Impact of national financial regulation on macroeconomic and fiscal performance after the 2007 financial stock: Econometric analyses based on cross-country data
Using cross-country data, this paper estimates the impact of the 2007 financial shock on countries' macroeconomic developments conditional on national financial regulations before the crisis. For this purpose, the financial reform index developed by Abiad et al. (2008) is used. The econometric analyses indicate that countries with more deregulated financial markets experienced deeper recessions, stronger employment losses, and larger government budget deficits. Against the background of the ongoing global crisis and the results of other studies, the usefulness of liberalized financial markets for macroeconomic stability and economic development should be rigorously reconsidered.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 - 69 - 1533 - 3018
Fax: ++49 - 69 - 1533 - 2903
Web page: https://www.fh-frankfurt.de/en/faculties/business_and_law.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2010.
"Market Freedom and the Global Recession,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2010-020, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chudik, Alexander & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2011.
"Identifying the global transmission of the 2007-09 financial crisis in a GVAR Model,"
Working Paper Series
1285, European Central Bank.
- Chudik, Alexander & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2010. "Identifying the Global Transmission of the 2007-09 Financial Crisis in a GVAR Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 8093, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2010.
"Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the Crisis: An Update,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7901, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Spiegel, Mark M., 2011. "Cross-country causes and consequences of the crisis: An update," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 309-324, April.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2010. "Cross-Country Causes and Consequences of the Crisis: An Update," NBER Working Papers 16243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose & Mark M. Spiegel, 2011. "Cross-country causes and consequences of the crisis: an update," Working Paper Series 2011-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- De Luca, G. & Magnus, J.R., 2011.
"Bayesian Model Averaging and Weighted Average Least Squares : Equivariance, Stability, and Numerical Issues,"
2011-082, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Jan R. Magnus, 2011. "Bayesian model averaging and weighted-average least squares: Equivariance, stability, and numerical issues," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(4), pages 518-544, December.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Powell, Owen & Prüfer, Patricia, 2010. "A comparison of two model averaging techniques with an application to growth empirics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 139-153, February.
- Christophe Croux & Geert Dhaene & Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2003. "Robust Standard Errors for Robust Estimators," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0316, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2000. "Capital Market Liberalization, Economic Growth, and Instability," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 1075-1086, June.
- Ben Jann, 2010. "ROBREG: Stata module providing robust regression estimators," Statistical Software Components S457114, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vincenzo Verardi & Nicolas Debarsy, 2012. "SEMIPAR: Stata module to compute Robinson's (1988) semiparametric regression estimator," Statistical Software Components S457515, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 27 Oct 2012.
- Abdul Abiad & Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel, 2010.
"A New Database of Financial Reforms,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 57(2), pages 281-302, June.
- Chudik, Alexander & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2011. "Identifying the global transmission of the 2007-2009 financial crisis in a GVAR model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 325-339, April.
- Apanard P. Angkinand & Wanvimol Sawangngoenyuang & Clas Wihlborg, 2010. "Financial Liberalization and Banking Crises: A Cross-Country Analysis-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 10(Financial), pages 263-292.
- Marc Quintyn & Rosaria Vega Pansini & Donato Masciandaro, 2011. "The Economic Crisis; Did Financial Supervision Matter?," IMF Working Papers 11/261, International Monetary Fund.
- Henning Bohn, 1998. "The Behavior Of U.S. Public Debt And Deficits," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 949-963, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fhfwps:02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.