The drivers of the substitution of individual services for bundled services: The case of Spain
In 2007, Spanish telecoms companies began to offer bundled services. Operators started by offering phone plus broadband and phone plus broadband plus pay television bundles, and in doing so, were able to reduce aggregated prices for consumers. In addition to monetary incentives, this study examines the causes that lead consumers (individuals) and households (as economic agents) to replace individual contracts with bundled contracts including more (or fewer) services from those previously subscribed to individually. A model of demand of access to household and individual services was estimated for three services: landline phone, Internet, and pay television using a representative panel of telecoms consumers in Spain. The results show –in decreasing order- the influence of previous experience with particular services, followed by factors related to usage and factors linked with socio-demographic characteristics. Monetary incentives -contrary to common belief- play a significant but minor role.
|Date of creation:||2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Srinuan, Pratompong & Srinuan, Chalita & Bohlin, Erik, 2014. "An empirical analysis of multiple services and choices of consumer in the Swedish telecommunications market," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 449-459.
- Calzada, Joan & Martínez-Santos, Fernando, 2014.
"Broadband prices in the European Union: Competition and commercial strategies,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 24-38.
- Calzada, Joan & Martínez, Fernando, 2012. "Broadband prices in the European Union: Competition and commercial strategies," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60382, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Joan Calzada & Fernando Martínez, 2013. "“Broadband prices in the European Union: competition and commercial strategies”," IREA Working Papers 201309, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2013.
- Yang, Bibo & Ng, C.T., 2010. "Pricing problem in wireless telecommunication product and service bundling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(1), pages 473-480, November.
- Arellano, Manuel & Honore, Bo, 2001. "Panel data models: some recent developments," Handbook of Econometrics,in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 53, pages 3229-3296 Elsevier.
- Arellano, M. & Honore, B., 2000. "Panel Data Models: Some Recent Developments," Papers 0016, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Manuel Arellano & Olympia Bover, 1990. "La econometría de datos de panel," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 14(1), pages 3-45, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse15:127187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.