Does financial integration make banks act more prudential? Regulation, foreign owned banks, and the lender-of-last resort
We develop a simple model that looks at the incentives of private banks to behave prudentially and undertake costly efforts to lower the probability of bankruptcy or having to be bailed out by a lender of last resort. Government regulators can force banks to increase efforts beyond the privately optimal level. We contrast the national case under autarky with the case of an integrated banking market with bank cross-holdings. Because banks will exert a greater overall effort to monitor their foreign activities, financial integration might lead to more rather than less prudential behavior. Neither needs financial integration lead to a regulatory race to the bottom. We use the framework to investigate the impact of regulatory coordination on bank efforts and discuss incentives for banks to organize their foreign holdings in the form or branches or subsidiaries. We show that the absence of a common lender of last resort can reduce the probability of a financial crisis.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Garystr. 21, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)|
Phone: (030) 838 2272
Fax: (030) 838 2129
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Repullo, Rafael, 2000.
"A Model of Takeovers of Foreign Banks,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2639, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Haizhou Huang & Charles Goodhart, 1999.
"A Model of the Lender of Last Resort,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp313, Financial Markets Group.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno M. Parigi & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2003.
"The lender of last resort: A 21st Century approach,"
Economics Working Papers
708, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2003. "The Lender of Last Resort: A 21th Century Approach," IDEI Working Papers 215, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Freixas, Xavier & Parigi, Bruno M. & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2003. "The lender of last resort: a 21st century approach," Working Paper Series 0298, European Central Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004.
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
136, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004. "Country Insurance," IMF Working Papers 04/148, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 290, Econometric Society.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Business School Working Papers countryinsurance, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Thordur Olafsson & Julia Majaha-Jartby, 2005. "Regional Financial Conglomerates; A Case for Improved Supervision," IMF Working Papers 05/124, International Monetary Fund.
- Lieven Baele & Annalisa Ferrando & Peter Hördahl & Elizaveta Krylova & Cyril Monnet, 2004. "Measuring financial integration in the euro area," Occasional Paper Series 14, European Central Bank.
- Haizhou Huang & C. A. E. Goodhart, 2000.
"A Simple Model of An International Lender of Last Resort,"
IMF Working Papers
00/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Haizhou Huang & Charles Goodhart, 1999. "A Simple Model of an International Lender of Last Resort," FMG Discussion Papers dp336, Financial Markets Group.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Loranth, Gyongyi, 2005.
"Regulation of multinational banks: a theoretical inquiry,"
Working Paper Series
0431, European Central Bank.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Loranth, Gyongyi, 2011. "Regulation of multinational banks: A theoretical inquiry," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 178-198, April.
- Calzolari, Giacomo & Lóránth, Gyöngyi, 2004. "Regulation of Multinational banks: A Theoretical Inquiry," CEPR Discussion Papers 4232, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic risk: A survey,"
Working Paper Series
0035, European Central Bank.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Rønde, Thomas, 2004.
"Cooperation in international banking supervision,"
Working Paper Series
0316, European Central Bank.
- Holthausen, Cornelia & Rønde, Thomas, 2005. "Cooperation in International Banking Supervision," CEPR Discussion Papers 4990, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cornelia Holthausen & Thomas Rønde, 2003. "Cooperation in International Banking Supervision," CIE Discussion Papers 2004-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Sander Oosterloo, 2005.
"Financial Supervision in an Integrating Europe: Measuring Cross-Border Externalities,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-27, 07.
- Sander Osterloo & Dirk Schoenmaker, 2004. "Financial Supervision in an Integrating Europe: Measuring Cross-Border Externalities," FMG Special Papers sp156, Financial Markets Group.
- Prati, A. & Schinasi, G.J., 1999. "Financial Stability in European Economic and Monetary Union," Princeton Studies in International Economics 86, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Gudrun Johnsen & Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Inci Ã–tker, 2005. "Assessing and Managing Rapid Credit Growth and the Role of Supervisory and Prudential Policies," IMF Working Papers 05/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Xavier Vives, 2001. "Restructuring Financial Regulation in the European Monetary Union," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 57-82, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fubsbe:20062. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.