Social Science & Medicine
December 2004, Volume 59, Issue 12
- 2573-2583 Service users' strategies for managing risk in the volatile environment of an acute psychiatric ward
by Quirk, Alan & Lelliott, Paul & Seale, Clive
- 2585-2595 Utilization of delivery services at the primary health care level in rural Vietnam
by Duong, Dat V & Binns, Colin W & Lee, Andy H
- 2597-2601 Drug name confusion: evaluating the effectiveness of capital ("Tall Man") letters using eye movement data
by Filik, Ruth & Purdy, Kevin & Gale, Alastair & Gerrett, David
- 2603-2616 Migration, community context, and child immunization in Ethiopia
by Kiros, Gebre-Egzbiabher & White, Michael J.
- 2617-2626 Policy formation in gamete donation and egg sharing in the UK--a critical appraisal
by Blyth, Eric & Crawshaw, Marilyn & Daniels, Ken
- 2627-2637 The sense of belonging to a neighbourhood: can it be measured and is it related to health and well being in older women?
by Young, Anne F. & Russell, Anne & Powers, Jennifer R.
December 2004, Volume 59, Issue 11
- 2183-2193 Diabetes meanings a mong those without diabetes: explanatory models of immigrant Latinos in rural North Carolina
by Arcury, Thomas A. & Skelly, Anne H. & Gesler, Wilbert M. & Dougherty, Molly C.
- 2195-2205 Cultural competence among physicians treating Mexican Americans who have diabetes: a structural model
by Reimann, Joachim O. F. & Talavera, Gregory A. & Salmon, Michelle & Nuñez, Joseph A. & Velasquez, Roberto J.
- 2207-2218 Effects of nurse follow-up on emergency room revisits: a randomized controlled trial
by Wong, Frances Kam Yuet & Chow, Susan & Chang, Katherine & Lee, Albert & Liu, Jiexin
- 2219-2232 Client satisfaction with reproductive health-care quality: integrating business approaches to modeling and measurement
by Alden, Dana L. & Hoa, Do Mai & Bhawuk, Dharm
- 2233-2244 Patient satisfaction and ethnic identity among American Indian older adults
by Garroutte, Eva Marie & Kunovich, Robert M. & Jacobsen, Clemma & Goldberg, Jack
- 2245-2257 Social relationships and allostatic load in Taiwanese elderly and near elderly
by Seeman, Teresa & Glei, Dana & Goldman, Noreen & Weinstein, Maxine & Singer, Burt & Lin, Yu-Hsuan
- 2259-2270 Mental health among older adults in Japan: do sources of social support and negative interaction make a difference?
by Okabayashi, Hideki & Liang, Jersey & Krause, Neal & Akiyama, Hiroko & Sugisawa, Hidehiro
- 2271-2284 Short-term effects of moving from public housing in poor to middle-class neighborhoods on low-income, minority adults' outcomes
by Fauth, Rebecca C. & Leventhal, Tama & Brooks-Gunn, Jeanne
- 2285-2301 Preventing long-term welfare receipt: the theoretical relationship between health and poverty over the early life course
by Nielsen, Marcia J. & Juon, Hee-Soon & Ensminger, Margaret
- 2303-2312 The relationships of social participation and community ratings to health and health behaviors in areas with high and low population density
by Greiner, K. Allen & Li, Chaoyang & Kawachi, Ichiro & Hunt, D. Charles & Ahluwalia, Jasjit S.
- 2313-2323 Foreign direct investment and trade in health services: A review of the literature
by Smith, Richard D
- 2325-2334 Death and organ procurement: public beliefs and attitudes
by Siminoff, Laura A. & Burant, Christopher & Youngner, Stuart J.
- 2335-2359 A review of empirical studies on the model of effort-reward imbalance at work: reducing occupational stress by implementing a new theory
by Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kawakami, Norito
- 2361-2371 Prevention of mosquito nuisance among urban populations in Burkina Faso
by Samuelsen, Helle & Toé, Léa Paré & Baldet, Thierry & Skovmand, Ole
- 2373-2385 Violence against women in Ghana: a look at women's perceptions and review of policy and social responses
by Amoakohene, Margaret Ivy
- 2387-2399 Geographical proximity and health care utilization in veterans with SCI&D in the USA
by LaVela, Sherri L. & Smith, Bridget & Weaver, Frances M. & Miskevics, Scott A.
November 2004, Volume 59, Issue 10
- 1995-2001 Hospital ethnography: introduction
by van der Geest, Sjaak & Finkler, Kaja
- 2003-2012 "Villagers": Differential treatment in a Ghanaian hospital
by Andersen, Helle Max
- 2013-2024 The gaps in the gaze in South African hospitals
by Gibson, Diana
- 2025-2036 Poverty and violence, frustration and inventiveness: hospital ward life in Bangladesh
by Zaman, Shahaduz
- 2037-2051 Biomedicine globalized and localized: western medical practices in an outpatient clinic of a Mexican hospital
by Finkler, Kaja
- 2053-2069 Compliance as strategy: the importance of personalised relations in obstetric practice
by Tanassi, Lucia M.
- 2071-2085 Dealing with doubt: Making decisions in a neonatal ward in The Netherlands
by Vermeulen, Eric
- 2087-2094 Doctors and retribution: the hospitalisation of compensation claims in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea
by van Amstel, Hans & van der Geest, Sjaak
- 2095-2108 Privacy, privatization, and the politics of patronage: ethnographic challenges to penetrating the secret world of Middle Eastern, hospital-based in vitro fertilization
by Inhorn, Marcia C.
- 2109-2120 Social inequalities and disability in older men: prospective findings from the British regional heart study
by Ebrahim, Shah & Papacosta, Olia & Wannamethee, Goya & Adamson, Joy
- 2121-2129 Gender differences in factors affecting use of health services: an analysis of a community study of middle-aged and older Australians
by Parslow, Ruth & Jorm, Anthony & Christensen, Helen & Jacomb, Patricia & Rodgers, Bryan
- 2131-2138 Childhood IQ and cardiovascular disease in adulthood: prospective observational study linking the Scottish Mental Survey 1932 and the Midspan studies
by Hart, C. L. & Taylor, M. D. & Smith, G. Davey & Whalley, L. J. & Starr, J. M. & Hole, D. J. & Wilson, V. & Deary, I. J.
- 2139-2147 The association of personal and neighborhood socioeconomic indicators with subclinical cardiovascular disease in an elderly cohort. The cardiovascular health study
by Nordstrom, Cheryl K. & Diez Roux, Ana V. & Jackson, Sharon A. & Gardin, Julius M.
- 2149-2160 Clarifying the relationships between health and residential mobility
by Larson, Ann & Bell, Martin & Young, Anne Frances
- 2161-2172 The elderly and AIDS: Coping with the impact of adult death in Tanzania
by Dayton, Julia & Ainsworth, Martha
- 2173-2182 Organ transplantation in Singapore: history, problems, and policies
by Schmidt, Volker H. & Lim, Chee Han
November 2004, Volume 59, Issue 9
- 1783-1793 The importance of being expert: the quest for cancer information on the Internet
by Ziebland, Sue
- 1795-1806 Characteristics of online and offline health information seekers and factors that discriminate between them
by Cotten, Shelia R & Gupta, Sipi S
- 1807-1818 Preventing hepatitis C: 'Common sense', 'the bug' and other perspectives from the risk narratives of people who inject drugs
by Davis, Mark & Rhodes, Tim & Martin, Anthea
- 1819-1830 Rapid assessment: an international review of diffusion, practice and outcomes in the substance use field
by Fitch, Chris & Stimson, Gerry V & Rhodes, Tim & Poznyak, Vladimir
- 1831-1842 Attendance for general practitioner asthma care by children with moderate to severe asthma in Auckland, New Zealand
by Buetow, Stephen & Richards, Deborah & Mitchell, Ed & Gribben, Barry & Adair, Vivienne & Coster, Gregor & Hight, Makere
- 1843-1855 An issue of culture: the effects of daily activities on prenatal care utilization patterns in rural South Africa
by McCray, Talia M.
- 1857-1866 "Important to test, important to support": attitudes toward disability rights and prenatal diagnosis among leaders of support groups for genetic disorders in Israel
by Raz, Aviad
- 1867-1878 Referral to rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury: practitioners and the process of decision-making
by Foster, Michele & Tilse, Cheryl & Fleming, Jennifer
- 1879-1889 Nursing, knowledge and power: A case analysis
by Ceci, Christine
- 1891-1897 Preferences for disclosure: the case of bedside rationing
by Schwappach, David L.B & Koeck, Christian M
- 1899-1912 Making sense of diabetes: cultural models, gender and individual adjustment to Type 2 diabetes in a Mexican community
by Daniulaityte, Raminta
- 1913-1924 The political environment of HIV: lessons from a comparison of Uganda and South Africa
by Parkhurst, Justin O & Lush, Louisiana
- 1925-1936 Gender differences in the relationship of partner's social class to behavioural risk factors and social support in the Whitehall II study
by Bartley, M & Martikainen, P & Shipley, M & Marmot, M
- 1937-1948 Waiting time information services: An evaluation of how well clearance time statistics can forecast a patient's wait
by Cromwell, David A
- 1949-1954 Changes in authorship patterns in prestigious US medical journals
by Weeks, William B & Wallace, Amy E & Kimberly, B.C.Surott
- 1955-1967 Do dietary intakes affect search for nutrient information on food labels?
by Jordan Lin, Chung-Tung & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Yen, Steven T.
- 1969-1973 Mental health burden amongst inhabitants of an arsenic-affected area in Inner Mongolia, China
by Fujino, Yoshihisa & Guo, Xiaojuan & Liu, Jun & You, Lingui & Miyatake, Munetoshi & Yoshimura, Takesumi
- 1975-1984 The use of personal data from medical records and biological materials: ethical perspectives and the basis for legal restrictions in health research
by Regidor, Enrique
- 1985-1992 The European health divide: a matter of financial or social capital?
by Carlson, Per
October 2004, Volume 59, Issue 8
- 1561-1572 Interactive video behavioral intervention to reduce adolescent females' STD risk: a randomized controlled trial
by Downs, Julie S. & Murray, Pamela J. & Bruine de Bruin, Wändi & Penrose, Joyce & Palmgren, Claire & Fischhoff, Baruch
- 1573-1580 Unmet need for contraception in Kuwait: issues for health care providers
by Shah, Makhdoom A. & Shah, Nasra M. & Chowdhury, Rafiqul Islam & Menon, Indu
- 1581-1592 Transactional sex among women in Soweto, South Africa: prevalence, risk factors and association with HIV infection
by Dunkle, Kristin L. & Jewkes, Rachel K. & Brown, Heather C. & Gray, Glenda E. & McIntryre, James A. & Harlow, Siobán D.
- 1593-1601 What constitutes success in preventive health care? A case study in assessing the benefits of hip protectors
by Salkeld, G. & Quine, S. & Cameron, I. D.
- 1603-1612 'In the eye of the beholder': perceptions of local impact in English Health Action Zones
by Sullivan, Helen & Judge, Ken & Sewel, Kate
- 1613-1627 Insights into the 'healthy immigrant effect': health status and health service use of immigrants to Canada
by McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven
- 1629-1646 Socioeconomic, cultural, and personal influences on health outcomes in low income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
by Franzini, Luisa & Fernandez-Esquer, Maria Eugenia
- 1647-1659 Utilization of well-baby care visits provided by Taiwan's National Health Insurance Program
by Chen, Likwang & Yang, Wen-Shan & Lee, Shyh-Dye & Chang, Hua-Chih & Yeh, Chen-Lin
- 1661-1676 Committed to health for all? How the G7/G8 rate
by Labonte, Ronald & Schrecker, Ted
- 1677-1683 Research report: do general practitioners tell their patients about side effects to common treatments?
by Krag, Aleksander & Nielsen, Henriette Svarre & Norup, Michael & Madsen, Søren M. & Rossel, Peter
- 1685-1693 Truth telling and truthfulness in the care for patients with advanced dementia: an ethnographic study in Dutch nursing homes
by Hertogh, Cees M. P. M. & Anne Mei The, B. & Miesen, Bere M. L. & Eefsting, Jan A.
- 1695-1705 Relief, risk and renewal: mixed therapy regimens in an Australian suburb
by Connor, Linda H.
- 1707-1717 Street children in Pakistan: A situational analysis of social conditions and nutritional status
by Ali, Moazzam & Shahab, Saqib & Ushijima, Hiroshi & de Muynck, Aime
- 1719-1730 Job stress, social support, and prevalence of insomnia in a population of Japanese daytime workers
by Nakata, Akinori & Haratani, Takashi & Takahashi, Masaya & Kawakami, Norito & Arito, Heihachiro & Kobayashi, Fumio & Araki, Shunichi
- 1731-1740 The effect of hospital bed reduction on the use of beds: A comparative study of 10 European countries
by Kroneman, Madelon & Siegers, Jacques J.
- 1741-1755 Arsenic contamination awareness among the rural residents in Bangladesh
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 1757-1768 Does traditional birth attendant training improve referral of women with obstetric complications: a review of the evidence
by Sibley, Lynn & Sipe, Theresa Ann & Koblinsky, Marge
- 1769-1780 Denial of impending death: a discourse analysis of the palliative care literature
by Zimmermann, Camilla
October 2004, Volume 59, Issue 7
- 1339-1353 Social inequality and depressive disorders in Bahia, Brazil: interactions of gender, ethnicity, and social class
by Almeida-Filho, Naomar & Lessa, Ines & Magalhães, Lucélia & Araújo, Maria Jenny & Aquino, Estela & James, Sherman A. & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1355-1365 Individualisation and inequalities in health: a qualitative study of class identity and health
by Bolam, Bruce & Murphy, Simon & Gleeson, Kate
- 1367-1378 Job characteristics as mediators in SES-health relationships
by Warren, John Robert & Hoonakker, Peter & Carayon, Pascale & Brand, Jennie
- 1379-1395 Men's influences on women's reproductive health: medical anthropological perspectives
by Dudgeon, Matthew R. & Inhorn, Marcia C.
- 1397-1408 The rhetoric of "natural" in natural childbirth: childbearing women's perspectives on prolonged pregnancy and induction of labour
by Westfall, Rachel Emma & Benoit, Cecilia
- 1409-1421 Health lifestyles in central Asia: the case of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
by Cockerham, William C. & Hinote, Brian P. & Abbott, Pamela & Haerpfer, Christian
- 1423-1433 Analysis of health-related quality of life (HRQL), its distribution, and its distribution by income in Japan, 1989 and 1998
by Asada, Yukiko & Ohkusa, Yasushi
- 1435-1447 Socioeconomic determinants of mortality in two Canadian provinces: Multilevel modelling and neighborhood context
by Roos, Leslie L. & Magoon, Jennifer & Gupta, Sumit & Chateau, Dan & Veugelers, Paul J.
- 1449-1459 Premature mortality among lone fathers and childless men
by Ringbäck Weitoft, Gunilla & Burström, Bo & Rosén, Måns
- 1461-1471 Blood and bioidentity: ideas about self, boundaries and risk among blood donors and people living with Hepatitis C
by Waldby, Catherine & Rosengarten, Marsha & Treloar, Carla & Fraser, Suzanne
- 1473-1484 Striving for normalcy: symptoms and the threat of rejection after lung transplantation
by Dabbs, Annette De Vito & Hoffman, Leslie A. & Swigart, Valerie & Happ, Mary Beth & Dauber, James H. & McCurry, Kenneth R. & Iacono, Aldo
- 1485-1494 Neighbourhood influences on health in Montréal, Canada
by Ross, Nancy A. & Tremblay, Stéphane & Graham, Katie
- 1495-1503 The expression of aversion to medicines in general practice consultations
by Britten, Nicky & Stevenson, Fiona & Gafaranga, Joseph & Barry, Christine & Bradley, Colin
- 1505-1515 Rapid income growth adversely affects diet quality in China--particularly for the poor!
by Du, Shufa & Mroz, Tom A. & Zhai, Fengying & Popkin, Barry M.
- 1517-1527 Around-the-clock: parent work schedules and children's well-being in a 24-h economy
by Strazdins, Lyndall & Korda, Rosemary J. & Lim, Lynette L-Y. & Broom, Dorothy H. & D'Souza, Rennie M.
- 1529-1539 Community-based treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Lima, Peru: 7 years of experience
by Shin, Sonya & Furin, Jennifer & Bayona, Jaime & Mate, Kedar & Kim, Jim Yong & Farmer, Paul
- 1541-1546 Audience, consequence, and journal selection in toxic-exposure epidemiology
by Rier, David A.
- 1547-1557 Governing street-based injecting drug users: a critique of heroin overdose prevention in Australia
by Moore, David
September 2004, Volume 59, Issue 6
- 1117-1126 Income inequality and pregnancy spacing
by Gold, R. & Connell, Frederick A. & Heagerty, Patrick & Bezruchka, Stephen & Davis, Robert & Cawthon, Mary Lawrence
- 1127-1146 Race and pregnancy-related care in Brazil and South Africa
by Burgard, Sarah
- 1147-1158 Antenatal care: provision and inequality in rural north India
by Pallikadavath, Saseendran & Foss, Mary & Stones, R William
- 1159-1168 Masculinity and undocumented labor migration: injured latino day laborers in San Francisco
by Walter, Nicholas & Bourgois, Philippe & Margarita Loinaz, H.
- 1169-1175 Masculinity, infertility, stigma and media reports
by Gannon, Kenneth & Glover, Lesley & Abel, Paul
- 1177-1191 Mothering children who have disabilities: a Bourdieusian interpretation of maternal practices
by McKeever, Patricia & Miller, Karen-Lee
- 1193-1205 Doing their jobs: mothering with Ritalin in a culture of mother-blame
by Singh, Ilina
- 1207-1217 Further development of an Australian-based measure of social capital in a US sample
by O'Brien, Megan S. & Burdsal, Charles A. & Molgaard, Craig A.
- 1219-1229 Local services and amenities, neighborhood social capital, and health
by Altschuler, Andrea & Somkin, Carol P. & Adler, Nancy E.
- 1231-1239 The social situation of motherless children in rural and urban areas of Guinea-Bissau
by Masmas, Tania Nicole & Jensen, Henrik & da Silva, Domingos & Høj, Lars & Sandström, Anita & Aaby, Peter
- 1241-1250 Motivation and values of hospital consultants in south-east England who work in the national health service and do private practice
by Humphrey, Charlotte & Russell, Jill
- 1251-1261 'We are bitter but we are satisfied': nurses as street-level bureaucrats in South Africa
by Walker, Liz & Gilson, Lucy
- 1263-1273 Discharge from physiotherapy following stroke:: the management of disappointment
by Wiles, Rose & Ashburn, Ann & Payne, Sheila & Murphy, Caroline
- 1275-1285 The medical text: between biomedicine and hegemony
by Filc, D.
- 1287-1295 A comparison of socioeconomic differences in physical functioning and perceived health among male and female employees in Britain, Finland and Japan
by Martikainen, Pekka & Lahelma, Eero & Marmot, Michael & Sekine, Michikazu & Nishi, Nobuo & Kagamimori, Sadanobu
- 1297-1306 Self-reported health and adult mortality risk: An analysis of cause-specific mortality
by Benjamins, Maureen Reindl & Hummer, Robert A. & Eberstein, Isaac W. & Nam, Charles B.
- 1307-1313 Medicine in a multi-cultural society: the effect of cultural background on beliefs about medications
by Horne, Robert & Graupner, Lída & Frost, Susie & Weinman, John & Wright, Siobhan Melanie & Hankins, Matthew
- 1315-1327 Knowledge, attitudes and experiences of sex trafficking by young women in Benin City, South-South Nigeria
by Okonofua, F. E. & Ogbomwan, S. M. & Alutu, A. N. & Kufre, Okop & Eghosa, Aghahowa
- 1329-1337 While there's life ...: hope and the experience of cancer
by Little, Miles & Sayers, Emma-Jane
September 2004, Volume 59, Issue 5
- 889-902 The adapting healer: pioneering through shifting epidemiological and sociocultural landscapes
by McMillen, H.Heather
- 903-913 Outcomes associated with participation in a therapeutic recreation camping programme for children from 15 European countries: Data from the 'Barretstown Studies'
by Kiernan, Gemma & Gormley, Michael & MacLachlan, Malcolm
- 915-930 Responses of established healthcare to the professionalization of complementary and alternative medicine in Ontario
by Kelner, Merrijoy & Wellman, Beverly & Boon, Heather & Welsh, Sandy
- 931-943 The performance of different models of primary care provision in Southern Africa
by Mills, Anne & Palmer, Natasha & Gilson, Lucy & McIntyre, Di & Schneider, Helen & Sinanovic, Edina & Wadee, Haroon
- 945-959 Senegalese grandmothers promote improved maternal and child nutrition practices: the guardians of tradition are not averse to change
by Aubel, Judi & Touré, Ibrahima & Diagne, Mamadou
- 961-971 Racial and ethnic diversity and organizational behavior: a focused research agenda for health services management
by Dreachslin, Janice L. & Weech-Maldonado, Robert & Dansky, K.H.Kathryn H.
- 973-986 Should "acculturation" be a variable in health research? A critical review of research on US Hispanics
by Hunt, L.M.Linda M. & Schneider, Suzanne & Comer, Brendon
- 987-1001 The economic consequences for parents of losing an adult child to AIDS: Evidence from Thailand
by Knodel, John & Im-em, Wassana
- 1003-1010 Search for a cure: narratives of Thai family caregivers living with a person with AIDS
by Nilmanat, Kittikorn & Street, Annette
- 1011-1018 STD care: variations in clinical care associated with provider sex, patient sex, patients' self-reported symptoms or high-risk behaviors, partner STD history
by St. Lawrence, J.S.Janet S. & Kuo, Wen-Hung & Hogben, Matthew & Montaño, Daniel E & Kasprzyk, Danuta & Phillips, William R.
- 1019-1033 The determinants of withdrawal use in Turkey: A husband's imposition or a woman's choice?
by Kulczycki, Andrzej
- 1035-1045 'I am not the kind of woman who complains of everything': Illness stories on self and shame in women with chronic pain
by Werner, Anne & Isaksen, L.W.Lise Widding & Malterud, Kirsti
- 1047-1058 Sociocultural context of women's body image
by Paquette, M.-C.Marie-Claude & Raine, Kim
- 1059-1069 The problem of evidence-based medicine: directions for social science
by Mykhalovskiy, Eric & Weir, Lorna
- 1071-1079 'It takes three to tango':: a framework for understanding patient partnership in paediatric clinics
by Gabe, Jonathan & Olumide, Gillian & Bury, Michael
- 1081-1094 Occupational stressors and hypertension: a multi-method study using observer-based job analysis and self-reports in urban transit operators
by Greiner, Birgit A. & Krause, Niklas & Ragland, David & Fisher, J.M.June M.
- 1095-1108 Remaking family life: strategies for re-establishing continuity among Congolese refugees during the family reunification process
by Rousseau, C.Cécile & Rufagari, Marie-Claire & Bagilishya, Déogratias & Measham, Toby
- 1109-1116 Self-rated oral health as an independent predictor of self-rated general health, self-esteem and life satisfaction
by Benyamini, Yael & Leventhal, Howard & Leventhal, E.A.Elaine A.
August 2004, Volume 59, Issue 4
- 667-679 Women's menarche stories from a multicultural sample
by Uskul, A.K.Ayse K.
- 681-694 Health service utilization for perceived postpartum morbidity among poor women living in Karachi
by Fikree, Fariyal F. & Ali, Tazeen & Durocher, Jill M. & Rahbar, Mohammad H.
- 695-708 Gender inequality, family planning, and maternal and child care in a rural Chinese county
by Li, Jianghong
- 709-720 Eating, drinking and being depressed: the social, cultural and psychological context of alcohol consumption and nutrition in a Brazilian community
by Dressler, William W. & Ribeiro, Rosane Pilot & Balieiro, Mauro Campos & Oths, Kathryn S. & Dos Santos, J.E.José Ernesto
- 721-733 Chronic diseases and depression: the modifying role of psychosocial resources
by Bisschop, M. Isabella & Kriegsman, Didi M. W. & Beekman, Aartjan T. F. & Deeg, D.J.H.Dorly J. H.
- 735-751 'White liquor hits black livers': meanings of excessive liquor consumption in South Africa in the second half of the twentieth century
by Mager, Anne
- 753-762 Sociocultural aspects of tuberculosis: a literature review and a case study of immigrant tuberculosis
by Ho, M.-J.Ming-Jung
- 763-773 A social disease/a social response: lessons in tuberculosis from early 20th century Chile
by Paluzzi, J.E.Joan E.
- 775-785 Physician commitment in end of life care--perspectives from New Zealand and the Netherlands
by Mitchell, K.
- 787-797 RCT of a theory-based intervention promoting healthy eating and physical activity amongst out-patients older than 65 years
by Kelley, Kate & Abraham, C.Charles
- 799-812 The impact of stigma on maternal attitudes toward placement of children with disabilities in residential care facilities
by Green, S.E.Sara E.
- 813-823 Physical, mental and social factors associated with frequent attendance in Danish general practice. A population-based cross-sectional study
by Vedsted, Peter & Fink, Per & Sørensen, H.T.Henrik Toft & Olesen, Frede
- 825-835 Los Años de la Crisis: An examination of change in differential infant mortality risk within Mexico
by Frank, R. & Finch, B.K.Brian Karl
- 837-849 A comparison of traditional healers' medicinal plant knowledge in the Bolivian Andes and Amazon
by Vandebroek, Ina & Van Damme, Patrick & Van Puyvelde, Luc & Arrazola, Susana & De Kimpe, Norbert
- 851-860 Dhandha, dharma and disease: traditional sex work and HIV/AIDS in rural India
by O'Neil, John & Orchard, Treena & Swarankar, R. C. & Blanchard, J.F.James F. & Gurav, Kaveri & Moses, Stephen
- 861-868 'It might happen or it might not': how patients with multiple sclerosis explain their perception of prognostic risk
by Boeije, Hennie R. & Janssens, A.C.J.W.A. Cecile J. W.
- 869-884 The post-war public health effects of civil conflict
by Ghobarah, H.A.Hazem Adam & Huth, Paul & Russett, Bruce
August 2004, Volume 59, Issue 3
- 445-456 Gendered communication among young people in Mexico: implications for sexual health interventions
by Marston, Cicely
- 457-471 Risks, stigma and Honduran Garífuna conceptions of HIV/AIDS
by Stansbury, James P. & Sierra, Manuel
- 473-487 Socio-cultural influences on young people's sexual development
by Shoveller, Jean A. & Johnson, Joy L. & Langille, Donald B. & Mitchell, Terry
- 489-499 "Viagra stories": challenging 'erectile dysfunction'
by Potts, Annie & Grace, Victoria & Gavey, Nicola & Vares, Tiina
- 501-523 A critical review of behavioral issues related to malaria control in sub-Saharan Africa:: what contributions have social scientists made?
by Williams, Holly Ann & Jones, Caroline O. H.
- 525-539 Cost-effectiveness of malaria control interventions when malaria mortality is low: insecticide-treated nets versus in-house residual spraying in India
by Bhatia, Mrigesh R & Fox-Rushby, Julia & Mills, Anne
- 541-551 A comparison of breast, testicular and prostate cancer in mass print media (1996-2001)
by Clarke, Juanne Nancarrow
- 553-565 Accommodating risk: Responses to BRCA1/2 genetic testing of women who have had cancer
by Hallowell, N. & Foster, C. & Eeles, R. & Ardern-Jones, A. & Watson, M.
- 567-571 Gender and physical violence
by Steen, Knut & Hunskaar, Steinar
- 573-583 "Social thinking" and cultural images: teenagers' notions of tobacco use
by Stjerna, Marie-Louise & Lauritzen, Sonja Olin & Tillgren, Per
- 585-594 Using a point system in the management of waiting lists: the case of cataracts
by Rodríguez-Míguez, Eva & Herrero, Carmen & Pinto-Prades, José Luis
- 595-607 Social capital, the miniaturisation of community and self-reported global and psychological health
by Lindström, Martin
- 609-623 Physical well-being and school enrollment:: a comparison of adopted and biological children in one-child families in China
by Liu, Jihong & Wyshak, Grace & Larsen, Ulla
- 625-635 Present concerns of survivors of human rights violations in South Africa
by Kagee, Ashraf
- 637-651 Authorizing tradition: vectors of contention in Highland Maya midwifery
by Hinojosa, Servando Z.
- 653-662 Turning the tide: Benefit finding after cancer surgery
by Schulz, Ute & Mohamed, Nihal E.
July 2004, Volume 59, Issue 2
- 223-233 Integrating genetics as practices of primary care
by Robins, Rosemary & Metcalfe, Sylvia
- 235-248 Optimising clinical practice in cancer genetics with cultural competence: lessons to be learned from ethnographic research with Chinese-Australians
by Eisenbruch, M.Maurice & Yeo, Soo See & Meiser, Bettina & Goldstein, David & Tucker, Kathy & Barlow-Stewart, Kristine
- 249-261 Socioeconomic differences in cancer screening participation: comparing cognitive and psychosocial explanations
by Wardle, Jane & McCaffery, Kirsten & Nadel, Marion & Atkin, Wendy
- 263-274 Women, family demands and health: the importance of employment status and socio-economic position
by Artazcoz, L.Lucía & Borrell, Carme & Benach, Joan & Cortès, Imma & Rohlfs, Izabella
- 275-283 Understanding the role of mediating risk factors and proxy effects in the association between socio-economic status and untreated hypertension
by Colin Bell, A. & Adair, Linda S. & Popkin, Barry M.
- 285-297 AIDS-talk in everyday life: the presence of HIV/AIDS in men's informal conversation in Southern Malawi
by Kaler, Amy
- 299-310 Secretive females or swaggering males?: An assessment of the quality of sexual partnership reporting in rural Tanzania
by Nnko, Soori & Boerma, J.T.J Ties & Urassa, Mark & Mwaluko, Gabriel & Zaba, Basia
- 311-319 Violent deaths among women of reproductive age in rural Bangladesh
by Ahmed, M.K.M. Kapil & van Ginneken, Jeroen & Razzaque, Abdur & Alam, Nurul
- 321-333 Dependency, democracy, and infant mortality: a quantitative, cross-national analysis of less developed countries
by Shandra, John M. & Nobles, Jenna & London, Bruce & Williamson, J.B.John B.
- 335-349 Wilp Wa'ums: colonial encounter, decolonization and medical care among the Nisga'a
by Kelm, M.-E.Mary-Ellen
- 351-360 Use of a visual analogue scale in a daily patient diary: modelling cross-sectional time-series data on health-related quality of life
by Parkin, David & Rice, Nigel & Jacoby, Ann & Doughty, Julie
- 361-376 Geographical variation in acute psychiatric admissions within New York City 1990-2000: growing inequalities in service use?
by Almog, Michael & Curtis, Sarah & Copeland, Alison & Congdon, Peter
- 377-387 The health-promoting family: a conceptual framework for future research
by Christensen, Pia
- 389-403 The Israeli kibbutz as a venue for reduced disability in old age: lessons from the Cross-sectional And Longitudinal Aging Study (CALAS)
by Walter-Ginzburg, Adrian & Blumstein, Tzvia & Guralnik, Jack M.
- 405-414 Traffic stress, vehicular burden and well-being: A multilevel analysis
by Gee, Gilbert C. & Takeuchi, D.T.David T.
- 415-431 Popular perceptions of tobacco products and patterns of use among male college students in India
by Nichter, Mimi & Nichter, Mark & Sickle, David Van
- 433-442 Use of benzodiazepine drugs and perceived job stress in a cohort of working men and women in Belgium. Results from the BELSTRESS-study
by Pelfrene, Edwin & Vlerick, Peter & Moreau, Michel & Mak, Rudolf P. & Kornitzer, Marcel & Backer, G.D.Guy De
July 2004, Volume 59, Issue 1
- 1-12 Material deprivation and self-rated health: a multilevel study of adolescents from 22 European and North American countries
by Torsheim, Torbjorn & Currie, Candace & Boyce, William & Kalnins, Ilze & Overpeck, Mary & Haugland, Siren
- 13-27 Evidence on equalisation in health in youth from the West of Scotland
by West, Patrick & Sweeting, Helen
- 29-38 The impact of job strain on social isolation: a longitudinal analysis of French workers
by Vézina, Michel & Derriennic, Francis & Monfort, Christine
- 39-46 Medical malpractice as an epidemiological problem
by Mello, Michelle M. & Hemenway, David
- 47-55 The threatened self: general practitioners' self-perception in relation to prescribing medicine
by Henriksen, Kristin & Hansen, Ebba Holme
- 57-68 Planning for the end of life:: the views of older people about advance care statements
by Seymour, Jane & Gott, Merryn & Bellamy, Gary & Ahmedzai, Sam H. & Clark, David
- 69-81 Multigenerational family structure in Japanese society: impacts on stress and health behaviors among women and men
by Takeda, Yasuhisa & Kawachi, Ichiro & Yamagata, Zentaro & Hashimoto, Shuji & Matsumura, Yasuhiro & Oguri, Shigenori & Okayama, Akira
- 83-91 Decision-making models in Japanese psychiatry: Transitions from passive to active patterns
by Slingsby, B. T.
- 93-102 Is patient involvement possible when decisions involve scarce resources? A qualitative study of decision-making in primary care
by Jones, Ian Rees & Berney, Lee & Kelly, Moira & Doyal, Len & Griffiths, Chris & Feder, Gene & Hillier, Sheila & Rowlands, Gillian & Curtis, Sarah
- 103-112 In motion, out of place: the public space(s) of Tourette Syndrome
by Davis, Kat Kleman & Davis, Jeffrey Sasha & Dowler, Lorraine
- 113-127 Characteristics of binge drinkers in Europe
by Kuntsche, E. & Rehm, J. & Gmel, G.
- 129-143 Social inequality and ethnic differences in smoking in New Zealand
by Barnett, Ross & Moon, Graham & Kearns, Robin
- 145-155 Physician-patient dialogue surrounding patients' expression of concern: applying sequence analysis to RIAS
by Eide, Hilde & Quera, Vicenç & Graugaard, Peter & Finset, Arnstein
- 157-162 How do health workers and community members perceive and practice community participation in the Bamako Initiative programme in Nigeria? A case study of Oji River local government area
by Uzochukwu, Benjamin S. C. & Akpala, Cyril O. & Onwujekwe, Obinna E.
- 163-183 Decentralization and public services: the case of immunization
by Khaleghian, Peyvand
- 185-198 Social, cultural and sexual behavioral determinants of observed decline in HIV infection trends: lessons from the Kagera Region, Tanzania
by Lugalla, Joe & Emmelin, Maria & Mutembei, Aldin & Sima, Mwiru & Kwesigabo, Gideon & Killewo, Japhet & Dahlgren, Lars
- 199-208 Economies of scale and scope in Vietnamese hospitals
by Weaver, Marcia & Deolalikar, Anil
- 209-219 Pushing the boundaries of outreach work: the case of needle exchange outreach programs in Canada
by Strike, Carol J. & O'Grady, Caroline & Myers, Ted & Millson, Margaret
June 2004, Volume 58, Issue 12
- 2383-2396 The Scope of pharmacy ethics--an evaluation of the international research literature, 1990-2002
by Wingfield, Joy & Bissell, Paul & Anderson, Claire
- 2397-2407 Pharmaceuticals in Australia: developments in regulation and governance
by Lofgren, Hans & Boer, Rebecca de