Getting it Right: What to Reform in International Financial Markets
Our review of the main proposals on international financial architecture currently under consideration gives reasons for concern that excessive emphasis on improving stability by impeding capital flows will have a deleterious development impact. Sustainable development requires initiatives addressing the failures of international financial markets that make capital flows so small and volatile. Our analysis identifies a number of alternative initiatives and principles to get them right in connection with official support, private sector participation, and reforms to the institutional framework. However, the fact that some of these efficient reforms entail financial risks to supporting developed countries contributes to lack of consensus.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988.
"Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?,"
NBER Working Papers
2623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999.
"International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 21-42, Fall.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," NBER Working Papers 7265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, S. & Cooper, R.N. & Dornbusch, R. & Garber, P.M. & Massad, C. & Polak, J.J. & Rodrik, D. & Tarapore, S.S., 1998. "Should the IMF Pursue Capital-Account Convertibility?," Princeton Essays in International Economics 207, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Buiter, Willem H. & Sibert, Anne, 1999. "UDROP: A Small Contribution to the New International Financial Architecture," CEPR Discussion Papers 2138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration," Research Department Publications 4174, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Raffer, Kunibert, 1990. "Applying chapter 9 insolvency to international debts: An economically efficient solution with a human face," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-311, February.
- Buiter, Willem H & Sibert, Anne C, 1999. "UDROP: A Contribution to the New International Financial Architecture," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 227-47, July.
- Robert Litan & William Isaac & William Taylor, 1994. "Financial Regulation," NBER Chapters, in: American Economic Policy in the 1980s, pages 519-572 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6454, Inter-American Development Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4223. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.