Regional versus individual aspects of the digital divide in Germany
This paper analyzes the regional dimension of the German digital divide. It considers the impact of regional characteristics on differences in the share of Internet use between German counties. In addition, it studies the influence of regional factors as well as individual characteristics on the individual probability of becoming a new Internet user. Based on two large data sets, SOEP and INKAR, the analyses show that it is not the rusticity of a region itself that explains regional differences in Internet use. The results rather indicate that it is the different composition of the population between rural and urban areas that accounts for the regional digital divide.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bradford F. Mills & Brian E. Whitacre, 2003. "Understanding the Non-Metropolitan-Metropolitan Digital Divide," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 219-243.
- Sylvia E. Korupp & Harald Künemund & Jürgen Schupp, 2006. "Digitale Spaltung in Deutschland: geringere Bildung - seltener am PC," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 73(19), pages 289-294.
- Entorf, Horst & Gollac, Michel & Kramarz, Francis, 1997.
"New Technologies, Wages and Worker Selection,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1761, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Austan Goolsbee & Peter J. Klenow, 1999.
"Evidence on Learning and Network Externalities in the Diffusion of Home Computers,"
NBER Working Papers
7329, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goolsbee, Austan & Klenow, Peter J, 2002. "Evidence on Learning and Network Externalities in the Diffusion of Home Computers," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 317-43, October.
- Goldfarb, Avi, 2006. "The (teaching) role of universities in the diffusion of the Internet," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 203-225, March.
- Oecd, 2001. "Understanding the Digital Divide," OECD Digital Economy Papers 49, OECD Publishing.
- Borghans,Lex & Weel,Bas,ter, 2002. "Do Older Workers Have More Trouble Using a Computer Than Younger Workers?," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.