Role of "Lead Market" factors in globalization of innovation: Emerging evidence from India & its implications
Access to lead markets is generally regarded as an important driver of the increasing globalization of innovation since these are considered to be early indicators for emerging customer needs. They are traditionally thought to exist in economies with high per capita income, sophisticated markets and high international visibility. We, however, propose that there is an increasing evidence of lead market tendencies in some emerging economies, e.g. India. We undertake a literature review to crystallize the need for an update/extension of the existing model to better reflect the changed ground realities and propose that factors such as voluminous markets, strong technological capabilities, and favorable government policies may be able to offset some of the disadvantages rooted in traditional deficiencies of developing economies. Engaging a developing country lead market may be useful for firms in securing better access to markets at the bottom of the economic pyramid, worldwide.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schwarzenbergstraße 95, 21073 Hamburg|
Phone: +49/ (0)40/ 42878 - 3777
Fax: +49/ (0)40/ 42878 - 2867
Web page: http://www.tu-harburg.de/tim/index_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dieter Ernst, 2002.
"Global production networks and the changing geography of innovation systems. Implications for developing countries,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 497-523.
- Dieter Ernst, 2000. "Global Production Networks and the Changing Geography of Innovation Systems: Implications for Developing Countries," Economics Study Area Working Papers 09, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Pietro Moncada-Paternò-Castello & Marco Vivarelli & Peter Voigt, 2011. "Drivers and impacts in the globalization of corporate R&D: an introduction based on the European experience," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 585-603, April.
- Moncada-Paternò-Castello, Pietro & Vivarelli, Marco & Voigt, Peter, 2011. "Drivers and Impacts in the Globalization of Corporate R&D: An Introduction Based on the European Experience," IZA Discussion Papers 5582, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frédérique Sachwald, 2008. "Location choices within global innovation networks: the case of Europe," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 364-378, August.
- Rennings Klaus & Smidt Wilko, 2010. "A Lead Market Approach towards the Emergence and Diffusion of Coal-Fired Power Plant Technology," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 303-328.
- Rennings, Klaus & Smidt, Wilko, 2008. "A Lead Market Approach Towards the Emergence and Diffusion of Coal-fired Power Plant Technology," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-058, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Michie, Jonathan, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: A New Taxonomy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 121-140, February.
- Ambos, Bjorn, 2005. "Foreign direct investment in industrial research and development: A study of German MNCs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 395-410, May.
- Beise, Marian & Rennings, Klaus, 2005. "Lead markets and regulation: a framework for analyzing the international diffusion of environmental innovations," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 5-17, January.
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver, 2002. "Market versus technology drive in R&D internationalization: four different patterns of managing research and development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 569-588, May.
- Gassmann, Oliver & von Zedtwitz, Maximilian, 1999. "New concepts and trends in international R&D organization," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 231-250, March.
- Marian Beise & Heike Belitz, 1998. "Trends in the Internationalisation of R&D - the German Perspective," Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung / Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 67(2), pages 67-85.
- Marian Beise & Heike Belitz, 1998. "Trends in the Internationalisation of R&D: The German Perspective," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 167, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Iammarino, Simona, 1999. "The policy implications of the globalisation of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 317-336, March.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1999. "Innovative output, and a firm's propensity to patent.: An exploration of CIS micro data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 615-624, August.
- Nagesh KUMAR, 2008. "Internationalization of Indian Enterprises: Patterns, Strategies, Ownership Advantages, and Implications," Asian Economic Policy Review, Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 3(2), pages 242-261.
- Nagesh Kumar, 2008. "Internationalization of Indian Enterprises : Patterns, Strategies, Ownership Advantages and Implications," Microeconomics Working Papers 22113, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Tiwari, Rajnish & Herstatt, Cornelius, 2009. "The emergence of Indian multinationals: An empirical study of motives, status-quo and trends of Indian investments in Germany," Working Papers 56, Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH), Institute for Technology and Innovation Management.
- Cantwell, John, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: What Remains of the Product Cycle Model?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 155-174, February.
- Duysters, Geert & Hagedoorn, John, 1996. "Internationalization of corporate technology through strategic partnering: an empirical investigation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-12, January.
- Stephan Buse & Rajnish Tiwari & Cornelius Herstatt, 2010. "Global Innovation: An Answer To Mitigate Barriers To Innovation In Small And Medium-Sized Enterprises?," International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management (IJITM), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(03), pages 215-227.
- Bernhard Dachs & Andreas Pyka, 2010. "What drives the internationalisation of innovation? Evidence from European patent data," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 71-86. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuhtim:64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.