Regional unemployment and new economic geography
Regional labor markets are characterized by huge disparities. The literature on the wage curve argues that there exists a negative relationship between unemployment and wages. However, this literature cannot explain how disparities of these variables between regions endogenously arise. In contrast, the New Economic Geography analyzes how disparities of regional goods markets endogenously arise, but usually ignores unemployment. Therefore, this paper discusses regional unemployment disparities by introducing efficiency wages into the New Economic Geography. This model shows how disparities of regional goods and labor markets endogenously arise through the interplay of increasing returns to scale, transport costs and migration.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helge Sanner & Uwe Blien, 2006.
"Structural Change and Regional Employment Dynamics,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p699, European Regional Science Association.
- Uwe Blien & Helge Sanner, 2006. "Structural change and regional employment dynamics," Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsbeiträge 82, Universität Potsdam, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Blien, Uwe & Sanner, Helge, 2006. "Structural change and regional employment dynamics," IAB Discussion Paper 200606, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Michael Pflüger, 2004. "Economic integration, wage policies, and social policies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 135-150, January.
- Paul Krugman, 1990.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
NBER Working Papers
3275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matusz, Steven J, 1996. "International Trade, the Division of Labor, and Unemployment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(1), pages 71-84, February.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, David G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Estimating a Wage Curve for Britain: 1973-90," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1025-43, September.
- Zenou, Y. & Smith, T. E., .
"Efficiency wages, involuntary unemployment and urban spatial structure,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1171, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Zenou, Yves & Smith, Tony E., 1995. "Efficiency wages, involuntary unemployment and urban spatial structure," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 547-573, August.
- ZENOU, Yves & SMITH, TonyÂ E., 1994. "Efficiency Wages, Involuntary Unemployment and Urban Spatial Structure," CORE Discussion Papers 1994076, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Haaland, Jan I. & Wooton, Ian, 2003.
"Domestic Labour Markets and Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan I. Haaland & Ian Wooton, 2007. "Domestic Labor Markets and Foreign Direct Investment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 462-480, 08.
- Blanchflower, D. & Oswald, A., 1989.
"The Wage Curve,"
340, London School of Economics - Centre for Labour Economics.
- Paolo Epifani & Gino Gancia, 2002.
"Trade, migration and regional unemployment,"
Economics Working Papers
832, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Nov 2003.
- Gerda Dewit & Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2003.
"Employment Protection and Globalisation in Dynamic Oligopoly,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
137, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Gerda Dewit & Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2003. "Employment protection and globalisation in dynamic oligopoly," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1200103, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Dewit, Gerda & Leahy, Dermot & Montagna, Catia, 2003. "Employment Protection and Globalization in Dynamic Oligopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 3871, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dewit, Gerda & Dermot Leahy & Catia Montagna, 2003. "Employment protection and globalisation in dynamic oligopoly," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 57, Royal Economic Society.
- Ulrich Zierahn, 2013.
"Agglomeration, congestion, and regional unemployment disparities,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 435-457, October.
- Ulrich Zierahn, 2011. "Agglomeration, Congestion, and Regional Unemployment Disparities," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201106, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Zierahn, Ulrich, 2011. "Agglomeration, congestion, and regional unemployment disparities," HWWI Research Papers 108, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Ulrich Zierahn, 2011. "Agglomeration, Congestion, and Regional Unemployment Disparities," ERSA conference papers ersa11p303, European Regional Science Association.
- Antonio Ricci, Luca, 1999. "Economic geography and comparative advantage:: Agglomeration versus specialization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 357-377, February.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- John Francis, 2009. "Agglomeration, job flows and unemployment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 181-198, March.
- Picard, Pierre M & Toulemonde, Eric, 2002.
"Firms Agglomeration and Unions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3323, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Isabelle Méjean & Lise Patureau, 2007. "Location Decisions and Minimum Wages," Working Papers 2007-16, CEPII research center.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:00c06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Strauss-Kahn, Vanessa, 2005. "Firms' location decision across asymmetric countries and employment inequality," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 299-320, February.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Peter Egger & Tobias Seidel, 2008. "Agglomeration and fair wages," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(1), pages 271-291, February.
- Monfort, Philippe & Ottaviano, Gianmarco, 2002. "Spatial Mismatch and Skill Accumulation," CEPR Discussion Papers 3324, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwirp:105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.