Institutions, policy reforms and efficiency in new member states from Centraland Eastern Europe
This paper investigates determinants of agricultural sector efficiency in ten new member states (NMS-10) of the European Union (EU) from Central and Eastern European countries by the non-parametric method Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) and the panel data analysis. The agricultural sector efficiency varies between the NMS-10. We have found positive and significant association of the agricultural sector efficiency with the natural agricultural factor endowments, average farm size, farm specialization, small-scale farms, and the EU integration process. The foreign direct investments have an ambiguous affect, while the nominal assistance rate is not found significant. Reform and institutional developments and liberalization are associated with the agricultural sector efficiency positively, and vice versa infrastructure development and agricultural policy reforms, which have caused job flows and agricultural employment adjustments. The urban-rural income gap with job flows and agricultural labour adjustments have caused the agricultural sector efficiency positively.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Mathijs & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Production Organization And Efficiency During Transition: An Empirical Analysis Of East German Agriculture," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 100-107, February.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2008. "Rural-Urban Poverty Differences in Transition Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2170-2187, November.
- Raushan Bokusheva & Heinrich Hockmann, 2006.
"Production risk and technical inefficiency in Russian agriculture,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 93-118, March.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2005. "Production Risk and Technical Inefficiency in Russian Agriculture," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24610, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lerman, Zvi & Csaki, Csaba & Feder, Gershon, 2002. "Land policies and evolving farm structures in transition countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2794, The World Bank.
- Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2009.
"Reforms, globalization, and endogenous agricultural structures,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(s1), pages 719-732, November.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Reforms, Globalization, and Endogenous Agricultural Structures," 111th Seminar, June 26-27, 2009, Canterbury, UK 52802, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2009. "Determinants of technical efficiency of Slovenian farms," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 117-124.
- Lerman, Zvi, 2001. "Agriculture in transition economies: from common heritage to divergence," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 95-114, November.
- Alexej Lissitsa & Supawat Rungsuriyawiboon & Sergiy Parkhomenko, 2007. "How Far Are the Transition Countries from the Economic Standards of the European Union?: Measuring Efficiency and Growth in Agriculture," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(3), pages 51-75, June.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Vertical Integration, and Local Suppliers: Evidence from the Polish Dairy Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1525-1544, September.
- Scott Rozelle & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2004. "Success and Failure of Reform: Insights from the Transition of Agriculture," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 404-456, June.
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F M, 2002. "Patterns of Agrarian Transition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 365-94, January.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2005. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, chapter 8 Edward Elgar.
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004.
"Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 30(1), January.
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004. "Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Sophia Davidova & Matthew Gorton & Belen Iraizoz & Tomas Ratinger, 2003. "Variations in Farm Performance in Transitional Economies: Evidence from the Czech Republic-super-1," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 227-245.
- Stefan Bojnec & Liesbeth Dries, 2005. "Causes of Changes in Agricultural Employment in Slovenia: Evidence from Micro-data," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(3), pages 399-416.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:iamo10:52712. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.