International antitrust institutions
The paper discussed the economic theory of international antitrust institutions. Economic theory shows that non-coordinated competition policies of regimes that are territorially smaller than the international markets on which business companies compete violate cross-border allocative efficiency and are deficient with respect to global welfare. At the same time, some diversity of antitrust institutions and policies promotes dynamic and evolutionary efficiency so that globally binding, worldwide homogenous competition rules do not represent a first-best solution either. After reviewing the existing international antitrust institutions and their prospects and limits from an economic perspective (with a focus on the International Competition Network, ICN), the paper discusses reform proposals from economic literature.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (0049) (0)3677 69 4001|
Phone: 0 36 77 / 69 - 40 30
Fax: (0049) (0)3677 69 4200
Web page: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver Budzinski, 2009.
"An international multilevel competition policy system,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 367-389, December.
- Budzinski, Oliver, 2007. "An international multilevel competition policy system," IBES Diskussionsbeiträge 159, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of Business and Economic Studie (IBES).
- Oliver Budzinski, 2009. "An International Multilevel Competition Policy System," Working Papers 83/09, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Ken Heyer, 2006. "Welfare Standards and Merger Analysis: Why Not the Best?," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 2.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1999. "The Competition Between Competition Rules," CEPR Discussion Papers 2214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "The Competition Between Competition Rules," NBER Working Papers 7273, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1999. "The Competition between Competition Rules," CESifo Working Paper Series 192, CESifo Group Munich.
- Smets, Hilde & van Cayseele, Patrick, 1995. "Competing merger policies in a common agency framework," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 425-441, December.
- Tirole, Jean, 1994. "The Internal Organization of Government," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Tirole, J., 1993. "The Internal Organization of Government," Working papers 93-11, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jan Loecker & Jozef Konings & Patrick Cayseele, 2008. "Merger Review: How Much of Industry is Affected in an International Perspective?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Patrick Van Cayseele & Jozef Konings & Jan De Loecker, 2003. "Merger Review: How much of Industry is Affected in an International Perspective ?," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0315, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Easterbrook, Frank H, 1983. "Antitrust and the Economics of Federalism," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 23-50, April.
- Cabral, Luis M.B., 2005. "An equilibrium approach to international merger policy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 739-751, December.
- Luis M. B. Cabral, 2003. "An Equilibrium Approach to International Merger Policy," Working Papers 03-25, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Cabral, Luís M B, 2003. "An Equilibrium Approach to International Merger Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 3878, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1990. "The limits to competition between economic regimes," Munich Reprints in Economics 19845, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Motta Massimo & Ruta Michele, 2008. "Mergers and National Champions," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 245-270.
- Choi, Jay Pil & Gerlach, Heiko, 2012. "Global cartels, leniency programs and international antitrust cooperation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 528-540.
- Jay Pil Choi & Heiko Gerlach, 2010. "Global Cartels, Leniency Programs and International Antitrust Cooperation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3005, CESifo Group Munich.
- Oliver Budzinski, 2004. "The International Competition Network as an International Merger Control Institution," Chapters,in: International Institutions and Multinational Enterprises, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Oliver Budzinski, 2008. "Monoculture versus diversity in competition economics," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(2), pages 295-324, March.
- Budzinski, Oliver, 2007. "Monoculture versus diversity in competition economics," IBES Diskussionsbeiträge 158, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of Business and Economic Studie (IBES).
- Tay, Abigail & Willmann, Gerald, 2005. "Why (no) global competition policy is a tough choice," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 312-324, May.
- Florian Muller & Christian Wey & Justus Haucap, 2006. "How to Reduce Conflicts over International Antitrust?," Conferences on New Political Economy,in: Max Albert & Stefan Voigt & Dieter Schmidtchen (ed.), Conferences on New Political Economy, edition 1, volume 23, pages 307-338(3 Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen.
- Kenneth Heyer, 2006. "Welfare Standards and Merger Analysis: Why not the Best?," EAG Discussions Papers 200608, Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.
- Ross, Thomas W., 1988. "On the price effects of mergers with freer trade," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 233-246.
- Wolfgang Kerber, "undated". "An International Multi-Level System of Competition Laws: Federalism in Antitrust," German Working Papers in Law and Economics 2003-1-1065, Berkeley Electronic Press.
- Levenstein, Margaret & Suslow, Valerie Y. & Oswald, Lynda J., 2003. "Contemporary International Cartels And Developing Countries: Economic Effects And Implications For Competition Policy," Working Papers 14590, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-1123, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)