Childhood adversity and adult health: Evaluating intervening mechanisms
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Seeman, Teresa E. & Crimmins, Eileen & Huang, Mei-Hua & Singer, Burton & Bucur, Alexander & Gruenewald, Tara & Berkman, Lisa F. & Reuben, David B., 2004. "Cumulative biological risk and socio-economic differences in mortality: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 58(10), pages 1985-1997, May.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1993:83:7:948-954_5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Haas, Steven & Rohlfsen, Leah, 2010. "Life course determinants of racial and ethnic disparities in functional health trajectories," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 240-250, January.
- Haas, Steven, 2008. "Trajectories of functional health: The 'long arm' of childhood health and socioeconomic factors," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 66(4), pages 849-861, February.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:2003:93:10:1713-1719_6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark Hayward & Bridget Gorman, 2004. "The long arm of childhood: The influence of early-life social conditions on men’s mortality," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 41(1), pages 87-107, February.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:10.2105/ajph.2004.060749_0 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1990:80:4:446-452_8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven Haas, 2007. "The long-term effects of poor childhood health: An assessment and application of retrospective reports," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 44(1), pages 113-135, February.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1996:86:10:1370-1378_4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Warner, David F. & Brown, Tyson H., 2011. "Understanding how race/ethnicity and gender define age-trajectories of disability: An intersectionality approach," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(8), pages 1236-1248, April.
- Jenifer Hamil-Luker & Angela O’rand, 2007. "Gender differences in the link between childhood socioeconomic conditions and heart attack risk in adulthood," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 44(1), pages 137-158, February.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:2002:92:4:624-631_4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Farmer, Melissa M. & Ferraro, Kenneth F., 2005. "Are racial disparities in health conditional on socioeconomic status?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 191-204, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:oup:geronb:v:73:y:2018:i:2:p:188-197. is not listed on IDEAS
- Yang, Tse-Chuan & Chen, I-Chien & Choi, Seung-won & Kurtulus, Aysenur, 2019. "Linking perceived discrimination during adolescence to health during mid-adulthood: Self-esteem and risk-behavior mechanisms," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 232(C), pages 434-443.
- repec:oup:geronb:v:73:y:2018:i:2:p:208-218. is not listed on IDEAS
- Davillas, A.; Jones, A.M.; Benzeval, M.;, 2017.
"The income-health gradient: Evidence from self-reported health and biomarkers using longitudinal data on income,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
17/04, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Davillas, Apostolos & Jones, Andrew M. & Benzeval, Michaela, 2017. "The income-health gradient: evidence from self-reported health and biomarkers using longitudinal data on income," ISER Working Paper Series 2017-03, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Hannes Kröger & Rasmus Hoffmann & Lasse Tarkiainen & Pekka Martikainen, 2018. "Comparing Observed and Unobserved Components of Childhood: Evidence From Finnish Register Data on Midlife Mortality From Siblings and Their Parents," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 55(1), pages 295-318, February.
- Mersky, Joshua P. & Janczewski, Colleen E. & Nitkowski, Jenna C., 2018. "Poor mental health among low-income women in the U.S.: The roles of adverse childhood and adult experiences," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 206(C), pages 14-21.
- Berg, Mark T. & Simons, Ronald L. & Barr, Ashley & Beach, Steven R.H. & Philibert, Robert A., 2017. "Childhood/Adolescent stressors and allostatic load in adulthood: Support for a calibration model," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 193(C), pages 130-139.
More about this item
KeywordsUSA; Childhood adversity; Allostatic load; Self-rated health; Chronic illness; Life course; Stress; Trauma;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:156:y:2016:i:c:p:114-124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.