Social Science & Medicine
2006, Volume 63, Issue 11
- 2813-2824 Socioeconomic position in childhood and in adulthood and functional limitations in midlife: Data from a nationally-representative survey of French men and women
by Melchior, Maria & Lert, France & Martin, Magali & Ville, Isabelle
- 2825-2834 Childhood socioeconomic status and suicide mortality in early adulthood among Norwegian men and women. A prospective study of Norwegians born between 1955 and 1965 followed for suicide from 1990 to 2001
by Strand, B.H. & Kunst, Anton
- 2835-2846 Perceptions of the environment, physical activity, and obesity
by Poortinga, Wouter
- 2847-2863 Neighborhood microclimates and vulnerability to heat stress
by Harlan, Sharon L. & Brazel, Anthony J. & Prashad, Lela & Stefanov, William L. & Larsen, Larissa
- 2864-2876 Managing competition in the countryside: Non-profit and for-profit perceptions of long-term care in rural Ontario
by Skinner, Mark W. & Rosenberg, Mark W.
- 2877-2889 From rhetoric to reality: A systemic approach to understanding the constraints faced by Health For All initiatives in England
by Berkeley, Dina & Springett, Jane
- 2890-2898 Determinants for the adoption of angiotensin II receptor blockers by general practitioners
by Greving, Jacoba P. & Denig, Petra & van der Veen, Willem Jan & Beltman, Frank W. & Sturkenboom, Miriam C.J.M. & Haaijer-Ruskamp, Flora M.
- 2899-2911 Targeted intervention for the ultra poor in rural Bangladesh: Does it make any difference in their health-seeking behaviour?
by Ahmed, Syed Masud & Petzold, Max & Kabir, Zarina Nahar & Tomson, Göran
- 2912-2925 Child access to health services during the economic crisis: An Indonesian experience of the safety net program
by Suci, Eunike
- 2926-2937 Asthma disparities in the prevalence, morbidity, and treatment of Latino children
by Canino, Glorisa & Koinis-Mitchell, Daphne & Ortega, Alexander N. & McQuaid, Elizabeth L. & Fritz, Gregory K. & Alegría, Margarita
- 2938-2948 Inupiat youth suicide and culture loss: Changing community conversations for prevention
by Wexler, Lisa Marin
- 2949-2961 Rape perpetration by young, rural South African men: Prevalence, patterns and risk factors
by Jewkes, Rachel & Dunkle, Kristin & Koss, Mary P. & Levin, Jonathan B. & Nduna, Mzikazi & Jama, Nwabisa & Sikweyiya, Yandisa
- 2962-2973 Creating meaning in fibromyalgia syndrome
by Madden, Sue & Sim, Julius
- 2974-2985 Information seeking during "bad news" oncology interactions: Question asking by patients and their companions
by Eggly, Susan & Penner, Louis A. & Greene, Meredith & Harper, Felicity W.K. & Ruckdeschel, John C. & Albrecht, Terrance L.
- 2986-2997 Decentred comparative research: Context sensitive analysis of maternal health care
by Wrede, Sirpa & Benoit, Cecilia & Bourgeault, Ivy Lynn & van Teijlingen, Edwin R. & Sandall, Jane & De Vries, Raymond G.
2006, Volume 63, Issue 10
- 2533-2545 The influence of socioeconomic factors on cardiovascular disease risk factors in the context of economic development in the Samoan archipelago
by Ezeamama, Amara E. & Viali, Satupaitea & Tuitele, John & McGarvey, Stephen T.
- 2546-2561 Social capital, socio-economic status and psychological distress among Australian adults
by Phongsavan, Philayrath & Chey, Tien & Bauman, Adrian & Brooks, Robert & Silove, Derrick
- 2562-2574 For whom is income inequality most harmful? A multi-level analysis of income inequality and mortality in Norway
by Dahl, Espen & Ivar Elstad, Jon & Hofoss, Dag & Martin-Mollard, Melissa
- 2575-2590 Objective and perceived neighborhood environment, individual SES and psychosocial factors, and self-rated health: An analysis of older adults in Cook County, Illinois
by Wen, Ming & Hawkley, Louise C. & Cacioppo, John T.
- 2591-2603 "A lot of sacrifices:" Work-family spillover and the food choice coping strategies of low-wage employed parents
by Devine, Carol M. & Jastran, Margaret & Jabs, Jennifer & Wethington, Elaine & Farell, Tracy J. & Bisogni, Carole A.
- 2604-2616 Urban neighborhoods, chronic stress, gender and depression
by Matheson, Flora I. & Moineddin, Rahim & Dunn, James R. & Creatore, Maria Isabella & Gozdyra, Piotr & Glazier, Richard H.
- 2617-2627 How far can complementary and alternative medicine go? The case of chiropractic and homeopathy
by Kelner, Merrijoy & Wellman, Beverly & Welsh, Sandy & Boon, Heather
- 2628-2639 "Everyone dies, so you might as well have fun!" Attitudes of Dutch youths about their health lifestyle
by van Exel, N.J.A. & de Graaf, G. & Brouwer, W.B.F.
- 2640-2648 Somatic complaints and health care use in children: Mood, emotion awareness and sense of coherence
by Jellesma, Francine C. & Rieffe, Carolien & Terwogt, Mark Meerum & Kneepkens, C.M. Frank
- 2649-2660 The impact of stigma, experience, and group referent on HIV risk assessments and HIV testing intentions in Namibia
by Smith, Rachel A. & Morrison, Daniel
- 2661-2673 'Rakter dosh'--corrupting blood: The challenges of preventing thalassemia in Bengal, India
by Chattopadhyay, Sreeparna
- 2674-2685 The roles performed by peer educators during outreach among heroin addicts in India: Ethnographic insights
by Dhand, Amar
- 2686-2697 Self-care as a response to diarrhoea in rural Bangladesh: Empowered choice or enforced adoption?
by Edgeworth, Ross & Collins, Andrew E.
- 2698-2701 The myth of agency and patient choice in health care? The case of drug treatments to prevent coronary disease
by Bryan, Stirling & Gill, Paramjit & Greenfield, Sheila & Gutridge, Kerry & Marshall, Tom
- 2702-2714 The double burden on safety net providers: Placing health disparities in the context of the privatization of health care in the US
by Horton, Sarah
- 2715-2726 Moral reasoning as a model for health promotion
by Buchanan, David
- 2727-2738 The physical challenges of early breastfeeding
by Kelleher, Christa M.
- 2739-2752 Twins: A cloning experience
by Prainsack, Barbara & Spector, Tim D.
2006, Volume 63, Issue 9
- 2255-2267 The family environment and American adolescents' risk of obesity as young adults
by Crossman, Ashley & Anne Sullivan, Deborah & Benin, Mary
- 2268-2276 The emergence of overweight as a disease entity: Measuring up normality
by Jutel, Annemarie
- 2277-2288 Purity and the dangers of regenerative medicine: Regulatory innovation of human tissue-engineered technology
by Faulkner, Alex & Kent, Julie & Geesink, Ingrid & FitzPatrick, David
- 2289-2300 Governance and public involvement in the British National Health Service: Understanding difficulties and developments
by Callaghan, Gillian & Wistow, Gerald
- 2301-2309 Access point analysis on the state of health care services in South African prisons: A qualitative exploration of correctional health care workers' and inmates' perspectives in Kwazulu-Natal and Mpumalanga
by Sifunda, Sibusiso & Reddy, Priscilla S. & Braithwaite, Ron & Stephens, Torrance & Ruiter, Rob AC & van den Borne, Bart
- 2310-2319 'Stickiness' and 'inflow' as proxy measures of the relative attractiveness of various sub-sectors of nursing employment
by Alameddine, Mohamad & Laporte, Audrey & Baumann, Andrea & O'Brien-Pallas, Linda & Mildon, Barbara & Deber, Raisa
- 2320-2329 Determinants of hospital closure in South Korea: Use of a hierarchical generalized linear model
by Noh, Maengseok & Lee, Youngjo & Yun, Sung-Cheol & Lee, Sang-Il & Lee, Moo-Song & Khang, Young-Ho
- 2330-2340 Outpatient process quality evaluation and the Hawthorne Effect
by Leonard, Kenneth & Masatu, Melkiory C.
- 2341-2353 Economic rationality and health and lifestyle choices for people with diabetes
by Baker, Rachel Mairi
- 2354-2366 A qualitative analysis of a dyad approach to health-related quality of life measurement in children with asthma
by Ungar, Wendy J. & Mirabelli, Cara & Cousins, Martha & Boydell, Katherine M.
- 2367-2380 Gender differences in health-related quality of life among the elderly: The role of objective functional capacity and chronic conditions
by Orfila, Francesc & Ferrer, Montserrat & Lamarca, Rosa & Tebe, Cristian & Domingo-Salvany, Antonia & Alonso, Jordi
- 2381-2394 Psychological distress, gender, and health lifestyles in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia, and Ukraine
by Cockerham, William C. & Hinote, Brian P. & Abbott, Pamela
- 2395-2406 Cognitive appraisals and psychological distress following venous thromboembolic disease: An application of the theory of cognitive adaptation
by Moore, Tria & Norman, Paul & Harris, Peter R. & Makris, Michael
- 2407-2417 Do Dutch doctors communicate differently with immigrant patients than with Dutch patients?
by Meeuwesen, Ludwien & Harmsen, Johannes A.M. & Bernsen, Roos M.D. & Bruijnzeels, Marc A.
- 2418-2428 Still a difficult business? Negotiating alcohol-related problems in general practice consultations
by Rapley, Tim & May, Carl & Frances Kaner, Eileen
- 2429-2439 Primary caregivers of cancer patients in the palliative phase: A path analysis of variables influencing their burden
by Grov, Ellen Karine & Fosså, Sophie D. & Sørebø, Øystein & Dahl, Alv A.
- 2440-2451 The prediction of bereavement outcome: Development of an integrative risk factor framework
by Stroebe, Margaret Susan & Folkman, Susan & Hansson, Robert O. & Schut, Henk
- 2452-2463 Non-fatal occupational injury among active and passive smokers in small- and medium-scale manufacturing enterprises in Japan
by Nakata, Akinori & Ikeda, Tomoko & Takahashi, Masaya & Haratani, Takashi & Hojou, Minoru & Fujioka, Yosei & Araki, Shunichi
- 2464-2475 Neighborhood disorder and smoking: Findings of a European urban survey
by Miles, Rebecca
- 2476-2488 Try to be healthy, but don't forgo your masculinity: Deconstructing men's health discourse in the media
by Gough, Brendan
- 2489-2499 Mechanisms through which drug, sex partner, and friendship network characteristics relate to risky needle use among high risk youth and young adults
by Lakon, Cynthia M. & Ennett, Susan T. & Norton, Edward C.
- 2500-2511 The interpretation of "culture": Diverging perspectives on medical provision in rural Montana
by Johnston, Meghan E. & Herzig, Rebecca M.
- 2512-2532 Assessment of the health status and risk factors of Kham Tibetan pastoralists in the alpine grasslands of the Tibetan plateau
by Foggin, Peter M. & Torrance, Marion E. & Dorje, Drashi & Xuri, Wenzha & Marc Foggin, J. & Torrance, Jane
2006, Volume 63, Issue 8
- 1973-1985 Taking ad-Vantage of lax advertising regulation in the USA and Canada: Reassuring and distracting health-concerned smokers
by Anderson, Stacey J. & Pollay, Richard W. & Ling, Pamela M.
- 1986-1997 Gendering the migraine market: Do representations of illness matter?
by Kempner, Joanna
- 1998-2009 The promises and limitations of female-initiated methods of HIV/STI protection
by Mantell, Joanne E. & Dworkin, Shari L. & Exner, Theresa M. & Hoffman, Susie & Smit, Jenni A. & Susser, Ida
- 2010-2021 Syndemics, sex and the city: Understanding sexually transmitted diseases in social and cultural context
by Singer, Merrill C. & Erickson, Pamela I. & Badiane, Louise & Diaz, Rosemary & Ortiz, Dugeidy & Abraham, Traci & Nicolaysen, Anna Marie
- 2022-2030 Do homosexual persons use health care services more frequently than heterosexual persons: Findings from a Dutch population survey
by Bakker, Floor C. & Sandfort, Theo G.M. & Vanwesenbeeck, Ine & van Lindert, Hanneke & Westert, Gert P.
- 2031-2040 Marital quality predicts hospital stay following coronary artery bypass surgery for women but not men
by Kulik, James A. & Mahler, Heike I.M.
- 2041-2051 From a genetic innovation to mass health programmes: The diffusion of Down's Syndrome prenatal screening and diagnostic techniques in France
by Vassy, Carine
- 2052-2064 From bench to bedside? Biomedical scientists' expectations of stem cell science as a future therapy for diabetes
by Wainwright, Steven P. & Williams, Clare & Michael, Mike & Farsides, Bobbie & Cribb, Alan
- 2065-2078 The significance for decision-making of information that is not exchanged by patients and health professionals during consultations
by Bugge, Carol & Entwistle, Vikki A. & Watt, Ian S.
- 2079-2090 Dilemmas of talking about lifestyle changes among couples coping with a cardiac event
by Goldsmith, Daena J. & Lindholm, Kristin A. & Bute, Jennifer J.
- 2091-2104 Focus group research and "the patient's view"
by Lehoux, Pascale & Poland, Blake & Daudelin, Genevieve
- 2105-2117 The permeable institution: An ethnographic study of three acute psychiatric wards in London
by Quirk, Alan & Lelliott, Paul & Seale, Clive
- 2118-2128 The power gap: Freedom, power and mental illness
by Kelly, Brendan D.
- 2129-2140 The role of power, process, and relationships in participatory research for statewide HIV/AIDS programming
by Chung, Kimberly & Lounsbury, David W.
- 2141-2152 The "hospital superbug": Social representations of MRSA
by Washer, Peter & Joffe, Helene
- 2153-2164 All in the family: Media presentations of family assisted suicide in Britain
by Birenbaum-Carmeli, Daphna & Banerjee, Albert & Taylor, Steve
- 2165-2175 The black-white suicide paradox: Possible effects of misclassification
by Rockett, Ian R.H. & Samora, Julie B. & Coben, Jeffrey H.
- 2176-2190 Education, gender, and mortality: Does schooling have the same effect on mortality for men and women in the US?
by Zajacova, Anna
- 2191-2203 A community-based participatory research study of multifaceted in-home environmental interventions for pediatric asthmatics in public housing
by Levy, Jonathan I. & Brugge, Doug & Peters, Junenette L. & Clougherty, Jane E. & Saddler, Shawnette S.
- 2204-2217 Social capital, the miniaturisation of community, traditionalism and first time acute myocardial infarction: A prospective cohort study in southern Sweden
by Ali, Sadiq M. & Merlo, Juan & Rosvall, Maria & Lithman, Thor & Lindström, Martin
- 2218-2227 Workplace conflict resolution and the health of employees in the Swedish and Finnish units of an industrial company
by Hyde, Martin & Jappinen, Paavo & Theorell, Tores & Oxenstierna, Gabriel
- 2228-2241 Religious involvement and health outcomes among older persons in Taiwan
by Yeager, D.M. & Glei, Dana A. & Au, Melanie & Lin, Hui-Sheng & Sloan, Richard P. & Weinstein, Maxine
- 2242-2254 The influence of economic development level, household wealth and maternal education on child health in the developing world
by Boyle, Michael H. & Racine, Yvonne & Georgiades, Katholiki & Snelling, Dana & Hong, Sungjin & Omariba, Walter & Hurley, Patricia & Rao-Melacini, Purnima
2006, Volume 63, Issue 7
- 1700-1710 Determinants of variation in the cost of inpatient stays versus outpatient visits in hospitals: A multi-country analysis
by Adam, Taghreed & Evans, David B.
- 1711-1719 The influence of child abuse on the pattern of expenditures in women's adult health service utilization in Ontario, Canada
by Tang, Betty & Jamieson, Ellen & Boyle, Michael & Libby, Anne & Gafni, Amiram & MacMillan, Harriet
- 1720-1731 Health care costs in the last year of life--The Dutch experience
by Polder, Johan J. & Barendregt, Jan J. & van Oers, Hans
- 1732-1744 Are health services protecting the livelihoods of the urban poor in Sri Lanka? Findings from two low-income areas of Colombo
by Russell, Steven & Gilson, Lucy
- 1745-1756 Gender differences in the management of risk factors for cardiovascular disease: The importance of insurance status
by Murasko, Jason E.
- 1757-1770 The influence of health insurance on hospital admission and length of stay--The case of Vietnam
by Sepehri, Ardeshir & Simpson, Wayne & Sarma, Sisira
- 1771-1783 The drive for legitimation in Australian naturopathy: Successes and dilemmas
by Baer, Hans A.
- 1784-1795 Nurses in alternative health care: Integrating medical paradigms
by Shuval, Judith
- 1796-1810 The changing context of Western European healthcare systems: Convergence versus divergence in nursing problematics
by Spitzer, Ada & Camus, Didier & Desaulles, Cécile & Kuhne, Nicolas
- 1811-1824 The impact of context on evidence utilization: A framework for expert groups developing health policy recommendations
by Dobrow, Mark J. & Goel, Vivek & Lemieux-Charles, Louise & Black, Nick A.
- 1825-1835 Vaccine independence, local competences and globalisation: Lessons from the history of pertussis vaccines
by Blume, Stuart & Zanders, Mariska
- 1836-1845 Does decentralisation improve human resource management in the health sector? A case study from China
by Liu, Xiaoyun & Martineau, Tim & Chen, Lieping & Zhan, Shaokang & Tang, Shenglan
- 1846-1856 A prospective study of stage of change for general health promotion action and health-related lifestyle practices among Chinese adults
by Lam, Tai-Hing & Chan, Brandford H.Y. & Chan, Steve K.K. & Leung, Gabriel M. & Ho, S.Y. & Chan, W.M.
- 1857-1869 Perspectives on polio and immunization in Northern Nigeria
by Renne, Elisha
- 1870-1878 Factors associated with the use of maternity services in Enugu, southeastern Nigeria
by Onah, Hyacinth Eze & Ikeako, Lawrence C. & Iloabachie, Gabriel C.
- 1879-1888 Brazilian mothers' knowledge about home dangers and safety precautions: An initial evaluation
by de Castro Ribas, Rodolfo Jr. & Tymchuk, Alexander J. & Ribas, Adriana F.P.
- 1889-1899 Applying psychological theory to evidence-based clinical practice: Identifying factors predictive of taking intra-oral radiographs
by Bonetti, Debbie & Pitts, Nigel B. & Eccles, Martin & Grimshaw, Jeremy & Johnston, Marie & Steen, Nick & Glidewell, Liz & Thomas, Ruth & Maclennan, Graeme & Clarkson, Jan E. & Walker, Anne
- 1900-1911 Illness beliefs in schizophrenia
by Kinderman, Peter & Setzu, Erika & Lobban, Fiona & Salmon, Peter
- 1912-1922 Comparative stigma of HIV/AIDS, SARS, and Tuberculosis in Hong Kong
by Mak, Winnie W.S. & Mo, Phoenix K.H. & Cheung, Rebecca Y.M. & Woo, Jean & Cheung, Fanny M. & Lee, Dominic
- 1923-1933 'Telling the truth is the best thing': Teenage orphans' experiences of parental AIDS-related illness and bereavement in Zimbabwe
by Wood, Kate & Chase, Elaine & Aggleton, Peter
- 1934-1946 Experience of miscarriage in the UK: Qualitative findings from the National Women's Health Study
by Simmons, Rebecca K. & Singh, Gita & Maconochie, Noreen & Doyle, Pat & Green, Judith
- 1947-1959 Are genetic tests exceptional? Lessons from a qualitative study on thrombophilia
by Saukko, Paula M. & Richards, Suzanne H. & Shepherd, Maggie H. & Campbell, John L.
- 1960-1971 DSM-IV and dangerous and severe personality disorder--an essay
by Manning, Nick
2006, Volume 63, Issue 6
- 1415-1427 Self-reported health, perceived racial discrimination, and skin color in African Americans in the CARDIA study
by Borrell, Luisa N. & Kiefe, Catarina I. & Williams, David R. & Diez-Roux, Ana V. & Gordon-Larsen, Penny
- 1428-1441 Racism and health: The relationship between experience of racial discrimination and health in New Zealand
by Harris, Ricci & Tobias, Martin & Jeffreys, Mona & Waldegrave, Kiri & Karlsen, Saffron & Nazroo, James
- 1442-1453 Individual versus neighborhood socioeconomic status and race as predictors of adolescent ambulatory blood pressure and heart rate
by McGrath, Jennifer J. & Matthews, Karen A. & Brady, Sonya S.
- 1454-1465 County and organizational predictors of depression symptoms among low-income nursing assistants in the USA
by Muntaner, Carles & Li, Yong & Xue, Xiaonan & Thompson, Theresa & Chung, HaeJoo & O'Campo, Patricia
- 1466-1476 Social environment and depression among pregnant women in urban areas of Pakistan: Importance of social relations
by Kazi, Ambreen & Fatmi, Zafar & Hatcher, Juanita & Kadir, Muhammad Masood & Niaz, Unaiza & Wasserman, Gail A.
- 1477-1488 Mental health, quality of life, and nutritional status of adolescents in Dhaka, Bangladesh: Comparison between an urban slum and a non-slum area
by Izutsu, Takashi & Tsutsumi, Atsuro & Islam, Akramul Md. & Kato, Seika & Wakai, Susumu & Kurita, Hiroshi
- 1489-1502 Endogenous social capital and self-rated health: Cross-sectional data from rural areas of Madagascar
by Sirven, Nicolas
- 1503-1516 Family food insufficiency is related to overweight among preschoolers'
by Dubois, Lise & Farmer, Anna & Girard, Manon & Porcherie, Marion
- 1517-1530 Nutritional status and spousal empowerment among native Amazonians
by Godoy, Ricardo A. & Patel, Ankur & Reyes-García, Victoria & Seyfried, Craig Jr. & Leonard, William R. & McDade, Thomas & Tanner, Susan & Vadez, Vincent
- 1531-1545 Getting a piece of the pie? The economic boom of the 1990s and declining teen birth rates in the United States
by Colen, Cynthia G. & Geronimus, Arline T. & Phipps, Maureen G.
- 1546-1549 Young mothers and smoking: evidence of an evidence gap
by McDermott, Elizabeth & Graham, Hilary
- 1550-1560 Rethinking the biological clock: Eleventh-hour moms, miracle moms and meanings of age-related infertility
by Friese, Carrie & Becker, Gay & Nachtigall, Robert D.
- 1561-1572 Women's health in mid-life: Life course social roles and agency as quality
by McMunn, Anne & Bartley, Mel & Kuh, Diana
- 1573-1585 Is chronic widespread pain biographically disruptive?
by Richardson, Jane C. & Ong, Bie Nio & Sim, Julius
- 1586-1596 Potency and vulnerability: Troubled 'selves' in the context of antiretroviral therapy
by Persson, Asha & Newman, Christy
- 1597-1601 Injectable diclofenac: A painful shot into Iran's health system
by Cheraghali, A. Majid
- 1602-1613 How does social comparison within a self-help group influence adjustment to chronic illness? A longitudinal study
by Dibb, Bridget & Yardley, Lucy
- 1614-1624 Changes in finding benefit after cancer surgery and the prediction of well-being one year later
by Schwarzer, Ralf & Luszczynska, Aleksandra & Boehmer, Sonja & Taubert, Steffen & Knoll, Nina
- 1625-1636 The influence of significant others in complementary and alternative medicine decisions by cancer patients
by Öhlén, Joakim & Balneaves, Lynda G. & Bottorff, Joan L. & Brazier, Alison S.A.
- 1637-1647 Users' perceptions of health care reforms: Quality of care and patient rights in four regions in the Russian Federation
by Fotaki, Marianna
- 1648-1660 Global review of health care surveys using lot quality assurance sampling (LQAS), 1984-2004
by Robertson, Susan E. & Valadez, Joseph J.
- 1661-1670 Investigating the sustainability of outcomes in a chronic disease treatment programme
by Bailie, Ross S. & Robinson, Gary & Kondalsamy-Chennakesavan, Srinivas N. & Halpin, Stephen & Wang, Zhiqiang
- 1671-1683 Predicting and comparing patient satisfaction in four different modes of health care across a nation
by Bikker, Annemieke P. & Thompson, Andrew G.H.
- 1684-1698 Verbal prescribing in general practice consultations
by Gibson, Mark & Neil Jenkings, K. & Wilson, Rob & Purves, Ian
2006, Volume 63, Issue 5
- 1121-1134 Using participatory action research to build a priority setting process in a Canadian Regional Health Authority
by Patten, San & Mitton, Craig & Donaldson, Cam
- 1135-1142 Should structural interventions be evaluated using RCTs? The case of HIV prevention
by Bonell, Christopher & Hargreaves, James & Strange, Vicki & Pronyk, Paul & Porter, John
- 1143-1146 Community participation in AIDS vaccine trials: Empowerment or science?
by Swartz, Leslie & Kagee, Ashraf
- 1147-1157 Control and adherence: Living with diabetes in Bangkok, Thailand
by Naemiratch, Bhensri & Manderson, Lenore
- 1158-1169 A typology of preferences for participation in healthcare decision making
by Flynn, Kathryn E. & Smith, Maureen A. & Vanness, David
- 1170-1187 Communicative and strategic action in interpreted consultations in primary health care: A Habermasian perspective
by Greenhalgh, Trisha & Robb, Nadia & Scambler, Graham
- 1188-1200 Understandings of Down's syndrome: A Q methodological investigation
by Bryant, Louise D. & Green, Josephine M. & Hewison, Jenny
- 1201-1212 A root cause analysis of clinical error: Confronting the disjunction between formal rules and situated clinical activity
by Iedema, Roderick Aren Michael & Jorm, Christine & Braithwaite, Jeffrey & Travaglia, Jo & Lum, Martin
- 1213-1224 Social welfare, genetic welfare? Boundary-work in the IVF/PGD clinic
by Ehrich, Kathryn & Williams, Clare & Scott, Rosamund & Sandall, Jane & Farsides, Bobbie
- 1225-1235 Making the normal deviant: The introduction of predictive medicine in life insurance
by Van Hoyweghen, Ine & Horstman, Klasien & Schepers, Rita
- 1236-1245 Adverse selection in a voluntary Rural Mutual Health Care health insurance scheme in China
by Wang, Hong & Zhang, Licheng & Yip, Winnie & Hsiao, William
- 1246-1261 Socioeconomic inequalities in health: A comparative longitudinal analysis using the European Community Household Panel
by Hernández-Quevedo, Cristina & Jones, Andrew M. & López-Nicolás, Angel & Rice, Nigel
- 1262-1266 The close relation between birth, abortion and employment rates in Sweden from 1980 to 2004
by Rahmqvist, Mikael
- 1267-1275 What mediates the inverse association between education and occupational disability from back pain?--A prospective cohort study from the Nord-Trøndelag health study in Norway
by Hagen, Kåre Birger & Tambs, Kristian & Bjerkedal, Tor
- 1276-1288 Psychosocial job characteristics and risk of mortality in a Japanese community-based working population: The Jichi Medical School Cohort Study
by Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kayaba, Kazunori & Hirokawa, Kumi & Ishikawa, Shizukiyo
- 1289-1303 Racial residential segregation and weight status among US adults
by Chang, Virginia W.
- 1304-1315 Distrust, social fragmentation and adolescents' health in the outer city: Beirut and beyond
by Khawaja, Marwan & Abdulrahim, Sawsan & Soweid, Rima A.Afifi. & Karam, Dima
- 1316-1327 Access to specialized health care for asthmatic children in Norway: The significance of parents' educational background and social network
by Finnvold, Jon Erik
- 1328-1343 'Help, educate, encourage?': Geographical variations in the provision and utilisation of diabetes education in New Zealand
by Ross Barnett, J. & Pearce, Jamie & Howes, Pamela
- 1344-1351 Education and health in 22 European countries
by von dem Knesebeck, Olaf & Verde, Pablo E. & Dragano, Nico
- 1352-1362 Rural habitat and risk of death in small areas of Southern Spain
by Ocaña-Riola, Ricardo & Sánchez-Cantalejo, Carmen & Fernández-Ajuria, Alberto
- 1363-1373 Primary care professionals' perceptions of depression in older people: a qualitative study
by Murray, Joanna & Banerjee, Sube & Byng, Richard & Tylee, Andre & Bhugra, Dinesh & Macdonald, Alastair
- 1374-1382 The longitudinal effects of social support and hostility on depressive tendencies
by Heponiemi, Tarja & Elovainio, Marko & Kivimäki, Mika & Pulkki, Laura & Puttonen, Sampsa & Keltikangas-Järvinen, Liisa
- 1383-1399 Multiple measures of socioeconomic circumstances and common mental disorders
by Lahelma, Eero & Laaksonen, Mikko & Martikainen, Pekka & Rahkonen, Ossi & Sarlio-Lähteenkorva, Sirpa
- 1400-1413 Sex differences in the effect of education on depression: Resource multiplication or resource substitution?
by Ross, Catherine E. & Mirowsky, John
2006, Volume 63, Issue 4
- 843-845 Retaining the meaning of the words religiousness and spirituality: A commentary on the WHOQOL SRPB group's "A cross-cultural study of spirituality, religion, and personal beliefs as components of quality of life" (62: 6, 2005, 1486-1497)
by Moreira-Almeida, Alexander & Koenig, Harold G.
- 846-850 When one's main effect is another's error: Material vs. psychosocial explanations of health disparities. A commentary on Macleod et al., "Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men" (61(9), 2005, 1916-1929)
by Adler, Nancy
- 851-857 Subjective and objective status and health: A response to Adler's "When one's main effect is another's error: Material vs. psychosocial explanations of health disparities. A commentary on Macleod et al., "Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men" (61(9), 2005, 1916-1929) (doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.03.018)
by Macleod, John & Davey Smith, George & Metcalfe, Chris & Hart, Carole
- 858-870 Young people of minority ethnic origin in England and early parenthood: Views from young parents and service providers
by Higginbottom, G.M.A. & Mathers, N. & Marsh, P. & Kirkham, M. & Owen, J.M. & Serrant-Green, L.
- 871-882 What "Dr. Mom" ordered: A community-based exploratory study of parental self-care responses to children's ADHD symptoms
by Bussing, Regina & E Koro-Ljungberg, Mirka & Williamson, Pamela & Gary, Faye A. & Wilson Garvan, Cynthia
- 883-898 Parent communication and child pain and distress during painful pediatric cancer treatments
by Cline, Rebecca J.W. & Harper, Felicity W.K. & Penner, Louis A. & Peterson, Amy M. & Taub, Jeffrey W. & Albrecht, Terrance L.
- 899-910 Determinants of physicians' patient-centred behaviour in the medical specialist encounter
by Zandbelt, Linda C. & Smets, Ellen M.A. & Oort, Frans J. & Godfried, Mieke H. & de Haes, Hanneke C.J.M.
- 911-919 Patients' perceptions of the side-effects of prostate cancer treatment--A qualitative interview study
by Korfage, Ida Joanna & Hak, Tony & de Koning, Harry J. & Essink-Bot, Marie-Louise
- 920-932 Why does it run in families? Explaining family similarity in help-seeking behaviour by shared circumstances, socialisation and selection
by Cardol, Mieke & Groenewegen, Peter P. & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & Van Dijk, Liset & Van Den Bosch, Wil J.H.M. & De Bakker, Dinny H.
- 933-945 Sources of stigma for means-tested government programs
by Stuber, Jennifer & Schlesinger, Mark
- 946-956 Home is where the hearth is: Grant recipients' views of England's Home Energy Efficiency Scheme (Warm Front)
by Gilbertson, Jan & Stevens, Maryjane & Stiell, Bernadette & Thorogood, Nicki
- 957-967 Predictors of improvement in social support: Five-year effects of a structured intervention for caregivers of spouses with Alzheimer's disease
by Drentea, Patricia & Clay, Olivio J. & Roth, David L. & Mittelman, Mary S.
- 968-978 Challenges to microbicide introduction in South Africa
by Orner, Phyllis & Harries, Jane & Cooper, Diane & Moodley, Jennifer & Hoffman, Margaret & Becker, Julie & McGrory, Elizabeth & Dabash, Rasha & Bracken, Hillary
- 979-990 Challenges to HIV prevention in psychiatric settings: Perceptions of South African mental health care providers
by Collins, Pamela Y.
- 991-999 Predicting intended use of voluntary HIV counselling and testing services among Tanzanian teachers using the theory of planned behaviour
by Kakoko, Deodatus Conatus & Åstrøm, A.N. & Lugoe, Wycliffe L. & Lie, Gro T.
- 1000-1010 Local understandings of, and responses to, HIV: Rural-urban migrants in Tanzania
by Coast, Ernestina
- 1011-1022 Social Environment and Physical activity: A review of concepts and evidence
by McNeill, Lorna Haughton & Kreuter, Matthew W. & Subramanian, S.V.
- 1023-1033 The influence of maternal childhood and adulthood social class on the health of the infant
by Gisselmann, Marit Dahlén
- 1034-1044 Individual, neighborhood, and state-level predictors of smoking among US Black women: A multilevel analysis
by Datta, Geetanjali Dabral & Subramanian, S.V. & Colditz, Graham A. & Kawachi, Ichiro & Palmer, Julie R. & Rosenberg, Lynn
- 1045-1059 US state- and county-level social capital in relation to obesity and physical inactivity: A multilevel, multivariable analysis
by Kim, Daniel & Subramanian, S.V. & Gortmaker, Steven L. & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1060-1071 Extending systematic reviews to include evidence on implementation: Methodological work on a review of community-based initiatives to prevent injuries
by Roen, Katrina & Arai, Lisa & Roberts, Helen & Popay, Jennie
- 1072-1083 Borna disease virus: The generation and review of a scientific study
by Wood, Fiona & Bloor, Michael J.
- 1084-1096 'When I first came here, I thought medicine was black and white': Making sense of medical students' ways of knowing
by Knight, Lynn Valerie & Mattick, Karen
- 1097-1108 The problems of offenders with mental disorders: A plurality of perspectives within a single mental health care organisation
by Davies, Jacqueline P. & Heyman, Bob & Godin, Paul M. & Shaw, Monica P. & Reynolds, Lisa
- 1109-1120 Where techno-science meets poverty: Medical research and the economy of blood in The Gambia, West Africa
by Fairhead, James & Leach, Melissa & Small, Mary
2006, Volume 63, Issue 3
- 563-565 Comment on: "Conceptualizing mainstream health care providers' behaviours in relation to complementary and alternative medicine" by Hirschkorn and Bourgeault
by Tovey, P. & Adams, Jon
- 566-574 The relationship between nonstandard working and mental health in a representative sample of the South Korean population
by Kim, Il-Ho & Muntaner, Carles & Khang, Young-Ho & Paek, Domyung & Cho, Sung-Il
- 575-586 The lesser evil: Bad jobs or unemployment? A survey of mid-aged Australians
by Broom, Dorothy H. & D'Souza, Rennie M. & Strazdins, Lyndall & Butterworth, Peter & Parslow, Ruth & Rodgers, Bryan
- 587-592 Mental health problems in women attending district-level services in South Africa
by Pillay, Anthony L. & Kriel, Anita J.
- 593-597 Primary mental health care in rural Punjab, Pakistan: Providers, and user perspectives of the effectiveness of treatments
by Mirza, Ilyas & Mujtaba, Muhammad & Chaudhry, Haroon & Jenkins, Rachel
- 598-610 Adjustment to cancer in the 8 years following diagnosis: A longitudinal study comparing cancer survivors with healthy individuals
by Schroevers, Maya & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Sanderman, Robbert
- 611-623 The pros and cons of social relations: An analysis of adolescents' health complaints
by Brolin Låftman, Sara & Östberg, Viveca
- 624-635 Making sense of eating, weight and risk in the early teenage years: Views and concerns of parents in poorer socio-economic circumstances
by Backett-Milburn, Kathryn C. & Wills, Wendy J. & Gregory, Susan & Lawton, Julia
- 636-648 Psychological distress among adolescents, and its relationship to individual, family and area characteristics in East London
by Fagg, James & Curtis, Sarah & Stansfeld, Stephen & Congdon, Peter
- 649-661 Spaces of sobriety/sites of power: Examining social model alcohol recovery programs as therapeutic landscapes
by Wilton, Robert & DeVerteuil, Geoffrey
- 662-674 What explains the association between neighborhood-level income inequality and the risk of fatal overdose in New York City?
by Nandi, Arijit & Galea, Sandro & Ahern, Jennifer & Bucciarelli, Angela & Vlahov, David & Tardiff, Kenneth
- 675-679 Understanding risk behaviours: How the sociology of deviance may contribute? The case of drug-taking
by Peretti-Watel, Patrick & Moatti, Jean-Paul
- 680-690 Individual and area factors associated with general practitioner integration in Australia: A multilevel analysis
by Dunt, D. & Elsworth, G. & Southern, D. & Harris, C. & Potiriadis, M. & Young, D.
- 691-705 Modelling and understanding primary health care accessibility and utilization in rural South Africa: An exploration using a geographical information system
by Tanser, Frank & Gijsbertsen, Brice & Herbst, Kobus
- 706-721 Migration and maternal health services utilization in rural Guatemala
by Lindstrom, David P & Muñoz-Franco, Elisa
- 722-731 Cultural context and impact of alcohol use in the Sundarban Delta, West Bengal, India
by Chowdhury, Arabinda N. & Ramakrishna, Jayashree & Chakraborty, Ajoy K. & Weiss, Mitchell G.
- 732-742 Symptoms, attitudes and treatment choices surrounding menopause among the Q'eqchi Maya of Livingston, Guatemala
by Michel, Joanna L. & Mahady, Gail B. & Veliz, Mario & Soejarto, Doel D. & Caceres, Armando
- 743-756 European public acceptance of euthanasia: Socio-demographic and cultural factors associated with the acceptance of euthanasia in 33 European countries
by Cohen, Joachim & Marcoux, Isabelle & Bilsen, Johan & Deboosere, Patrick & van der Wal, Gerrit & Deliens, Luc
- 757-775 Clinicians and the governance of hospitals: A cross-cultural perspective on relations between profession and management
by Degeling, Pieter & Zhang, Kai & Coyle, Barbara & Xu, Lingzhong & Meng, Qingyue & Qu, Jiangbin & Hill, Michael
- 776-787 Providers' constructions of the role of women in cervical cancer screening in Bulgaria and Romania
by Todorova, Irina L.G. & Baban, Adriana & Balabanova, Dina & Panayotova, Yulia & Bradley, Janet
- 788-804 The association of subjective social status and health in low-income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
by Franzini, Luisa & Fernandez-Esquer, Maria Eugenia
- 805-816 Disability pension among immigrants in Sweden
by Österberg, Torun & Gustafsson, Björn
- 817-828 On the dynamics of health capital accumulation
by McCarthy, Robert
- 829-842 Political and welfare state determinants of infant and child health indicators: An analysis of wealthy countries
by Chung, Haejoo & Muntaner, Carles