Social Science & Medicine
2003, Volume 56, Issue 1
- 41-52 Adolescent smoking and family structure in Europe
by Griesbach, Dawn & Amos, Amanda & Currie, Candace
- 67-81 The clinical governance of the soul: 'deep management' and the self-regulating subject in integrated community mental health teams
by Brown, Brian & Crawford, Paul
- 83-94 Eliciting the smoker's agenda: implications for policy and practice
by McKie, L. & Laurier, E. & Taylor, R. J. & Lennox, A. S.
- 95-109 Judging the quality of care at the end of life: can proxies provide reliable information?
by McPherson, C. J. & Addington-Hall, J. M.
- 111-124 Women, international migration and self-reported health. A population-based study of women of reproductive age
by Iglesias, Edgar & Robertson, Eva & Johansson, Sven-Erik & Engfeldt, Peter & Sundquist, Jan
- 125-134 Gender inequalities, intimate partner violence and HIV preventive practices: findings of a South African cross-sectional study
by Jewkes, Rachel K. & Levin, Jonathan B. & Penn-Kekana, Loveday A.
- 135-147 Children and adolescents who sell sex: a community study
by Pedersen, Willy & Hegna, Kristinn
- 149-165 Unsafe sexual behaviour in South African youth
by Eaton, Liberty & Flisher, Alan J. & Aarø, Leif E.
- 167-178 Unplanned childbearing in Kenya: the socio-demographic correlates and the extent of repeatability among women
by Magadi, Monica Akinyi
- 179-191 Women's health and the internet: understanding emerging trends and implications
by Pandey, Sanjay K. & Hart, John J. & Tiwary, Sheela
- 193-202 Depression as a predictor of return to work in patients with coronary artery disease
by Söderman, Eva & Lisspers, Jan & Sundin, Örjan
2002, Volume 55, Issue 12
- 2083-2092 Income inequality, residential poverty clustering and infant mortality: a study in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
by Szwarcwald, Célia Landmann & Andrade, Carla Lourenço Tavares de & Bastos, Francisco Inácio
- 2093-2105 Puerto Rican understandings of child disability: methods for the cultural validation of standardized measures of child health
by Gannotti, Mary E. & Handwerker, W. Penn
- 2107-2119 Birth spacing, sibling rivalry and child mortality in India
by Whitworth, Alison & Stephenson, Rob
- 2121-2130 Investigating starting-point bias: a survey of willingness to pay for insecticide-treated nets
by Onwujekwe, Obinna & Nwagbo, Douglas
- 2131-2140 Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and hopelessness: psychosocial factors
by Plahuta, Janice M. & McCulloch, B. Jan & Kasarskis, Edward J. & Ross, Mark A. & Walter, Rhoda A. & McDonald, Evelyn R.
- 2141-2148 Perceptions of philosophic and practice differences between US osteopathic physicians and their allopathic counterparts
by Johnson, Shirley M. & Kurtz, Margot E.
- 2149-2158 The role of adaptation to disability and disease in health state valuation: a preliminary normative analysis
by Menzel, Paul & Dolan, Paul & Richardson, Jeff & Olsen, Jan Abel
- 2159-2169 The impact of the changing marital structure on fertility of Hong Kong SAR (Special Administrative Region)
by Yip, Paul S. F. & Lee, Joseph
- 2171-2175 Differences in low-birthweight among documented and undocumented foreign-born and US-born Latinas
by Kelaher, Margaret & Jessop, Dorothy Jones
- 2177-2188 Determinants of and inequalities in self-perceived health in Ukraine
by Gilmore, Anna B. C. & McKee, Martin & Rose, Richard
- 2189-2191 Drawing lines in the sand: the boundaries of the HIV pandemic in perspective
by Shapiro, Roger L.
- 2193-2200 From retreat to health centre: legislation, commercial opportunity and the repositioning of a Victorian private asylum
by Joseph, Alun E. & Moon, Graham
- 2201-2213 Catching waves: the historical geography of the general practice fundholding initiative in England and Wales
by Moon, Graham & Mohan, John & Twigg, Liz & McGrath, Kevin & Pollock, Allyson
- 2215-2226 Strategies to improve adherence to recommended chloroquine treatment regimes: a quasi-experiment in the context of integrated primary health care delivery in Ghana
by Agyepong, Irene Akua & Ansah, Evelyn & Gyapong, Margaret & Adjei, Sam & Barnish, Guy & Evans, David
- 2227-2241 The social and psychological impact of the chemical contamination incident in Weston Village, UK: a qualitative analysis
by Barnes, Geoffrey & Baxter, Jamie & Litva, Andrea & Staples, Brian
- 2243-2252 Race/ethnicity and depressive symptoms: a cross-cultural/ethnic comparison among university students in East Asia, North and South America
by Iwata, Noboru & Buka, Stephen
- 2253-2265 Health care reform in Russia: a survey of head doctors and insurance administrators
by Twigg, Judyth L.
- 2267-2282 Using the DATCAP and ASI to estimate the costs and benefits of residential addiction treatment in the State of Washington
by French, Michael T. & Salomé, Helena J. & Carney, Molly
2002, Volume 55, Issue 11
- 1891-1904 Cultural correlates of youth suicide
by Eckersley, Richard & Dear, Keith
- 1905-1921 The contribution of medical care to changing life expectancy in Germany and Poland
by Nolte, Ellen & Scholz, Rembrandt & Shkolnikov, Vladimir & McKee, Martin
- 1923-1928 On the measurement of relative and absolute income-related health inequality
by Clarke, Philip M. & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Johannesson, Magnus & Bingefors, Kerstin & Smith, Len
- 1929-1946 Economic role of solidarity and social capital in accessing modern health care services in the Ivory Coast
by Ayé, Marcellin & Champagne, François & Contandriopoulos, André-Pierre
- 1947-1955 Qualitative differences among cancer clinical trial explanations
by Roberts, Felicia
- 1957-1973 Lifetime risk factors for women's psychological distress in midlife
by Kuh, Diana & Hardy, Rebecca & Rodgers, Bryan & Wadsworth, Michael E. J.
- 1975-1988 Change in psychological and vasomotor symptom reporting during the menopause
by Hardy, Rebecca & Kuh, Diana
- 1989-2004 Childhood and adulthood risk factors for socio-economic differentials in psychological distress: evidence from the 1958 British birth cohort
by Power, C. & Stansfeld, S. A. & Matthews, S. & Manor, O. & Hope, S.
- 2005-2016 Building an inter-disciplinary science of health inequalities: the example of lifecourse research
by Graham, Hilary
- 2017-2031 Exploring the determinants of health for First Nations peoples in Canada: can existing frameworks accommodate traditional activities?
by Wilson, Kathleen & Rosenberg, Mark W.
- 2033-2052 Unemployment and health: contextual-level influences on the production of health in populations
by Béland, Francois & Birch, Stephen & Stoddart, Greg
- 2053-2060 SWAp dynamics in a decentralized context: experiences from Uganda
by Jeppsson, Anders
- 2061-2072 Afghan refugees and the temporal and spatial distribution of malaria in Pakistan
by Rowland, Mark & Rab, Mohammad Abdur & Freeman, Tim & Durrani, Naeem & Rehman, Naveeda
2002, Volume 55, Issue 10
- 1693-1712 Choices about treatment for ARI and diarrhea in rural Guatemala
by Goldman, Noreen & Pebley, Anne R. & Gragnolati, Michele
- 1713-1724 The changing nature of murder in Russia
by Chervyakov, Valeriy V. & Shkolnikov, Vladimir M. & Pridemore, William Alex & McKee, Martin
- 1725-1744 Development of a questionnaire for quantitative assessment in the field of health and human rights
by Wildner, Manfred & Fischer, Richela & Brunner, Anne
- 1745-1755 Entering the well-guarded fortress: alternative practitioners in hospital settings
by Shuval, Judith T. & Mizrachi, Nissim & Smetannikov, Emma
- 1757-1769 Being deaf and being other things: young Asian people negotiating identities
by Ahmad, Waqar I. U. & Atkin, Karl & Jones, Lesley
- 1771-1777 Clinical autonomy, individual and collective: the problem of changing doctors' behaviour
by Armstrong, David
- 1779-1794 Equity in health care access to: assessing the urban health insurance reform in China
by Liu, Gordon G. & Zhao, Zhongyun & Cai, Renhua & Yamada, Tetsuji & Yamada, Tadashi
- 1795-1802 Illness management strategies among Chinese immigrants living with arthritis
by Zhang, Jinjin & Verhoef, Marja J.
- 1803-1812 The influence of the Chinese zodiac on fertility in Hong Kong SAR
by Yip, Paul S. F. & Lee, Joseph & Cheung, Y. B.
- 1813-1816 Chronic pain in land mine accident survivors in Cambodia and Kurdistan
by Husum, Hans & Resell, Kirsten & Vorren, Gyri & Heng, Yang Van & Murad, Mudhafar & Gilbert, Mads & Wisborg, Torben
- 1817-1828 The effects of migration on the detection of geographic differences in disease risk
by Rogerson, Peter A. & Han, Daikwon
- 1829-1833 Radically changing the research framework during a health geography study
by Baer, Leonard D.
- 1835-1847 Parenting in a crisis: conceptualising mothers of children with cancer
by Young, Bridget & Dixon-Woods, Mary & Findlay, Michelle & Heney, David
- 1849-1869 Utilization of maternal health care services in Southern India
by Navaneetham, K. & Dharmalingam, A.
- 1871-1885 Inter and intra individual variations in physicians' verbal behaviour during primary care consultations
by Piccolo, Lidia Del & Mazzi, Mariangela & Saltini, Anna & Zimmermann, Christa
2002, Volume 55, Issue 9
- 1493-1509 Young men in 'crisis': attending to the language of teenage boys' distress
by McQueen, Carolyn & Henwood, Karen
- 1511-1522 Vaginal wetness: an underestimated problem experienced by progestogen injectable contraceptive users in South Africa
by Smit, Jennifer & McFadyen, Lynn & Zuma, Khangelani & Preston-Whyte, Eleanor
- 1523-1537 Change in determinants of use of physician services in Finland between 1987 and 1996
by Häkkinen, Unto
- 1539-1551 Balancing responsibility for sanitation
by Allison, Maria Clasina
- 1553-1560 Beneficial effects of a woman-focused development programme on child survival: evidence from rural Bangladesh
by Bhuiya, Abbas & Chowdhury, Mushtaque
- 1561-1570 A note on the use of a single inequality index in testing the effect of income distribution on mortality
by Laporte, Audrey
- 1571-1578 Dutch GPs' perceptions: the influence of out-of-pocket costs on prescribing
by Kasje, W. N. & Timmer, J. W. & Boendermaker, P. M. & Haaijer-Ruskamp, F. M.
- 1579-1587 Factors influencing private health providers' technical quality of care for acute respiratory infections among under-five children in rural West Bengal, India
by Chakraborty, Sarbani & Frick, Kevin
- 1589-1602 Prevalence of battering among 1780 outpatients at an internal medicine institution in Mexico
by Díaz-Olavarrieta, Claudia & Ellertson, Charlotte & Paz, Francisco & de Leon, Samuel Ponce & Alarcon-Segovia, Donato
- 1603-1617 Risk factors for domestic violence: findings from a South African cross-sectional study
by Jewkes, Rachel & Levin, Jonathan & Penn-Kekana, Loveday
- 1619-1633 Living with asthma: the experiences of young people at home and at school
by Gabe, Jonathan & Bury, Michael & Ramsay, Rosemary
- 1635-1646 The effect of health-related quality of life (HRQOL) on health service utilisation of a Chinese population
by Lam, Cindy L. K. & Fong, Daniel Y. T. & Lauder, Ian J. & Lam, Tai-Pong D.
- 1647-1661 Ethnicity, environment and health: putting ethnic inequalities in health in their place
by Karlsen, Saffron & Nazroo, James Y. & Stephenson, Rob
- 1663-1669 High-frequency death certifiers in Taiwan: a sociocultural product
by Lu, Tsung-Hsueh & Janes, Craig R. & Lee, Meng-Chih & Chou, Ming-Chih & Shih, Tai-Ping
- 1671-1690 Transnational industrial power, the medical profession and the regulatory state: adverse drug reactions and the crisis over the safety of Halcion in the Netherlands and the UK
by Abraham, John
2002, Volume 55, Issue 8
- 1285-1296 Homeopath & patient-a dyad of harmony?
by Frank, R.
- 1297-1307 Migration and HIV prevention programmes: linking structural factors, culture, and individual behaviour--an Israeli experience
by Soskolne, Varda & Shtarkshall, Ronny A.
- 1309-1323 Cross-cultural encounters between careproviders: rabbis' referral letters to a psychiatric clinic in Israel
by Goodman, Yehuda & Witztum, Eliezer
- 1325-1336 Researching sexual and reproductive behaviour: a peer ethnographic approach
by Price, Neil & Hawkins, Kirstan
- 1337-1349 The lesser shame: abortion among educated women in southern Cameroon
by Johnson-Hanks, Jennifer
- 1351-1371 Adolescent understandings of political violence and psychological well-being: a qualitative study from Bosnia Herzegovina
by Jones, Lynne
- 1373-1383 Social capital and violence in the United States, 1974-1993
by Galea, Sandro & Karpati, Adam & Kennedy, Bruce
- 1385-1399 Who's at risk? Factors associated with intimate partner violence in the Philippines
by Hindin, Michelle J. & Adair, Linda S.
- 1401-1413 Physician evaluation of obesity in health surveys: "who are you calling fat?"
by Ferraro, Kenneth F. & Holland, Kimberlee B.
- 1415-1424 Self-rated economic condition and the health of elderly persons in Hong Kong
by Cheng, Y. H. & Chi, I. & Boey, K. W. & Ko, L. S. F. & Chou, K. L.
- 1425-1434 The instrumental uses of autonomy: A review of AIDS law and policy in Europe
by Harrington, John A
- 1435-1446 Barriers, facilitators, and access for wheelchair users: sbstantive and methodologic lessons from a pilot study of environmental effects
by Meyers, Allan R. & Anderson, Jennifer J. & Miller, Donald R. & Shipp, Kathy & Hoenig, Helen
- 1447-1455 The changing nature of contracts in German health care
by Riemer-Hommel, Petra
- 1457-1470 Neighborhood structural characteristics and mental disorder: Faris and Dunham revisited
by Silver, Eric & Mulvey, Edward P. & Swanson, Jeffrey W.
- 1471-1483 'Could you please pass one of those health leaflets along?': exploring health, morality and resistance through focus groups
by Crossley, Michele L.
2002, Volume 55, Issue 7
- 1079-1087 Discourse in different voices: reconciling N=1 and N=many
by Little, Miles & Jordens, Christopher F. C. & Paul, Kim & Sayers, Emma-Jane & Cruickshank, Jane Ann & Stegeman, Jantine & Montgomery, Kathleen
- 1089-1102 Increasing use of prenatal care in Ladakh (India): the roles of ecological and cultural factors
by Wiley, Andrea S.
- 1103-1113 Syringe type and drug injector risk for HIV infection: a case study in Texas
by Zule, William A. & Desmond, David P. & Neff, James Alan
- 1115-1127 "Come back when you're dying:" the commodification of AIDS among California's urban poor
by Crane, Johanna & Quirk, Kathleen & van der Straten, Ariane
- 1129-1142 Rural families caring for a relative with dementia: barriers to use of formal services
by Morgan, Debra G. & Semchuk, Karen M. & Stewart, Norma J. & D'Arcy, Carl
- 1143-1156 Concepts of iron deficiency anemia and public health measures in rural Costa Rica
by Jefferds, Mariaelena D.
- 1157-1172 The health capital of families: an investigation of the inter-spousal correlation in health status
by Wilson, Sven E.
- 1173-1187 Evaluating the participatory process in a community-based heart health project
by Naylor, Patti-Jean & Wharf-Higgins, Joan & Blair, Lynne & Green, Lawrence & O'Connor, Brian
- 1189-1206 Making health data maps: a case study of a community/university research collaboration
by Buckeridge, David L & Mason, Robin & Robertson, Ann & Frank, John & Glazier, Richard & Purdon, Lorraine & Amrhein, Carl G & Chaudhuri, Nita & Fuller-Thomson, Esme & Gozdyra, Peter & Hulchanski, David & Moldofsky, Byron & Thompson, Maureen & Wright, Robert
- 1207-1211 Effect of ethnic background on Danish hospital utilisation patterns
by Krasnik, Allan & Norredam, Marie & Sorensen, Tine Moller & Michaelsen, Jette Joost & Nielsen, Anette Sonne & Keiding, Niels
- 1213-1229 Expanding the scope of health reform: application in the United States
by Begley, Charles E. & Aday, Lu Ann & Lairson, David R. & Slater, Carl H.
- 1231-1244 The epidemiology of rape and sexual coercion in South Africa: an overview
by Jewkes, Rachel & Abrahams, Naeema
- 1245-1253 Is GP-patient communication related to their perceptions of illness severity, coping and social support?
by Deveugele, M. & Derese, A. & De Maeseneer, J.
- 1255-1266 Predictors of health and human services use by persons with dementia and their family caregivers
by Toseland, Ronald W. & McCallion, Philip & Gerber, Todd & Banks, Steve
- 1267-1278 Chicken or the egg? The biological-psychological controversy surrounding hyperemesis gravidarum
by Munch, Shari
2002, Volume 55, Issue 6
- 881-893 Encountering the downward phase: biographical work in people with multiple sclerosis living at home
by Boeije, Hennie R. & Duijnstee, Mia S. H. & Grypdonck, Mieke H. F. & Pool, Aart
- 895-906 Cost characteristics of hospitals
by Smet, Mike
- 907-920 Ready to die: a postmodern interpretation of the increase of African-American adolescent male suicide
by Willis, Leigh A. & Coombs, David W. & Cockerham, William C. & Frison, Sonja L.
- 921-935 State-event relations among indicators of susceptibility to mental distress in Wythenshawe in the UK
by Thomas, Richard & Evans, Sherrill & Gately, Claire & Stordy, Joe & Huxley, Peter & Rogers, Anne & Robson, Brian
- 937-948 Early origins and adult correlates of psychosomatic distress
by Cheung, Yin Bun
- 949-961 Social status determinants of control in individuals' accounts of their mental illness
by Maher, Erin J. & Kroska, Amy
- 963-979 Marginal employment and health in Britain and Germany: does unstable employment predict health?
by Rodriguez, Eunice
- 981-989 The effects of introducing prospective payments to general hospitals on length of stay, quality of care, and hospitals' income: the early experience of Israel
by Shmueli, Amir & Intrator, Orna & Israeli, Avi
- 991-1003 Interdisciplinary collaboration within Quebec community health care centres
by Sicotte, Claude & D'Amour, Danielle & Moreault, Marie-Pierre
- 1005-1013 Primary health care in the era of HIV/AIDS. Some implications for health systems reform
by Petersen, Inge & Swartz, Leslie
- 1015-1024 The spatial epidemiology of cholera in an endemic area of Bangladesh
by Ali, Mohammad & Emch, Michael & Donnay, J. P. & Yunus, Mohammad & Sack, R. B.
- 1025-1037 An investigation of the health beliefs and motivations of complementary medicine clients
by Sirois, Fuschia M. & Gick, Mary L.
- 1039-1054 Gender and health in rural China: evidence from HeBei province
by Anson, Ofra & Sun, Shifang
- 1055-1068 Gradients in risk for youth injury associated with multiple-risk behaviours: a study of 11,329 Canadian adolescents
by Pickett, William & Garner, Michael J. & Boyce, William F. & King, Matthew A.
- 1069-1076 Predictors of Canadian legislators' support for tobacco control policies
by Cohen, Joanna E. & de Guia, Nicole A. & Ashley, Mary Jane & Ferrence, Roberta & Northrup, David A. & Studlar, Donley T.
2002, Volume 55, Issue 5
- 695-708 Vocabularies of motive for illicit steroid use among bodybuilders
by Monaghan, Lee F.
- 709-719 "Why don't they just tell me straight, why allocate it?" The struggle to make sense of participating in a randomised controlled trial
by Featherstone, Katie & Donovan, Jenny L.
- 721-732 Bad news from the patient's perspective: an analysis of the written narratives of newly diagnosed cancer patients
by Salander, Pär
- 733-741 Medical dominance in Italy: a partial decline
by Tousijn, Willem
- 743-753 Too many choices? Hospital and community staff reflect on the future of prenatal screening
by Williams, Clare & Alderson, Priscilla & Farsides, Bobbie
- 755-774 An analysis of private health insurance purchasing decisions with national health insurance in Taiwan
by Liu, Tsai-Ching & Chen, Chin-Shyan
- 775-790 Gender, family, and the nutritional status of children in three culturally contrasting states of India
by Griffiths, Paula & Matthews, Zoë & Hinde, Andrew
- 791-802 Alcohol mortality: a comparison of spatial clustering methods
by Hanson, Craig E. & Wieczorek, William F.
- 803-821 Risking risk: the influence of types of capital and social networks on the injection practices of drug users
by Lovell, Anne M.
- 823-834 Is low self-esteem an inevitable consequence of stigma? An example from women with chronic mental health problems
by Camp, D. L. & Finlay, W. M. L. & Lyons, E.
- 835-845 Cultural stereotypes of women from South Asian communities: mental health care professionals' explanations for patterns of suicide and depression
by Burr, J.
- 847-861 Social variation in self-rated health in Estonia: a cross-sectional study
by Leinsalu, Mall
- 863-880 Social inequality in educational achievement and psychosocial adjustment throughout childhood: magnitude and mechanisms
by Sacker, Amanda & Schoon, Ingrid & Bartley, Mel
2002, Volume 55, Issue 4
- 517-527 Euthanasia, assisted suicide, and cessation of life support: Japan's policy, law, and an analysis of whistle blowing in two recent mercy killing cases
by Akabayashi, Akira
- 529-544 Women's perceptions of iron deficiency and anemia prevention and control in eight developing countries
by Galloway, Rae & Dusch, Erin & Elder, Leslie & Achadi, Endang & Grajeda, Ruben & Hurtado, Elena & Favin, Mike & Kanani, Shubhada & Marsaban, Julie & Meda, Nicolas & Mona Moore, K. & Morison, Linda. & Raina, Neena & Rajaratnam, Jolly & Rodriquez, Javier & Stephen, Chitra
- 545-557 What is a 'planned' pregnancy? empirical data from a British study
by Barrett, Geraldine & Wellings, Kaye
- 559-570 Watching the clock: keeping time during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum experiences
by Simonds, Wendy
- 571-584 Understanding household demand for indoor air pollution control in developing countries
by Larson, Bruce A. & Rosen, Sydney
- 585-592 Polygyny, maternal HIV status and child survival: Rakai, Uganda
by Brahmbhatt, Heena & Bishai, David & Wabwire-Mangen, Fred & Kigozi, Godfrey & Wawer, Maria & Gray, Ronald H.
- 593-608 Why is less money spent on health care for the elderly than for the rest of the population? Health care rationing in German hospitals
by Brockmann, Hilke
- 609-625 Analysing changes of health inequalities in the Nordic welfare states
by Lahelma, Eero & Kivelä, Katariina & Roos, Eva & Tuominen, Terhi & Dahl, Espen & Diderichsen, Finn & Elstad, Jon Ivar & Lissau, Inge & Lundberg, Olle & Rahkonen, Ossi & Rasmussen, Niels Kristian & Yngwe, Monica Åberg
- 627-641 Impact of improvement of water supply on household economy in a squatter area of Manila
by Aiga, Hirotsugu & Umenai, Takusei
- 643-657 Ethnic identities, social capital and health inequalities: factors shaping African-Caribbean participation in local community networks in the UK
by Campbell, Catherine & McLean, Carl
- 659-672 The impact of the 9-21 earthquake experiences of Taiwanese nurses as rescuers
by Shih, Fu-Jin & Liao, Yen-Chi & Chan, Shiu-Mei & Duh, Bau-Ruei & Gau, Meei-Ling
- 673-679 Cohabitation and marital status as predictors of mortality--an eight year follow-up study
by Lund, Rikke & Due, Pernille & Modvig, Jens & Holstein, Bjørn Evald & Damsgaard, Mogens Trab & Andersen, Per Kragh
- 681-690 Smoking and young women in Vietnam: the influence of normative gender roles
by Morrow, Martha & Ngoc, Do Hong & Hoang, Truong Trong & Trinh, Tran Hue
2002, Volume 55, Issue 3
- 385-396 The resurgence of disease: social and historical perspectives on the 'new' tuberculosis
by Gandy, Matthew & Zumla, Alimuddin
- 397-398 Commentary on 'the resurgence of disease: social and historical perspectives on the 'new' tuberculosis'
by Porter, John D. H. & Ogden, Jessica A.
- 399-401 Theorizing tuberculosis: a reply to Porter and Ogden
by Gandy, Matthew & Zumla, Alimuddin
- 403-413 Medical syncretism with reference to malaria in a Tanzanian community
by Hausmann Muela, Susanna & Muela Ribera, Joan & Mushi, Adiel K. & Tanner, Marcel
- 415-424 Multilevel analysis of situational drinking among Canadian undergraduates
by Demers, Andrée & Kairouz, Sylvia & Adlaf, Edward & Gliksman, Louis & Newton-Taylor, Brenda & Marchand, Alain
- 425-435 Secondhand effects of student alcohol use reported by neighbors of colleges: the role of alcohol outlets
by Wechsler, Henry & Lee, Jae Eun & Hall, John & Wagenaar, Alexander C. & Lee, Hang
- 437-450 Husbands and maternal health matters in rural Guatemala: wives' reports on their spouses' involvement in pregnancy and birth
by Carter, Marion
- 451-465 Habit versus choice: the process of decision-making in health-related behaviour
by Lindbladh, Eva & Lyttkens, Carl Hampus
- 467-481 Gender gaps, gender traps: sexual identity and vulnerability to sexually transmitted diseases among women in Vietnam
by Go, Vivian Fei-ling & Quan, Vu Minh & Chung, A & Zenilman, Jonathan & Hanh, Vu Thi Minh & Celentano, David
- 483-496 Seeking trust and transcendence: sexual risk-taking among Vietnamese youth
by Gammeltoft, Tine
- 497-507 A risky business: the detection of adverse drug reactions in clinical trials and post-marketing exercises
by Corrigan, Oonagh P.
2002, Volume 55, Issue 2
- 191-209 Social environment, life challenge, and health among the elderly in Taiwan
by Beckett, Megan & Goldman, Noreen & Weinstein, Maxine & Lin, I-Fen & Chuang, Yi-Li
- 211-226 Accounting for unprotected sex: stories of agency and acceptability
by Rhodes, Tim & Cusick, Linda
- 227-234 Public trust in Dutch health care
by Straten, G. F. M. & Friele, R. D. & Groenewegen, P. P.
- 235-246 Increasing drug users' adherence to HIV treatment: results of a peer-driven intervention feasibility study
by Broadhead, Robert S. & Heckathorn, Douglas D. & Altice, Frederick L. & van Hulst, Yaël & Carbone, Michael & Friedland, Gerald H. & O'Connor, Patrick G. & Selwyn, Peter A.
- 247-256 Chronic fatigue, abuse-related traumatization, and psychiatric disorders in a community-based sample
by Taylor, Renée R. & Jason, Leonard A.
- 257-267 Learning to live with glaucoma: a qualitative study of diagnosis and the impact of sight loss
by Green, Judith & Siddall, Helen & Murdoch, Ian
- 269-282 Participatory evaluation of reproductive health care quality in developing countries
by Bradley, Janet E. & Mayfield, Marcia V. & Mehta, Manisha P. & Rukonge, Anatole
- 283-299 The impact of general practitioners' patient-centredness on patients' post-consultation satisfaction and enablement
by Mead, Nicola & Bower, Peter & Hann, Mark
- 301-311 Physician-patient communication and patient satisfaction in Japanese cancer consultations
by Ishikawa, Hirono & Takayama, Tomoko & Yamazaki, Yoshihiko & Seki, Yukiko & Katsumata, Noriyuki
- 313-322 The uneven tides of the health transition
by Heuveline, Patrick & Guillot, Michel & Gwatkin, Davidson R.
- 323-329 Dentistry and distributive justice
by Dharamsi, Shafik & MacEntee, Michael I.
- 331-345 Peer education, gender and the development of critical consciousness: participatory HIV prevention by South African youth
by Campbell, Catherine & MacPhail, Catherine
2002, Volume 55, Issue 1
- 1-5 Editorial
by Thouez, Jean-Pierre M.
- 7-19 Spatial patterns of tuberculosis incidence in Cologne (Germany)
by Kistemann, Thomas & Munzinger, Annette & Dangendorf, Friederike
- 21-31 Does migration exaggerate the relationship between deprivation and limiting long-term illness? A Scottish analysis
by Boyle, Paul & Norman, Paul & Rees, Philip
- 33-45 Poverty, social exclusion and health in Portugal
by Santana, Paula
- 47-61 Community reappraisal of the perceived health effects of a petroleum refinery
by Luginaah, Isaac N. & Martin Taylor, S. & Elliott, Susan J. & Eyles, John D.
- 63-78 Changing local geographies of private residential care for older people 1983-1999: lessons for social policy in England and Wales
by Andrews, Gavin J & Phillips, David R
- 79-96 Assessing the applicability of GIS in a health and social care setting: planning services for informal carers in East Sussex, England
by Foley, Ronan
- 97-111 Car travel time and accessibility by bus to general practitioner services: a study using patient registers and GIS
by Lovett, Andrew & Haynes, Robin & Sünnenberg, Gisela & Gale, Susan
- 125-139 Place effects on health: how can we conceptualise, operationalise and measure them?
by Macintyre, Sally & Ellaway, Anne & Cummins, Steven
- 141-154 Changing geographies of care: employing the concept of therapeutic landscapes as a framework in examining home space
by Williams, Allison
- 167-173 Themes in British health geography at the end of the century: a review of published research 1998-2000
by Asthana, Sheena & Curtis, Sarah & Duncan, Craig & Gould, Myles
2002, Volume 54, Issue 12
- 1739-1741 Social epidemiology
by Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1743-1753 Normative vs. attitudinal considerations in breastfeeding behavior: multifaceted social influences in a developing country context
by Göksen, Fatos
- 1755-1765 Utilization of health facilities and trained birth attendants for childbirth in rural Bangladesh: an empirical study
by Paul, Bimal Kanti & Rumsey, Deborah J.
- 1767-1777 Nurse-physician communication and quality of drug use in Swedish nursing homes
by Schmid, Ingrid K. & Svarstad, Bonnie L.
- 1779-1791 Individual and neighbourhood determinants of social participation and social capital: a multilevel analysis of the city of Malmö, Sweden
by Lindström, Martin & Merlo, Juan & Östergren, Per-Olof
- 1793-1812 The relative influence of individual, social and physical environment determinants of physical activity
by Giles-Corti, Billie & Donovan, Robert J.
- 1813-1824 Asking patients about violence: a survey of 510 women attending social and health services in Trieste, Italy
by Romito, Patrizia & Gerin, Daniela
- 1825-1837 'The public is too subjective': public involvement at different levels of health-care decision making
by Litva, Andrea & Coast, Joanna & Donovan, Jenny & Eyles, John & Shepherd, Michael & Tacchi, Jo & Abelson, Julia & Morgan, Kieran
- 1839-1851 "If there were a war tomorrow, we'd find the money": contrasting perspectives on the rationing of health care
by Coast, Joanna & Donovan, Jenny & Litva, Andrea & Eyles, John & Morgan, Kieran & Shepherd, Michael & Tacchi, Jo
- 1853-1866 The paradoxical use of interpreting in psychiatry
by Drennan, Gerard & Swartz, Leslie
- 1867-1874 Social integration of children with epilepsy in rural India
by Pal, Deb K. & Chaudhury, Gautam & Sengupta, Suryanil & Das, Tulika
- 1875-1886 Drug utilisation and self-medication in rural communities in Vietnam
by Okumura, Junko & Wakai, Susumu & Umenai, Takusei
- 1887-1896 Science writers' reactions to a medical "breakthrough" story
by Cooper, Crystale Purvis & Yukimura, Darcie
2002, Volume 54, Issue 11
- 1615-1620 International health in the 21st Century: trends and challenges
by Zwi, Anthony B. & Yach, Derek
- 1621-1635 Social inequalities in health within countries: not only an issue for affluent nations
by Braveman, Paula & Tarimo, Eleuther
- 1637-1656 Putting equity in health back onto the social policy agenda: experience from South Africa
by McIntyre, Di & Gilson, Lucy
- 1657-1667 Staking a claim for claims: a case study of resource allocation in Australian Aboriginal health care
by Mooney, Gavin & Jan, Stephen & Wiseman, Virginia
- 1669-1675 Reshaping the state from above, from within, from below: implications for public health
by Reich, Michael R.
- 1677-1684 Regulating incentives: the past and present role of the state in health care systems
by Saltman, Richard B.
- 1685-1690 Improving basic health service delivery in low-income countries: 'voice' to the poor
by Mehrotra, Santosh & Jarrett, Stephen W.
- 1691-1698 Financing reforms of public health services in China: lessons for other nations
by Liu, Xingzhu & Mills, Anne
- 1699-1711 Research capacity strengthening in the South
by Nchinda, Thomas C.
- 1713-1723 Placing gender at the centre of health programming: challenges and limitations
by Vlassoff, Carol & Moreno, Claudia Garcia