Native Welfare Losses from High Skilled Immigration
This paper explores the effects of high skilled immigration to a host country with unionized low skilled labor and an unemployment insurance scheme. We show that such immigration can create a negative immigration surplus due to adverse effects on low skilled employment, provided that fiscal redistribution is not too intense and the elasticity between high and low skilled labor is high as empirical evidence suggests.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux, 2001.
"Can Falling Supply Explain The Rising Return To College For Younger Men? A Cohort-Based Analysis,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 116(2), pages 705-746, May.
- David Card & Thomas Lemieux, 2000. "Can Falling Supply Explain the Rising Return to College for Younger Men? A Cohort-Based Analysis," NBER Working Papers 7655, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eggert, Wolfgang & Krieger, Tim & Meier, Volker, 2010.
"Education, unemployment and migration,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20561, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Tim Krieger & Volker Meier, 2007. "Education, Unemployment and Migration," CESifo Working Paper Series 2119, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Tim Krieger & Volker Meier, 2009. "Education, unemployment and migration," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper Nr. 78, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Wolfgang Eggert & Tim Krieger & Volker Meier, 2009. "Education, unemployment and migration," Working Papers CIE 7, University of Paderborn, CIE Center for International Economics.
- Chiswick, Barry R., 2005. "High Skilled Immigration in the International Arena," IZA Discussion Papers 1782, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kjetil Storesletten, .
"Sustaining Fiscal Policy Through Immigration,"
_005, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Holger Bonin & Bernd Raffelhüschen & Jan Walliser, 2000.
"Can Immigration Alleviate the Demographic Burden?,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 57(1), pages 1-, September.
- Alexander Haupt & Eckhard Janeba, 2009.
"Education, redistribution and the threat of brain drain,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Alexander Haupt & Eckhard Janeba, 2004. "Education, Redistribution, and the Threat of Brain Drain," NBER Working Papers 10618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersson, Fredrik & Konrad, Kai A, 2003. "Globalization and Risky Human-Capital Investment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 211-28, May.
- George E. Johnson, 1997. "Changes in Earnings Inequality: The Role of Demand Shifts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 41-54, Spring.
- Schmitt, Nicolas & Soubeyran, Antoine, 2006.
"A simple model of brain circulation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 296-309, July.
- David E. Wildasin, 2000. "Labor-Market Integration, Investment in Risky Human Capital, and Fiscal Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 73-95, March.
- Michael S. Michael, 2006. "Are Migration Policies that Induce Skilled (Unskilled) Migration Beneficial (Harmful) for the Host Country?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1814, CESifo Group Munich.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1999. "Migration and pension with international capital mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 141-150, October.
- Panu Poutvaara, 2000.
"Education, Mobility of Labour and Tax Competition,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 7(6), pages 699-719, December.
- George J. Borjas & Jeffrey Grogger & Gordon H. Hanson, 2008. "Imperfect Substitution between Immigrants and Natives: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 13887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish & Hamada, Koichi, 1974. "The brain drain, international integration of markets for professionals and unemployment : A theoretical analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-42, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.