Competence, knowledge, and the labour market: the role of complementarities
This paper develops a theoretical analysis of training regimes as outcomes of a complementarity between organizational and institutional factors that determine firms' and workers' incentives as regards skills. Specifically, the paper proposes that, on the one hand, knowledge embeddedness within firms is the determinant of firms' preferences concerning training, while, on the other, labor market institutionalization provides the framework for workers' preferences. Applying a criterion of coherence between firm and worker incentives, two stable configurations are singled out. The former is shown to correspond to the Japanese model of training, while the latter conforms more to the German experience.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Reichpietschufer 50, 10785 Berlin, Germany|
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1998.
"The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1999. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 539-572, June.
- Acemoglu, D. & Pischke, J.S., 1997. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Working papers 97-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1998. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," NBER Working Papers 6357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gatti, Donatella, 2000. "Unemployment and Innovation Patterns: The Critical Role of Coordination," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(3), pages 521-44, September.
- Masahiko Aoki, 2013.
"Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm,"
in: Comparative Institutional Analysis, chapter 5, pages 57-58
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1986. "Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 971-83, December.
- Gary S. Becker, 1962. "Investment in Human Capital: A Theoretical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70, pages 9.
- Gatti Donatella, 1999. "Equilibrium Unemployment, the Nature of Competence, the Organization of the Firm," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 13-34.
- Finegold, David & Soskice, David, 1988. "The Failure of Training in Britain: Analysis and Prescription," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(3), pages 21-53, Autumn.
- Alice Lam, 1998. "Tacit Knowledge, Organisational Learning and Innovation A Societal Perspective," DRUID Working Papers 98-22, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- David Soskice, 1994. "Reconciling Markets and Institutions: The German Apprenticeship System," NBER Chapters, in: Training and the Private Sector: International Comparisons, pages 25-60 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Berg, 1994. "Strategic Adjustments in Training: A Comparative Analysis of the U.S. and German Automobile Industries," NBER Chapters, in: Training and the Private Sector: International Comparisons, pages 77-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francois Eyraud & David Marsden & Jean-Jacques Silvestre, 1990. "Occupational and internal labour markets in Britain and France," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 21305, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Hildegard Brauns & Susanne Steinmann & Annick Kieffer & Catherine Marry, 1997. "Does Education matter? France and Germany in Comparative Perspective," MZES Working Papers 20, MZES.
- Franz, Wolfgang & Soskice, David W., 1994. "The German apprenticeship system," Discussion Papers 11, University of Konstanz, Center for International Labor Economics (CILE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzbece:fsi00302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.