Social Science & Medicine
March 2006, Volume 62, Issue 6
- 1457-1464 A comparison of health inequalities in urban and rural Scotland
by Levin, Kate A. & Leyland, Alastair H.
- 1465-1473 Psychosocial and neo-material dimensions of SES and health revisited: Predictors of self-rated health in a Canadian national survey
by Dunn, James R. & Veenstra, Gerry & Ross, Nancy
- 1474-1485 NZiDep: A New Zealand index of socioeconomic deprivation for individuals
by Salmond, Clare & Crampton, Peter & King, Peter & Waldegrave, Charles
- 1498-1509 "We are not completely Westernised": Dual medical systems and pathways to health care among Chinese migrant women in England
by Green, Gill & Bradby, Hannah & Chan, Anita & Lee, Maggie
- 1510-1519 Empirical uncertainty and moral contest: A qualitative analysis of the relationship between medical specialists and the pharmaceutical industry in Australia
by Doran, E. & Kerridge, I. & McNeill, P. & Henry, David
- 1520-1527 "To enrol or not to enrol?": A qualitative investigation of demand for health insurance in rural West Africa
by De Allegri, Manuela & Sanon, Mamadou & Sauerborn, Rainer
- 1528-1540 Attitudes towards patient gender among psychiatric hospital staff: Results of a case study with focus groups
by Krumm, Silvia & Kilian, Reinhold & Becker, Thomas
- 1541-1551 Governance in operating room nursing: Nurses' knowledge of individual surgeons
by Glenda Riley, Robin & Manias, Elizabeth
- 1552-1563 Frequency and determinants of advance directives concerning end-of-life care in The Netherlands
by Rurup, Mette L. & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & van der Heide, Agnes & van der Wal, Gerrit & Deeg, Dorly J.H.
March 2006, Volume 62, Issue 5
- 1045-1065 Gender inequalities in US adult health: The interplay of race and ethnicity
by Read, Jen'nan Ghazal & Gorman, Bridget K.
- 1066-1077 Gender differences in job strain, effort-reward imbalance, and health functioning among Chinese physicians
by Li, Jian & Yang, Wenjie & Cho, Sung-il
- 1078-1090 Health professionals, their medical interventions and uncertainty: A study focusing on women at midlife
by Griffiths, F. & Green, E. & Bendelow, G.
- 1091-1102 Men and women managing coronary artery disease risk: Urban-rural contrasts
by King, Kathryn M. & Thomlinson, Elizabeth & Sanguins, Julianne & LeBlanc, Pamela
- 1103-1114 Access to rural health services: Research as community action and policy critique
by Panelli, Ruth & Gallagher, Lou & Kearns, Robin
- 1115-1125 Negotiating mothering against the odds: Gastrostomy tube feeding, stigma, governmentality and disabled children
by Craig, Gillian M. & Scambler, Graham
- 1126-1137 Trends and racial differences in infant mortality in South Africa
by Burgard, Sarah A. & Treiman, Donald J.
- 1138-1152 An investigation of district spatial variations of childhood diarrhoea and fever morbidity in Malawi
by Kandala, Ngianga-Bakwin & Magadi, Monica Akinyi & Madise, Nyovani Janet
- 1153-1166 Understanding the process of adjustment to illness
by Sharpe, Louise & Curran, Leah
- 1167-1178 'I just want permission to be ill': Towards a sociology of medically unexplained symptoms
by Nettleton, Sarah
- 1179-1191 Retirement and mental health: Analysis of the Australian national survey of mental health and well-being
by Butterworth, Peter & Gill, Sarah C. & Rodgers, Bryan & Anstey, Kaarin J. & Villamil, Elena & Melzer, David
- 1192-1204 Beyond rankings: Using cognitive mapping to understand what health care journals represent
by Shewchuk, Richard M. & O'Connor, Stephen J. & Williams, Eric S. & Savage, Grant T.
- 1205-1214 Anxiolytic-hypnotic drug use associated with trust, social participation, and the miniaturization of community: A multilevel analysis
by Johnell, Kristina & Lindström, Martin & Melander, Arne & Sundquist, Jan & Eriksson, Charli & Merlo, Juan
- 1215-1218 Multi-level modelling in health research: A caution and rejoinder on temporally mismatched data
by Buzzelli, Michael & Su, Jason
- 1219-1228 Experiences of stigma and access to HAART in children and adolescents living with HIV/AIDS in Brazil
by Abadía-Barrero, César Ernesto & Castro, Arachu
- 1229-1236 Healthcare in the New Vietnam: Comparing patients' satisfaction with outpatient care in a traditional neighborhood clinic and a new, western-style clinic in Ho Chi Minh City
by Tat, Sonny & Barr, Donald
- 1237-1249 Views of general practitioners and benzodiazepine users on benzodiazepines: A qualitative analysis
by Parr, Jannette M. & Kavanagh, David J. & Young, Ross McD. & McCafferty, Kelly
- 1250-1259 Explaining the social gradient in smoking in pregnancy: Early life course accumulation and cross-sectional clustering of social risk exposures in the 1958 British national cohort
by Spencer, Nick
- 1260-1277 Domestic violence against women in Egypt--wife beating and health outcomes
by Diop-Sidibé, Nafissatou & Campbell, Jacquelyn C. & Becker, Stan
- 1278-1290 Hyped biomedical science or uncritical reporting? Press coverage of genomics (1992-2001) in Québec
by Racine, Eric & Gareau, Isabelle & Doucet, Hubert & Laudy, Danielle & Jobin, Guy & Schraedley-Desmond, Pamela
- 1291-1303 Neighborhood effects on primary care access in Los Angeles
by Prentice, Julia C.
February 2006, Volume 62, Issue 4
- 793-804 Disciplining the feminine: The reproduction of gender contradictions in the mental health care of women with eating disorders
by Moulding, Nicole
- 805-814 Pathways to suicidal behaviour among adolescent girls in Nicaragua
by Herrera, A. & Dahlblom, K. & Dahlgren, L. & Kullgren, G.
- 815-827 Cross-national variation of gender differences in adolescent subjective health in Europe and North America
by Torsheim, Torbjørn & Ravens-Sieberer, Ulrike & Hetland, Jorn & Välimaa, Raili & Danielson, Mia & Overpeck, Mary
- 828-834 Depression and mental health visits to physicians--a prospective records-based study
by Rhodes, Anne & Liisa Jaakkimainen, R. & Bondy, Susan & Fung, Kinwah
- 835-845 Economic valuation of informal care: Lessons from the application of the opportunity costs and proxy good methods
by van den Berg, Bernard & Brouwer, Werner & van Exel, Job & Koopmanschap, Marc & van den Bos, Geertrudis A.M. & Rutten, Frans
- 846-857 A conceptually based approach to understanding chronically ill patients' responses to medication cost pressures
by Piette, John D. & Heisler, Michele & Horne, Robert & Caleb Alexander, G.
- 858-865 What are the economic consequences for households of illness and of paying for health care in low- and middle-income country contexts?
by McIntyre, Diane & Thiede, Michael & Dahlgren, Göran & Whitehead, Margaret
- 866-876 Understanding the impact of eliminating user fees: Utilization and catastrophic health expenditures in Uganda
by Xu, Ke & Evans, David B. & Kadama, Patrick & Nabyonga, Juliet & Ogwal, Peter Ogwang & Nabukhonzo, Pamela & Aguilar, Ana Mylena
- 877-887 Informal payments in government health facilities in Albania: Results of a qualitative study
by Vian, Taryn & Grybosk, Kristina & Sinoimeri, Zamira & Hall, Rachel
- 888-899 Evaluations of care by adults following a denial of an advertisement-related prescription drug request: The role of expectations, symptom severity, and physician communication style
by Shah, Mansi B. & Bentley, John P. & McCaffrey III, David J.
- 900-908 An implementation intentions intervention, the use of a planning strategy, and physical activity after myocardial infarction
by Luszczynska, Aleksandra
- 909-922 Explaining US racial/ethnic disparities in health declines and mortality in late middle age: The roles of socioeconomic status, health behaviors, and health insurance
by Sudano, Joseph J. & Baker, David W.
- 923-940 A socially neutral disease? Individual social class, household wealth and mortality from Spanish influenza in two socially contrasting parishes in Kristiania 1918-19
by Mamelund, Svenn-Erik
- 941-953 Psychometric and cognitive validation of a social capital measurement tool in Peru and Vietnam
by De Silva, Mary J & Harpham, Trudy & Tuan, Tran & Bartolini, Rosario & Penny, Mary E & Huttly, Sharon R
- 954-963 Low linking social capital as a predictor of coronary heart disease in Sweden: A cohort study of 2.8 million people
by Sundquist, Jan & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Yang, Min & Sundquist, Kristina
- 964-976 What factors induce health care decision-makers to use clinical guidelines? Evidence from provincial health ministries, regional health authorities and hospitals in Canada
by Ouimet, Mathieu & Landry, Réjean & Amara, Nabil & Belkhodja, Omar
- 977-986 Long-run consequences of parental paid work hours for child overweight status in Canada
by Phipps, Shelley A. & Lethbridge, Lynn & Burton, Peter
- 987-997 Contradictory sexual norms and expectations for young people in rural Northern Tanzania
by Wight, Daniel & Plummer, Mary L. & Mshana, Gerry & Wamoyi, Joyce & Shigongo, Zachayo S. & Ross, David A.
- 998-1008 Volunteer human subjects' understandings of their participation in a biomedical research experiment
by Morris, Norma & Bàlmer, Brian
- 1009-1021 Lies, damned lies and statistics? Reliability and personal accounts of smoking among young people
by Mair, Michael & Barlow, Alexandra & Woods, Susan E. & Kierans, Ciara & Milton, Beth & Porcellato, Lorna
- 1022-1030 Technogovernance: Evidence, subjectivity, and the clinical encounter in primary care medicine
by May, Carl & Rapley, Tim & Moreira, Tiago & Finch, Tracy & Heaven, Ben
- 1031-1041 Infertility: Testing a helpseeking model
by White, Lynn & McQuillan, Julia & Greil, Arthur L. & Johnson, David R.
February 2006, Volume 62, Issue 3
- 529-537 Introduction: Patient organization movements and new metamorphoses in patienthood
by Landzelius, Kyra
- 538-551 How to build an "active" patient? The work of AIDS associations in France
by Barbot, Janine
- 552-563 The field of psychiatric contention in the UK, 1960-2000
by Crossley, Nick
- 564-576 From representation to mediation: The shaping of collective mobilization on muscular dystrophy in France
by Rabeharisoa, Vololona
- 577-590 Illnesses you have to fight to get: Facts as forces in uncertain, emergent illnesses
by Dumit, Joseph
- 591-601 "To me, it's my life": Medical communication, trust, and activism in cyberspace
by Radin, Patricia
- 602-613 Pregnancy and infant loss support: A new, feminist, American, patient movement?
by Layne, Linda L.
- 614-627 Contesting contraceptive innovation--Reinventing the script
by Hardon, Anita
- 628-642 Anti-vaccination movements and their interpretations
by Blume, Stuart
- 643-653 Anti-aging medicine: A patient/practitioner movement to redefine aging
by Mykytyn, Courtney Everts
- 654-667 Heroic frames: discursive constructions around the requested death movement in Australia in the late-1990s
by McInerney, Fran
- 668-682 The incubation of a social movement? Preterm babies, parent activists, and neonatal productions in the US context
by Landzelius, Kyra
- 683-693 Viagra's rise above women's health issues: An analysis of the social and political influences on drug approvals in the United States and Japan
by Hollander, Ilyssa
- 694-706 Immunization in india 1993-1999: Wealth, gender, and regional inequalities revisited
by Gaudin, Sylvestre & Yazbeck, Abdo S.
- 707-720 Making health insurance work for the poor: Learning from the Self-Employed Women's Association's (SEWA) community-based health insurance scheme in India
by Kent Ranson, M. & Sinha, Tara & Chatterjee, Mirai & Acharya, Akash & Bhavsar, Ami & Morris, Saul S. & Mills, Anne J.
- 721-730 Conflicts in how interpreters manage their roles in provider-patient interactions
by Hsieh, Elaine
- 731-744 Uncharted ground: Patterns of professional interaction among complementary/alternative and biomedical practitioners in integrative health care settings
by Hollenberg, Daniel
- 745-757 Salience of self-identity roles in persons with dementia: Differences in perceptions among elderly persons, family members and caregivers
by Cohen-Mansfield, Jiska & Parpura-Gill, Aleksandra & Golander, Hava
- 758-768 Nutrition-related health promotion through an after-school project: The responses of children and their families
by Hyland, Rob & Stacy, Rosie & Adamson, Ashley & Moynihan, Paula
- 769-778 Collective efficacy and obesity: The potential influence of social factors on health
by Cohen, Deborah A. & Finch, Brian K. & Bower, Aimee & Sastry, Narayan
- 779-791 Further examination of the cross-country association between income inequality and population health
by Ram, Rati
January 2006, Volume 62, Issue 2
- 269-279 The voices of older women in a disadvantaged community: Issues of health and social capital
by Boneham, Margaret Anne & Sixsmith, Judith A
- 280-291 Psychosocial work conditions, social participation and social capital: A causal pathway investigated in a longitudinal study
by Lindström, Martin
- 292-302 Social capital: An individual or collective resource for health?
by Poortinga, Wouter
- 303-316 Racial, ethnic, and gender differences in smoking cessation associated with employment and joblessness through young adulthood in the US
by Weden, Margaret M & Astone, Nan M & Bishai, David
- 317-328 What accounts for the relationship between social class and smoking cessation? Results of a path analysis
by Honjo, Kaori & Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kawachi, Ichiro & Kawakami, Norito
- 329-336 Life-course influences on mortality at older ages: Evidence from the Oslo Mortality Study
by Næss, Øyvind & Hernes, Frank H. & Blane, David
- 337-347 Regional and racial disparities in breast cancer-specific mortality
by Grann, Victor & Troxel, Andrea B. & Zojwalla, Naseem & Hershman, Dawn & Glied, Sherry A. & Jacobson, Judith S.
- 348-359 US-based indices of area-level deprivation: Results from HealthCare for Communities
by Eibner, Christine & Sturm, Roland
- 360-374 Gender imbalance in infant mortality: A cross-national study of social structure and female infanticide
by Fuse, Kana & Crenshaw, Edward M.
- 375-386 Determinants of child morbidity in Latin America: A pooled analysis of interactions between parental education and economic status
by Hatt, Laurel E. & Waters, Hugh R.
- 387-395 Barriers to healthy eating amongst men: A qualitative analysis
by Gough, Brendan & Conner, Mark T.
- 396-406 Young teenagers' perceptions of their own and others' bodies: A qualitative study of obese, overweight and 'normal' weight young people in Scotland
by Wills, Wendy & Backett-Milburn, Kathryn & Gregory, Susan & Lawton, Julia
- 407-421 Weighing in primary-care nurse-patient interactions
by Pillet-Shore, Danielle
- 422-432 Studying physician effects on patient outcomes: Physician interactional style and performance on quality of care indicators
by Franks, Peter & F Jerant, Anthony & Fiscella, Kevin & G Shields, Cleveland & J Tancredi, Daniel & M Epstein, Ronald
- 433-443 'Between the demands of truth and government': Health practitioners, trust and immunisation work
by Brownlie, Julie & Howson, Alexandra
- 444-456 Perceived HIV stigma in AIDS caregiving dyads
by Wight, Richard G. & Aneshensel, Carol S. & Murphy, Debra A. & Miller-Martinez, Dana & Beals, Kristin P.
- 457-466 Representations of mad cow disease
by Washer, Peter
- 467-478 Explaining educational-related inequalities in health: Mediation and moderator models
by Thrane, Christer
- 479-490 Cross-cultural perspectives on research participation and informed consent
by Barata, Paula C. & Gucciardi, Enza & Ahmad, Farah & Stewart, Donna E.
- 491-498 The healthy migrant theory: Variations in pregnancy outcomes among US-born migrants
by Wingate, Martha S & Alexander, Greg R
- 499-509 Which surgical decisions should patients participate in and how? Reflections on women's recollections of discussions about variants of hysterectomy
by Entwistle, Vikki & Williams, Brian & Skea, Zoe & MacLennan, Graeme & Bhattacharya, Siladitya
- 510-522 Psychosocial stress and social support as mediators of relationships between income, length of residence and depressive symptoms among African American women on Detroit's eastside
by Schulz, Amy J. & Israel, Barbara A. & Zenk, Shannon N. & Parker, Edith A. & Lichtenstein, Richard & Shellman-Weir, Sheryl & A.B., Laura Klem
January 2006, Volume 62, Issue 1
- 1-12 Pathways to youth homelessness
by Martijn, Claudine & Sharpe, Louise
- 13-27 The effect of lifetime victimization on the mental health of children and adolescents
by Turner, Heather A. & Finkelhor, David & Ormrod, Richard
- 28-38 Patients, consumers and survivors: A case study of mental health service user discourses
by Speed, Ewen
- 39-49 Social support modifies perceived stigmatization in the first years of mental illness: A longitudinal approach
by Mueller, Brigitte & Nordt, Carlos & Lauber, Christoph & Rueesch, Peter & Meyer, Peter C. & Roessler, Wulf
- 50-58 Social determinants of diagnostic labels in depression
by McPherson, Susan & Armstrong, David
- 59-69 Mothers on the margins: Implications for eradicating perinatal HIV
by Lindau, Stacy Tessler & Jerome, Jessica & Miller, Kate & Monk, Elizabeth & Garcia, Patricia & Cohen, Mardge
- 70-80 Trustful bonds: A key to "becoming a mother" and to reciprocal breastfeeding. Stories of mothers of very preterm infants at a neonatal unit
by Flacking, Renée & Ewald, Uwe & Nyqvist, Kerstin Hedberg & Starrin, Bengt
- 81-92 'She would help me from the heart': An ethnography of Egyptian women in labour
by El-Nemer, Amina & Downe, Soo & Small, Neil
- 93-102 Perceived change in quality of life during the menopause
by Mishra, Gita & Kuh, Diana
- 103-115 Patient characteristics and inequalities in doctors' diagnostic and management strategies relating to CHD: A video-simulation experiment
by Arber, Sara & McKinlay, John & Adams, Ann & Marceau, Lisa & Link, Carol & O'Donnell, Amy
- 116-124 Patient-doctor decision-making about treatment within the consultation--A critical analysis of models
by Wirtz, Veronika & Cribb, Alan & Barber, Nick
- 125-133 Patients' and healthcare providers' understandings of life-sustaining treatment: Are perceptions of goals shared or divergent?
by Rodriguez, Keri L. & Young, Amanda J.
- 134-144 Narrativizing errors of care: Critical incident reporting in clinical practice
by Iedema, Rick & Flabouris, Arthas & Grant, Susan & Jorm, Christine
- 145-156 Cross-district utilization of general hospital care in Nova Scotia: Policy and service delivery implications for rural districts
by Hanlon, Neil & Skedgel, Chris
- 157-164 Religion and survival in a secular region. A twenty year follow-up of 734 Danish adults born in 1914
by la Cour, Peter & Avlund, Kirsten & Schultz-Larsen, Kirsten
- 165-175 Toward a neighborhood resource-based theory of social capital for health: Can Bourdieu and sociology help?
by Carpiano, Richard M.
- 176-188 Social and psychological resources and health outcomes after the World Trade Center disaster
by Adams, Richard E. & Boscarino, Joseph A. & Galea, Sandro
- 189-198 Aging and eating in the rural, southern United States: Beliefs about salt and its effect on health
by Smith, Shannon L. & Quandt, Sara A. & Arcury, Thomas A. & Wetmore, Lindsay K. & Bell, Ronny A. & Vitolins, Mara Z.
- 199-207 The palliative care in assisted living (PCAL) pilot study: Successes, shortfalls, and methodological implications
by Jerant, Anthony F. & Azari, Rahman S. & Nesbitt, Thomas S. & Edwards-Goodbee, Adrienne & Meyers, Frederick J.
- 208-216 Coping strategies as predictors of psychosocial adaptation in a sample of elderly veterans with acquired lower limb amputations
by Desmond, Deirdre M. & MacLachlan, Malcolm
- 217-227 Alcohol use and sexual behaviour among risky drinkers and bar and shebeen patrons in Gauteng province, South Africa
by Morojele, Neo K. & Kachieng'a, Millicent A. & Mokoko, Evodia & Nkoko, Matsobane A. & Parry, Charles D.H. & Nkowane, Annette M. & Moshia, Kgaogelo M. & Saxena, Shekhar
- 228-238 Health world views of post-soviet citizens
by Abbott, Pamela A & Turmov, Sergei & Wallace, Claire
- 239-253 Therapeutic misconception in early phase gene transfer trials
by Henderson, Gail E. & Easter, Michele M. & Zimmer, Catherine & King, Nancy M.P. & Davis, Arlene M. & Rothschild, Barbra Bluestone & Churchill, Larry R. & Wilfond, Benjamin S. & Nelson, Daniel K.
- 254-266 Estimating clandestine abortion with the confidants method--results from Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
by Rossier, Clémentine & Guiella, George & Ouédraogo, Abdoulaye & Thiéba, Blandine
December 2005, Volume 61, Issue 12
- 2469-2481 Is migration to Canada associated with unhealthy weight gain? Overweight and obesity among Canada's immigrants
by McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven
- 2482-2491 A narrative approach to understanding the nursing work environment in Canada
by McGillis Hall, Linda & Kiesners, Diana
- 2492-2500 Physician migration: Views from professionals in Colombia, Nigeria, India, Pakistan and the Philippines
by Astor, Avraham & Akhtar, Tasleem & Matallana, María Alexandra & Muthuswamy, Vasantha & Olowu, Folarin A. & Tallo, Veronica & Lie, Reidar K.
- 2501-2512 Combined effects of uncertainty and organizational justice on employee health: Testing the uncertainty management model of fairness judgments among Finnish public sector employees
by Elovainio, Marko & van den Bos, Kees & Linna, Anne & Kivimäki, Mika & Ala-Mursula, Leena & Pentti, Jaana & Vahtera, Jussi
- 2513-2520 Intragenerational mobility and mortality in Oslo: Social selection versus social causation
by Claussen, Bjorgulf & Smits, Jeroen & Naess, Oyvind & Davey Smith, George
- 2521-2527 Health status among young people in Slovakia: comparisons on the basis of age, gender and education
by Sleskova, Maria & Salonna, Ferdinand & Madarasova Geckova, Andrea & van Dijk, Jitse P. & Groothoff, Johan W.
- 2528-2535 Barriers to cervical cancer screening: A qualitative study with women in Serbia
by Markovic, Milica & Kesic, Vesna & Topic, Lidija & Matejic, Bojana
- 2536-2545 Ruling in and ruling out: Implications of molecular genetic diagnoses for disease classification
by Miller, Fiona Alice & Ahern, Catherine & Ogilvie, Jacqueline & Giacomini, Mita & Schwartz, Lisa
- 2546-2556 Psychiatrists as social engineers: A study of an anti-stigma campaign
by Pilgrim, David & Rogers, Anne E.
- 2557-2567 Spousal influence on smoking behaviors in a US community sample of newly married couples
by Homish, Gregory G. & Leonard, Kenneth E.
- 2568-2576 Income inequality, poverty, and population health: Evidence from recent data for the United States
by Ram, Rati
- 2577-2587 Community-based participatory research (CBPR) in South Africa: Engaging multiple constituents to shape the research question
by Mosavel, Maghboeba & Simon, Christian & van Stade, Debbie & Buchbinder, Mara
- 2588-2599 The focus group method: Insights from focus group interviews on sexual health with adolescents
by Hyde, Abbey & Howlett, Etaoine & Brady, Dympna & Drennan, Jonathan
- 2600-2610 Retrofitting houses with insulation to reduce health inequalities: Aims and methods of a clustered, randomised community-based trial
by Howden-Chapman, P. & Crane, J. & Matheson, A. & Viggers, H. & Cunningham, M. & Blakely, T. & O'Dea, D. & Cunningham, C. & Woodward, A. & Saville-Smith, K. & Baker, M. & Waipara, N.
- 2611-2627 'Unilateral' and 'bilateral' practitioner approaches in decision-making about treatment
by Collins, Sarah & Drew, Paul & Watt, Ian & Entwistle, Vikki
- 2628-2638 "When the obvious brother is not there": Political and cultural contexts of the orphan challenge in northern Uganda
by Oleke, Christopher & Blystad, Astrid & Rekdal, Ole Bjørn
- 2639-2657 State health policy making determinants, theory, and methods: A synthesis
by Edward Alan Miller
December 2005, Volume 61, Issue 11
- 2269-2271 Characterizing the scope of socialization and its impact on health: A commentary on Singh-Manoux and Marmot's "Role of socialization in explaining social inequalities in health" (60: 9, 2005, 2129-2133)
by Siegal, Michael & Aboud, Frances
- 2272-2276 Early childhood socialization and social gradients in adult health: A commentary on Singh-Manoux and Marmot's "Role of socialization in explaining social inequalities in health" (60: 9, 2005, 2129-2133)
by Kendall, Garth E. & Li, Jianghong
- 2277-2279 Socialization & health inequalities: Some clarifications. A reply to Kendall & Li, and Siegal & Aboud
by Singh-Manoux, Archana
- 2280-2292 Depression in the United States and Japan: Gender, marital status, and SES patterns
by Inaba, Akihide & Thoits, Peggy A. & Ueno, Koji & Gove, Walter R. & Evenson, Ranae J. & Sloan, Melissa
- 2293-2303 Marital transitions and mental health: Are there gender differences in the short-term effects of marital status change?
by Strohschein, Lisa & McDonough, Peggy & Monette, Georges & Shao, Qing
- 2304-2316 Heavy alcohol use and marital dissolution in the USA
by Ostermann, Jan & Sloan, Frank A. & Taylor, Donald H.
- 2317-2330 Gender role orientations and alcohol use among Moscow and Toronto adults
by Van Gundy, Karen & Schieman, Scott & Kelley, Margaret S. & Rebellon, Cesar J.
- 2331-2344 What makes things happen? An analysis of the development of nine health-promoting measures aimed at children and adolescents in three Swedish municipalities
by Guldbrandsson, Karin & Bremberg, Sven & Bäck, Henry
- 2345-2354 Socio-economic influences on self-rated health in Russian men and women--a life course approach
by Nicholson, Amanda & Bobak, Martin & Murphy, Michael & Rose, Richard & Marmot, Michael
- 2355-2362 Priority setting in hospitals: Fairness, inclusiveness, and the problem of institutional power differences
by Gibson, Jennifer L. & Martin, Douglas K. & Singer, Peter A.
- 2363-2373 "Unless you went in with your head under your arm": Patient perceptions of emergency room visits
by Wellstood, Katie & Wilson, Kathi & Eyles, John
- 2374-2383 Calls to a home birth helpline: Empowerment in childbirth
by Shaw, Rebecca & Kitzinger, Celia
- 2384-2395 Beliefs about treatment of mental health problems among Cambodian American children and parents
by Daley, Tamara C.
- 2396-2406 Challenges and changes in spirituality among doctors who become patients
by Klitzman, Robert L. & Daya, Shaira
- 2407-2422 A longitudinal assessment of inter-sectoral participation in a community-based diabetes prevention programme
by Andersson, Camilla Maria & Bjärås, Gunilla & Tillgren, Per & Östenson, Claes-Göran
- 2423-2433 Pediatric adherence: Perspectives of mothers of children with HIV
by Wrubel, Judith & Tedlie Moskowitz, Judith & Anne Richards, T. & Prakke, Heleen & Acree, Michael & Folkman, Susan
- 2434-2445 Achieving social change on gender-based violence: A report on the impact evaluation of Soul City's fourth series
by Usdin, S. & Scheepers, E. & Goldstein, Susan & Japhet, Garth
- 2446-2459 Achieving the 'good life': Why some people want latrines in rural Benin
by Jenkins, Marion W. & Curtis, Val
- 2460-2465 Sociodemographic and attitudinal correlates of cervical screening uptake in a national sample of women in Britain
by Sutton, Stephen & Rutherford, Celia
November 2005, Volume 61, Issue 10
- 2065-2083 Local neighbourhood and mental health: Evidence from the UK
by Propper, Carol & Jones, Kelvyn & Bolster, Anne & Burgess, Simon & Johnston, Ron & Sarker, Rebecca
- 2084-2095 Mental health and hostility as predictors of temporary employment: Evidence from two prospective studies
by Virtanen, Marianna & Kivimäki, Mika & Elovainio, Marko & Vahtera, Jussi & Kokko, Katja & Pulkkinen, Lea
- 2096-2105 A census-based socio-economic status (SES) index as a tool to examine the relationship between mental health services use and deprivation
by Tello, Juan Eduardo & Jones, Julia & Bonizzato, Paola & Mazzi, Mariangela & Amaddeo, Francesco & Tansella, Michele
- 2106-2118 The poor have become rich, and the rich have become poor: Collective trauma in the Guinean Languette
by Abramowitz, Sharon A.
- 2119-2131 Health implications of access to social capital: findings from an Australian study
by Ziersch, Anna M.
- 2132-2143 The role of constructed meaning in adaptation to the onset of life-threatening illness
by Fife, Betsy L.
- 2144-2154 Consequences of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic heart failure: The relationship between objective and subjective health
by Arnold, Rosemarie & Ranchor, Adelita V. & Koëter, Gerard H. & de Jongste, Mike J.L. & Sanderman, Robbert
- 2155-2164 Contesting stigma and contested emotions: Personal experience and public perception of specific phobias
by Davidson, Joyce
- 2165-2176 Sedentarization and children's health: Changing discourses in the northeast Badia of Jordan
by Spicer, Neil J.
- 2177-2189 Longevity following the experience of parental divorce
by Martin, Leslie R. & Friedman, Howard S. & Clark, Kathleen M. & Tucker, Joan S.
- 2190-2200 The social trajectory of illness: Autism in the ultraorthodox community in Israel
by Shaked, Michal
- 2201-2211 Social implications of arsenic poisoning in Bangladesh
by Hassan, M. Manzurul & Atkins, Peter J. & Dunn, Christine E.
- 2212-2220 What causes sustainable changes in hygiene behaviour? A cross-sectional study from Kerala, India
by Cairncross, Sandy & Shordt, Kathleen & Zacharia, Suma & Govindan, Beena Kumari
- 2221-2232 Health selection in a 14-year follow-up study--A question of gendered discrimination?
by Hammarström, Anne & Janlert, Urban
- 2233-2251 Widening ethnic mortality disparities in New Zealand 1981-99
by Blakely, Tony & Tobias, Martin & Robson, Bridget & Ajwani, Shilpi & Bonné, Martin & Woodward, Alistair
- 2252-2264 Information giving and decision-making in patients with advanced cancer: A systematic review
by Gaston, Christine M. & Mitchell, Geoffrey
November 2005, Volume 61, Issue 9
- 1867-1881 Working in London hospitals: Perceptions of place in nursing students' employment considerations
by Brodie, David A. & Andrews, Gavin J. & Andrews, Justin P. & Thomas, B. Gail & Wong, Josephine & Rixon, Lorna
- 1882-1892 Digging deep: Using diary techniques to explore the place of health and well-being amongst older people
by Milligan, Christine & Bingley, Amanda & Gatrell, Anthony
- 1893-1904 Place, policy and practitioners: On rehabilitation, independence and the therapeutic landscape in the changing geography of care provision to older people in the UK
by Martin, Graham P. & Nancarrow, Susan A. & Parker, Hilda & Phelps, Kay & Regen, Emma L.
- 1905-1915 Relationships between child, family and neighbourhood characteristics and childhood injury: A cohort study
by Kendrick, Denise & Mulvaney, Caroline & Burton, Paul & Watson, Michael
- 1916-1929 Is subjective social status a more important determinant of health than objective social status? Evidence from a prospective observational study of Scottish men
by Macleod, John & Davey Smith, George & Metcalfe, Chris & Hart, Carole
- 1930-1943 Interorganizational collaboration for health care between nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in Pakistan
by Gulzar, Laila & Henry, Beverly
- 1944-1951 The use of direct clinician observation and vignettes for health services quality evaluation in developing countries
by Leonard, Kenneth L. & Masatu, Melkiory C.
- 1952-1957 Monitoring cause-specific adult mortality in developing countries: A comparison of data sources for Addis Ababa and its implications for policy and research
by Reniers, Georges & Araya, Tekebash & Schaap, Ab & Kumie, Abera & Kebede, Derege & Nagelkerke, Nico & Coutinho, Roel & Sanders, Eduard J.
- 1958-1970 Creating demand for sanitation and hygiene through Community Health Clubs: A cost-effective intervention in two districts in Zimbabwe
by Waterkeyn, Juliet & Cairncross, Sandy
- 1971-1982 Food insufficiency and women's mental health: Findings from a 3-year panel of welfare recipients
by Heflin, Colleen M. & Siefert, Kristine & Williams, David R.
- 1983-1992 Women as moral pioneers? Experiences of first trimester antenatal screening
by Williams, Clare & Sandall, Jane & Lewando-Hundt, Gillian & Heyman, Bob & Spencer, Kevin & Grellier, Rachel
- 1993-2006 Can women's autonomy impede male involvement in pregnancy health in Katmandu, Nepal?
by Mullany, Britta C. & Hindin, Michelle J. & Becker, Stan
- 2007-2017 Social capital in settings with a high concentration of road traffic injuries. The case of Cuernavaca, Mexico
by Inclán, Cristina & Hijar, Martha & Tovar, Victor
- 2018-2026 The income-associated burden of disease in the United States
by Muennig, Peter & Franks, Peter & Jia, Haomiao & Lubetkin, Erica & Gold, Marthe R
- 2027-2037 Safe asleep? Human-machine relations in medical practice
by Mort, Maggie & Goodwin, Dawn & Smith, Andrew F & Pope, Catherine
- 2038-2046 The experience of SARS-related stigma at Amoy Gardens
by Lee, Sing & Chan, Lydia Y.Y. & Chau, Annie M.Y. & Kwok, Kathleen P.S. & Kleinman, Arthur
October 2005, Volume 61, Issue 8
- 1629-1639 Using hormone treatment to reduce the adult height of tall girls: Are women satisfied with the decision in later years?
by Pyett, Priscilla & Rayner, Jo & Venn, Alison & Bruinsma, Fiona & Werther, George & Lumley, Judith
- 1640-1648 Speaking of women's 'nameless misery': The everyday construction of depression in Australian women's magazines
by Gattuso, Suzy & Fullagar, Simone & Young, Ilena
- 1649-1657 Research use in children's mental health policy in Canada: Maintaining vigilance amid ambiguity
by Waddell, Charlotte & Lavis, John N. & Abelson, Julia & Lomas, Jonathan & Shepherd, Cody A. & Bird-Gayson, Twylla & Giacomini, Mita & (Dan) Offord, David R.
- 1658-1667 Alcohol dependence and depression among heavy drinkers in Canada
by Lukassen, Jennifer & Beaudet, Marie P.
- 1668-1677 Psychiatric "survivors" and testimonies of self-harm
by Cresswell, Mark
- 1678-1688 Fear of crime, mobility and mental health in inner-city London, UK
by Whitley, Rob & Prince, Martin
- 1689-1700 From mandatory to voluntary testing: Balancing human rights, religious and cultural values, and HIV/AIDS prevention in Ghana
by Luginaah, Isaac N. & Yiridoe, Emmanuel K. & Taabazuing, Mary-Margaret
- 1701-1710 Listening to those on the frontline: Lessons for community-based tuberculosis programmes from a qualitative study in Swaziland
by Escott, Sarah & Walley, John
- 1711-1722 The potential of schoolchildren as health change agents in rural western Kenya
by Onyango-Ouma, W. & Aagaard-Hansen, J. & Jensen, B.B.
- 1723-1732 A comparison of attitudes towards end-of-life decisions: Survey among the Dutch general public and physicians
by Rietjens, Judith A.C. & van der Heide, Agnes & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & van der Maas, Paul J. & van der Wal, Gerrit
- 1733-1740 The medicine user--Lost in translation?: Analysis of the official political debate prior to the deregulation of the Danish medicine distribution system
by Noerreslet, Mikkel & Larsen, Jakob B. & Traulsen, Janine M.
- 1741-1749 Conflicting notions of research ethics: The mutually challenging traditions of social scientists and medical researchers
by Hoeyer, Klaus & Dahlager, Lisa & Lynöe, Niels
- 1750-1760 The flight of physicians from West Africa: Views of African physicians and implications for policy
by Hagopian, Amy & Ofosu, Anthony & Fatusi, Adesegun & Biritwum, Richard & Essel, Ama & Gary Hart, L. & Watts, Carolyn