Where should governments invest? The impact of economic, political, social and technological factors on the formation of new firms
The purpose of this paper is to identify the factors that affect the creation of new firms. We take into consideration economic, political, social and technological factors which should also help governments realize the areas that we found to have the greatest impact. The study relies on data from international organizations from which we construct an ordered probit statistical analysis. The results indicate that investments in both ICT and education enhance the probability of generating new business.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989.
"Quality Ledders In The Theory Of Growth,"
148, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Milo Bianchi, 2010.
"Credit constraints, entrepreneurial talent, and economic development,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 93-104, January.
- Bianchi, Milo, 2010. "Credit constraints, entrepreneurial talent, and economic development," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5381, Paris Dauphine University.
- Milo Bianchi, 2010. "Credit Constraints, Entrepreneurial Talent, and Economic Development," Post-Print halshs-00636002, HAL.
- Bianchi, Milo, 2009. "Credit Constraints, Entrepreneurial Talent, and Economic Development," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:87:y:1973:i:3:p:355-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 2005. "Financial and Legal Constraints to Growth: Does Firm Size Matter?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 137-177, 02.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gillett, Sharon E. & Lehr, William H. & Osorio, Carlos, 0. "Local government broadband initiatives," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7-8), pages 537-558, August.
- Lettau, Martin & Ludvigson, Sydney, 2002.
"Time-varying risk premia and the cost of capital: An alternative implication of the Q theory of investment,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 31-66, January.
- Lettau, Martin & Ludvigson, Sydney, 2001. "Time-Varying Risk Premia and the Cost of Capital: An Alternative Implication of the Q Theory of Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3103, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mancur Olson, 1996. "Distinguished Lecture on Economics in Government: Big Bills Left on the Sidewalk: Why Some Nations Are Rich, and Others Poor," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 3-24, Spring.
- Marc Bendick & Jr & Mary L. Egan, 1987. "Transfer payment diversion for small business development: British and French experience," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 40(4), pages 528-542, July.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Saul Estrin & Ruta Aidis & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007.
"Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: A Comparative Perspective,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp867, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Aidis, Ruta & Estrin, Saul & Mickiewicz, Tomasz, 2008. "Institutions and entrepreneurship development in Russia: A comparative perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 656-672, November.
- Ruta Aidis & Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia:A Comparative Perspective," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 07-03, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Ruta Aidis, & Saul Estrin & Tomasz Mickiewicz, 2007. "Institutions and Entrepreneurship Development in Russia: A Comparative Perspective," Working Papers 79 Key Words: Entrepreneu, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Owen A. Lamont, 2000.
"Investment Plans and Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2719-2745, December.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:107:y:1992:i:2:p:407-37 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ayyagari, Meghana & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 2011. "Small vs. young firms across the world : contribution to employment, job creation, and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5631, The World Bank.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1979. "A General Equilibrium Entrepreneurial Theory of Firm Formation Based on Risk Aversion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(4), pages 719-48, August.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong Wha, 1996. "International Measures of Schooling Years and Schooling Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 218-23, May.
- Julie Elston & David Audretsch, 2011. "Financing the entrepreneurial decision: an empirical approach using experimental data on risk attitudes," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 209-222, February.
- Baumol, William J, 1990. "Entrepreneurship: Productive, Unproductive, and Destructive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 893-921, October.
- Edinaldo Tebaldi & Bruce Elmslie, 2008.
"Institutions, Innovation And Economic Growth,"
Journal of Economic Development,
Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 27-53, December.
- Christian Bjørnskov & Nicolai Foss, 2008.
"Economic freedom and entrepreneurial activity: Some cross-country evidence,"
Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 307-328, March.
- Christian Bjørnskov & Nicolai J. Foss, 2006. "Economic Freedom and entrepreneurial Activity Some Cross-Country Evidence," DRUID Working Papers 06-18, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1990.
"Some evidence on the empirical significance of credit rationing,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
105, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1992. "Some Evidence on the Empirical Significance of Credit Rationing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 1047-77, October.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:95:y:1980:i:4:p:663-77 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fuerst, Michael E., 2006. "Investor risk premia and real macroeconomic fluctuations," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 540-563, September.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:102:y:1987:i:2:p:281-92 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jacobides, Michael G. & Knudsen, Thorbjorn & Augier, Mie, 2006. "Benefiting from innovation: Value creation, value appropriation and the role of industry architectures," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1200-1221, October.
- Seo, Hwan-Joo & Lee, Young Soo & Oh, Jeong Hun, 2009. "Does ICT investment widen the growth gap?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 422-431, September.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1990.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:itse12:60400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.