Journal of International Economics
1998, Volume 46, Issue 1
1998, Volume 45, Issue 2
- 191-209 Exchange rate volatility and intervention: implications of the theory of optimum currency areas
by Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry
- 211-238 International risk sharing and European monetary unification
by Sorensen, Bent E. & Yosha, Oved
- 239-258 Monetary union without fiscal coordination may discipline policymakers
by Beetsma, Roel M. W. J. & Lans Bovenberg, A.
- 259-296 Currency areas, international monetary regimes, and the employment-inflation tradeoff
by Ghironi, Fabio & Giavazzi, Francesco
- 297-321 Does an enlargement of a common market stimulate growth and convergence?
by Walz, Uwe
- 323-350 The comparison between destination and origin principles under imperfect competition
by Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal
- 351-368 The distribution of exchange rate returns and the pricing of currency options
by Lim, G. C. & Lye, J. N. & Martin, G. M. & Martin*, V. L.
- 369-376 Cost uncertainty and trade liberalization in international oligopoly
by Moner-Colonques, Rafael
1998, Volume 45, Issue 1
- 1-35 Target zones and exchange rates:: An empirical investigation
by Bekaert, Geert & Gray, Stephen F.
- 37-57 Short-term speculators and the puzzling behaviour of exchange rates
by Osler, C. L.
- 59-76 In which currency should exporters set their prices?
by Friberg, Richard
- 77-96 Intra-industry trade and strategic interaction: Theory and evidence
by Bernhofen, Daniel M.
- 97-113 Internationally mobile firms and tax policy1
by Osmundsen, P. & Hagen, K. P. & Schjelderup, G.
- 115-135 How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1
by Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W.
- 137-171 The burden of intervention: externalities in multilateral exchange rates arrangements
by Flandreau, Marc
- 173-186 Hume's specie-flow mechanism and classical monetary theory: An alternative interpretation
by Cesarano, Filippo
1998, Volume 44, Issue 2
- 181-209 Open access renewable resources: Trade and trade policy in a two-country model
by Brander, James A. & Scott Taylor, M.
- 211-229 Nontraded goods, nontraded factors, and international non-diversification
by Baxter, Marianne & Jermann, Urban J. & King, Robert G.
- 231-255 Inter-industry trade in manufactures: Does country size matter?
by Amiti, Mary
- 257-287 The international transmission of economic fluctuations:: Effects of U.S. business cycles on the Canadian economy
by Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie
- 289-313 Intranational business cycles in the United States
by Hess, Gregory D. & Shin, Kwanho
- 315-338 International R&D spillovers between U.S. and Japanese R&D intensive sectors
by Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Mohnen, Pierre
- 339-364 A currency crisis model with an optimising policymaker
by Ozkan, F. Gulcin & Sutherland, Alan
1998, Volume 44, Issue 1
- 1-19 The overvaluation of purchasing power parity
by O'Connell, Paul G. J.
- 21-44 Effective protection redux1
by Anderson, James E.
- 45-68 A pecking order of capital inflows and international tax principles
by Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & Yuen, Chi-Wa
- 69-82 Habits and durability in consumption, and the dynamics of the current account
by Mansoorian, Arman
- 83-112 Are windfalls a curse?: A non-representative agent model of the current account
by Tornell, Aaron & Lane, Philip R.
- 113-133 Intertemporal substitution in imported durables
by Lee, Jaewoo
- 135-153 Tax competition in imperfectly competitive markets
by Janeba, Eckhard
- 155-172 Government finance with currency substitution
by Sibert, Anne & Liu, Lihong
1997, Volume 43, Issue 3-4
- 263-286 Are currency crises self-fulfilling?: A test
by Jeanne, Olivier
- 287-311 Has Latin America's post-reform growth been disappointing?
by Easterly, William & Loayza, Norman & Montiel, Peter
- 313-332 Searching for stationarity: Purchasing power parity under the current float
by Papell, David H.
- 333-346 Comparative advantage under oligopoly
by Cordella, Tito & J. Gabszewicz, Jean
- 347-368 Preferential trading arrangements and industrial location
by Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J.
- 369-385 Competition for aid and trade policy
by Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis
- 387-408 Can international commodity tax harmonisation be Pareto-improving when governments supply public goods?
by Lockwood, Ben
- 409-436 Bayesian learning in an infant industry model
by Hoff, Karla
- 437-461 Exchange rate pass-through for strategic pricing and advertising: An empirical analysis of the U.S. photographic film industry
by Kadiyali, Vrinda
- 463-482 Playing by the new subsidy rules: capital subsidies as substitutes for sectoral subsidies
by Lovely, Mary E.
- 483-497 Central bank intervention and risk in the forward market
by Baillie, Richard T. & P. Osterberg, William
- 499-512 Foreign growth and domestic performance in a small open economy
by Osang, Thomas & Pereira, Alfredo
- 513-523 International trade and structural change
by Ben-David, Dan & Papell, David H.
1997, Volume 43, Issue 1-2
- 1-27 Quota licenses for imported capital equipment: Could bureaucrats ever do better than the market?
by Spencer, Barbara J.
- 29-60 Real exchange-rate prediction over long horizons
by Mark, Nelson C. & Choi, Doo-Yull
- 61-77 Destabilizing effects of exchange-rate escape clauses
by Obstfeld, Maurice
- 79-101 Has Asian export performance been unique?
by Noland, Marcus
- 103-132 Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior
by Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E.
- 133-153 Are exchange rate bands better than fixed exchange rates? The imported credibility approach
by Coles, Melvyn & Philippopoulos, Apostolis
- 155-172 Capital markets and dimension in neoclassical models of growth with trade
by Cremers, Emily T.
- 173-188 Strategic managerial delegation and trade policy
by Das, Satya P.
- 189-205 Politics and exchange rate forecasts
by Blomberg, S. Brock & Hess, Gregory D.
- 207-220 Cost heterogeneity, industry concentration and strategic trade policies
by Ngo, Van Long & Soubeyran, Antoine
- 221-236 Credit constraints and human capital accumulation in the open economy
by Cartiglia, Filippo
- 237-261 Pass-through of exchange rates and purchasing power parity
by Feenstra, Robert C. & Kendall, Jon D.
1997, Volume 42, Issue 3-4
- 249-273 When liberal policies reflect external shocks, what do we learn?
by Bartolini, Leonardo & Drazen, Allan
- 275-298 A simultaneous trade model of the foreign exchange hot potato
by Lyons, Richard K.
- 299-326 Strategic trading in a two-sided foreign exchange auction1
by Goldberg, Linda & Tenorio, Rafael
- 327-347 Inflation in open economies
by Lane, Philip R.
- 349-369 Black markets for currency, hoarding activity and policy reforms
by Goldberg, Linda S. & Karimov, Il'dar
- 371-393 Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras
by Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H.
- 395-423 Backfiring tariffs in vertically related markets
by Ishikawa, Jota & Lee, Ki-Dong
- 425-452 Tariffs and Schumpeterian growth
by Dinopoulos, Elias & Syropoulos, Constantinos
- 453-481 Growth and risk-sharing with incomplete international assets markets
by Devereux, Michael B. & Saito, Makoto
- 483-504 A theory of trade concessions
by Bac, Mehmet & Raff, Horst
- 505-515 Book reviews
by Author, A.
1997, Volume 42, Issue 1-2
- 3-31 Exporters, skill upgrading, and the wage gap
by Bernard, Andrew B. & Jensen, J. Bradford
- 33-65 Strategic trade policy with incompletely informed policymakers
by Brainard, S. Lael & Martimort, David
- 67-90 Political reform and trade policy
by Riezman, Raymond & Wilson, John Douglas
- 91-123 Multilateral tariff cooperation during the formation of customs unions
by Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W.
- 125-148 Strategic R&D policy and appropriability
by Miyagiwa, Kaz & Ohno, Yuka
- 149-165 Capital income and profit taxation with foreign ownership of firms
by Huizinga, Harry & Nielsen, Soren Bo
- 167-177 Demand elasticities, asymmetry and strategic trade policy
by Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu
- 179-193 Precautionary saving and persistent current account imbalance
by Daniel, Betty C.
- 195-220 Producer services, comparative advantage, and international trade patterns
by van Marrewijk, Charles & Stibora, Joachim & de Vaal, Albert & Viaene, Jean-Marie
- 221-237 The political economy of declining industries: Senescent industry collapse revisited
by Brainard, S. Lael & Verdier, Thierry
- 239-241 The watering of trade
by Bhagwati, Jagdish
- 247-248 Welfare analysis of tariff change with and without international transfers
by Nakanishi, Noritsugu
1996, Volume 41, Issue 3-4
- 223-234 Collapsing exchange rate regimes: Another linear example
by Flood, Robert P. & Garber, Peter M. & Kramer, Charles
- 235-264 Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of a death foretold
by Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G.
- 265-283 The Mexican peso crisis: Sudden death or death foretold?
by Sachs, Jeffrey & Tornell, Aaron & Velasco, Andres
- 285-307 Monetary policy in the end-game to exchange-rate based stabilizations: the case of Mexico
by Kamin, Steven B. & Rogers, John H.
- 309-330 A self-fulfilling model of Mexico's 1994-1995 debt crisis
by Cole, Harold L. & Kehoe, Timothy J.
- 331-349 The balance of payments and borrowing constraints: An alternative view of the Mexican crisis
by Atkeson, Andrew & Rios-Rull, Jose-Victor
- 351-366 Currency crashes in emerging markets: An empirical treatment
by Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K.
1996, Volume 41, Issue 1-2
- 1-28 Multinational firms, technology diffusion and trade
by Ethier, Wilfred J. & Markusen, James R.
- 29-51 New protectionism and multinational companies
by Sanna-Randaccio, Francesca
- 53-72 Saving-investment associations and capital mobility On the evidence from Japanese regional data
by Dekle, Robert
- 73-93 Sunspots, currency substitution, and inflationary finance
by Barnett, Richard C. & Ho, Mun S.
- 95-111 Catching up and slowing down: Learning and growth patterns in an open economy
by van Elkan, Rachel
- 113-137 International trade and the internal organization of firms: An evolutionary approach
by Friedman, Daniel & K., C. Fung
- 139-151 Debt and incentives in a dynamic context
by Fernandez-Ruiz, Jorge
- 153-177 Endogenous formation of customs unions under imperfect competition: open regionalism is good
by Sang-Seung, Yi
- 179-194 Durability and strategic trade Are there rents to be captured?
by Driskill, Robert A. & Horowitz, Andrew W.
- 195-203 Identifying the competition: A note
by Waelbroeck, Patrick
1996, Volume 40, Issue 3-4
- 251-278 Trade in ideas Patenting and productivity in the OECD
by Eaton, Jonathan & Kortum, Samuel
- 279-298 Trade and convergence among countries
by Ben-David, Dan
- 299-321 International spillovers of knowledge and sectoral productivity growth: some evidence for Canada and the United States
by Brecher, Richard A. & Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Schembri, Lawrence L.
- 323-344 High-tech R&D subsidies Estimating the effects of Sematech
by Irwin, Douglas A. & Klenow, Peter J.
- 345-371 Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States
by Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E.
- 373-409 Commercial policy and dynamic adjustment under monopolistic competition
by Keuschnigg, Christian & Kohler, Wilhelm
- 411-437 The size of trading blocs Market power and world welfare effects
by Bond, Eric W. & Syropoulos, Constantinos
- 439-457 Intertemporal substitution, imports and the permanent income model
by Amano, Robert A. & Wirjanto, Tony S.
- 477-494 Evaluating debt repurchases What are the alternatives to investment?
by Cabral, Celia C.
- 495-506 Optimal immigration, education and growth in the long run
by Shea, K. -L. & Woodfield, A. E.
1996, Volume 40, Issue 1-2
- 1-22 Coordination failures and government policy: A model with applications to East Asia and Eastern Europe
by Rodrik, Dani
- 23-39 Openness to trade in manufactures in the OECD
by Harrigan, James
- 41-66 Fiscal policy, growth, and macroeconomic performance in a small open economy
by Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 67-84 Mandated countertrade as a strategic commitment
by Ellingsen, Tore & Stole, Lars A.
- 85-104 The role of international factors in the business cycle: A multi-country study
by Norrbin, Stefan C. & Schlagenhauf, Don E.
- 105-126 Does real interest parity hold at longer maturities?
by Jorion, Philippe
- 127-148 Sleeping quotas, pre-emptive quota bidding and monopoly power
by Cunha, Luis Campos e & Santos, Vasco
- 149-163 Import now! An analysis of market-share voluntary import expansions (VIEs)
by Greaney, Theresa M.
- 165-186 Voluntary export restraints and strategic technology transfers
by Song, E. Young
- 187-207 Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade
by Feenstra, Robert C. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M.
- 209-224 A panel project on purchasing power parity: Mean reversion within and between countries
by Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K.
- 225-237 Are wholly foreign-owned enterprises better than joint ventures?
by Yu, Eden S. H. & Chi-Chur, Chao
1995, Volume 39, Issue 3-4
- 201-226 Intra-industry trade: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Ricardo approach
by Davis, Donald R.
- 227-248 How trade-related are intellectual property rights?
by Maskus, Keith E. & Penubarti, Mohan
- 249-272 Why can't countervailing duties deter export subsidization?
by Qiu, Larry D.
- 273-295 Estimating exchange market pressure and the degree of exchange market intervention for Canada
by Weymark, Diana N.
- 297-315 Welfare effects of aid under quantitative trade restrictions
by Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos, Pascalis
- 317-334 'Secret' buy-backs of LDC debt
by Cohen, Daniel & Verdier, Thierry
- 335-351 Industrial location and public infrastructure
by Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann
- 353-367 Exchange rate target zones, realignments and the interest rate differential: Theory and evidence
by Werner, Alejandro M.
- 369-382 The product cycle and the world distribution of income A reformulation
by Lai, Edwin L. C.
1995, Volume 39, Issue 1-2
- 1-25 Union wage sensitivity to trade and protection: Theory and evidence
by Gaston, Noel & Trefler, Daniel
- 27-51 An integrated model of multinational flexibility and financial hedging
by Mello, Antonio S. & Parsons, John E. & Triantis, Alexander J.
- 53-78 Trade liberalization and the dimensions of efficiency change in Mexican manufacturing industries
by Tybout, James R. & Westbrook, M. Daniel
- 79-101 Capital goods imports, the real exchange rate and the current account
by Serven, Luis
- 103-121 Information sharing and tax competition among governments
by Bacchetta, Philippe & Espinosa, Maria Paz
- 123-141 Factor endowments and the international location of production: Econometric evidence for the OECD, 1970-1985
by Harrigan, James
- 143-158 Growth, trade, and international transfers
by Fisher, Eric O'N.
- 159-173 Price dumping in intermediate good markets
by Bernhofen, Daniel M.
1995, Volume 38, Issue 3-4
- 199-222 Fundamentals uncertainty, bubbles, and exchange rate dynamics
by Ikeda, Shinsuke & Shibata, Akihisa
- 223-247 Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States
by Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah
- 249-273 Real exchange rate effects of monetary disturbances under different degrees of exchange rate flexibility: An empirical analysis
by Glick, Reuven & Kretzmer, Peter & Wihlborg, Clas
- 275-295 Optimal industrial targeting with unknown learning-by-doing
by Dinopoulos, Elias & Lewis, Tracy R. & Sappington, David E. M.
- 297-320 Investment in manufacturing, exchange rates and external exposure
by Campa, Jose & Goldberg, Linda S.
- 321-337 Who benefits from antidumping legislation?
by Anderson, Simon P. & Schmitt, Nicolas & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 339-360 Haircuts or hysteresis? Sources of movements in real exchange rates
by Rogers, John H. & Jenkins, Michael
- 361-374 State- and time-contingent switches of exchange rate regime
by Sutherland, Alan
- 375-383 Imperfect information: Some implications for modelling the exchange rate
by Roberts, Mark A.
1995, Volume 38, Issue 1-2
- 1-24 Trade blocs, currency blocs and the reorientation of world trade in the 1930s
by Eichengreen, Barry & Irwin, Douglas A.
- 25-49 Foreign investment quotas and rent extraction under uncertainty
by Bartolini, Leonardo
- 51-73 Trade liberalization, credibility and self-fulfilling failures
by Buffie, Edward F.
- 75-94 Exchange rate regimes and trade prices Does the EMS matter?
by Sapir, Andre & Sekkat, Khalid
- 95-117 Trade liberalization in a multinational-dominated industry
by Markusen, James R. & Rutherford, Thomas F. & Hunter, Linda
- 119-141 Export and output supply functions with endogenous domestic prices
by Newman, John L. & Lavy, Victor & de Vreyer, Philippe
- 143-160 Optimal tariffs and the choice of technology Discriminatory tariffs vs. the 'Most Favored Nation' clause
by Choi, Jay Pil
- 161-178 Banking on currency forecasts: How predictable is change in money?
by Chinn, Menzie D. & Meese, Richard A.
1994, Volume 37, Issue 3-4
- 141-165 Infant industry protection in the steel rail industry
by Head, Keith
- 167-195 Parallel imports, demand dispersion, and international price discrimination
by Malueg, David A. & Schwartz, Marius
- 197-218 Cost asymmetries in international subsidy games: Should governments help winners or losers?
by Neary, J. Peter
- 219-238 The organizational cost of protection
by Vousden, Neil & Campbell, Neil
- 239-247 Sources of meteor showers and heat waves in the foreign exchange market
by Hogan, Kedreth Jr. & Melvin, Michael T.
- 249-264 Tariffs for a foreign monopolist under incomplete information
by Collie, David & Hviid, Morten
- 265-268 Competitiveness, convergence, and international specialization : David Dollar and Edward Wolff (MIT press, Cambridge, MA 1993) pp. ix+228, $35.00
by Tybout, James R.
- 269-273 Sizing up U.S. export disincentives : J. David Richardson (institute for international economics, Washington, DC, 1993) pp. xii+182, $21.95
by Husted, Steven
- 273-277 Finance and development: Issues and experience : Alberto Giovannini, ed (Cambridge university press, New York, 1993) pp. ix+436, $49.50
by Levine, Ross
1994, Volume 37, Issue 1-2
- 1-27 Trade liberalization, comparative advantage, and scale economies stock market evidence from Canada
by Thompson, Aileen J.
- 29-47 Intra-NIE competition in exports of manufactures
by Muscatelli, V. A. & Stevenson, A. A. & Montagna, C.
- 49-63 Open economy macroeconomics under imperfect competition A two-country model
by Fender, John & Yip, Chong K.
- 65-80 Favoring domestic firms in procurement contracts
by Branco, Fernando
- 81-95 Adjustment costs in investment, time preferences, and the current account
by Karayalcin, Cem
- 97-110 Export subsidies and oligopoly with switching costs
by To, Theodore
- 111-122 The allocation of seigniorage in a common currency area
by Sibert, Anne
- 123-128 Poland's jump to the market economy : Jeffrey Sachs (M.I.T. Press, Cambridge, MA, 1993) pp. vi, 154, $19.95
by Wellisz, Stanislaw
- 128-131 Antidumping: how it works and who gets hurt : J. Michael Finger, ed., (Studies in International Trade Policy, The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, 1993) pp. xiv + 267, $29.95
by Hindley, Brian
- 131-134 Studies in international taxation : Alberto Giovannini, R. Glenn Hubbard and Joel Slemrod, eds., (University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1993) pp. ix + 330, $55.00
by Mutti, John
- 135-139 Japanese monetary policy : Kenneth J. Singleton, ed., (University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1993) pp. ix + 195, $35.00
by Kashyap, Anil K.
1994, Volume 36, Issue 3-4
- 201-222 Trade adjustment assistance and Pareto gains from trade
by Feenstra, Robert C. & Lewis, Tracy R.
- 223-238 Pareto gains from trade, reconsidered : Compensating for jobs lost
by Brecher, Richard A. & Choudhri, Ehsan U.
- 239-261 Trade adjustment assistance : Welfare and incentive effects of payments to displaced workers
by Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J.
- 263-287 Risk-sharing, adjustment, and trade
by Dixit, Avinash & Rob, Rafael
- 289-307 Sustaining policy cooperation between economies of different size
by Jensen, Henrik
- 309-331 Incentive compatible regulation of a foreign-owned subsidiary
by Gresik, Thomas A. & Nelson, Douglas R.
- 333-354 Optimal strategic trade policy under asymmetric information
by Qui, Larry D.
- 355-372 Bid--ask spreads and volatility in the foreign exchange market : An empirical analysis
by Bollerslev, Tim & Melvin, Michael
- 373-389 The real exchange rate and foreign direct investment in the United States : Relative wealth vs. relative wage effects
by Klein, Michael W. & Rosengren, Eric
- 391-411 The 'procompetitive' effects of trade policy reform in a small, open economy
by Hertel, Thomas W.
- 413-430 Predicting exchange rate crises : Mexico revisited
by Goldberg, Linda S.
- 431-447 Market-share quotas
by Reitzes, James D. & Grawe, Oliver R.
- 449-465 Nationalizing to liberalize : Credibility in trade liberalization
by Srivastava, Pradeep
- 467-481 How long do unilateral target zones last?
by Dumas, Bernard & Svensson, Lars E. O.
- 483-500 Optimal trade taxes in the presence of foreign ownership and equity exchanges
by Takemori, Shumpei & Tsumagari, Masatoshi
- 501-506 Trade and protectionism : Takatoshi Ito and Anne O. Kruegers, eds., (University of Chicago Press, Chicago, for the National Bureau of Economic Research, 1993) pp.449, $68
by Fung, K. C.
- 506-510 Economic policies at cross purposes: the United States and developing countries : Anne O. Kreuger (The Brookings Institution, Washington, DC, 1993) pp. 251, $24.95
by Velasco, Andres
- 510-513 The 1992 Princeton essays and studies in international finance: a review : (Department of Economics, International Finance Section, Princeton University, Princeton University Press), $6.50-$9.00
by Popper, Helen
1994, Volume 36, Issue 1-2
- 1-27 A reexamination of the neoclassical trade model under uncertainty
by Hoff, Karla
- 29-52 Exchange rate volatility and deviations from unbiasedness in a cash-in-advance model
by Bekaert, Geert
- 53-73 Productivity, imperfect competition and trade reform : Theory and evidence
by Harrison, Ann E.
- 75-97 Exchange rate determination and asset prices in a stochastic small open economy
by Grinols, Earl L. & Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 99-116 Foreign exchange liberalization and the viability of a fixed exchange regime
by Park, Daekeun
- 117-131 EC members fighting about surplus VERs, FDI and Japanese cars
by Flam, Harry
- 133-150 The sensitivity of strategic and corrective R&D policy in oligopolistic industries
by Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W.
- 151-165 Can the Markov switching model forecast exchange rates?
by Engel, Charles
- 167-175 The possibility of factor price equalization, revisited
by Deardorff, Alan V.
- 177-186 Monopoly and trade policy
by Kowalczyk, Carsten