Structure of technology evolution: The way on which ICT industry emerged in Korea
The role of ICT in the economic growth in Korea is a great attraction to the telecommunication society interested in the relationship among ICT, innovation policy and economic growth. However, prior research concentrates on investigating the effect of policy on innovation and economic growth, but misses the mechanism how a policy affects the technological system which interacts with public institutes, universities and private firms. In this paper, we analyze the structure of technology evolution in Korea with empirical data of patents to understand the prosperity of ICT sector in Korea. To do so, we define a technology network, or a set of nodes and links, representing technology fields and the relations between the fields, respectively, and measure the network topology and position per year between 1970 and 2010. Our results propose that the technology network maintains the scalefree topology, but the entities of the hub positions are gradually replaced emerging entities on the invariant network topology. Our findings are expected to motivate ICT innovation studies to understand the evolutionary mechanism of ICT industry in the systematic perspective of technology, and improve the policy of ICT innovation.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nagano, Mamoru, 2006. "R&D investment and the government's R&D policies of electronics industries in Korea and Taiwan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 653-666, October.
- Barabási, A.L & Jeong, H & Néda, Z & Ravasz, E & Schubert, A & Vicsek, T, 2002. "Evolution of the social network of scientific collaborations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 311(3), pages 590-614.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000.
"The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2000-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages -.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The Resurgence of Growth in the Late 1990s: Is Information Technology the Story?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 3-22, Fall.
- Shin, Juneseuk & Park, Yongtae, 2007. "Building the national ICT frontier: The case of Korea," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 249-277, June.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2008.
"A Retrospective Look at the U.S. Productivity Growth Resurgence,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 3-24, Winter.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2007. "A retrospective look at the U.S. productivity growth resurgence," Staff Reports 277, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Junseok Hwang & Jorn Altmann & Kibae Kim, 2009. "The Structural Evolution of the Web2.0 Service Network," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200914, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
- Choung, Jae-Yong & Hameed, Tahir & Ji, Illyong, 2012. "Catch-up in ICT standards: Policy, implementation and standards-setting in South Korea," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(4), pages 771-788.
- Frank M. Bass, 1969. "A New Product Growth for Model Consumer Durables," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 215-227, January.
- Cantwell, John & Vertova, Giovanna, 2004. "Historical evolution of technological diversification," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 511-529, April.
- Jung, Hyun-Joon & Na, Kyoung-Youn & Yoon, Chang-Ho, 2013. "The role of ICT in Korea’s economic growth: Productivity changes across industries since the 1990s," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 292-310.
- Wagner, Caroline S. & Leydesdorff, Loet, 2005. "Network structure, self-organization, and the growth of international collaboration in science," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 1608-1618, December.
- Yang, Joon-Mo & Kim, Tae-Wan & Han, Hyun-Ok, 2006. "Understanding the economic development of Korea from a co-evolutionary perspective," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 601-621, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse13:88508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.