Commercial banks, default insurance and IMF reforms
This paper discusses, in a very general way, a system of IMF insurance against sovereign default that could be offered to private lenders and banking groups. The system could overcome many of the current issues that plague the international private lending market, such as moral hazard on the part of private lenders, capital flight, and so on. How the insurance could be priced is also discussed in an appendix. Private lender membership in the IMF is also discussed. This would provide the IMF with some of the powers that central banks now have.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Babbel, D.F., 1996. "Insuring Sovereign Debt Against Default," World Bank - Discussion Papers 328, World Bank.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 2000.
"Sovereign Liquidity Crises: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(460), pages 335-362, January.
- Marcus Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CSGR Working papers series 35/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Marcus H. Miller & Lei Zhang, 1999. "Sovereign Liquidity Crisis: The Strategic Case for A Payments Standstill," Working Paper Series WP99-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Zhang, Lei, 1998. "Sovereign Liquidity Crises: the Strategic Case for a Payments Standstill," CEPR Discussion Papers 1820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lerrick, Adam & Meltzer, Allan H., 2003. "Blueprint for an international lender of last resort," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 289-303, January.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999.
"International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability,"
NBER Working Papers
7265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 21-42, Fall.
- Michael Hutchison, 2001.
"A cure worse than the disease? currency crises and the output costs of IMF-supported stabilization programs,"
Pacific Basin Working Paper Series
2001-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Michael Hutchison, 2003. "A Cure Worse Than the Disease? Currency Crises and the Output Costs of IMF-Supported Stabilization Programs," NBER Chapters, in: Managing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 321-360 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael M. Hutchison, 2001. "A Cure Worse Than the Disease? Currency Crises and the Output Costs of IMF-Supported Stabilization Programs," NBER Working Papers 8305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael M. Hutchison, "undated". "A Cure Worse Than The Disease? Currency Crises and the Output Costs of IMF-Supported Stabilization Programs," EPRU Working Paper Series 01-09, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Martin S. Edwards, 2005. "Investor Responses to IMF Program Suspensions: Is Noncompliance Costly?," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 86(4), pages 857-873.
- Barry Eichengreen & Christof Ruehl, 2000.
"The Bail-In Problem: Systematic Goals, Ad Hoc Means,"
NBER Working Papers
7653, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Ruhl, Christof, 2001. "The bail-in problem: systematic goals, ad hoc means," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 3-32, March.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Ruehl, Christoph, 2000. "The Bail-In Problem: Systematic Goals, Ad Hoc Means," CEPR Discussion Papers 2427, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steven Radelet & Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1998. "The East Asian Financial Crisis: Diagnosis, Remedies, Prospects," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(1), pages 1-90.
- Rudi Dornbusch, 2001.
"Fewer Monies, Better Monies,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 238-242, May.
- Burcu Eke & Ali M Kutan, 2005. "IMF-Supported Programmes in Transition Economies: Are They Effective?," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 47(1), pages 23-40, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:200939. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.