Structural change and regional employment dynamics
"A casual look at regional unemployment rates reveals that there are vast differences which cannot be explained by different institutional settings. Our paper attempts to trace these differences in the regions' labour market performance back to the regions' specialisation in products that are more or less advanced in their product cycle. The model we develop shows how individual profit and utility maximisation endogenously leads to decreasing employment in the presence of process innovation. Things deteriorate even further if the region under observation is less innovative than others. Our model suggests that the only way to escape from this vicious circle is to specialize in products that are at the beginning of their economic life." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||19 Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2002.
"The Last Word on the Wage Curve?,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
02-029/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 13 Mar 2003.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173, May.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345, May.
- Richard B. Freeman, 2000. "Single Peaked Vs. Diversified Capitalism: The Relation Between Economic Institutions and Outcomes," NBER Working Papers 7556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Cavelaars, 2005. "Has the Tradeoff Between Productivity Gains and Job Growth Disappeared?," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 45-64, 02.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2004.
"The dynamics of local employment in France,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 217-243, September.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2004. "The dynamics of local employment in France," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00279073, HAL.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2003. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," CEPR Discussion Papers 3912, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2003. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," Working Papers 2003-15, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Magnac & Jean-Marc Robin, 2004. "The dynamics of local employment in France," Research Unit Working Papers 0402, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Magnac, Thierry & Robin, Jean-Marc, 2004. "The Dynamics of Local Employment in France," IZA Discussion Papers 1061, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Suedekum, Jens, 2004.
"Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities,"
HWWA Discussion Papers
256, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Jens Suedekum, 2005. "Increasing returns and spatial unemployment disparities," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(2), pages 159-181, 06.
- Jens Suedekum, 2003. "Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities," ERSA conference papers ersa03p44, European Regional Science Association.
- Jens Südekum, 2003. "Increasing Returns and Spatial Unemployment Disparities," Departmental Discussion Papers 117, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- J. Paul Elhorst, 2003. "The Mystery of Regional Unemployment Differentials: Theoretical and Empirical Explanations," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 709-748, December.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
NBER Working Papers
11338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:200606. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.