Social Science & Medicine
2007, Volume 64, Issue 9
- 1904-1913 Average household income, crime, and smoking behaviour in a local area: The Finnish 10-Town study
by Virtanen, Marianna & Kivimäki, Mika & Kouvonen, Anne & Elovainio, Marko & Linna, Anne & Oksanen, Tuula & Vahtera, Jussi
- 1914-1924 General preferences for involvement in treatment decision making among European women with urinary incontinence
by O' Donnell, Máire & Monz, Brigitta & Hunskaar, Steinar
- 1925-1936 There's no place like (a) home: Ontological security among persons with serious mental illness in the United States
by Padgett, Deborah K.
- 1937-1947 Agency and dependency within treatment: Drug treatment clients negotiating methadone and antidepressants
by Holt, Martin
- 1948-1959 The production of disability culture among young African-American men
by Devlieger, Patrick J. & Albrecht, Gary L. & Hertz, Miram
- 1960-1969 Ethical challenges in the design and conduct of locally relevant international health research
by Simon, Christian & Mosavel, Maghboeba & van Stade, Debbie
- 1970-1976 People, other animals and health knowledges: Towards a research agenda
by Rock, Melanie & Mykhalovskiy, Eric & Schlich, Thomas
2007, Volume 64, Issue 8
- 1549-1559 Examining attribution model of self-stigma on social support and psychological well-being among people with HIV+/AIDS
by Mak, Winnie W.S. & Cheung, Rebecca Y.M. & Law, Rita W. & Woo, Jean & Li, Patrick C.K. & Chung, Rita W.Y.
- 1560-1571 Drug abuse, HIV/AIDS and stigmatisation in a Dai community in Yunnan, China
by Deng, Rui & Li, Jianghong & Sringernyuang, Luechai & Zhang, Kaining
- 1572-1584 An information-motivation-behavioral skills (IMB) model-based HIV prevention intervention for truck drivers in India
by Cornman, Deborah H. & Schmiege, Sarah J. & Bryan, Angela & Joseph Benziger, T. & Fisher, Jeffrey D.
- 1585-1599 The political economy of AIDS leadership in developing countries: An exploratory analysis
by Bor, Jacob
- 1600-1610 Seeking help for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in developing countries: A study of parental explanatory models in Goa, India
by Wilcox, Claire E. & Washburn, Rachel & Patel, Vikram
- 1611-1623 Legacies of primary health care in an age of health sector reform: Vietnam's commune clinics in transition
by Fritzen, Scott A.
- 1624-1635 Neither seen nor heard: Children and homecare policy in Canada
by Peter, Elizabeth & Spalding, Karen & Kenny, Nuala & Conrad, Patricia & McKeever, Patricia & Macfarlane, Amy
- 1636-1650 A spatial analysis of the determinants of pneumonia and influenza hospitalizations in Ontario (1992-2001)
by Crighton, Eric J. & Elliott, Susan J. & Moineddin, Rahim & Kanaroglou, Pavlos & Upshur, Ross
- 1651-1664 KW - Quebec: A local-scale evaluation system
by Philibert, M.D. & Pampalon, R. & Hamel, D. & Thouez, J.-P. & Loiselle, C.G.
- 1665-1678 Health differences between European countries
by Olsen, Karen M. & Dahl, Svenn-Åge
- 1679-1691 Relieving suffering at the end of life: Practitioners' perspectives on palliative sedation from three European countries
by Seymour, Jane E. & Janssens, Rien & Broeckaert, Bert
- 1692-1703 'Getting on with life': The experiences of older people using complementary health care
by Cartwright, Tina
- 1704-1718 Constructions of sexuality and intimacy after cancer: Patient and health professional perspectives
by Hordern, Amanda Jane & Street, Annette F.
- 1719-1737 Preliminary development and validation of an Australian community participation questionnaire: Types of participation and associations with distress in a coastal community
by Berry, Helen Louise & Rodgers, Bryan & Dear, Keith B.G.
- 1738-1753 Several methods to investigate relative attribute impact in stated preference experiments
by Lancsar, Emily & Louviere, Jordan & Flynn, Terry
- 1754-1765 Complexity and reflexivity: Two important issues for economic evaluation in health care
by Lessard, Chantale
- 1766-1775 Racial disparities in diabetes a century ago: Evidence from the pension files of US Civil War veterans
by Humphreys, Margaret & Costanzo, Philip & Haynie, Kerry L. & Østbye, Truls & Boly, Idrissa & Belsky, Daniel & Sloan, Frank
- 1776-1787 Narratives from caregivers of children surviving the terrorist attack in Beslan: Issues of health, culture, and resilience
by Moscardino, Ughetta & Axia, Giovanna & Scrimin, Sara & Capello, Fabia
2007, Volume 64, Issue 7
- 1355-1362 Pathways of influence on equity in health
by Starfield, Barbara
- 1363-1366 We also need bold experiments: A response to Starfield's "Commentary: Pathways of influence on equity in health"
by Braveman, Paula A.
- 1367-1370 The challenge of prevention: A response to Starfield's "Commentary: Pathways of influence on equity in health"
by Wilkinson, Richard
- 1371-1372 Pathways of influence on equity in health: A rejoinder to Braveman and Wilkinson
by Starfield, Barbara
- 1373-1383 Social capital, trust in the health-care system and self-rated health: The role of access to health care in a population-based study
by Mohseni, Mohabbat & Lindstrom, Martin
- 1384-1391 Is social participation associated with cardiovascular disease risk factors?
by Ellaway, Anne & Macintyre, Sally
- 1392-1406 Linked versus unlinked estimates of mortality and length of life by education and marital status: Evidence from the first record linkage study in Lithuania
by Shkolnikov, Vladimir M. & Jasilionis, Domantas & Andreev, Evgeny M. & Jdanov, Dmitri A. & Stankuniene, Vladislava & Ambrozaitiene, Dalia
- 1407-1419 Quantifying the urban environment: A scale measure of urbanicity outperforms the urban-rural dichotomy
by Dahly, Darren L. & Adair, Linda S.
- 1420-1424 Business cycles, migration and health
by Halliday, Timothy J.
- 1425-1437 The impact of disability transitions on social inclusion
by Gannon, Brenda & Nolan, Brian
- 1438-1449 Health inequalities in Scotland and England: the contrasting journeys of ideas from research into policy
by Smith, Katherine Elizabeth
- 1450-1462 Factors affecting primary care physicians' perceptions of health system reform in Israel: Professional autonomy versus organizational affiliation
by Gross, Revital & Tabenkin, Hava & Brammli-Greenberg, Shuli
- 1463-1474 Health care for the poor--An exploration of primary-care physicians' perceptions of poor patients and of their helping behaviors
by Monnickendam, Menachem & Monnickendam, Shlomo M. & Katz, Chana & Katan, Joseph
- 1475-1486 Professional accounts of electroconvulsive therapy: A discourse analysis
by Stevens, Peter & Harper, David J.
- 1487-1500 Deciding to resuscitate extremely premature babies: How do parents and neonatologists engage in the decision?
by Payot, Antoine & Gendron, Sylvie & Lefebvre, Francine & Doucet, Hubert
- 1501-1511 Treating asthma with a self-management model of illness behaviour in an Australian community pharmacy setting
by Smith, Lorraine & Bosnic-Anticevich, Sinthia Z. & Mitchell, Bernadette & Saini, Bandana & Krass, Ines & Armour, Carol
- 1512-1523 Pragmatic pluralism: Mutual tolerance of contested understandings between orthodox and alternative practitioners in autologous stem cell transplantation
by Little, Miles & Jordens, Christopher F.C. & McGrath, Catherine & Montgomery, Kathleen & Kerridge, Ian & Carter, Stacy M.
- 1524-1535 Culture and stigma: Adding moral experience to stigma theory
by Yang, Lawrence Hsin & Kleinman, Arthur & Link, Bruce G. & Phelan, Jo C. & Lee, Sing & Good, Byron
- 1536-1547 Intimate partner violence among Afghan women living in refugee camps in Pakistan
by Hyder, Adnan A. & Noor, Zarin & Tsui, Emma
2007, Volume 64, Issue 6
- 1153-1165 Nursing in Bangladesh: Rhetoric and reality
by Hadley, Mary B. & Roques, Angie
- 1166-1177 Why Bangladeshi nurses avoid 'nursing': Social and structural factors on hospital wards in Bangladesh
by Hadley, Mary B. & Blum, Lauren S. & Mujaddid, Saraana & Parveen, Shahana & Nuremowla, Sadid & Haque, Mohammad Enamul & Ullah, Mohammad
- 1178-1191 Workplace harassment patterning, gender, and utilization of professional services: Findings from a US national study
by Shannon, Candice A. & Rospenda, Kathleen M. & Richman, Judith A.
- 1192-1203 John Henryism, self-reported physical health indicators, and the mediating role of perceived stress among high socio-economic status Asian immigrants
by Haritatos, Jana & Mahalingam, Ramaswami & James, Sherman A.
- 1204-1215 Course and predictors of mental health of unaccompanied refugee minors in the Netherlands: One year follow-up
by Bean, Tammy M. & Eurelings-Bontekoe, Elisabeth & Spinhoven, Philip
- 1216-1230 Gender and health care utilization: The role of mental distress and help-seeking propensity
by Koopmans, Gerrit T. & Lamers, Leida M.
- 1231-1241 Evaluations of community mental health care in low- and middle-income countries: A 10-year review of the literature
by Wiley-Exley, Elizabeth
- 1242-1252 Modelling covariates for the SF-6D standard gamble health state preference data using a nonparametric Bayesian method
by Kharroubi, Samer & Brazier, John E. & O'Hagan, Anthony
- 1253-1264 Decentralisation and convergence in health among the provinces of Spain (1980-2001)
by Montero-Granados, Roberto & de Dios Jiménez, Juan & Martín, José
- 1265-1277 Private or public? An empirical analysis of the importance of work values for work sector choice among Norwegian medical specialists
by Midttun, Linda
- 1278-1284 Why are you draining your brain? Factors underlying decisions of graduating Lebanese medical students to migrate
by Akl, Elie A. & Maroun, Nancy & Major, Stella & Afif, Claude & Chahoud, Bechara & Choucair, Jacques & Sakr, Mazen & Schünemann, Holger J.
- 1285-1296 Re-examining 'professionalism' in pharmacy: A South African perspective
by Williams, Kevin Frank
- 1297-1310 The meaning of patient involvement and participation in health care consultations: A taxonomy
by Thompson, Andrew G.H.
- 1311-1325 A comparative analysis of the use of maternal health services between teenagers and older mothers in sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS)
by Magadi, Monica Akinyi & Agwanda, Alfred O. & Obare, Francis O.
- 1326-1342 Exceptions to the rule: Healthy deprived areas and unhealthy wealthy areas
by van Hooijdonk, Carolien & Droomers, Mariël & van Loon, Jeanne A.M. & van der Lucht, Fons & Kunst, Anton E.
- 1343-1354 Off the couch and on the move: Global public health and the medicalisation of nature
by Brown, Tim & Bell, Morag
2007, Volume 64, Issue 5
- 1015-1018 HIV/AIDS, gender, agency and empowerment issues in Africa
by Kalipeni, Ezekiel & Oppong, Joseph & Zerai, Assata
- 1019-1031 Urban-rural differences in the socioeconomic deprivation-Sexual behavior link in Kenya
by Dodoo, F. Nii-Amoo & Zulu, Eliya M. & Ezeh, Alex C.
- 1032-1041 The poverty-HIV/AIDS nexus in Africa: A livelihood approach
by Masanjala, Winford
- 1042-1056 Market incentives, human lives, and AIDS vaccines
by Craddock, Susan
- 1057-1066 Sexual risk behavior among people living with HIV/AIDS in Togo
by Moore, Ami R. & Oppong, Joseph
- 1067-1078 Cohabitation, marriage, and 'sexual monogamy' in Nairobi's slums
by Hattori, Megan Klein & Dodoo, F. Nii-Amoo
- 1079-1089 Factors inhibiting educated mothers in Kenya from giving meaningful sex-education to their daughters
by Mbugua, Njeri
- 1090-1101 Sex in Geneva, sex in Lilongwe, and sex in Balaka
by Tawfik, Linda & Watkins, Susan Cotts
- 1102-1115 The condom is an 'intruder' in marriage: Evidence from rural Malawi
by Chimbiri, Agnes M.
- 1116-1127 Concern and practice among men about HIV/AIDS in low socioeconomic income areas of Lilongwe, Malawi
by Kalipeni, Ezekiel & Ghosh, Jayati
- 1128-1150 HIV/AIDS and the construction of Sub-Saharan Africa: Heuristic lessons from the social sciences for policy
by Yeboah, Ian E.A.
2007, Volume 64, Issue 4
- 757-761 Socioeconomic status and health in childhood: A comment on Chen, Martin and Matthews, "Socioeconomic status and health: Do gradients differ within childhood and adolescence?" (62:9, 2006, 2161-2170)
by Case, Anne & Paxson, Christina & Vogl, Tom
- 762-764 Issues in exploring variation in childhood socioeconomic gradients by age: A response to Case, Paxson, and Vogl
by Chen, Edith & Martin, Andrew D. & Matthews, Karen A.
- 765-775 Is attachment style a source of resilience against health inequalities at work?
by Bartley, Mel & Head, Jenny & Stansfeld, Stephen
- 776-781 Is precarious employment more damaging to women's health than men's?
by Menéndez, María & Benach, Joan & Muntaner, Carles & Amable, Marcelo & O'Campo, Patricia
- 782-793 Workplace injury or "part of the job"?: Towards a gendered understanding of injuries and complaints among young workers
by Curtis Breslin, F. & Polzer, Jessica & MacEachen, Ellen & Morrongiello, Barbara & Shannon, Harry
- 794-806 The social distribution of risk at work: Acute injuries and physical assaults among healthcare workers working in a long-term care facility
by Myers, Douglas J. & Kriebel, David & Karasek, Robert & Punnett, Laura & Wegman, David H.
- 807-817 Older siblings as supervisors: Does this influence young children's risk of unintentional injury?
by Morrongiello, Barbara A. & MacIsaac, Trevor J. & Klemencic, Nora
- 818-829 Income change at retirement, neighbourhood-based social support, and ischaemic heart disease: Results from the prospective cohort study "Men born in 1914"
by Chaix, Basile & Isacsson, Sven-Olof & Råstam, Lennart & Lindström, Martin & Merlo, Juan
- 830-841 Social support at work and the risk of myocardial infarction and stroke in women and men
by André-Petersson, Lena & Engström, Gunnar & Hedblad, Bo & Janzon, Lars & Rosvall, Maria
- 842-849 Prevalence of mental disorders in children and adolescents from a Spanish slum
by Ezpeleta, Lourdes & Guillamón, Noemí & Granero, Roser & de la Osa, Núria & María Domènech, Josep & Moya, Isabel
- 850-857 Psychological distress among parents of children with mental retardation in the United Arab Emirates
by Khamis, Vivian
- 858-870 China's transition: The effect of rapid urbanization on adult occupational physical activity
by Monda, Keri L. & Gordon-Larsen, Penny & Stevens, June & Popkin, Barry M.
- 871-883 Characteristics of the institutionalized and community-residing oldest-old in China
by Gu, Danan & Dupre, Matthew E. & Liu, Guangya
- 884-896 Health insurance benefit packages prioritized by low-income clients in India: Three criteria to estimate effectiveness of choice
by Dror, David Mark & Koren, Ruth & Ost, Alexander & Binnendijk, Erika & Vellakkal, Sukumar & Danis, Marion
- 897-910 Priority setting in health care using multi-attribute utility theory and programme budgeting and marginal analysis (PBMA)
by Peacock, Stuart J. & Richardson, Jeff R.J. & Carter, Rob & Edwards, Diana
- 911-923 Managing risk: Risk perception, trust and control in a Primary Care Partnership
by Walker, Rae & Bisset, Penny & Adam, Jenny
- 924-937 Interpreters as co-diagnosticians: Overlapping roles and services between providers and interpreters
by Hsieh, Elaine
- 938-948 Re-expressing the division of British medicine under the NHS: The importance of locality in general practitioners' oral histories
by Smith, Graham & Nicolson, Malcolm
- 949-953 Social marketing: Should it be used to promote evidence-based health information?
by Formoso, Giulio & Marata, Anna Maria & Magrini, Nicola
- 954-964 Hope is the pillar of the universe: Health-care providers' experiences of delivering anti-retroviral therapy in primary health-care clinics in the Free State province of South Africa
by Stein, Joanne & Lewin, Simon & Fairall, Lara
- 965-975 Assisting or compromising intervention? The concept of 'culture' in biomedical and social research on HIV/AIDS
by Taylor, Julie J.
- 976-988 Achieving sustainability of community-based dengue control in Santiago de Cuba
by Toledo Romani, Maria E. & Vanlerberghe, Veerle & Perez, Dennis & Lefevre, Pierre & Ceballos, Enrique & Bandera, Digna & Baly Gil, Alberto & Van der Stuyft, Patrick
- 989-1000 Making sense of dementia in the social world: A qualitative study
by Langdon, Shani A. & Eagle, Andrew & Warner, James
- 1001-1014 Meaning and coherence of self and health: An approach based on narratives of life events
by Ville, Isabelle & Khlat, Myriam
2007, Volume 64, Issue 3
- 509-520 The desirability and feasibility of scaling up community health insurance in low-income settings--Lessons from Armenia
by Poletti, Tim & Balabanova, Dina & Ghazaryan, Olga & Kocharyan, Hasmik & Hakobyan, Margarita & Arakelyan, Karen & Normand, Charles
- 521-530 Gifts, bribes and solicitions: Print media and the social construction of informal payments to doctors in Taiwan
by Chiu, Yu-Chan & Smith, Katherine Clegg & Morlock, Laura & Wissow, Lawrence
- 531-542 Using focus groups to develop contingent valuation scenarios--A case study of women's groups in rural Nepal
by Borghi, Josephine & Shrestha, Daya L. & Shrestha, Deepa & Jan, Stephen
- 543-553 Disciplinary careers of drug-impaired physicians
by Holtman, Matthew C.
- 554-561 The sustainability of functional foods
by Sibbel, Anne
- 562-576 Integrating conventional science and aboriginal perspectives on diabetes using fuzzy cognitive maps
by Giles, Brian G. & Findlay, C. Scott & Haas, George & LaFrance, Brenda & Laughing, Wesley & Pembleton, Sakakohe
- 577-588 Exploring the altered daily geographies and lifeworlds of women living with fibromyalgia syndrome: A mixed-method approach
by Crooks, Valorie A.
- 589-603 Towards an epidemiological understanding of the effects of long-term institutional changes on population health: A case study of Canada versus the USA
by Siddiqi, Arjumand & Hertzman, Clyde
- 604-616 Culture as an explanation for substance-related problems: A cross-national study among French and Dutch adolescents
by Knibbe, Ronald Arnold & Joosten, Jan & Choquet, Marie & Derickx, Mieke & Morin, Delphine & Monshouwer, Karin
- 617-632 Place and provision: Mapping mental health advocacy services in London
by Foley, Ronan & Platzer, Hazel
- 633-645 Places, people and mental health: A multilevel analysis of economic inactivity
by Fone, David & Dunstan, Frank & Williams, Gareth & Lloyd, Keith & Palmer, Stephen
- 646-655 Early life determinants of musculoskeletal sickness absence in a cohort of Norwegians born in 1967-1976
by Kristensen, Petter & Bjerkedal, Tor & Irgens, Lorentz M.
- 656-664 State-level homicide victimization rates in the US in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003
by Miller, Matthew & Hemenway, David & Azrael, Deborah
- 665-675 Expansion of HIV/AIDS in China: Lessons from Yunnan Province
by Xiao, Yan & Kristensen, Sibylle & Sun, Jiangping & Lu, Lin & Vermund, Sten H.
- 676-688 In practice, the theory is different: A processual analysis of breastfeeding in northeast Brazil
by Scavenius, Michael & van Hulsel, Lonneke & Meijer, Julia & Wendte, Hans & Gurgel, Ricardo
- 689-700 The changing political economy of sex in South Africa: The significance of unemployment and inequalities to the scale of the AIDS pandemic
by Hunter, Mark
- 701-712 Home management of childhood diarrhoea in southern Mali--Implications for the introduction of zinc treatment
by Ellis, Amy A. & Winch, Peter & Daou, Zana & Gilroy, Kate E. & Swedberg, Eric
- 713-723 Family context of mental health risk in Tsunami-exposed adolescents: Findings from a pilot study in Sri Lanka
by Wickrama, K.A.S. & Kaspar, Violet
- 724-734 Genetic counseling communication with an African American BRCA1 kindred
by Ellington, Lee & Maxwel, Amiee & Baty, Bonnie J. & Roter, Debra & Dudley, William N. & Kinney, Anita Y.
- 735-746 Recovery following stroke: The role of self-management education
by Kendall, Elizabeth & Catalano, Tara & Kuipers, Pim & Posner, Natasha & Buys, Nicholas & Charker, Jill
- 747-754 The decline in Australian young male suicide
by Morrell, Stephen & Page, Andrew N. & Taylor, Richard J.
2007, Volume 64, Issue 2
- 259-271 Seven habits of highly effective global public-private health partnerships: Practice and potential
by Buse, Kent & Harmer, Andrew M.
- 272-282 Tackling community concerns about commercialisation and genetic research: A modest interdisciplinary proposal
by Haddow, Gillian & Laurie, Graeme & Cunningham-Burley, Sarah & Hunter, Kathryn G.
- 283-286 Selecting new health technologies for evaluation: Can clinical experts predict which new anticancer drugs will impact Danish health care?
by Douw, Karla & Vondeling, Hindrik
- 287-291 Intellectual property organizations and pharmaceutical patents in Africa
by Deiss, Robert
- 292-302 Dignity and health: A review
by Jacobson, Nora
- 303-313 Participation and knowledge related to a nursing home admission decision among a working age population
by Miller, Nancy & Weinstein, Marcie
- 314-325 Ambiguities of chronic illness management and challenges to the medical error paradigm
by Lutfey, Karen E. & Freese, Jeremy
- 326-337 'Real men don't diet': An analysis of contemporary newspaper representations of men, food and health
by Gough, Brendan
- 338-349 Masculinities fathering and health: The experiences of African-Caribbean and white working class fathers
by Williams, Robert Alan
- 350-362 Young men's ambivalence toward alcohol
by de Visser, Richard O. & Smith, Jonathan A.
- 363-374 Clinic consultations with children and parents on the dietary management of cystic fibrosis
by Savage, Eileen & Callery, Peter
- 375-388 Maternal social and pyschological conditions and physical growth in low-income children in Piauí, Northeast Brazil
by Surkan, Pamela J. & Ryan, Louise M. & Carvalho Vieira, Lina M. & Berkman, Lisa F. & Peterson, Karen E.
- 389-400 Daily negative interactions and mood among patients and partners dealing with multiple sclerosis (MS): The moderating effects of emotional support
by Kleiboer, Annet M. & Kuijer, Roeline G. & Hox, Joop J. & Jongen, Peter J.H. & Frequin, Stephan T.F.M. & Bensing, Jozien M.
- 401-410 The contribution of working conditions and social support to the onset of depressive and anxiety disorders among male and female employees
by Plaisier, Inger & de Bruijn, Jeanne G.M. & de Graaf, Ron & Have, Margreet ten & Beekman, Aartjan T.F. & Penninx, Brenda W.J.H.
- 411-416 Effect of personal cancer history and family cancer history on levels of psychological distress
by Rabin, Carolyn & Rogers, Michelle L. & Pinto, Bernardine M. & Nash, Justin M. & Frierson, Georita M. & Trask, Peter C.
- 417-427 Feeling like a burden: Exploring the perspectives of patients at the end of life
by McPherson, Christine J. & Wilson, Keith G. & Murray, Mary Ann
- 428-438 Some issues in the provision of adult bereavement support by UK hospices
by Field, David & Payne, Sheila & Relf, Marilyn & Reid, David
- 439-450 The decision-making process of parents regarding organ donation of their brain dead child: A Greek study
by Bellali, Thalia & Papadatou, Danai
- 451-461 Combining individual and ecological data to determine compositional and contextual socio-economic risk factors for suicide
by Agerbo, Esben & Sterne, Jonathan A.C. & Gunnell, David J.
- 462-476 A multilevel decomposition approach to estimate the role of program location and neighborhood disadvantage in racial disparities in alcohol treatment completion
by Jacobson, Jerry Owen & Robinson, Paul & Bluthenthal, Ricky N.
- 477-495 Social cohesion, social support, and health among Latinos in the United States
by Mulvaney-Day, Norah E. & Alegría, Margarita & Sribney, William
- 496-507 The necessary contradictions of 'community-led' health promotion: A case study of HIV prevention in an Indian red light district
by Cornish, Flora & Ghosh, Riddhi
2007, Volume 64, Issue 1
- 1-4 Editorial
by Annandale, Ellen
- 5-20 Social capital and mental health: A comparative analysis of four low income countries
by De Silva, Mary J. & Huttly, Sharon R. & Harpham, Trudy & Kenward, Michael G.
- 21-34 Low-linking social capital as a predictor of mental disorders: A cohort study of 4.5 million Swedes
by Lofors, Jonas & Sundquist, Kristina
- 35-49 Does social capital enhance health and well-being? Evidence from rural China
by Yip, Winnie & Subramanian, S.V. & Mitchell, Andrew D. & Lee, Dominic T.S. & Wang, Jian & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 50-63 Measuring dimensions of social capital: Evidence from surveys in poor communities in Nicaragua
by Mitchell, Andrew David & Bossert, Thomas J.
- 64-76 Marital status, intergenerational co-residence and cardiovascular and all-cause mortality among middle-aged and older men and women during wartime in Beirut: Gains and liabilities
by Sibai, Abla M. & Yount, Kathryn M. & Fletcher, Astrid
- 77-94 Marital status and mortality in the elderly: A systematic review and meta-analysis
by Manzoli, Lamberto & Villari, Paolo & M Pirone, Giovanni & Boccia, Antonio
- 95-111 The shackles of misfortune: Social adversity assessment and representation in a chronic-disease epidemiological setting
by Surtees, Paul G. & Wainwright, Nicholas W.J.
- 112-124 Irreconcilable differences: Health professionals' constructions of adolescence and motherhood
by Breheny, Mary & Stephens, Christine
- 125-137 Advance Australia Fair: Social democratic and conservative politicians' discourses concerning Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and their health 1972-2001
by Aldrich, Rosemary & Zwi, Anthony B. & Short, Stephanie
- 138-149 Hope and hoping in the talk of dying cancer patients
by Eliott, Jaklin A. & Olver, Ian N.
- 150-163 "We're tired, not sad": Benefits and burdens of mothering a child with a disability
by Green, Sara Eleanor
- 164-173 The paradoxical reliance on allopathic medicine and positivist science among skeptical audiences
by Clarke, Juanne N. & Arnold, Stephanie & Everest, Michelle & Whitfield, Kyle
- 174-185 Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and the Canadian blood system after the tainted blood tragedy
by Wilson, Kumanan & Graham, Ian & Ricketts, Maura & Dornan, Christopher & Laupacis, Andreas & Hebert, Paul
- 186-198 An examination of income-related disparities in the nutritional quality of food selections among Canadian households from 1986-2001
by Ricciuto, Laurie E. & Tarasuk, Valerie S.
- 199-212 Horizontal equity in health care utilization evidence from three high-income Asian economies
by Lu, Jui-fen R. & Leung, Gabriel M. & Kwon, Soonman & Tin, Keith Y.K. & Van Doorslaer, Eddy & O'Donnell, Owen
- 213-222 Protecting the privacy of third-party information: Recommendations for social and behavioral health researchers
by Lounsbury, David W. & Reynolds, Thomas C. & Rapkin, Bruce D. & Robson, Mark E. & Ostroff, Jamie
- 223-235 Patients, privacy and trust: Patients' willingness to allow researchers to access their medical records
by Damschroder, Laura J. & Pritts, Joy L. & Neblo, Michael A. & Kalarickal, Rosemarie J. & Creswell, John W. & Hayward, Rodney A.
- 236-247 Comparability work and the management of difference in research synthesis studies
by Sandelowski, Margarete & Voils, Corrine I. & Barroso, Julie
- 248-258 Developing, integrating, and perpetuating new ways of applying sociology to health, medicine, policy, and everyday life
by Clair, Jeffrey Michael & Clark, Cullen & Hinote, Brian P. & Robinson, Caroline O. & Wasserman, Jason A.
2006, Volume 63, Issue 12
- 2999-3012 Women's status and child well-being: A state-level analysis
by Koenen, Karestan C. & Lincoln, Alisa & Appleton, Allison
- 3013-3029 Racial disparities in low birthweight and the contribution of residential segregation: A multilevel analysis
by Grady, Sue C.
- 3030-3045 Birth outcomes among urban African-American women: A multilevel analysis of the role of racial residential segregation
by Bell, Janice F. & Zimmerman, Frederick J. & Almgren, Gunnar R. & Mayer, Jonathan D. & Huebner, Colleen E.
- 3046-3059 Facility and county effects on racial differences in nursing home quality indicators
by Miller, Susan C. & Papandonatos, George & Fennell, Mary & Mor, Vincent
- 3060-3066 Patient-physician racial and ethnic concordance and perceived medical errors
by Stepanikova, Irena
- 3067-3079 The interpersonal experience of health care through the eyes of patients with diabetes
by Ciechanowski, Paul & Katon, Wayne J.
- 3080-3091 Living without labels: The interactional management of diagnostic uncertainty in the genetic counselling clinic
by Brookes-Howell, Lucy Claire
- 3092-3101 Genetic screening as a technique of government: The case of neonatal screening for cystic fibrosis in France
by Vailly, Joëlle
- 3102-3112 Health technology adoption and the politics of governance in the UK
by Milewa, Timothy
- 3113-3123 Responding to global infectious disease outbreaks: Lessons from SARS on the role of risk perception, communication and management
by Smith, Richard D.
- 3124-3136 Formative research on adolescent and adult perceptions of risk factors for breast cancer
by Silk, Kami J. & Bigbsy, Elizabeth & Volkman, Julie & Kingsley, Catherine & Atkin, Charles & Ferrara, Merissa & Goins, Leigh-Anne
- 3137-3149 The cognitive structuring of patient delay in breast cancer
by Facione, Noreen C. & Facione, Peter A.
- 3150-3161 Developing a cultural model for long-term female urinary incontinence
by Bradway, Christine Wanich & Barg, Frances
- 3162-3173 The sexuality and social performance of androgen-deprived (castrated) men throughout history: Implications for modern day cancer patients
by Aucoin, Michael William & Wassersug, Richard Joel
- 3174-3187 Stigma, fatigue and social breakdown: Exploring the impacts of HIV/AIDS on patient and carer well-being in the Caprivi Region, Namibia
by Thomas, Felicity
- 3188-3198 Illness-related stigma, mood and adjustment to illness in persons with hepatitis C
by Golden, Jeannette & Conroy, Ronán Michael & Marie O'Dwyer, Ann & Golden, Daniel & Hardouin, Jean-Benoit
- 3199-3211 Managing US-Mexico "border health": An organizational field approach
by Collins-Dogrul, Julie
2006, Volume 63, Issue 11
- 2755-2769 Barriers to condom purchasing: Effects of product positioning on reactions to condoms
by Scott-Sheldon, Lori A.J. & Glasford, Demis E. & Marsh, Kerry L. & Lust, Sarah A.
- 2770-2783 Contraceptive practices in Armenia: Panel evaluation of an Information-Education-Communication Campaign
by Thompson, Michael E. & Harutyunyan, Tsovinar L.
- 2784-2790 Cigarette smoking and poverty in China
by Liu, Yuanli & Rao, Keqin & Hu, Teh-wei & Sun, Qi & Mao, Zhenzhong
- 2791-2800 Socioeconomic gradients in smoking among young women: A British survey
by Harman, Juliet & Graham, Hilary & Francis, Brian & Inskip, Hazel M.
- 2801-2812 The association of smoking with perception of income inequality, relative material well-being, and social capital
by Siahpush, Mohammad & Borland, Ron & Taylor, Janet & Singh, Gopal K. & Ansari, Zahid & Serraglio, Adrian
- 2813-2824 Socioeconomic position in childhood and in adulthood and functional limitations in midlife: Data from a nationally-representative survey of French men and women
by Melchior, Maria & Lert, France & Martin, Magali & Ville, Isabelle
- 2825-2834 Childhood socioeconomic status and suicide mortality in early adulthood among Norwegian men and women. A prospective study of Norwegians born between 1955 and 1965 followed for suicide from 1990 to 2001
by Strand, B.H. & Kunst, Anton
- 2835-2846 Perceptions of the environment, physical activity, and obesity
by Poortinga, Wouter
- 2847-2863 Neighborhood microclimates and vulnerability to heat stress
by Harlan, Sharon L. & Brazel, Anthony J. & Prashad, Lela & Stefanov, William L. & Larsen, Larissa
- 2864-2876 Managing competition in the countryside: Non-profit and for-profit perceptions of long-term care in rural Ontario
by Skinner, Mark W. & Rosenberg, Mark W.
- 2877-2889 From rhetoric to reality: A systemic approach to understanding the constraints faced by Health For All initiatives in England
by Berkeley, Dina & Springett, Jane
- 2890-2898 Determinants for the adoption of angiotensin II receptor blockers by general practitioners
by Greving, Jacoba P. & Denig, Petra & van der Veen, Willem Jan & Beltman, Frank W. & Sturkenboom, Miriam C.J.M. & Haaijer-Ruskamp, Flora M.
- 2899-2911 Targeted intervention for the ultra poor in rural Bangladesh: Does it make any difference in their health-seeking behaviour?
by Ahmed, Syed Masud & Petzold, Max & Kabir, Zarina Nahar & Tomson, Göran
- 2912-2925 Child access to health services during the economic crisis: An Indonesian experience of the safety net program
by Suci, Eunike
- 2926-2937 Asthma disparities in the prevalence, morbidity, and treatment of Latino children
by Canino, Glorisa & Koinis-Mitchell, Daphne & Ortega, Alexander N. & McQuaid, Elizabeth L. & Fritz, Gregory K. & Alegría, Margarita
- 2938-2948 Inupiat youth suicide and culture loss: Changing community conversations for prevention
by Wexler, Lisa Marin
- 2949-2961 Rape perpetration by young, rural South African men: Prevalence, patterns and risk factors
by Jewkes, Rachel & Dunkle, Kristin & Koss, Mary P. & Levin, Jonathan B. & Nduna, Mzikazi & Jama, Nwabisa & Sikweyiya, Yandisa
- 2962-2973 Creating meaning in fibromyalgia syndrome
by Madden, Sue & Sim, Julius
- 2974-2985 Information seeking during "bad news" oncology interactions: Question asking by patients and their companions
by Eggly, Susan & Penner, Louis A. & Greene, Meredith & Harper, Felicity W.K. & Ruckdeschel, John C. & Albrecht, Terrance L.
- 2986-2997 Decentred comparative research: Context sensitive analysis of maternal health care
by Wrede, Sirpa & Benoit, Cecilia & Bourgeault, Ivy Lynn & van Teijlingen, Edwin R. & Sandall, Jane & De Vries, Raymond G.
2006, Volume 63, Issue 10
- 2533-2545 The influence of socioeconomic factors on cardiovascular disease risk factors in the context of economic development in the Samoan archipelago
by Ezeamama, Amara E. & Viali, Satupaitea & Tuitele, John & McGarvey, Stephen T.
- 2546-2561 Social capital, socio-economic status and psychological distress among Australian adults
by Phongsavan, Philayrath & Chey, Tien & Bauman, Adrian & Brooks, Robert & Silove, Derrick
- 2562-2574 For whom is income inequality most harmful? A multi-level analysis of income inequality and mortality in Norway
by Dahl, Espen & Ivar Elstad, Jon & Hofoss, Dag & Martin-Mollard, Melissa
- 2575-2590 Objective and perceived neighborhood environment, individual SES and psychosocial factors, and self-rated health: An analysis of older adults in Cook County, Illinois
by Wen, Ming & Hawkley, Louise C. & Cacioppo, John T.
- 2591-2603 "A lot of sacrifices:" Work-family spillover and the food choice coping strategies of low-wage employed parents
by Devine, Carol M. & Jastran, Margaret & Jabs, Jennifer & Wethington, Elaine & Farell, Tracy J. & Bisogni, Carole A.