Social Science & Medicine
June 2006, Volume 62, Issue 12
- 3177-3185 Social health insurance in a developing country: The case of the Philippines
by Obermann, Konrad & Jowett, Matthew R. & Alcantara, Maria Ofelia O. & Banzon, Eduardo P. & Bodart, Claude
- 3186-3196 The geography of self-injury: Spatial patterns in attempted and completed suicide
by Hempstead, Katherine
June 2006, Volume 62, Issue 11
- 2613-2620 Introduction: Gift horse or Trojan horse? Social science perspectives on evidence-based health care
by Lambert, Helen & Gordon, Elisa J. & Bogdan-Lovis, Elizabeth A.
- 2621-2632 On evidence and evidence-based medicine: Lessons from the philosophy of science
by Goldenberg, Maya J.
- 2633-2645 Accounting for EBM: Notions of evidence in medicine
by Lambert, Helen
- 2646-2657 The role of evidence in alternative medicine: Contrasting biomedical and anthropological approaches
by Barry, Christine Ann
- 2658-2669 Of spineless babies and folic acid: Evidence and efficacy in biomedicine and ayurvedic medicine
by Naraindas, Harish
- 2670-2680 What evidence, whose evidence?: Physical therapy in New York State's clinical practice guideline and in the lives of mothers of disabled children
by Landsman, Gail H.
- 2681-2693 The contextual influence of professional culture: Certified nurse-midwives' knowledge of and reliance on evidence-based practice
by Bogdan-Lovis, Elizabeth A. & Sousa, Aron
- 2694-2706 The social and cultural shaping of medical evidence: Case studies from pharmaceutical research and obstetric science
by De Vries, Raymond & Lemmens, Trudo
- 2707-2719 The political contexts of evidence-based medicine: Policymaking for daily hemodialysis
by Gordon, Elisa Jill
- 2720-2731 Making the invisible body visible. Bone scans, osteoporosis and women's bodily experiences
by Reventlow, Susanne Dalsgaard & Hvas, Lotte & Malterud, Kirsti
- 2732-2741 The stratification of social capital and its consequences for self-rated health in Taganrog, Russia
by Rojas, Yerko & Carlson, Per
- 2742-2753 Why do women consent to surgery, even when they do not want to? An interactionist and Bourdieusian analysis
by Dixon-Woods, Mary & Williams, Simon J. & Jackson, Clare J. & Akkad, Andrea & Kenyon, Sara & Habiba, Marwan
- 2754-2767 The work to make telemedicine work: A social and articulative view
by Nicolini, Davide
- 2768-2773 Legal and ethico-legal issues in e-healthcare research projects in the UK
by McCubbin, Caroline N.
- 2774-2785 Healing traditions and men's sexual health in Mumbai, India: The realities of practiced medicine in urban poor communities
by Schensul, Stephen L. & Mekki-Berrada, Abdelwahed & Nastasi, Bonnie & Saggurti, Niranjan & Verma, Ravi K.
- 2786-2797 Systems of medicine and nationalist discourse in India: Towards "new horizons" in medical anthropology and history
by Khan, Shamshad
- 2798-2809 Barriers to and attitudes towards promoting husbands' involvement in maternal health in Katmandu, Nepal
by Mullany, Britta C.
- 2810-2825 Culturally compelling strategies for behaviour change: A social ecology model and case study in malaria prevention
by Panter-Brick, Catherine & Clarke, Sian E. & Lomas, Heather & Pinder, Margaret & Lindsay, Steve W.
- 2826-2837 The timing of marriage and childbearing among rural families in Bangladesh: Choosing between competing risks
by Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Bates, Lisa M. & Islam, Farzana & Islam, Md. Khairul
- 2838-2847 An international study of irritable bowel syndrome: Family relationships and mind-body attributions
by Gerson, Mary-Joan & Gerson, Charles D. & Awad, Richard A. & Dancey, Christine & Poitras, Pierre & Porcelli, Piero & Sperber, Ami D.
- 2848-2860 Gender differences in religious practices, spiritual experiences and health: Results from the US General Social Survey
by Maselko, Joanna & Kubzansky, Laura D.
- 2861-2873 Sharing decisions in consultations involving anti-psychotic medication: A qualitative study of psychiatrists' experiences
by Seale, Clive & Chaplin, Robert & Lelliott, Paul & Quirk, Alan
- 2874-2886 The relationship between media reporting of suicide and actual suicide in Australia
by Pirkis, Jane E. & Burgess, Philip M. & Francis, Catherine & Blood, R. Warwick & Jolley, Damien J.
- 2887-2896 Recent life events and suicide: A case-control study in Tallinn and Frankfurt
by Kõlves, Kairi & Värnik, Airi & Schneider, Barbara & Fritze, Jürgen & Allik, Jüri
- 2897-2914 Health disparities between racial groups in South Africa: A decomposition analysis
by Charasse-Pouélé, Cécile & Fournier, Martin
May 2006, Volume 62, Issue 10
- 2349-2359 (Re)constructing embryos in stem cell research: Exploring the meaning of embryos for people involved in fertility treatments
by Parry, Sarah
- 2360-2372 On being at higher risk: A qualitative study of prenatal screening for chromosomal anomalies
by Heyman, Bob & Hundt, Gillian & Sandall, Jane & Spencer, Kevin & Williams, Clare & Grellier, Rachel & Pitson, Laura
- 2373-2385 Understanding the new human genetics: A review of scientific editorials
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Ahern, Catherine & Smith, Christopher A. & Harvey, Erin A.
- 2386-2396 The search for social validation and the sexual behavior of people living with HIV in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Understanding the role of treatment optimism in context
by Kerrigan, Deanna & Bastos, Francisco I. & Malta, Monica & Carneiro-da-Cunha, Claudia & Pilotto, J.H. & Strathdee, Steffanie A.
- 2397-2410 Psychosocial problems of bereaved families of HIV-infected hemophiliacs in Japan
by Mizota, Yuri & Ozawa, Megumi & Yamazaki, Yoshihiko & Inoue, Yoji
- 2411-2419 Men's involvement in the South African family: Engendering change in the AIDS era
by Montgomery, Catherine M. & Hosegood, Victoria & Busza, Joanna & Timæus, Ian M.
- 2420-2433 Vulnerability, unsafe sex and non-adherence to HAART: Evidence from a large sample of French HIV/AIDS outpatients
by Peretti-Watel, P. & Spire, B. & Schiltz, M.A. & Bouhnik, A.D. & Heard, I. & Lert, F. & Obadia, Y.
- 2434-2444 Female sex workers as health educators with men who buy sex: Utilising narratives of rationalisations
by Sanders, Teela
- 2445-2457 Internet marketing of bariatric surgery: Contemporary trends in the medicalization of obesity
by Salant, Talya & Santry, Heena P.
- 2458-2468 Obesity, weight loss, and physician's advice
by Loureiro, Maria L. & Nayga, Rodolfo Jr
- 2469-2478 The burden of disease associated with being African-American in the United States and the contribution of socio-economic status
by Franks, Peter & Muennig, Peter & Lubetkin, Erica & Jia, Haomiao
- 2479-2488 Race, socioeconomic status, and the perceived importance of positive self-presentation in health care
by Malat, Jennifer R. & van Ryn, Michelle & Purcell, David
- 2489-2499 Does socio-economic advantage lead to a longer, healthier old age?
by Matthews, Ruth J. & Jagger, Carol & Hancock, Ruth M.
- 2500-2512 Death, depression and 'defensive expansion': Closing down smoking as an issue for discussion in GP consultations
by Pilnick, Alison & Coleman, Tim
- 2513-2525 Could the peer group explain school differences in pupil smoking rates? An exploratory study
by Turner, Katrina & West, Patrick & Gordon, Jacki & Young, Robert & Sweeting, Helen
- 2526-2539 Teenage children of teenage mothers: Psychological, behavioural and health outcomes from an Australian prospective longitudinal study
by Shaw, Mary & Lawlor, Debbie A. & Najman, Jake M.
- 2540-2550 Recasting research into children's experiences of parental mental illness: Beyond risk and resilience
by Gladstone, Brenda McConnell & Boydell, Katherine M. & McKeever, Patricia
- 2551-2564 Non-attendance and effective equity of access at four public specialist outpatient centers in Hong Kong
by Johnston, Janice M. & Leung, Gabriel & Saing, Hnin & Kwok, Kin-On & Ho, Lai-Ming & Wong, Irene O.L. & Tin, Keith Y.K.
- 2565-2576 What do cancer support groups provide which other supportive relationships do not? The experience of peer support groups for people with cancer
by Ussher, Jane & Kirsten, Laura & Butow, Phyllis & Sandoval, Mirjana
- 2577-2590 Gender, cancer experience and internet use: A comparative keyword analysis of interviews and online cancer support groups
by Seale, Clive & Ziebland, Sue & Charteris-Black, Jonathan
- 2591-2600 Cancer in the mass print media: Fear, uncertainty and the medical model
by Clarke, Juanne N. & Everest, Michelle M.
- 2601-2611 Negotiation over self-control and activity: An analysis of balancing in the repertoires of Finnish healthy lifestyles
by Pajari, Pia M. & Jallinoja, Piia & Absetz, Pilvikki
May 2006, Volume 62, Issue 9
- 2091-2100 Incremental cost-effectiveness ratios (ICERs): The silence of the lambda
by Gafni, Amiram & Birch, Stephen
- 2101-2111 Price elasticity of demand for malt liquor beer: Findings from a US pilot study
by French, Michael Thomas & BrownTaylor, Didra & Bluthenthal, Ricky Neville
- 2112-2124 Does chain affiliation make a difference in efficiency of dialysis providers in the USA
by Ozgen, Hacer
- 2125-2136 Being around and knowing the players: Networks of influence in health policy
by Lewis, Jenny M.
- 2137-2150 The effects of economic instability on infant, neonatal, and postneonatal mortality rates: Evidence from Taiwan
by Lin, Shin-Jong
- 2151-2160 Social class assignment and mortality in Sweden
by Erikson, Robert
- 2161-2170 Socioeconomic status and health: Do gradients differ within childhood and adolescence?
by Chen, Edith & Martin, Andrew D. & Matthews, Karen A.
- 2171-2182 The wealthy get healthy, the poor get poorly? Lay perceptions of health inequalities
by Davidson, Rosemary & Kitzinger, Jenny & Hunt, Kate
- 2183-2195 Sickness absence and sickness attendance--What people with neck or back pain think
by Hansson, Margareta & Boström, Carina & Harms-Ringdahl, Karin
- 2196-2204 Challenges for the adoption of evidence-based maternity care in Turkey
by Turan, Janet Molzan & Bulut, Aysen & Nalbant, Hacer & OrtaylI, Nuriye & Erbaydar, Tugrul
- 2205-2215 Maternity referral systems in developing countries: Current knowledge and future research needs
by Murray, Susan F. & Pearson, Stephen C.
- 2216-2224 Quality of care and its impact on population health: A cross-sectional study from Macedonia
by Peabody, John W. & Nordyke, Robert J. & Tozija, Fimka & Luck, Jeff & Muñoz, Jorge A. & Sunderland, Anne & DeSalvo, Karen & Ponce, Ninez & McCulloch, Charles
- 2225-2235 The performance of health workers in Ethiopia: Results from qualitative research
by Lindelow, Magnus & Serneels, Pieter
- 2236-2245 Quest, chaos and restitution: Living with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis
by Whitehead, Lisa Claire
- 2246-2257 Men's accounts of depression: Reconstructing or resisting hegemonic masculinity?
by Emslie, Carol & Ridge, Damien & Ziebland, Sue & Hunt, Kate
- 2258-2266 Conversational silence, coercion, equality: The role of language in influencing who gets identified as abused
by Bonomi, Amy E. & Allen, David G. & Holt, Victoria L.
- 2267-2278 Doctor-patient interaction in a randomised controlled trial of decision-support tools
by Rapley, Tim & May, Carl & Heaven, Ben & Murtagh, Madeline & Graham, Ruth & Kaner, Eileen F.S. & Thomson, Richard
- 2279-2290 "It was a snap decision": Parental and professional perspectives on the speed of decisions about participation in perinatal randomised controlled trials
by Snowdon, Claire & Elbourne, Diana & Garcia, Jo
- 2291-2300 The nature and correlates of unmet health care needs in Ontario, Canada
by Nelson, Connie Holmes & Park, Jungwee
- 2301-2312 Living in the shadow of terrorism: Psychological distress and alcohol use among religious and non-religious adolescents in Jerusalem
by Schiff, Miriam
- 2313-2326 Husbands' and wives' reports of women's decision-making power in Western Guatemala and their effects on preventive health behaviors
by Becker, Stan & Fonseca-Becker, Fannie & Schenck-Yglesias, Catherine
- 2327-2335 Health, wealth and fairness based on gender: The support for ethical principles
by Månsdotter, Anna & Lindholm, Lars & Lundberg, Michael
- 2336-2348 Physiotherapy and the shadow of prostitution: The Society of Trained Masseuses and the massage scandals of 1894
by Nicholls, David A. & Cheek, Julianne
April 2006, Volume 62, Issue 8
- 1831-1839 Associations of childhood circumstances with physical and mental functioning in adulthood
by Mäkinen, Tomi & Laaksonen, Mikko & Lahelma, Eero & Rahkonen, Ossi
- 1840-1852 Team leadership and patient outcomes in US psychiatric treatment settings
by Wells, Rebecca & Jinnett, Kimberly & Alexander, Jeffrey & Lichtenstein, Richard & Liu, Dawei & Zazzali, James L.
- 1853-1864 Mental and social health in disasters: Relating qualitative social science research and the Sphere standard
by Batniji, Rajaie & Van Ommeren, Mark & Saraceno, Benedetto
- 1865-1879 Variation in children's cognitive and behavioural adjustment between different types of place in the British National Child Development Study
by McCulloch, Andrew
- 1880-1890 Genetic susceptibility testing from a stress and coping perspective
by Gooding, Holly C. & Organista, Kurt & Burack, Jeffrey & Biesecker, Barbara Bowles
- 1891-1901 Developing attributes for a generic quality of life measure for older people: Preferences or capabilities?
by Grewal, Ini & Lewis, Jane & Flynn, Terry & Brown, Jackie & Bond, John & Coast, Joanna
- 1902-1916 "Does it mean I'm gonna die?": On meaning assessment in the delivery of diagnostic news
by Maynard, Douglas W.
- 1917-1930 Responsive complementary feeding in rural Bangladesh
by Moore, Anna C & Akhter, Sadika & Aboud, Frances E
- 1931-1942 Our health and theirs: Forced migration, othering, and public health
by Grove, Natalie J. & Zwi, Anthony B.
- 1943-1957 Do individual and program factors matter in the utilization of maternal care services in rural India? A theoretical approach
by Sunil, T.S. & Rajaram, S. & Zottarelli, Lisa K.
- 1958-1969 Kaqchikel midwives, home births, and emergency obstetric referrals in Guatemala: Contextualizing the choice to stay at home
by Berry, Nicole S.
- 1970-1977 The male heart and the female mind: A study in the gendering of antidepressants and cardiovascular drugs in advertisements in Irish medical publication
by Curry, Phillip & O'Brien, Marita
- 1978-1990 "...it's all the same no matter how much fruit or vegetables or fresh air we get": Traveller women's perceptions of illness causation and health inequalities
by Hodgins, Margaret & Millar, Michelle & M Barry, Margaret
- 1991-2001 Never-married childless women in Australia: Health and social circumstances in older age
by Cwikel, Julie & Gramotnev, Helen & Lee, Christina
- 2002-2013 Violence against women and suicide risk: The neglected impact of same-sex sexual behaviour
by Lhomond, Brigitte & Saurel-Cubizolles, Marie-Josèphe
- 2014-2023 Effects of husbands' and wives' education on each other's mortality
by Jaffe, Dena H. & Eisenbach, Zvi & Neumark, Yehuda D. & Manor, Orly
- 2024-2034 Shifting dollars, saving lives: What might happen to mortality rates, and socio-economic inequalities in mortality rates, if income was redistributed?
by Blakely, Tony & Wilson, Nick
- 2035-2045 Socioeconomic inequalities in premature mortality in France: Have they widened in recent decades?
by Leclerc, Annette & Chastang, Jean-François & Menvielle, Gwenn & Luce, Danièle
- 2046-2060 A comparative appraisal of the relationship of education, income and housing tenure with less than good health among the elderly in Europe
by Dalstra, J.A.A. & Kunst, A.E. & Mackenbach, J.P.
- 2061-2071 Neighborhood violent crime and unemployment increase the risk of coronary heart disease: A multilevel study in an urban setting
by Sundquist, Kristina & Theobald, Holger & Yang, Min & Li, Xinjun & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Sundquist, Jan
- 2072-2078 Why do case studies on national health research systems matter? Identifying common challenges in low- and middle-income countries
by D'Souza, Carol & Sadana, Ritu
- 2079-2090 Health care practices, professions and perspectives: A case study in intensive care
by Carmel, Simon
April 2006, Volume 62, Issue 7
- 1565-1578 New drug prescribing by hospital doctors: The nature and meaning of knowledge
by Prosser, Helen & Walley, Tom
- 1579-1593 Dilemmas in decision-making about resuscitation--a focus group study of older people
by Vandrevala, Tushna & Hampson, Sarah E. & Daly, Tom & Arber, Sara & Thomas, Hilary
- 1594-1604 Exploring limits to market-based reform: Managed competition and rehabilitation home care services in Ontario
by Randall, Glen E. & Williams, A. Paul
- 1605-1615 Turning the medical gaze in upon itself: Root cause analysis and the investigation of clinical error
by Iedema, Roderick Aren Michael & Jorm, Christine & Long, Debbi & Braithwaite, Jeffrey & Travaglia, Jo & Westbrook, Mary
- 1616-1627 At home in hospital? Interaction and stigma in people affected by cancer
by Wilson, Kate & Luker, Karen A
- 1628-1640 Supportive social relationships and adolescent health risk behavior among secondary school students in El Salvador
by Springer, Andrew & Parcel, Guy & Baumler, Elizabeth & Ross, Michael
- 1641-1649 Associations of poverty, substance use, and HIV transmission risk behaviors in three South African communities
by Kalichman, Seth C. & Simbayi, Leickness C. & Kagee, Ashraf & Toefy, Yoesrie & Jooste, Sean & Cain, Demetria & Cherry, Chauncey
- 1650-1671 Behavioral science at the crossroads in public health: Extending horizons, envisioning the future
by Glass, Thomas A. & McAtee, Matthew J.
- 1672-1684 Gender and HIV risk behavior among intravenous drug users in Sichuan Province, China
by Choi, Susanne Y.P. & Cheung, Yuet Wah & Chen, Kanglin
- 1685-1696 Stigmatizing experience and structural discrimination associated with the treatment of schizophrenia in Hong Kong
by Lee, Sing & Chiu, Marcus Y.L. & Tsang, Adley & Chui, Helena & Kleinman, Arthur
- 1697-1709 Mental health, employment and gender. Cross-sectional evidence in a sample of refugees from Bosnia-Herzegovina living in two Swedish regions
by Blight, Karin Johansson & Ekblad, Solvig & Persson, Jan-Olov & Ekberg, Jan
- 1710-1719 Reaching for the bottle of pesticide--A cry for help. Self-inflicted poisonings in Sri Lanka
by Konradsen, Flemming & Hoek, Wim van der & Peiris, Pushpalatha
- 1720-1730 Preservation of self in people with dementia living in residential care: A socio-biographical approach
by Surr, Claire Alice
- 1731-1744 The role of mediating factors in the association between social deprivation and low birth weight in Germany
by Reime, Birgit & Ratner, Pamela A. & Tomaselli-Reime, Sandra N. & Kelly, Ann & Schuecking, Beate A. & Wenzlaff, Paul
- 1745-1756 Couples' experiences of postnatal depression: A framing analysis of cultural identity, gender and communication
by Everingham, Christine Rosemary & Heading, Gaynor & Connor, Linda
- 1757-1767 Unfulfilled expectations: How circumstances impinge on women's reproductive choices
by Porter, Maureen & Bhattacharya, Siladitya & van Teijlingen, Edwin
- 1768-1784 Income inequality and population health: A review and explanation of the evidence
by Wilkinson, Richard G & Pickett, Kate E.
- 1785-1798 Socioeconomic differences in the progression of carotid atherosclerosis in middle-aged men and women with subclinical atherosclerosis in Sweden
by Rosvall, Maria & Östergren, Per-Olof & Hedblad, Bo & Isacsson, Sven-Olof & Janzon, Lars & Berglund, Göran
- 1799-1809 Health lifestyles and political ideology in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine
by Cockerham, William C. & Hinote, Brian P. & Cockerham, Geoffrey B. & Abbott, Pamela
- 1810-1818 Normative processes and adolescents' smoking behaviour in Norway: A multilevel analysis
by Wiium, Nora & Torsheim, Torbjørn & Wold, Bente
- 1819-1830 The role of public policies in reducing smoking and deaths caused by smoking in Vietnam: Results from the Vietnam tobacco policy simulation model
by Levy, David T. & Bales, Sarah & Lam, Nguyen T. & Nikolayev, Leonid
March 2006, Volume 62, Issue 6
- 1307-1318 Supporting choice and control? Communication and interaction between midwives and women at the antenatal booking visit
by McCourt, Christine
- 1319-1329 Parents' experiences of sharing neonatal information and decisions: Consent, cost and risk
by Alderson, Priscilla & Hawthorne, Joanna & Killen, Margaret
- 1330-1340 Subverting the assembly-line: Childbirth in a free-standing birth centre
by Walsh, Denis
- 1341-1348 Correlations of siblings' and mothers' utilisation of primary and hospital health care: A record linkage study in Western Australia
by Ward, Alison M. & de Klerk, Nick & Pritchard, Douglas & Firth, Martin & Holman, C. D'Arcy J.
- 1349-1359 'Just a bystander'? Men's place in the process of fetal screening and diagnosis
by Locock, Louise & Alexander, Jo
- 1360-1368 Self-regulation and the behavioural response to DNA risk information: A theoretical analysis and framework for future research
by Marteau, Theresa M. & Weinman, John
- 1369-1380 Understanding health behavior change among couples: An interdependence and communal coping approach
by Lewis, Megan A. & McBride, Colleen M. & Pollak, Kathryn I. & Puleo, Elaine & Butterfield, Rita M. & Emmons, Karen M.
- 1381-1391 Experience of health changes and reasons for delay in seeking care: A UK study of the months prior to the diagnosis of lung cancer
by Corner, Jessica & Hopkinson, Jane & Roffe, Liz
- 1392-1402 Social network in long-term diseases: A comparative study in relatives of persons with schizophrenia and physical illnesses versus a sample from the general population
by Magliano, Lorenza & Fiorillo, Andrea & Malangone, Claudio & De Rosa, Corrado & Maj, Mario
- 1403-1413 Ventilator dependence and expressions of need: A study of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in Japan
by Hirano, Yuko Mandai & Yamazaki, Yoshihiko & Shimizu, Junichi & Togari, Taisuke & Bryce, Thomas James
- 1414-1426 The impact of tobacco expenditure on household consumption patterns in rural China
by Wang, Hong & Sindelar, Jody L. & Busch, Susan H.
- 1427-1442 Marital life course events and smoking behaviour in Sweden 1980-2000
by Nystedt, Paul
- 1443-1456 Impact of definition on the study of avoidable mortality: Geographical trends in British deaths 1981-1998 using Charlton and Holland's definitions
by French, Katherine Meriel & Jones, Kelvyn
- 1457-1464 A comparison of health inequalities in urban and rural Scotland
by Levin, Kate A. & Leyland, Alastair H.
- 1465-1473 Psychosocial and neo-material dimensions of SES and health revisited: Predictors of self-rated health in a Canadian national survey
by Dunn, James R. & Veenstra, Gerry & Ross, Nancy
- 1474-1485 NZiDep: A New Zealand index of socioeconomic deprivation for individuals
by Salmond, Clare & Crampton, Peter & King, Peter & Waldegrave, Charles
- 1498-1509 "We are not completely Westernised": Dual medical systems and pathways to health care among Chinese migrant women in England
by Green, Gill & Bradby, Hannah & Chan, Anita & Lee, Maggie
- 1510-1519 Empirical uncertainty and moral contest: A qualitative analysis of the relationship between medical specialists and the pharmaceutical industry in Australia
by Doran, E. & Kerridge, I. & McNeill, P. & Henry, David
- 1520-1527 "To enrol or not to enrol?": A qualitative investigation of demand for health insurance in rural West Africa
by De Allegri, Manuela & Sanon, Mamadou & Sauerborn, Rainer
- 1528-1540 Attitudes towards patient gender among psychiatric hospital staff: Results of a case study with focus groups
by Krumm, Silvia & Kilian, Reinhold & Becker, Thomas
- 1541-1551 Governance in operating room nursing: Nurses' knowledge of individual surgeons
by Glenda Riley, Robin & Manias, Elizabeth
- 1552-1563 Frequency and determinants of advance directives concerning end-of-life care in The Netherlands
by Rurup, Mette L. & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & van der Heide, Agnes & van der Wal, Gerrit & Deeg, Dorly J.H.
March 2006, Volume 62, Issue 5
- 1045-1065 Gender inequalities in US adult health: The interplay of race and ethnicity
by Read, Jen'nan Ghazal & Gorman, Bridget K.
- 1066-1077 Gender differences in job strain, effort-reward imbalance, and health functioning among Chinese physicians
by Li, Jian & Yang, Wenjie & Cho, Sung-il
- 1078-1090 Health professionals, their medical interventions and uncertainty: A study focusing on women at midlife
by Griffiths, F. & Green, E. & Bendelow, G.
- 1091-1102 Men and women managing coronary artery disease risk: Urban-rural contrasts
by King, Kathryn M. & Thomlinson, Elizabeth & Sanguins, Julianne & LeBlanc, Pamela
- 1103-1114 Access to rural health services: Research as community action and policy critique
by Panelli, Ruth & Gallagher, Lou & Kearns, Robin
- 1115-1125 Negotiating mothering against the odds: Gastrostomy tube feeding, stigma, governmentality and disabled children
by Craig, Gillian M. & Scambler, Graham
- 1126-1137 Trends and racial differences in infant mortality in South Africa
by Burgard, Sarah A. & Treiman, Donald J.
- 1138-1152 An investigation of district spatial variations of childhood diarrhoea and fever morbidity in Malawi
by Kandala, Ngianga-Bakwin & Magadi, Monica Akinyi & Madise, Nyovani Janet
- 1153-1166 Understanding the process of adjustment to illness
by Sharpe, Louise & Curran, Leah
- 1167-1178 'I just want permission to be ill': Towards a sociology of medically unexplained symptoms
by Nettleton, Sarah
- 1179-1191 Retirement and mental health: Analysis of the Australian national survey of mental health and well-being
by Butterworth, Peter & Gill, Sarah C. & Rodgers, Bryan & Anstey, Kaarin J. & Villamil, Elena & Melzer, David
- 1192-1204 Beyond rankings: Using cognitive mapping to understand what health care journals represent
by Shewchuk, Richard M. & O'Connor, Stephen J. & Williams, Eric S. & Savage, Grant T.
- 1205-1214 Anxiolytic-hypnotic drug use associated with trust, social participation, and the miniaturization of community: A multilevel analysis
by Johnell, Kristina & Lindström, Martin & Melander, Arne & Sundquist, Jan & Eriksson, Charli & Merlo, Juan
- 1215-1218 Multi-level modelling in health research: A caution and rejoinder on temporally mismatched data
by Buzzelli, Michael & Su, Jason
- 1219-1228 Experiences of stigma and access to HAART in children and adolescents living with HIV/AIDS in Brazil
by Abadía-Barrero, César Ernesto & Castro, Arachu
- 1229-1236 Healthcare in the New Vietnam: Comparing patients' satisfaction with outpatient care in a traditional neighborhood clinic and a new, western-style clinic in Ho Chi Minh City
by Tat, Sonny & Barr, Donald
- 1237-1249 Views of general practitioners and benzodiazepine users on benzodiazepines: A qualitative analysis
by Parr, Jannette M. & Kavanagh, David J. & Young, Ross McD. & McCafferty, Kelly
- 1250-1259 Explaining the social gradient in smoking in pregnancy: Early life course accumulation and cross-sectional clustering of social risk exposures in the 1958 British national cohort
by Spencer, Nick
- 1260-1277 Domestic violence against women in Egypt--wife beating and health outcomes
by Diop-Sidibé, Nafissatou & Campbell, Jacquelyn C. & Becker, Stan
- 1278-1290 Hyped biomedical science or uncritical reporting? Press coverage of genomics (1992-2001) in Québec
by Racine, Eric & Gareau, Isabelle & Doucet, Hubert & Laudy, Danielle & Jobin, Guy & Schraedley-Desmond, Pamela
- 1291-1303 Neighborhood effects on primary care access in Los Angeles
by Prentice, Julia C.
February 2006, Volume 62, Issue 4
- 793-804 Disciplining the feminine: The reproduction of gender contradictions in the mental health care of women with eating disorders
by Moulding, Nicole
- 805-814 Pathways to suicidal behaviour among adolescent girls in Nicaragua
by Herrera, A. & Dahlblom, K. & Dahlgren, L. & Kullgren, G.
- 815-827 Cross-national variation of gender differences in adolescent subjective health in Europe and North America
by Torsheim, Torbjørn & Ravens-Sieberer, Ulrike & Hetland, Jorn & Välimaa, Raili & Danielson, Mia & Overpeck, Mary
- 828-834 Depression and mental health visits to physicians--a prospective records-based study
by Rhodes, Anne & Liisa Jaakkimainen, R. & Bondy, Susan & Fung, Kinwah
- 835-845 Economic valuation of informal care: Lessons from the application of the opportunity costs and proxy good methods
by van den Berg, Bernard & Brouwer, Werner & van Exel, Job & Koopmanschap, Marc & van den Bos, Geertrudis A.M. & Rutten, Frans
- 846-857 A conceptually based approach to understanding chronically ill patients' responses to medication cost pressures
by Piette, John D. & Heisler, Michele & Horne, Robert & Caleb Alexander, G.
- 858-865 What are the economic consequences for households of illness and of paying for health care in low- and middle-income country contexts?
by McIntyre, Diane & Thiede, Michael & Dahlgren, Göran & Whitehead, Margaret
- 866-876 Understanding the impact of eliminating user fees: Utilization and catastrophic health expenditures in Uganda
by Xu, Ke & Evans, David B. & Kadama, Patrick & Nabyonga, Juliet & Ogwal, Peter Ogwang & Nabukhonzo, Pamela & Aguilar, Ana Mylena
- 877-887 Informal payments in government health facilities in Albania: Results of a qualitative study
by Vian, Taryn & Grybosk, Kristina & Sinoimeri, Zamira & Hall, Rachel
- 888-899 Evaluations of care by adults following a denial of an advertisement-related prescription drug request: The role of expectations, symptom severity, and physician communication style
by Shah, Mansi B. & Bentley, John P. & McCaffrey III, David J.
- 900-908 An implementation intentions intervention, the use of a planning strategy, and physical activity after myocardial infarction
by Luszczynska, Aleksandra
- 909-922 Explaining US racial/ethnic disparities in health declines and mortality in late middle age: The roles of socioeconomic status, health behaviors, and health insurance
by Sudano, Joseph J. & Baker, David W.
- 923-940 A socially neutral disease? Individual social class, household wealth and mortality from Spanish influenza in two socially contrasting parishes in Kristiania 1918-19
by Mamelund, Svenn-Erik
- 941-953 Psychometric and cognitive validation of a social capital measurement tool in Peru and Vietnam
by De Silva, Mary J & Harpham, Trudy & Tuan, Tran & Bartolini, Rosario & Penny, Mary E & Huttly, Sharon R
- 954-963 Low linking social capital as a predictor of coronary heart disease in Sweden: A cohort study of 2.8 million people
by Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Yang, Min & Sundquist, Kristina
- 964-976 What factors induce health care decision-makers to use clinical guidelines? Evidence from provincial health ministries, regional health authorities and hospitals in Canada
by Ouimet, Mathieu & Landry, Réjean & Amara, Nabil & Belkhodja, Omar
- 977-986 Long-run consequences of parental paid work hours for child overweight status in Canada
by Phipps, Shelley A. & Lethbridge, Lynn & Burton, Peter
- 987-997 Contradictory sexual norms and expectations for young people in rural Northern Tanzania
by Wight, Daniel & Plummer, Mary L. & Mshana, Gerry & Wamoyi, Joyce & Shigongo, Zachayo S. & Ross, David A.
- 998-1008 Volunteer human subjects' understandings of their participation in a biomedical research experiment
by Morris, Norma & Bàlmer, Brian
- 1009-1021 Lies, damned lies and statistics? Reliability and personal accounts of smoking among young people
by Mair, Michael & Barlow, Alexandra & Woods, Susan E. & Kierans, Ciara & Milton, Beth & Porcellato, Lorna
- 1022-1030 Technogovernance: Evidence, subjectivity, and the clinical encounter in primary care medicine
by May, Carl & Rapley, Tim & Moreira, Tiago & Finch, Tracy & Heaven, Ben
- 1031-1041 Infertility: Testing a helpseeking model
by White, Lynn & McQuillan, Julia & Greil, Arthur L. & Johnson, David R.
February 2006, Volume 62, Issue 3
- 529-537 Introduction: Patient organization movements and new metamorphoses in patienthood
by Landzelius, Kyra
- 538-551 How to build an "active" patient? The work of AIDS associations in France
by Barbot, Janine
- 552-563 The field of psychiatric contention in the UK, 1960-2000
by Crossley, Nick
- 564-576 From representation to mediation: The shaping of collective mobilization on muscular dystrophy in France
by Rabeharisoa, Vololona
- 577-590 Illnesses you have to fight to get: Facts as forces in uncertain, emergent illnesses
by Dumit, Joseph
- 591-601 "To me, it's my life": Medical communication, trust, and activism in cyberspace
by Radin, Patricia
- 602-613 Pregnancy and infant loss support: A new, feminist, American, patient movement?
by Layne, Linda L.
- 614-627 Contesting contraceptive innovation--Reinventing the script
by Hardon, Anita
- 628-642 Anti-vaccination movements and their interpretations
by Blume, Stuart
- 643-653 Anti-aging medicine: A patient/practitioner movement to redefine aging
by Mykytyn, Courtney Everts
- 654-667 Heroic frames: discursive constructions around the requested death movement in Australia in the late-1990s
by McInerney, Fran
- 668-682 The incubation of a social movement? Preterm babies, parent activists, and neonatal productions in the US context
by Landzelius, Kyra
- 683-693 Viagra's rise above women's health issues: An analysis of the social and political influences on drug approvals in the United States and Japan
by Hollander, Ilyssa
- 694-706 Immunization in india 1993-1999: Wealth, gender, and regional inequalities revisited
by Gaudin, Sylvestre & Yazbeck, Abdo S.
- 707-720 Making health insurance work for the poor: Learning from the Self-Employed Women's Association's (SEWA) community-based health insurance scheme in India
by Kent Ranson, M. & Sinha, Tara & Chatterjee, Mirai & Acharya, Akash & Bhavsar, Ami & Morris, Saul S. & Mills, Anne J.
- 721-730 Conflicts in how interpreters manage their roles in provider-patient interactions
by Hsieh, Elaine
- 731-744 Uncharted ground: Patterns of professional interaction among complementary/alternative and biomedical practitioners in integrative health care settings
by Hollenberg, Daniel
- 745-757 Salience of self-identity roles in persons with dementia: Differences in perceptions among elderly persons, family members and caregivers
by Cohen-Mansfield, Jiska & Parpura-Gill, Aleksandra & Golander, Hava
- 758-768 Nutrition-related health promotion through an after-school project: The responses of children and their families
by Hyland, Rob & Stacy, Rosie & Adamson, Ashley & Moynihan, Paula
- 769-778 Collective efficacy and obesity: The potential influence of social factors on health
by Cohen, Deborah A. & Finch, Brian K. & Bower, Aimee & Sastry, Narayan