suzanne & Raitt, Fiona
- 405-415 Boundary breaches: the body, sex and sexuality after stoma surgery
by Manderson, Lenore
- 417-430 Storylines of research in diffusion of innovation: a meta-narrative approach to systematic review
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Robert, Glenn & Macfarlane, Fraser & Bate, Paul & Kyriakidou, Olympia & Peacock, Richard
- 431-441 Managing constraint: the experience of people with chronic pain
by Miles, A. & Curran, H.V. & Pearce, S. & Allan, L.
- 443-454 'Even if they ask you to stand by a tree all day, you will have to do it (laughter)...!': Community voices on the notion and practice of informed consent for biomedical research in developing countries
by Molyneux, C.S. & Wassenaar, D.R. & Peshu, N. & Marsh, K.
- 455-463 Inequities in healthcare seeking in the treatment of communicable endemic diseases in Southeast Nigeria
by Onwujekwe, Obinna
- 465-479 From a relationship to encounter: an examination of longitudinal and lateral dimensions in the doctor-patient relationship
by Potter, Sharyn J. & McKinlay, John B.
- 481-493 The structure of patients' presenting concerns: the completion relevance of current symptoms
by Robinson, Jeffrey D. & Heritage, John
- 495-502 Is what I have just a cold or is it dengue? Addressing the gap between the politics of dengue control and daily life in Villavicencio-Colombia
by Roberto Suarez, M. & Maria Fernanda Olarte, S. & Ana, M.F.A. & Catalina González, U.
2005, Volume 61, Issue 1
- 1-14 Does work really cause distress? The contribution of occupational structure and work organization to the experience of psychological distress
by Marchand, Alain & Demers, Andrée & Durand, Pierre
- 15-25 Dealing with it: Black Caribbean women's response to adversity and psychological distress associated with pregnancy, childbirth, and early motherhood
by Edge, Dawn & Rogers, Anne
- 27-39 Job strain, iso-strain, and the incidence of low back and neck injuries. A 7.5-year prospective study of San Francisco transit operators
by Rugulies, Reiner & Krause, Niklas
- 41-52 Job insecurity and its association with health among employees in the Taiwanese general population
by Cheng, Yawen & Chen, Chun-Wan & Chen, Chiou-Jong & Chiang, Tung-liang
- 53-63 Ethnic variation in health and the determinants of health among Latinos
by Zsembik, Barbara A. & Fennell, Dana
- 65-75 Primary care, race, and mortality in US states
by Shi, Leiyu & Macinko, James & Starfield, Barbara & Politzer, Robert & Xu, Jiahong
- 77-82 Arab immigrants: a new case for ethnicity and health?
by Read, Jen'nan Ghazal & Amick, Benjamin & Donato, Katharine M.
- 83-96 Income inequality and weight status in US metropolitan areas
by Chang, Virginia W. & Christakis, Nicholas A.
- 97-109 Access, utilization, quality, and effective coverage: An integrated conceptual framework and measurement strategy
by Shengelia, Bakhuti & Tandon, Ajay & Adams, Orvill B. & Murray, Christopher J.L.
- 111-122 Psychosocial work characteristics and incidence of newly diagnosed depression: a prospective cohort study of three different models
by Ylipaavalniemi, Jaana & Kivimäki, Mika & Elovainio, Marko & Virtanen, Marianna & Keltikangas-Järvinen, Liisa & Vahtera, Jussi
- 123-132 The role of psychosocial factors in explaining socio-economic differences in mobility decline in a chronically ill population: results from the GLOBE study
by Koster, Annemarie & Bosma, Hans & van Lenthe, Frank J. & Kempen, Gertrudis I.J.M. & Mackenbach, Johan P. & van Eijk, Jacques Th.M.
- 133-155 Resisting medicines: a synthesis of qualitative studies of medicine taking
by Pound, Pandora & Britten, Nicky & Morgan, Myfanwy & Yardley, Lucy & Pope, Catherine & Daker-White, Gavin & Campbell, Rona
- 157-170 Conceptualizing mainstream health care providers' behaviours in relation to complementary and alternative medicine
by Hirschkorn, K.A. & Bourgeault, I.L.
- 171-183 HIV and intimate partner violence among methadone-maintained women in New York City
by El-Bassel, Nabila & Gilbert, Louisa & Wu, Elwin & Go, Hyun & Hill, Jennifer
- 185-198 Social capital and young adolescents' perceived health in different sociocultural settings
by Drukker, Marjan & Buka, Stephen L. & Kaplan, Charles & McKenzie, Kwame & Van Os, Jim