Bayesian model averaging and weighted-average least squares: Equivariance, stability, and numerical issues
In this article, we describe the estimation of linear regression models with uncertainty about the choice of the explanatory variables. We introduce the Stata commands bma and wals, which implement, respectively, the exact Bayesian model-averaging estimator and the weighted-average least-squares estimator developed by Magnus, Powell, and Pru Ìˆfer (2010, Journal of Econometrics 154: 139â€“153). Unlike standard pretest estimators that are based on some preliminary diagnostic test, these model-averaging estimators provide a coherent way of making inference on the regression parameters of interest by taking into account the uncertainty due to both the estimation and the model selection steps. Special emphasis is given to several practical issues that users are likely to face in applied work: equivariance to certain transformations of the explanatory variables, stability, accuracy, computing speed, and out-of-memory problems. Performances of our bma and wals commands are illustrated using simulated data and empirical applications from the literature on model-averaging estimation. Copyright 2011 by StataCorp LP.
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Note:||to access software from within Stata, net describe http://www.stata-journal.com/software/sj11-4/st0239/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.stata-journal.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.stata-journal.com/subscription.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:hal:journl:peer-00815561 is not listed on IDEAS
- Magnus, Jan R. & Wan, Alan T.K. & Zhang, Xinyu, 2011. "Weighted average least squares estimation with nonspherical disturbances and an application to the Hong Kong housing market," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 1331-1341, March.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Giuseppe De Luca & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2012.
"A generalized missing-indicator approach to regression with imputed covariates,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 12(4), pages 575-604, December.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Giuseppe De Luca & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2011. "A Generalized Missing-Indicator Approach to Regression with Imputed Covariates," EIEF Working Papers Series 1111, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised May 2011.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 1999.
"Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions,"
9903003, EconWPA, revised 06 Oct 2001.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark F. J. Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 563-576.
- Carmen Fernandez & Eduardo Ley & Mark Steel, 2001. "Model uncertainty in cross-country growth regressions," Econometrics 0110002, EconWPA.
- Jan R. Magnus & J. Durbin, 1999. "Estimation of Regression Coefficients of Interest When Other Regression Coefficients Are of No Interest," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 639-644, May.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Powell, Owen & Prüfer, Patricia, 2010. "A comparison of two model averaging techniques with an application to growth empirics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 139-153, February.
- Dardanoni, Valentino & Modica, Salvatore & Peracchi, Franco, 2011.
"Regression with imputed covariates: A generalized missing-indicator approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 362-368, June.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2009. "Regression with Imputed Covariates:a Generalized Missing Indicator Approach," CEIS Research Paper 150, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 08 Oct 2009.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2011. "Regression with imputed covariates: A generalized missing-indicator approach," Post-Print hal-00815561, HAL.
- Dmitry Danilov, 2005. "Estimation of the mean of a univariate normal distribution when the variance is not known," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 8(3), pages 277-291, December.
- Winford H. Masanjala & Chris Papageorgiou, 2008. "Rough and lonely road to prosperity: a reexamination of the sources of growth in Africa using Bayesian model averaging," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(5), pages 671-682.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F. J., 2006.
"Jointness in Bayesian variable selection with applications to growth regression,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4063, The World Bank.
- Ley, Eduardo & Steel, Mark F.J., 2007. "Jointness in Bayesian variable selection with applications to growth regression," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 476-493, September.
- Danilov, Dmitry & Magnus, J.R.Jan R., 2004. "On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 27-46, September.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & Magnus, J.R. & Kumar, K., 2011. "On the Choice of Prior in Bayesian Model Averaging," Discussion Paper 2011-003, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan R. Magnus, 2002. "Estimation of the mean of a univariate normal distribution with known variance," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 225-236, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tsj:stataj:v:11:y:2011:i:4:p:518-544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)or (Lisa Gilmore)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.