Social Science & Medicine
2006, Volume 62, Issue 1
- 50-58 Social determinants of diagnostic labels in depression
by McPherson, Susan & Armstrong, David
- 59-69 Mothers on the margins: Implications for eradicating perinatal HIV
by Lindau, Stacy Tessler & Jerome, Jessica & Miller, Kate & Monk, Elizabeth & Garcia, Patricia & Cohen, Mardge
- 70-80 Trustful bonds: A key to "becoming a mother" and to reciprocal breastfeeding. Stories of mothers of very preterm infants at a neonatal unit
by Flacking, Renée & Ewald, Uwe & Nyqvist, Kerstin Hedberg & Starrin, Bengt
- 81-92 'She would help me from the heart': An ethnography of Egyptian women in labour
by El-Nemer, Amina & Downe, Soo & Small, Neil
- 93-102 Perceived change in quality of life during the menopause
by Mishra, Gita & Kuh, Diana
- 103-115 Patient characteristics and inequalities in doctors' diagnostic and management strategies relating to CHD: A video-simulation experiment
by Arber, Sara & McKinlay, John & Adams, Ann & Marceau, Lisa & Link, Carol & O'Donnell, Amy
- 116-124 Patient-doctor decision-making about treatment within the consultation--A critical analysis of models
by Wirtz, Veronika & Cribb, Alan & Barber, Nick
- 125-133 Patients' and healthcare providers' understandings of life-sustaining treatment: Are perceptions of goals shared or divergent?
by Rodriguez, Keri L. & Young, Amanda J.
- 134-144 Narrativizing errors of care: Critical incident reporting in clinical practice
by Iedema, Rick & Flabouris, Arthas & Grant, Susan & Jorm, Christine
- 145-156 Cross-district utilization of general hospital care in Nova Scotia: Policy and service delivery implications for rural districts
by Hanlon, Neil & Skedgel, Chris
- 157-164 Religion and survival in a secular region. A twenty year follow-up of 734 Danish adults born in 1914
by la Cour, Peter & Avlund, Kirsten & Schultz-Larsen, Kirsten
- 165-175 Toward a neighborhood resource-based theory of social capital for health: Can Bourdieu and sociology help?
by Carpiano, Richard M.
- 176-188 Social and psychological resources and health outcomes after the World Trade Center disaster
by Adams, Richard E. & Boscarino, Joseph A. & Galea, Sandro
- 189-198 Aging and eating in the rural, southern United States: Beliefs about salt and its effect on health
by Smith, Shannon L. & Quandt, Sara A. & Arcury, Thomas A. & Wetmore, Lindsay K. & Bell, Ronny A. & Vitolins, Mara Z.
- 199-207 The palliative care in assisted living (PCAL) pilot study: Successes, shortfalls, and methodological implications
by Jerant, Anthony F. & Azari, Rahman S. & Nesbitt, Thomas S. & Edwards-Goodbee, Adrienne & Meyers, Frederick J.
- 208-216 Coping strategies as predictors of psychosocial adaptation in a sample of elderly veterans with acquired lower limb amputations
by Desmond, Deirdre M. & MacLachlan, Malcolm
- 217-227 Alcohol use and sexual behaviour among risky drinkers and bar and shebeen patrons in Gauteng province, South Africa
by Morojele, Neo K. & Kachieng'a, Millicent A. & Mokoko, Evodia & Nkoko, Matsobane A. & Parry, Charles D.H. & Nkowane, Annette M. & Moshia, Kgaogelo M. & Saxena, Shekhar
- 228-238 Health world views of post-soviet citizens
by Abbott, Pamela A & Turmov, Sergei & Wallace, Claire
- 239-253 Therapeutic misconception in early phase gene transfer trials
by Henderson, Gail E. & Easter, Michele M. & Zimmer, Catherine & King, Nancy M.P. & Davis, Arlene M. & Rothschild, Barbra Bluestone & Churchill, Larry R. & Wilfond, Benjamin S. & Nelson, Daniel K.
- 254-266 Estimating clandestine abortion with the confidants method--results from Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
by Rossier, Clémentine & Guiella, George & Ouédraogo, Abdoulaye & Thiéba, Blandine
2005, Volume 61, Issue 12
- 2469-2481 Is migration to Canada associated with unhealthy weight gain? Overweight and obesity among Canada's immigrants
by McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven
- 2482-2491 A narrative approach to understanding the nursing work environment in Canada
by McGillis Hall, Linda & Kiesners, Diana
- 2492-2500 Physician migration: Views from professionals in Colombia, Nigeria, India, Pakistan and the Philippines
by Astor, Avraham & Akhtar, Tasleem & Matallana, María Alexandra & Muthuswamy, Vasantha & Olowu, Folarin A. & Tallo, Veronica & Lie, Reidar K.
- 2501-2512 Combined effects of uncertainty and organizational justice on employee health: Testing the uncertainty management model of fairness judgments among Finnish public sector employees
by Elovainio, Marko & van den Bos, Kees & Linna, Anne & Kivimäki, Mika & Ala-Mursula, Leena & Pentti, Jaana & Vahtera, Jussi
- 2513-2520 Intragenerational mobility and mortality in Oslo: Social selection versus social causation
by Claussen, Bjorgulf & Smits, Jeroen & Naess, Oyvind & Davey Smith, George
- 2521-2527 Health status among young people in Slovakia: comparisons on the basis of age, gender and education
by Sleskova, Maria & Salonna, Ferdinand & Madarasova Geckova, Andrea & van Dijk, Jitse P. & Groothoff, Johan W.
- 2528-2535 Barriers to cervical cancer screening: A qualitative study with women in Serbia
by Markovic, Milica & Kesic, Vesna & Topic, Lidija & Matejic, Bojana
- 2536-2545 Ruling in and ruling out: Implications of molecular genetic diagnoses for disease classification
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Ahern, Catherine & Ogilvie, Jacqueline & Giacomini, Mita & Schwartz, Lisa
- 2546-2556 Psychiatrists as social engineers: A study of an anti-stigma campaign
by Pilgrim, David & Rogers, Anne E.
- 2557-2567 Spousal influence on smoking behaviors in a US community sample of newly married couples
by Homish, Gregory G. & Leonard, Kenneth E.
- 2568-2576 Income inequality, poverty, and population health: Evidence from recent data for the United States
by Ram, Rati
- 2577-2587 Community-based participatory research (CBPR) in South Africa: Engaging multiple constituents to shape the research question
by Mosavel, Maghboeba & Simon, Christian & van Stade, Debbie & Buchbinder, Mara
- 2588-2599 The focus group method: Insights from focus group interviews on sexual health with adolescents
by Hyde, Abbey & Howlett, Etaoine & Brady, Dympna & Drennan, Jonathan
- 2600-2610 Retrofitting houses with insulation to reduce health inequalities: Aims and methods of a clustered, randomised community-based trial
by Howden-Chapman, P. & Crane, J. & Matheson, A. & Viggers, H. & Cunningham, M. & Blakely, T. & O'Dea, D. & Cunningham, C. & Woodward, A. & Saville-Smith, K. & Baker, M. & Waipara, N.
- 2611-2627 'Unilateral' and 'bilateral' practitioner approaches in decision-making about treatment
by Collins, Sarah & Drew, Paul & Watt, Ian & Entwistle, Vikki
- 2628-2638 "When the obvious brother is not there": Political and cultural contexts of the orphan challenge in northern Uganda
by Oleke, Christopher & Blystad, Astrid & Rekdal, Ole Bjørn
- 2639-2657 State health policy making determinants, theory, and methods: A synthesis
by Edward Alan Miller
2005, Volume 61, Issue 11
- 2269-2271 Characterizing the scope of socialization and its impact on health: A commentary on Singh-Manoux and Marmot's "Role of socialization in explaining social inequalities in health" (60: 9, 2005, 2129-2133)
by Siegal, Michael & Aboud, Frances
- 2272-2276 Early childhood socialization and social gradients in adult health: A commentary on Singh-Manoux and Marmot's "Role of socialization in explaining social inequalities in health" (60: 9, 2005, 2129-2133)
by Kendall, Garth E. & Li, Jianghong
- 2277-2279 Socialization & health inequalities: Some clarifications. A reply to Kendall & Li, and Siegal & Aboud
by Singh-Manoux, Archana
- 2280-2292 Depression in the United States and Japan: Gender, marital status, and SES patterns
by Inaba, Akihide & Thoits, Peggy A. & Ueno, Koji & Gove, Walter R. & Evenson, Ranae J. & Sloan, Melissa
- 2293-2303 Marital transitions and mental health: Are there gender differences in the short-term effects of marital status change?
by Strohschein, Lisa & McDonough, Peggy & Monette, Georges & Shao, Qing
- 2304-2316 Heavy alcohol use and marital dissolution in the USA
by Ostermann, Jan & Sloan, Frank A. & Taylor, Donald H.
- 2317-2330 Gender role orientations and alcohol use among Moscow and Toronto adults
by Van Gundy, Karen & Schieman, Scott & Kelley, Margaret S. & Rebellon, Cesar J.
- 2331-2344 What makes things happen? An analysis of the development of nine health-promoting measures aimed at children and adolescents in three Swedish municipalities
by Guldbrandsson, Karin & Bremberg, Sven & Bäck, Henry
- 2345-2354 Socio-economic influences on self-rated health in Russian men and women--a life course approach
by Nicholson, Amanda & Bobak, Martin & Murphy, Michael & Rose, Richard & Marmot, Michael
- 2355-2362 Priority setting in hospitals: Fairness, inclusiveness, and the problem of institutional power differences
by Gibson, Jennifer L. & Martin, Douglas K. & Singer, Peter A.
- 2363-2373 "Unless you went in with your head under your arm": Patient perceptions of emergency room visits
by Wellstood, Katie & Wilson, Kathi & Eyles, John
- 2374-2383 Calls to a home birth helpline: Empowerment in childbirth
by Shaw, Rebecca & Kitzinger, Celia
- 2384-2395 Beliefs about treatment of mental health problems among Cambodian American children and parents
by Daley, Tamara C.
- 2396-2406 Challenges and changes in spirituality among doctors who become patients
by Klitzman, Robert L. & Daya, Shaira
- 2407-2422 A longitudinal assessment of inter-sectoral participation in a community-based diabetes prevention programme
by Andersson, Camilla Maria & Bjärås, Gunilla & Tillgren, Per & Östenson, Claes-Göran
- 2423-2433 Pediatric adherence: Perspectives of mothers of children with HIV
by Wrubel, Judith & Tedlie Moskowitz, Judith & Anne Richards, T. & Prakke, Heleen & Acree, Michael & Folkman, Susan
- 2434-2445 Achieving social change on gender-based violence: A report on the impact evaluation of Soul City's fourth series
by Usdin, S. & Scheepers, E. & Goldstein, Susan & Japhet, Garth
- 2446-2459 Achieving the 'good life': Why some people want latrines in rural Benin
by Jenkins, Marion W. & Curtis, Val
- 2460-2465 Sociodemographic and attitudinal correlates of cervical screening uptake in a national sample of women in Britain
by Sutton, Stephen & Rutherford, Celia
2005, Volume 61, Issue 10
- 2065-2083 Local neighbourhood and mental health: Evidence from the UK
by Propper, Carol & Jones, Kelvyn & Bolster, Anne & Burgess, Simon & Johnston, Ron & Sarker, Rebecca
- 2084-2095 Mental health and hostility as predictors of temporary employment: Evidence from two prospective studies
by Virtanen, Marianna & Kivimäki, Mika & Elovainio, Marko & Vahtera, Jussi & Kokko, Katja & Pulkkinen, Lea
- 2096-2105 A census-based socio-economic status (SES) index as a tool to examine the relationship between mental health services use and deprivation
by Tello, Juan Eduardo & Jones, Julia & Bonizzato, Paola & Mazzi, Mariangela & Amaddeo, Francesco & Tansella, Michele
- 2106-2118 The poor have become rich, and the rich have become poor: Collective trauma in the Guinean Languette
by Abramowitz, Sharon A.
- 2119-2131 Health implications of access to social capital: findings from an Australian study
by Ziersch, Anna M.
- 2132-2143 The role of constructed meaning in adaptation to the onset of life-threatening illness
by Fife, Betsy L.
- 2144-2154 Consequences of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic heart failure: The relationship between objective and subjective health
by Arnold, Rosemarie & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Koëter, Gerard H. & de Jongste, Mike J.L. & Sanderman, Robbert
- 2155-2164 Contesting stigma and contested emotions: Personal experience and public perception of specific phobias
by Davidson, Joyce
- 2165-2176 Sedentarization and children's health: Changing discourses in the northeast Badia of Jordan
by Spicer, Neil J.
- 2177-2189 Longevity following the experience of parental divorce
by Martin, Leslie R. & Friedman, Howard S. & Clark, Kathleen M. & Tucker, Joan S.
- 2190-2200 The social trajectory of illness: Autism in the ultraorthodox community in Israel
by Shaked, Michal
- 2201-2211 Social implications of arsenic poisoning in Bangladesh
by Hassan, M. Manzurul & Atkins, Peter J. & Dunn, Christine E.
- 2212-2220 What causes sustainable changes in hygiene behaviour? A cross-sectional study from Kerala, India
by Cairncross, Sandy & Shordt, Kathleen & Zacharia, Suma & Govindan, Beena Kumari
- 2221-2232 Health selection in a 14-year follow-up study--A question of gendered discrimination?
by Hammarström, Anne & Janlert, Urban
- 2233-2251 Widening ethnic mortality disparities in New Zealand 1981-99
by Blakely, Tony & Tobias, Martin & Robson, Bridget & Ajwani, Shilpi & Bonné, Martin & Woodward, Alistair
- 2252-2264 Information giving and decision-making in patients with advanced cancer: A systematic review
by Gaston, Christine M. & Mitchell, Geoffrey
2005, Volume 61, Issue 9
- 1867-1881 Working in London hospitals: Perceptions of place in nursing students' employment considerations
by Brodie, David A. & Andrews, Gavin J. & Andrews, Justin P. & Thomas, B. Gail & Wong, Josephine & Rixon, Lorna
- 1882-1892 Digging deep: Using diary techniques to explore the place of health and well-being amongst older people
by Milligan, Christine & Bingley, Amanda & Gatrell, Anthony
- 1893-1904 Place, policy and practitioners: On rehabilitation, independence and the therapeutic landscape in the changing geography of care provision to older people in the UK
by Martin, Graham P. & Nancarrow, Susan A. & Parker, Hilda & Phelps, Kay & Regen, Emma L.
- 1905-1915 Relationships between child, family and neighbourhood characteristics and childhood injury: A cohort study
by Kendrick, Denise & Mulvaney, Caroline & Burton, Paul & Watson, Michael
- 1916-1929 Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men
by Macleod, John & Davey Smith, George & Metcalfe, Chris & Hart, Carole
- 1930-1943 Interorganizational collaboration for health care between nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in Pakistan
by Gulzar, Laila & Henry, Beverly
- 1944-1951 The use of direct clinician observation and vignettes for health services quality evaluation in developing countries
by Leonard, Kenneth L. & Masatu, Melkiory C.
- 1952-1957 Monitoring cause-specific adult mortality in developing countries: A comparison of data sources for Addis Ababa and its implications for policy and research
by Reniers, Georges & Araya, Tekebash & Schaap, Ab & Kumie, Abera & Kebede, Derege & Nagelkerke, Nico & Coutinho, Roel & Sanders, Eduard J.
- 1958-1970 Creating demand for sanitation and hygiene through Community Health Clubs: A cost-effective intervention in two districts in Zimbabwe
by Waterkeyn, Juliet & Cairncross, Sandy
- 1971-1982 Food insufficiency and women's mental health: Findings from a 3-year panel of welfare recipients
by Heflin, Colleen M. & Siefert, Kristine & Williams, David R.
- 1983-1992 Women as moral pioneers? Experiences of first trimester antenatal screening
by Williams, Clare & Sandall, Jane & Lewando-Hundt, Gillian & Heyman, Bob & Spencer, Kevin & Grellier, Rachel
- 1993-2006 Can women's autonomy impede male involvement in pregnancy health in Katmandu, Nepal?
by Mullany, Britta C. & Hindin, Michelle J. & Becker, Stan
- 2007-2017 Social capital in settings with a high concentration of road traffic injuries. The case of Cuernavaca, Mexico
by Inclán, Cristina & Hijar, Martha & Tovar, Victor
- 2018-2026 The income-associated burden of disease in the United States
by Muennig, Peter & Franks, Peter & Jia, Haomiao & Lubetkin, Erica & Gold, Marthe R
- 2027-2037 Safe asleep? Human-machine relations in medical practice
by Mort, Maggie & Goodwin, Dawn & Smith, Andrew F & Pope, Catherine
- 2038-2046 The experience of SARS-related stigma at Amoy Gardens
by Lee, Sing & Chan, Lydia Y.Y. & Chau, Annie M.Y. & Kwok, Kathleen P.S. & Kleinman, Arthur
2005, Volume 61, Issue 8
- 1629-1639 Using hormone treatment to reduce the adult height of tall girls: Are women satisfied with the decision in later years?
by Pyett, Priscilla & Rayner, Jo & Venn, Alison & Bruinsma, Fiona & Werther, George & Lumley, Judith
- 1640-1648 Speaking of women's 'nameless misery': The everyday construction of depression in Australian women's magazines
by Gattuso, Suzy & Fullagar, Simone & Young, Ilena
- 1649-1657 Research use in children's mental health policy in Canada: Maintaining vigilance amid ambiguity
by Waddell, Charlotte & Lavis, John N. & Abelson, Julia & Lomas, Jonathan & Shepherd, Cody A. & Bird-Gayson, Twylla & Giacomini, Mita & (Dan) Offord, David R.
- 1658-1667 Alcohol dependence and depression among heavy drinkers in Canada
by Lukassen, Jennifer & Beaudet, Marie P.
- 1668-1677 Psychiatric "survivors" and testimonies of self-harm
by Cresswell, Mark
- 1678-1688 Fear of crime, mobility and mental health in inner-city London, UK
by Whitley, Rob & Prince, Martin
- 1689-1700 From mandatory to voluntary testing: Balancing human rights, religious and cultural values, and HIV/AIDS prevention in Ghana
by Luginaah, Isaac N. & Yiridoe, Emmanuel K. & Taabazuing, Mary-Margaret
- 1701-1710 Listening to those on the frontline: Lessons for community-based tuberculosis programmes from a qualitative study in Swaziland
by Escott, Sarah & Walley, John
- 1711-1722 The potential of schoolchildren as health change agents in rural western Kenya
by Onyango-Ouma, W. & Aagaard-Hansen, J. & Jensen, B.B.
- 1723-1732 A comparison of attitudes towards end-of-life decisions: Survey among the Dutch general public and physicians
by Rietjens, Judith A.C. & van der Heide, Agnes & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & van der Maas, Paul J. & van der Wal, Gerrit
- 1733-1740 The medicine user--Lost in translation?: Analysis of the official political debate prior to the deregulation of the Danish medicine distribution system
by Noerreslet, Mikkel & Larsen, Jakob B. & Traulsen, Janine M.
- 1741-1749 Conflicting notions of research ethics: The mutually challenging traditions of social scientists and medical researchers
by Hoeyer, Klaus & Dahlager, Lisa & Lynöe, Niels
- 1750-1760 The flight of physicians from West Africa: Views of African physicians and implications for policy
by Hagopian, Amy & Ofosu, Anthony & Fatusi, Adesegun & Biritwum, Richard & Essel, Ama & Gary Hart, L. & Watts, Carolyn
- 1761-1771 Does NHS Direct empower patients?
by O'Cathain, Alicia & Goode, Jackie & Luff, Donna & Strangleman, Tim & Hanlon, Gerard & Greatbatch, David
- 1772-1775 Physicians' willingness to report impaired colleagues
by Farber, Neil J. & Gilibert, Stephanie G. & Aboff, Brian M. & Collier, Virginia U. & Weiner, Joan & Boyer, E. Gil
- 1776-1784 Relating health policy to women's health outcomes
by Wisdom, Jennifer P. & Berlin, Michelle & Lapidus, Jodi A.
- 1785-1794 Overt and covert barriers to the integration of primary and specialist mental health care
by Gask, Linda
- 1795-1808 Time on my side? Life course trajectories of poverty and health
by McDonough, Peggy & Sacker, Amanda & Wiggins, Richard D.
- 1809-1820 ''If they rape me, I can't blame them": Reflections on gender in the social context of child rape in South Africa and Namibia
by Jewkes, Rachel & Penn-Kekana, Loveday & Rose-Junius, Hetty
- 1821-1827 Internet use and stigmatized illness
by Berger, Magdalena & Wagner, Todd H. & Baker, Laurence C.
- 1828-1834 Reluctant acceptance of xenotransplantation in kidney patients on the waiting list for transplantation
by Kranenburg, Leonieke W. & Kerssens, Chantal & Ijzermans, Jan N.M. & Zuidema, Willij & Weimar, Willem & Busschbach, Jan J.V.
- 1835-1845 Negative affectivity and enhanced symptom reports: Differentiating between symptoms in men and women
by Van Diest, Ilse & De Peuter, Steven & Eertmans, Audrey & Bogaerts, Katleen & Victoir, An & Van den Bergh, Omer
- 1846-1853 Why do patients and families request transfers to tertiary care? a qualitative study
by Dy, Sydney Morss & Rubin, Haya R. & Lehmann, Harold P.
- 1854-1865 Trials and tribulations: Understanding motivations for clinical research participation amongst adults with cystic fibrosis
by Lowton, Karen
2005, Volume 61, Issue 7
- 1381-1384 Editorial: building trust and value in health systems in low- and middle-income countries
by Gilson, Lucy
- 1385-1395 The market shaping of charges, trust and abuse: health care transactions in Tanzania
by Tibandebage, Paula & Mackintosh, Maureen
- 1396-1407 Treatment-seeking behaviour in urban Sri Lanka: Trusting the state, trusting private providers
by Russell, Steven
- 1408-1417 Private obstetric practice in a public hospital: mythical trust in obstetric care
by Riewpaiboon, Wachara & Chuengsatiansup, Komatra & Gilson, Lucy & Tangcharoensathien, Viroj
- 1418-1429 Trust and health worker performance: exploring a conceptual framework using South African evidence
by Gilson, Lucy & Palmer, Natasha & Schneider, Helen
- 1430-1438 Trust in micro-health insurance: an exploratory study in Rwanda
by Schneider, Pia
- 1439-1451 How can trust be investigated? Drawing lessons from past experience
by Goudge, Jane & Gilson, Lucy
- 1452-1462 Information and access to health care: is there a role for trust?
by Thiede, Michael
- 1463-1473 Trust and informed consent: insights from community members on the Kenyan coast
by Molyneux, C.S. & Peshu, N. & Marsh, K.
- 1474-1484 The birth of the e-clinic. Continuity or transformation in the UK governance of pharmaceutical consumption?
by Fox, Nick & Ward, Katie & O'Rourke, Alan
- 1485-1494 Towards a wireless patient: Chronic illness, scarce care and technological innovation in the United Kingdom
by May, Carl & Finch, Tracy & Mair, Frances & Mort, Maggie
- 1495-1504 Essences and imperatives: An investigation of technology in childbirth
by Kornelsen, Jude
- 1505-1515 The somatising effect of clinical consultation: What patients and doctors say and do not say when patients present medically unexplained physical symptoms
by Ring, Adele & Dowrick, Christopher F. & Humphris, Gerry M. & Davies, John & Salmon, Peter
- 1516-1528 Measuring patient-centered communication in Patient-Physician consultations: Theoretical and practical issues
by Epstein, Ronald M. & Franks, Peter & Fiscella, Kevin & Shields, Cleveland G. & Meldrum, Sean C. & Kravitz, Richard L. & Duberstein, Paul R.
- 1529-1539 Gender, religious involvement, and HIV/AIDS prevention in Mozambique
by Agadjanian, Victor
- 1540-1550 Managing uncertainty around HIV/AIDS in an urban setting: Private medical providers and their patients in Pune, India
by Kielmann, Karina & Deshmukh, Deepali & Deshpande, Sucheta & Datye, Vinita & Porter, John & Rangan, Sheela
- 1551-1559 Mental health and socio-economic variations in Australian suicide
by Taylor, Richard & Page, Andrew & Morrell, Stephen & Harrison, James & Carter, Greg
- 1560-1566 Discrepancy in the preferences of place of death between terminally ill cancer patients and their primary family caregivers in Taiwan
by Tang, Siew Tzuh & Liu, Tsang-Wu & Lai, Mei-Shu & McCorkle, Ruth
- 1567-1575 Socioeconomic factors associated with the onset of disability in older age: a longitudinal study of people aged 75 years and over
by Matthews, Ruth J. & Smith, Lucy K. & Hancock, Ruth M. & Jagger, Carol & Spiers, Nicola A.
- 1576-1596 Experiences of discrimination: Validity and reliability of a self-report measure for population health research on racism and health
by Krieger, Nancy & Smith, Kevin & Naishadham, Deepa & Hartman, Cathy & Barbeau, Elizabeth M.
- 1597-1607 Estimation of private and social time preferences for health in northern Tanzania
by Robberstad, Bjarne
- 1608-1617 Determinants of the demand for breast cancer screening among women veterans in the United States
by Lairson, David R. & Chan, Wenyaw & Newmark, Georgina R.
- 1618-1625 Relationship of anxiety, depression and alcohol use disorders to persistent high utilization and potentially problematic under-utilization of primary medical care
by Ford, Julian D. & Trestman, Robert L. & Tennen, Howard & Allen, Scott
2005, Volume 61, Issue 6
- 1119-1134 Effect of specific aspects of community social environment on the mortality of Individuals diagnosed with serious illness
by Wen, Ming & Cagney, Kathleen A. & Christakis, Nicholas A.
- 1135-1150 Neighborhood economic conditions, social processes, and self-rated health in low-income neighborhoods in Texas: A multilevel latent variables model
by Franzini, Luisa & Caughy, Margaret & Spears, William & Eugenia Fernandez Esquer, Maria
- 1151-1158 Social capital and substance use among Swedish adolescents--an explorative study
by Lundborg, Petter
- 1159-1173 The pet connection: Pets as a conduit for social capital?
by Wood, Lisa & Giles-Corti, Billie & Bulsara, Max
- 1174-1188 Individual socio-economic status, community socio-economic status and stroke in New Zealand: A case control study
by Brown, Paul & Guy, Melody & Broad, Joanna
- 1189-1200 "This glorious twilight zone of uncertainty": Mental health consultations in general practice in New Zealand
by Dew, Kevin & Dowell, Anthony & McLeod, Deborah & Collings, Sunny & Bushnell, John
- 1201-1210 'At the point at which you can do something about it, then it becomes more relevant': Informed consent in the pharmacogenetic clinic
by Hedgecoe, Adam
- 1211-1222 Views of US researchers about informed consent in international collaborative research
by Dawson, Liza & Kass, Nancy E.
- 1223-1242 The effect of immigrant generation on smoking
by Acevedo-Garcia, Dolores & Pan, Jocelyn & Jun, Hee-Jin & Osypuk, Theresa L. & Emmons, Karen M.
- 1243-1255 Do healthy behaviors decline with greater acculturation?: Implications for the Latino mortality paradox
by Abraído-Lanza, Ana F. & Chao, Maria T. & Flórez, Karen R.
- 1256-1266 Self-reported health as a cultural health determinant in Arab and Jewish Israelis: MABAT--National Health and Nutrition Survey 1999-2001
by Baron-Epel, Orna & Kaplan, Giora & Haviv-Messika, Amalia & Tarabeia, Jalal & Green, Manfred S. & Nitzan Kaluski, Dorit
- 1267-1277 Combat stress reactions, posttraumatic stress disorder, cumulative life stress, and physical health among Israeli veterans twenty years after exposure to combat
by Benyamini, Yael & Solomon, Zahava
- 1278-1290 Sexuality after breast cancer treatment: Changes and coping strategies among Japanese survivors
by Takahashi, Miyako & Kai, Ichiro
- 1291-1299 Decision-makers and the usefulness of research evidence in policy implementation--a case study from Lao PDR
by Tomson, G. & Paphassarang, C. & Jönsson, K. & Houamboun, K. & Akkhavong, K. & Wahlström, R.
- 1300-1309 Resemblance talk: A challenge for parents whose children were conceived with donor gametes in the US
by Becker, Gay & Butler, Anneliese & Nachtigall, Robert D.
- 1310-1319 The work of forgetting: Germs, aborigines and postcolonial expertise in the Northern Territory of Australia
by Lea, Tess
- 1320-1330 Failure to seek needed medical care: Results from a national health survey of Icelanders
by Vilhjalmsson, Runar
- 1331-1341 Utility-driven evidence for healthy cities: Problems with evidence generation and application
by de Leeuw, Evelyne & Skovgaard, Thomas
- 1342-1355 Economic valuation of informal care: The conjoint measurement method applied to informal caregiving
by van den Berg, Bernard & Al, Maiwenn & Brouwer, Werner & van Exel, Job & Koopmanschap, Marc
- 1356-1368 Understanding the relationship of maternal health behavior change and intervention strategies in a Nicaraguan NGO network
by Valadez, Joseph J. & Hage, Jerald & Vargas, William
- 1369-1380 The moral career of poor patients in free clinics
by Parizot, Isabelle & Chauvin, Pierre & Paugam, Serge
2005, Volume 61, Issue 5
- 881-892 A comparative analysis of drug safety withdrawals in the UK and the US (1971-1992): Implications for current regulatory thinking and policy
by Abraham, John & Davis, Courtney
- 893-906 Global trade, public health, and health services: Stakeholders' constructions of the key issues
by Waitzkin, Howard & Jasso-Aguilar, Rebeca & Landwehr, Angela & Mountain, Carolyn
- 907-919 Income inequality and adult nutritional status: Anthropometric evidence from a pre-industrial society in the Bolivian Amazon
by Godoy, Ricardo & Byron, Elizabeth & Reyes-García, Victoria & Vadez, Vincent & Leonard, William R. & Apaza, Lilian & Huanca, Tomás & Pérez, Eddy & Wilkie, David
- 920-930 Selfhood and social distance: Toward a cultural understanding of psychiatric stigma in Egypt
by Coker, Elizabeth M.
- 931-942 Socio-cultural factors influencing prevention and treatment of tuberculosis in immigrant and Aboriginal communities in Canada
by Gibson, N. & Cave, A. & Doering, D. & Ortiz, L. & Harms, P.
- 943-964 Social capital and mental health: An interdisciplinary review of primary evidence
by Almedom, Astier M.
- 965-975 Neighborhood disorder, psychological distress, and heavy drinking
by Hill, Terrence D. & Angel, Ronald J.
- 976-984 Obtaining sensitive information from a wary population: A comparison of telephone and face-to-face surveys of welfare recipients in the United States
by Pridemore, William Alex & Damphousse, Kelly R. & Moore, Rebecca K.
- 985-988 Third-party informed consent in research with adolescents: The good, the bad and the ugly
by Geluda, Katia & Buarque Bisaglia, Joana & Moreira, Vivian & Motta Maldonado, Beatriz & JLA Cunha, Antônio & Trajman, Anete
- 989-1000 Moving beyond the mother-child dyad: Women's education, child immunization, and the importance of context in rural India
by Parashar, Sangeeta
- 1001-1014 Pregnancy outcomes, site of delivery, and community schisms in regions affected by the armed conflict in Chiapas, Mexico
by Brentlinger, Paula E. & Javier Sánchez-Pérez, Héctor & Arana Cedeño, Marcos & Guadalupe Vargas Morales, Lic. & Hernán, Miguel A. & Micek, Mark A. & Ford, Douglas
- 1015-1025 Physician-patient communication following invasive procedures: an analysis of post-angiogram consultations
by Gordon, Howard S. & Street, Richard Jr. & Adam Kelly, P. & Souchek, Julianne & Wray, Nelda P.
- 1026-1044 The social structural production of HIV risk among injecting drug users
by Rhodes, Tim & Singer, Merrill & Bourgois, Philippe & Friedman, Samuel R. & Strathdee, Steffanie A.
- 1045-1058 Decolonization and the movement for institutionalization of Chinese medicine in Hong Kong: a political process perspective
by Chiu, Stephen W.K. & Ko, Lisanne S.F. & Lee, Rance P.L.
- 1059-1071 Family, kinship, memory and temporality in the age of the new genetics
by Finkler, Kaja
- 1072-1082 Mothers, daughters and sexual agency in one low-income South African community
by Lesch, Elmien & Kruger, Lou-Marie
- 1083-1094 Expectations regarding length and health related quality of life: Some empirical findings
by Brouwer, Werner B.F. & van Exel, N. Job A.
- 1095-1105 Men, sport, spinal cord injury, and narratives of hope
by Smith, Brett & Sparkes, Andrew C.
- 1106-1117 'That's like chopping off a finger because you're afraid it might get broken': Disease and illness in women's views of prophylactic mastectomy
by Press, Nancy & Reynolds, Susan & Pinsky, Linda & Murthy, Vinaya & Leo, Michael & Burke, Wylie
2005, Volume 61, Issue 4
- 745-750 The social production of health: Critical contributions from evolutionary, biological, and cultural anthropology
by Levin, Betty Wolder & Browner, C.H.
- 751-753 The value of a critical ethnographic engagement: comments on the social production of health
by Lindenbaum, Shirley
- 755-765 Evolutionary, historical and political economic perspectives on health and disease
by Armelagos, George J. & Brown, Peter J. & Turner, Bethany
- 767-783 When "health" is not enough: societal, individual and biomedical assessments of well-being among the Matsigenka of the Peruvian Amazon
by Izquierdo, Carolina
- 785-795 Vital warmth and well-being: steambathing as household therapy among the Tzeltal and Tzotzil Maya of highland Chiapas, Mexico
by Groark, Kevin P.
- 797-808 "What's wrong with me?": cervical cancer in Venezuela--living in the borderlands of health, disease, and illness
by Martínez, Rebecca G.
- 809-820 The call to life: revitalizing a healthy Hawaiian identity
by McMullin, Juliet
- 821-831 Desperately seeking "normal": the promise and perils of living with kidney transplantation
by Crowley-Matoka, Megan
- 833-846 Coca-colonization of diets in the Yucatan
by Leatherman, Thomas L. & Goodman, Alan
- 847-859 Limited good and limited vision: multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and global health policy
by Yong Kim, Jim & Shakow, Aaron & Mate, Kedar & Vanderwarker, Chris & Gupta, Rajesh & Farmer, Paul
- 861-878 Receding horizons of health: biocultural approaches to public health paradoxes
by Worthman, Carol M. & Kohrt, Brandon
2005, Volume 61, Issue 3
- 503-516 'It's caveman stuff, but that is to a certain extent how guys still operate': men's accounts of masculinity and help seeking
by O'Brien, Rosaleen & Hunt, Kate & Hart, Graham
- 517-526 Smoking behaviour change among fathers of new infants
by Blackburn, Clare & Bonas, Sheila & Spencer, Nick & Dolan, Alan & Coe, Christine & Moy, Robert
- 527-540 Cultural consonance and arterial blood pressure in urban Brazil
by Dressler, William W. & Balieiro, Mauro C. & Ribeiro, Rosane P. & Ernesto Dos Santos, José
- 541-554 The impact of health care providers on female sterilization among HIV-positive women in Brazil
by Hopkins, Kristine & Maria Barbosa, Regina & Riva Knauth, Daniela & Potter, Joseph E.
- 555-564 Psychological distress among AIDS orphans in rural Uganda
by Atwine, Benjamin & Cantor-Graae, Elizabeth & Bajunirwe, Francis
- 565-576 Adherence, stereotyping and unequal HIV treatment for active users of illegal drugs
by Ware, Norma C. & Wyatt, Monique A. & Tugenberg, Toni
- 577-590 The ecology of health care in Hong Kong
by Leung, Gabriel M. & O.L. Wong, Irene & Chan, Wai-Sum & Choi, Sarah & Lo, Su-Vui
- 591-599 Exposure to suicide and suicidal behaviors among Hong Kong adolescents
by Wong, Joy P.S. & Stewart, Sunita M. & Ho, S.Y. & Rao, Uma & Lam, T.H.
- 601-611 Longitudinal study of child immunization determinants in China
by Xie, Jipan & Dow, William H.
- 613-625 Measuring the quality of child health care at first-level facilities
by Gouws, Eleanor & Bryce, Jennifer & Pariyo, George & Armstrong Schellenberg, Joanna & Amaral, João & Habicht, Jean-Pierre
- 627-635 Comparison or consumption? Distinguishing between different effects of income on health in Nordic welfare states
by Yngwe, Monica Åberg & Fritzell, Johan & Burström, Bo & Lundberg, Olle
- 637-647 Health inequalities by wage income in Sweden: The role of work environment
by Hemström, Örjan
- 649-659 Tobacco taxation and public health: ethical problems, policy responses
by Wilson, Nick & Thomson, George
- 661-671 Coding patient-centred behaviour in the medical encounter
by Zandbelt, Linda C. & Smets, Ellen M.A. & Oort, Frans J. & de Haes, Hanneke C.J.M.