International antitrust institutions
The paper discussed the economic theory of international antitrust institutions. Economic theory shows that non-coordinated competition policies of regimes that are territorially smaller than the international markets on which business companies compete violate cross-border allocative efficiency and are deficient with respect to global welfare. At the same time, some diversity of antitrust institutions and policies promotes dynamic and evolutionary efficiency so that globally binding, worldwide homogenous competition rules do not represent a first-best solution either. After reviewing the existing international antitrust institutions and their prospects and limits from an economic perspective (with a focus on the International Competition Network, ICN), the paper discusses reform proposals from economic literature.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (0049) (0)3677 69 4001|
Phone: 0 36 77 / 69 - 40 30
Fax: (0049) (0)3677 69 4200
Web page: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Heyer, 2006. "Welfare Standards and Merger Analysis: Why Not the Best?," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 2, pages -.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-1123, November.
- Smets, Hilde & van Cayseele, Patrick, 1995. "Competing merger policies in a common agency framework," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 425-441, December.
- Kenneth Heyer, 2006. "Welfare Standards and Merger Analysis: Why not the Best?," EAG Discussions Papers 200608, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Oliver Budzinski, 2004. "The International Competition Network as an International Merger Control Institution," Chapters, in: International Institutions and Multinational Enterprises, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Florian Muller & Christian Wey & Justus Haucap, 2006. "How to Reduce Conflicts over International Antitrust?," Conferences on New Political Economy, in: Max Albert & Stefan Voigt & Dieter Schmidtchen (ed.), Conferences on New Political Economy, edition 1, volume 23, pages 307-338(3 Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen.
- Oliver Budzinski, 2009.
"An International Multilevel Competition Policy System,"
83/09, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Budzinski, Oliver, 2007. "An international multilevel competition policy system," IBES Diskussionsbeiträge 159, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of Business and Economic Studie (IBES).
- Choi, Jay Pil & Gerlach, Heiko, 2012.
"Global cartels, leniency programs and international antitrust cooperation,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 528-540.
- Jay Pil Choi & Heiko Gerlach, 2010. "Global Cartels, Leniency Programs and International Antitrust Cooperation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3005, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oliver Budzinski, 2009. "An international multilevel competition policy system," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 367-389, December.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1990. "The limits to competition between economic regimes," Munich Reprints in Economics 19845, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Jan Loecker & Jozef Konings & Patrick Cayseele, 2008. "Merger Review: How Much of Industry is Affected in an International Perspective?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999.
"The Competition Between Competition Rules,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tay, Abigail & Willmann, Gerald, 2005. "Why (no) global competition policy is a tough choice," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 312-324, May.
- Ross, Thomas W., 1988. "On the price effects of mergers with freer trade," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 233-246.
- Cabral, Luís M B, 2003.
"An Equilibrium Approach to International Merger Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3878, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cabral, Luis M.B., 2005. "An equilibrium approach to international merger policy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 739-751, December.
- Luis M. B. Cabral, 2003. "An Equilibrium Approach to International Merger Policy," Working Papers 03-25, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Wolfgang Kerber, "undated". "An International Multi-Level System of Competition Laws: Federalism in Antitrust," German Working Papers in Law and Economics 2003-1-1065, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Tirole, J., 1993.
"The Internal Organization of Government,"
93-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Budzinski, Oliver, 2007.
"Monoculture versus diversity in competition economics,"
158, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of Business and Economic Studie (IBES).
- Oliver Budzinski, 2008. "Monoculture versus diversity in competition economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 295-324, March.
- Easterbrook, Frank H, 1983. "Antitrust and the Economics of Federalism," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 23-50, April.
- Motta Massimo & Ruta Michele, 2008. "Mergers and National Champions," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 245-270.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuiedp:72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.