Native Welfare Losses from High Skilled Immigration
This paper explores the effects of high skilled immigration to a host country with unionized low skilled labor and an unemployment insurance scheme. We show that such immigration can create a negative immigration surplus due to adverse effects on low skilled employment, provided that the elasticity between high and low skilled labor is high as empirical evidence suggests.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: http://www.tu-dresden.de/wiwi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wolfgang Eggert & Tim Krieger & Volker Meier, 2009.
"Education, unemployment and migration,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Paper Nr. 78, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Tim Krieger & Volker Meier, 2007. "Education, Unemployment and Migration," CESifo Working Paper Series 2119, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eggert, Wolfgang & Krieger, Tim & Meier, Volker, 2010. "Education, unemployment and migration," Munich Reprints in Economics 20561, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Tim Krieger & Volker Meier, 2009. "Education, unemployment and migration," Working Papers CIE 7, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- George J. Borjas & Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008. "Imperfect Substitution between Immigrants and Natives: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 13887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George E. Johnson, 1997. "Changes in Earnings Inequality: The Role of Demand Shifts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 41-54, Spring.
- Nicolas Schmitt & Antoine Soubeyran, 2005.
"A Simple Model of Brain Circulation,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1484, CESifo Group Munich.
- Holger Bonin & Bernd Raffelhüschen & Jan Walliser, 2000.
"Can Immigration Alleviate the Demographic Burden?,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(1), pages 1-, September.
- Kjetil Storesletten, .
"Sustaining Fiscal Policy Through Immigration,"
_005, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux, 2001.
"Can Falling Supply Explain The Rising Return To College For Younger Men? A Cohort-Based Analysis,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(2), pages 705-746, May.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux, 2000. "Can Falling Supply Explain the Rising Return to College for Younger Men? A Cohort-Based Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David E. Wildasin, 2000. "Labor-Market Integration, Investment in Risky Human Capital, and Fiscal Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 73-95, March.
- Chiswick, Barry R., 2005. "High Skilled Immigration in the International Arena," IZA Discussion Papers 1782, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Poutvaara, Panu, 2000.
"Education, mobility of labour and tax competition,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19303, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Alexander Haupt & Eckhard Janeba, 2004.
"Education, Redistribution, and the Threat of Brain Drain,"
NBER Working Papers
10618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Haupt & Eckhard Janeba, 2009. "Education, redistribution and the threat of brain drain," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Hamada, Koichi, 1974. "The brain drain, international integration of markets for professionals and unemployment : A theoretical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-42, April.
- Michael S. Michael, 2006. "Are Migration Policies that Induce Skilled (Unskilled) Migration Beneficial (Harmful) for the Host Country?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1814, CESifo Group Munich.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1999. "Migration and pension with international capital mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 141-150, October.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Konrad, Kai A, 2003. "Globalization and Risky Human-Capital Investment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 211-28, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:1607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.