Agglomeration, congestion, and regional unemployment disparities
Regional labor markets are characterized by huge disparities between unemployment rates. Models of the New Economic Geography explain how disparities between regional goods markets endogenously arise but usually assume full employment. This paper discusses regional unemployment disparities by introducing a wage curve based on efficiency wages into the New Economic Geography. The model shows how disparities between regional goods and labor markets endogenously arise through the interplay of increasing returns to scale, transport costs, congestion costs, and migration. The level and stability of regional labor market disparities depends on the extend of labor market frictions.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Heimhuder Str. 71, D-20148 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campbell, Carl & Orszag, J. Michael, 1998. "A model of the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 119-125, April.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Méjean, Isabelle & Patureau, Lise, 2010. "Firms' location decisions and minimum wages," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2011.
"Trade and Labor Market Outcomes,"
NBER Working Papers
16662, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2010. "Trade and Labor Market Outcomes," CEP Discussion Papers dp1028, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg & Redding, Stephen J., 2011. "Trade and Labor Market Outcomes," CEPR Discussion Papers 8191, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A., 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
340, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Zenou, Y. & Smith, T. E., .
"Efficiency wages, involuntary unemployment and urban spatial structure,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1171, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zenou, Yves & Smith, Tony E., 1995. "Efficiency wages, involuntary unemployment and urban spatial structure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 547-573, August.
- ZENOU, Yves & SMITH, TonyÂ E., 1994. "Efficiency Wages, Involuntary Unemployment and Urban Spatial Structure," CORE Discussion Papers 1994076, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1665, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Isabelle Méjean & Lise Patureau, 2008.
"Location decisions and Minimum Wages,"
THEMA Working Papers
2008-06, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Sato, Yasuhiro, 2000. "Search theory and the wage curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 93-98, January.
- Antonio Ricci, Luca, 1999. "Economic geography and comparative advantage:: Agglomeration versus specialization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 357-377, February.
- Decressin, Jörg & Fatás, Antonio, 1994.
"Regional Labour Market Dynamics in Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zierahn, Ulrich, 2011. "Regional unemployment and new economic geography," HWWI Research Papers 105, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Reinhold Kosfeld & Alexander Werner, 2008. "Die Lohnkurve in Deutschland unter Berücksichtigung des regionalen Preisniveaus," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200810, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Epifani, Paolo & Gancia, Gino A., 2005.
"Trade, migration and regional unemployment,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 625-644, November.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino Gancia, 2002. "Trade, migration and regional unemployment," Economics Working Papers 832, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Nov 2003.
- Gino Gancia & Paolo Epifani, 2004. "Trade, Migration and Regional Unemployment," Working Papers 199, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Peter Egger & Tobias Seidel, 2008. "Agglomeration and fair wages," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(1), pages 271-291, February.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- PICARD, Pierre M. & TOULEMONDE, Eric, .
"Firms agglomeration and unions,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1892, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:oup:restud:v:77:y:2010:i:3:p:1100-1137 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Francis, 2009. "Agglomeration, job flows and unemployment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 181-198, March.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki, 2007.
"Labor Market Rigidities, Trade and Unemployment,"
NBER Working Papers
13365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Krassoi Peach & T. Stanley, 2009. "Efficiency Wages, Productivity and Simultaneity: A Meta-Regression Analysis," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 262-268, September.
- Michael Pflüger, 2004. "Economic integration, wage policies, and social policies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 135-150, January.
- Baldwin, Richard E., 2001. "Core-periphery model with forward-looking expectations," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 21-49, February.
- Monfort, Philippe & Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 2002. "Spatial Mismatch and Skill Accumulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3324, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Estimating a Wage Curve for Britain: 1973-90," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1025-43, September.
- Strauss-Kahn, Vanessa, 2005. "Firms' location decision across asymmetric countries and employment inequality," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 299-320, February.
- Víctor M. Montuenga-Gómez & José M. Ramos-Parreño, 2005. "Reconciling the Wage Curve and the Phillips Curve," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(5), pages 735-765, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwirp:108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.