European Journal of Political Economy
2002, Volume 18, Issue 3
- 499-516 Extortion as an obstacle to economic growth: a dynamic game analysis
by Dawid, H. & Feichtinger, G. & Novak, A.
- 517-528 Intertemporal sustainability of fiscal policies: some tests for European countries
by Bravo, Ana Bela Santos & Silvestre, Antonio Luis
- 529-544 Comparing the growth effects of marginal vs. average tax rates and progressivity
by Padovano, Fabio & Galli, Emma
- 545-559 Voluntary environmental agreements: bargaining over more than emissions
by Grepperud, Sverre
- 561-578 On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot competition under incomplete information
by Lofaro, Andrea
- 579-595 The strategic benefit from advance production
by Poddar, Sougata & Sasaki, Dan
- 597-605 Economic analysis of police stops and searches: a critique
by Chakravarty, Shanti P.
- 607-608 Economic analysis of police stops and searches: a reply
by Borooah, Vani K.
- 609-610 Competition in Telecommunications: By Jean-Jacques Laffont and Jean Tirole (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2000): Competition and Regulation in Telecommunications: Examining Germany and America: Edited by J. Gregory Sidak, Christoph Engel and Gunter Knieps (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 2001)
by Goldstein, Eli
- 611-613 The Meltdown of the Russian State: Piroska Mohacsi Nagy, Edward Elgar publishers, Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA, 2000
by Ofer, Gur
2002, Volume 18, Issue 2
- 215-240 The cross-country pattern of corruption: economics, culture and the seesaw dynamics
by Paldam, Martin
- 241-262 Cultural evolutionary altruism: theory and evidence
by Jellal, Mohamed & Wolff, Francois-Charles
- 263-280 Costly signaling and cheap talk in models of political influence
by Austen-Smith, David & Banks, Jeffrey S.
- 281-299 Local taxes, national politics and spatial interactions in English district election results
by Revelli, Federico
- 301-315 Testing for tax smoothing in a general equilibrium model of growth
by Malley, Jim & Philippopoulos, Apostolis & Economides, George
- 317-331 Wages and the bargaining regime in a corporatist setting: the Netherlands
by Hartog, Joop & Leuven, Edwin & Teulings, Coen
- 333-344 Working time, taxation and unemployment in general equilibrium
by FitzRoy, Felix R. & Funke, Michael & Nolan, Michael A.
- 345-363 Union membership and wage formation
by Askildsen, Jan Erik & Nilsen, Oivind Anti
- 365-374 Small is beautiful: measuring the research input and output of European central banks
by Eijffinger, Sylvester C. W. & de Haan, Jakob & Koedijk, Kees
- 375-389 Nominal rigidities and the optimal rate of inflation
by Andersen, Torben M.
- 391-396 Environmental policy with endogenous domestic and trade policies: comment on Schleich: "Environmental quality with endogenous domestic and trade policies" [Eur. J. Political Economy 15 (1999) 53-71]
by Dijkstra, Bouwe R.
- 397-399 Product differentiation and network externality: a comment on Economides: "Network externalities, complementarities, and invitations to enter" [Eur. J. Political Economy 12 (1996) 211-233]
by Kim, Jaehong
- 401-404 Mainstream Mathematical Economics in the 20th Century: by Nicola, P.C. (Springer, 2000) 521 pp. ISBN 3-540-67084-X
by Davar, Ezra
- 405-406 Karl Marx's Theory of History: a Defence: by G.A. Cohen. (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2000) Revised Edition, xxviii +442
by Temin, P.
2002, Volume 18, Issue 1
- 1-29 The political economy of social security: a survey
by Galasso, Vincenzo & Profeta, Paola
- 31-46 "Make us a king": anarchy, predation, and the state
by Grossman, Herschel I.
- 47-60 Why firms pay occasional bribes: the connection economy
by Lambert-Mogiliansky, Ariane
- 61-85 Do we need a separate poverty measurement?
by Yitzhaki, Shlomo
- 87-107 Love thy neighbor: trade, migration, and social capital
by Schiff, Maurice
- 109-127 The economics of doping
by Berentsen, Aleksander
- 129-151 Resource distribution and stable alliances with endogenous sharing rules
by Noh, Suk Jae
- 153-176 Coordination on formal vs. de facto standards: a dynamic approach
by Belleflamme, Paul
- 177-192 Union structure and incentives for innovation
by Calabuig, Vicente & Gonzalez-Maestre, Miguel
- 193-208 Weekenders and workaholics
by Sampson, Anthony A.
- 209-210 The Telecommunications Act of 1996: The "Costs" of Managed Competition: Dale E. Lehman and Dennis Weisman (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, 2000. pp. x+128)
by Goldstein, Eli
- 210-213 Without a Map. Political Tactics and Economic Reform in Russia: by Andrei Shleifer and Daniel Treisman. (MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2000). pp. ix+223 ISBN: 0-262-19434-1
by Sergi, Bruno S.
2001, Volume 17, Issue 4
- 673-703 Personal goods, efficiency and the law
by Usher, Dan
- 705-721 Yardstick competition to tame the Leviathan
by Wrede, Matthias
- 723-748 Ownership, efficiency, and political interference
by Willner, Johan
- 749-777 Corruption and military spending
by Gupta, Sanjeev & de Mello, Luiz & Sharan, Raju
- 779-797 A dynamic model of fiscal reconstruction
by Ihori, Toshihiro & Itaya, Jun-ichi
- 799-815 Tax evasion and Ricardian equivalence
by Panades, Judith
- 817-833 Market collusion and the politics of protection
by Ludema, Rodney D.
- 835-852 Rent-setting in multiple winner rent-seeking contests
by Yates, Andrew J. & Heckelman, Jac C.
- 853-875 Employment effects of stabilization policies
by Agenor, Pierre-Richard
- 877-896 Managerial incentives and the decision to hire managers in markets with public and private firms
by White, Mark D.
- 897-904 Group size and the private supply of a best-shot public good
by Xu, Xiaopeng
- 905-908 Elites, Minorities and Economic Growth: Edited by Elise S. Brezis and Peter Temin. (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1999) 255 pp. (ISBN: 0 444 82848 6)
by Hefeker, Carsten
- 908-910 Charlatans or Saviours? Economists and the British Economy from Marshall to Meade: by Roger Middleton. (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK, 1998) Pp. xix, 463, [UK pound]34. ISBN 1-85898-3-904-3
by Peacock, Alan
2001, Volume 17, Issue 3
- 445-463 Who creates political business cycles: should central banks be blamed?
by Leertouwer, Erik & Maier, Philipp
- 465-491 Endogenous distribution and the political economy of trade policy
by Das, Satya P.
- 493-516 Transnational public goods: strategies and institutions
by Arce M., Daniel G. & Sandler, Todd
- 517-529 Capital tax competition with socially wasteful government consumption
by Eggert, Wolfgang
- 531-555 Multiple equilibria in government transfer policy
by Forteza, Alvaro
- 557-573 Immigration and skill formation in unionised labour markets
by Fuest, Clemens & Thum, Marcel
- 575-592 Intervention in risky export markets: insurance, strategic action or aid?
by Dewit, Gerda
- 593-607 Anti-dumping policies in the EU and trade diversion
by Brenton, Paul
- 609-631 The German political business cycle: money demand rather than monetary policy
by Berger, Helge & Woitek, Ulrich
- 633-639 The social cost of monopoly when consumers resist
by Keem, Jung Hoon
- 641-664 The Konstanz Seminar on monetary theory and policy at 30
by Fratianni, Michele & von Hagen, Jurgen
- 665-668 Political Economy in Macroeconomics: by Allan Drazen. (Princeton University Press, Princeton, 2000) 775 pp
by Harms, Philipp
- 668-672 The Political Economy of Capital Controls: by Gunther G. Schulze. (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2000) xiv + 282
by Mayer, Wolfgang
2001, Volume 17, Issue 2
- 209-232 Theoretical problems in negotiating trade liberalization
by Ethier, Wilfred J.
- 233-279 Economic and legal aspects of the Most-Favored-Nation clause
by Horn, Henrik & Mavroidis, Petros C.
- 281-325 Reciprocity, non-discrimination and preferential agreements in the multilateral trading system
by Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W.
- 327-353 The architecture of the WTO
by Lloyd, P. J.
- 355-376 Optimal international trade agreements and dispute settlement procedures
by Ludema, Rodney D.
- 377-388 Domino effects in Western European regional trade, 1960-1992
by Sapir, Andre
- 389-402 Market structure, trade liberalization and the GATS
by Francois, Joseph & Wooton, Ian
- 403-420 Do variable levies beggar thy neighbour?
by Nordstrom, Hakan
- 421-444 How should "protection" be evaluated in Article III GATT disputes?
by Neven, Damien J.
- iii-iv Introduction
by Francois, Joseph & Horn, Henrik
2001, Volume 17, Issue 1
- 1-16 Public expenditure, corruption, and economic growth: the case of Italy
by Del Monte, Alfredo & Papagni, Erasmo
- 17-37 Racial bias in police stops and searches: an economic analysis
by Borooah, Vani K.
- 39-52 A political business cycle with boundedly rational agents
by Sieg, Gernot
- 53-74 How general should the proximity model be?
by Narwa, Daniel
- 75-99 Collective bargaining in the public sector and the role of budget determination
by Falch, Torberg
- 101-116 Inflicting injury through product quality: how European antidumping policy disadvantages European producers
by Vandenbussche, Hylke & Wauthy, Xavier
- 117-137 Individually rational union membership
by Bulkley, George & Myles, Gareth D.
- 139-156 An application of the 'insider-outsider' hypothesis: categorical adjustment assistance programs in France
by Gray, David M.
- 157-162 A runoff system restores the principle of minimum differentiation
by Haan, Marco & Volkerink, Bjorn
- 163-177 Condorcet's paradox for weak preference orderings
by Lepelley, Dominique & Martin, Mathieu
- 179-192 Mathematical properties of classes of income redistributive policies
by Fellman, Johan
- 193-201 Protectionist response to import competition in declining industries reconsidered
by Choi, Jay Pil
- 203-206 Walter Hettich and Stanley L. Winer, Democratic Choice and Taxation. A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 1999)
by Aidt, Toke
- 206-207 Privatization, Restructuring, and Regulation of Network Utilities: By David M. Newbery. (Cambridge and London: The MIT Press, 1999. Pp., xvi+466)
by Goldstein, Eli
2000, Volume 16, Issue 4
- 587-609 Endogeneity in European money demand
by Arnold, Ivo J. M. & de Vries, Casper G.
- 611-638 Must we choose? European unemployment, American inequality, and the impact of education and labor market institutions
by Adsera, Alicia & Boix, Carles
- 639-654 Long-term appointment of central bankers: costs and benefits
by Lindner, Axel
- 655-671 What jackpot? The optimal lottery tax
by Beenstock, Michael & Goldin, Ephraim & Haitovsky, Yoel
- 673-683 Growth and social security: the role of human capital
by Kemnitz, Alexander & Wigger, Berthold U.
- 685-705 Political economy of eastern enlargement of the European Union: Budgetary costs and reforms in voting rules
by Kandogan, Yener
- 707-737 Spatial models of logrolling in the European Union
by Crombez, Christophe
- 739-762 Modeling political change with a regime-switching model
by Blomberg, S. Brock
- 763-773 Incomplete information as a deterrent to crime
by Marjit, Sugata & Rajeev, Meenakshi & Mukherjee, Diganta
- 775-805 The demise of commodity price agreements: the role of exchange rates and special interests
by Kofman, Paul & Viaene, Jean-Marie
- 807-827 Trade integration and the EU economic membership criteria
by Nilsson, Lars
- 829-842 British trade policy in the 19th century: a review article1
by H. O'Rourke, Kevin
- 843-845 Framing Effects in Taxation, An Empirical Study Using the German Income Tax Schedule: Stefan Traub, Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg, 1999, pp. ix, 207, DM 78.00
by Bizer, Kilian
- 846-848 General equilibrium theory: Starr, R.M. (1997). Cambridge, Cambridge University Press. 250 pp. ISBN 0-521-56473-5
by Wendner, Ronald
2000, Volume 16, Issue 3
- 367-410 The median-voter hypothesis, income inequality, and income redistribution: an empirical test with the required data
by Milanovic, Branko
- 411-427 The European Union as a country portfolio
by Goldberg, Michael A. & Levi, Maurice D.
- 429-443 Diversity and ingenuity in voluntary collective action
by Shilony, Yuval
- 445-468 Egalitarian and elitist education systems as the basis for international differences in wage inequality
by Walde, Klaus
- 469-489 Health care: private and/or public provision
by Jofre-Bonet, Mireia
- 491-508 Financial regimes, capital structure, and growth
by Arnold, Lutz & Walz, Uwe
- 509-534 The emergence of political business cycles in a two-sector general equilibrium model
by Tuinstra, Jan
- 535-545 Social status, inflation, and endogenous growth in a cash-in-advance economy
by Chang, Wen-ya & Hsieh, Yi-ni & Lai, Ching-chong
- 547-569 Marginal cost and price over the business cycle: comparative evidence from Japan and the United States
by Hart, Robert A. & Malley, James R.
- 571-573 Oskar Morgenstern on apparent price rigidity in the 1930s: a comment on Kovenock and Widdows
by Dimand, Robert W.
- 575-581 The Struggle Over the Soul of Economics: Institutionalist and Neoclassical Economists in America between the Wars: Yuval P. Yonay, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1998, xiii+290. ISBN 0-691-03419-2. $39.50
by Dimand, Robert W. & Koehn, Robert H.
- 583-586 Market integration, regionalism and the global economy: Richard E. Baldwin, Daniel Cohen, Andre Sapir, Anthony J. Venables (Eds.). Centre for Economic Policy Research and Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1999. ISBN: 0-521-641810. Hardback
by Piazolo, Daniel
2000, Volume 16, Issue 2
- 173-187 Predators, moral decay, and moral revivals
by Grossman, Herschel I. & Kim, Minseong
- 189-213 Political culture and economic decline
by Hillman, Arye L. & Ursprung, Heinrich W.
- 215-241 On the relationship between economic freedom and economic growth
by de Haan, Jakob & Sturm, Jan-Egbert
- 243-256 Private interests and government policy in a global world
by Jones, Ronald W.
- 257-271 Policy advice, secrecy, and reputational concerns
by Swank, Otto H.
- 273-286 Japanese political culture and government regulation
by Katayama, Seiichi
- 287-306 Direct democracy, political culture, and the outcome of economic policy: a report on the Swiss experience
by Feld, Lars P. & Kirchgassner, Gebhard
- 307-338 Citizen restraints on "Leviathan" government: transition politics in Bulgaria
by Koford, Kenneth
- 339-366 An essay on social capital: looking for the fire behind the smoke
by Paldam, Martin & Svendsen, Gert Tinggaard
2000, Volume 16, Issue 1
- 1-4 Why political culture should be in the lexicon of economics
by Hillman, Arye L. & Swank, Otto
- 5-29 A model of cultural transmission, voting and political ideology
by Bisin, Alberto & Verdier, Thierry
- 31-50 On the evolutionary stability of preferences for reciprocity
by Guttman, Joel M.
- 51-74 Wasteful government, tax evasion, and the provision of public goods
by Myles, Gareth D.
- 75-94 Harassment, corruption and tax policy
by Marjit, Sugata & Mukherjee, Vivekananda & Mukherjee, Arijit
- 95-111 Personal productivity and the likelihood of electoral success of political candidates
by Epstein, Gil S.
- 113-132 Corruption and institutions in Russia
by Levin, Mark & Satarov, Georgy
- 133-158 Political culture and economic performance in sub-Saharan Africa
by Rowley, Charles K.
- 159-171 Economic policy and political culture in Indonesia
by Cassing, James H.
1999, Volume 15, Issue 4
- 585-604 A theory of permissible illegal immigration
by Hillman, Arye L. & Weiss, Avi
- 605-618 Privatization, ownership structure and transparency: how to measure the true involvement of the state
by Turnovec, Frantisek
- 619-638 Country size and the voluntary provision of international public goods
by Boadway, Robin & Hayashi, Masayoshi
- 639-661 Environmental improvement with trade liberalization
by Bommer, Rolf & Schulze, Gunther G.
- 663-686 The "greening" of trade unions and the demand for eco-taxes
by Fredriksson, Per G. & Gaston, Noel
- 687-704 Fiscal illusion and the demand for government expenditures in the UK
by Gemmell, Norman & Morrissey, Oliver & Pinar, Abuzer
- 705-725 The election cycle in the inflation bias: evidence from the G-7 countries
by Gartner, Manfred
- 727-746 Growth and inequality in an endogenous fiscal policy model with taxes on labor and capital
by Fiaschi, Davide
- 747-758 Ricardian equivalence with uninformed consumers?
by Reiter, Michael
- 769-771 Book review
by Steindl, Frank G.
- 773-775 Book review
by Nurmi, Hannu
1999, Volume 15, Issue 3
- 391-415 Joint income-tax and VAT-chain evasion
by Fedeli, Silvia & Forte, Francesco
- 417-440 Determining the mix of public and private provision of insurance by majority rule
by Anderberg, Dan
- 441-462 Elections and the size of the public sector
by Katsimi, Margarita
- 463-484 Inflation or unemployment? Who cares?
by van Lelyveld, Iman
- 485-500 An empirical assessment of the impact of trade on employment in the United Kingdom
by Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C. & Wright, Peter
- 501-521 The demand for health: results from new measures of health capital
by Gerdtham, U. -G. & Johannesson, M. & Lundberg, L. & Isacson, D.
- 523-546 How reliable should auditors be?: optimal monitoring in principal-agent relationships
by Dittmann, Ingolf
- 547-567 Changing the rules: political competition under plurality and proportionality
by Mudambi, Ram & Navarra, Pietro & Sobbrio, Giuseppe
- 569-580 Fiscal policy cycles and the exchange rate regime in developing countries
by Schuknecht, Ludger
- 581-583 Book Review
1999, Volume 15, Issue 2
- 149-162 Equilibrium outcomes of Lindahl-endowment pretension games1
by Sertel, Murat R. & Sanver, M. Remzi
- 163-192 Is there a penalty to being a Catholic in Northern Ireland: an econometric analysis of the relationship between religious belief and occupational success1
by Borooah, Vani K.
- 193-205 The stability inducing propensities of very unstable coalitions: avoiding the downward spiral of majoritarian rent-seeking
by Congleton, Roger D. & Tollison, Robert D.
- 207-228 Income distribution, government transfers, and the problem of unequal influence
by Bassett, William F. & Burkett, John P. & Putterman, Louis
- 229-255 Central bank independence and the sacrifice ratio
by Jordan, Thomas J.
- 257-280 Heavy investment and high pollution as rational choices under socialism
by Ferrero, Mario
- 281-295 Indirect evolution vs. strategic delegation: a comparison of two approaches to explaining economic institutions
by Dufwenberg, Martin & Guth, Werner
- 297-310 Carrots or sticks? A social custom viewpoint on worker effort
by Chang, Juin-jen & Lai, Ching-chong
- 311-329 Environmental taxes on exhaustible resources
by Amundsen, Eirik S. & Schob, Ronnie
- 331-335 The generalized Coase Theorem and separable individual preferences: an extension
by Bernholz, Peter
- 337-358 Growth and the public sector: a critique of the critics
by Folster, Stefan & Henrekson, Magnus
- 359-366 Growth and the public sector: A reply
by Agell, Jonas & Lindh, Thomas & Ohlsson, Henry
1999, Volume 15, Issue 1
- 1-33 The impact of legislative institutions on public policy: a survey
by Moser, Peter
- 35-51 Social instability and redistribution of income
by Falkinger, Josef
- 53-71 Environmental quality with endogenous domestic and trade policies1
by Schleich, Joachim
- 73-88 Efficient environmental taxation under moral hazard
by Strand, Jon
- 89-100 Can we improve upon approval voting?
by Yilmaz, Mustafa R.
- 101-121 Competition for stars and audiences: an analysis of alternative institutional settings
by Richter, Wolfram F. & Schneider, Kerstin
- 123-140 On the incompatibility between revenue maximisation and tax progressivity1
by Hindriks, Jean
1998, Volume 14, Issue 4
- 575-585 Optimal contest design: volume and timing of rent seeking in contests
by Gradstein, Mark
- 587-603 Designing an optimal contest
by Dasgupta, Ani & Nti, Kofi O.
- 605-625 Influence and the discretionary allocation of several prizes
by Clark, Derek J. & Riis, Christian
- 627-644 The symmetric multiple prize all-pay auction with complete information
by Barut, Yasar & Kovenock, Dan
- 645-665 Asymmetric information contests
by Hurley, Terrance M. & Shogren, Jason F.
- 667-684 Complementarity in contests
by Skaperdas, Stergios & Syropoulos, Constantinos
- 685-701 Difference-form contest success functions and effort levels in contests
by Baik, Kyung Hwan
- 703-725 Cooperation by way of support in a rent seeking contest for a public good
by Dijkstra, Bouwe R.
- 727-738 Collective contests with externalities
by Lee, Sanghack & Hyeong Kang, J.
- 739-768 Collective rent seeking and division of labor1
by Hausken, Kjell
- 769-781 Effort and performance in group contests
by Nti, Kofi O.
- 783-800 An experimental examination of rational rent-seeking
by Potters, Jan & de Vries, Casper G. & van Winden, Frans
1998, Volume 14, Issue 3
- 407-432 The two concepts of money: implications for the analysis of optimal currency areas
by Goodhart, Charles A. E.
- 433-451 How high can inflation get during hyperinflation? A transaction cost demand for money approach
by Vazquez, Jesus
- 453-473 Growth, lobbying and public goods
by Mohtadi, Hamid & Roe, Terry
- 475-509 Why everybody loves Flipper: the political-economy of the U.S. dolphin-safe laws
by Korber, Achim
- 511-527 An open shop trade union model of wages, effort and membership
by Moreton, David R.
- 529-541 Source-based versus residence-based capital income taxes in a dynamic model
by Lejour, Arjan M. & Verbon, Harrie A. A.
- 543-559 The political economy of capital controls and tax policy in a small open economy
by Bjerksund, Petter & Schjelderup, Guttorm
- 561-572 The role of governmental agreements in breaking political deadlock
by Dur, Robert A. J. & Swank, Otto H.
1998, Volume 14, Issue 2
- 189-207 Unanimity and majority rule: the calculus of consent reconsidered
by Guttman, Joel M.
- 209-213 Agreement and efficiency: response to Guttman
by Buchanan, James M.
- 215-218 Reply to Guttman
by Tullock, Gordon
- 219-222 The external costs of voting rules: a note on Guttman, Buchanan, and Tullock
by Arrow, Kenneth J.
- 223-240 Towards an economic theory of party ideology
by Swank, Otto H.
- 241-263 Inflation culture, central bank independence and price stability
by Hayo, Bernd
- 265-279 Capital mobility, tax competition, and lobbying for redistributive capital taxation
by Lorz, Oliver
- 281-301 A two-stage rent-seeking contest for instrument choice and revenue division, applied to environmental policy
by Dijkstra, Bouwe R.
- 303-326 Endogenous education policy and increasing income inequality between skilled and unskilled workers
by Turrini, Alessandro
- 327-344 Growth through taxes or borrowing? A model of development traps with public capital
by Burguet, Roberto & Fernandez-Ruiz, Jorge