Bayesian Model Averaging for Generalized Linear Models with Missing Covariates
We address the problem of estimating generalized linear models (GLMs) when the outcome of interest is always observed, the values of some covariates are missing for some observations, but imputations are available to fill-in the missing values. Under certain conditions on the missing-data mechanism and the imputation model, this situation generates a trade-off between bias and precision in the estimation of the parameters of interest. The complete cases are often too few, so precision is lost, but just filling-in the missing values with the imputations may lead to bias when the imputation model is either incorrectly specified or uncongenial. Following the generalized missing-indicator approach originally proposed by Dardanoni et al. (2011) for linear regression models, we characterize this bias-precision trade- off in terms of model uncertainty regarding which covariates should be dropped from an augmented GLM for the full sample of observed and imputed data. This formulation is attractive because model uncertainty can then be handled very naturally through Bayesian model averaging (BMA). In addition to applying the generalized missing-indicator method to the wider class of GLMs, we make two extensions. First, we propose a block-BMA strategy that incorporates information on the available missing-data patterns and has the advantage of being computationally simple. Second, we allow the observed outcome to be multivariate, thus covering the case of seemingly unrelated regression equations models, and ordered, multinomial or conditional logit and probit models. Our approach is illustrated through an empirical application using the first wave of the Survey on Health, Aging and Retirement in Europe (SHARE).
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:||May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 066790013
Fax: +39 0647924872
Web page: http://www.eief.it/repec
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus, J.R. & Powell, O.R. & Prüfer, P., 2008. "A Comparison of Two Averaging Techniques with an Application to Growth Empirics," Discussion Paper 2008-39, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Giuseppe De Luca & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2012.
"A generalized missing-indicator approach to regression with imputed covariates,"
StataCorp LP, vol. 12(4), pages 575-604, December.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Giuseppe De Luca & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2011. "A Generalized Missing-Indicator Approach to Regression with Imputed Covariates," EIEF Working Papers Series 1111, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised May 2011.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2011.
"Regression with imputed covariates: A generalized missing-indicator approach,"
- Dardanoni, Valentino & Modica, Salvatore & Peracchi, Franco, 2011. "Regression with imputed covariates: A generalized missing-indicator approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 362-368, June.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2009. "Regression with Imputed Covariates:a Generalized Missing Indicator Approach," CEIS Research Paper 150, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 08 Oct 2009.
- Valentino Dardanoni & Salvatore Modica & Franco Peracchi, 2011. "Regression with imputed covariates: A generalized missing-indicator approach," Post-Print peer-00815561, HAL.
- Danilov, Dmitry & Magnus, J.R.Jan R., 2004. "On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 27-46, September.
- Mazzonna, Fabrizio & Peracchi, Franco, 2012.
"Ageing, cognitive abilities and retirement,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 691-710.
- Fabrizio Mazzona & Franco Peracchi, 2010. "Ageing, cognitive abilities and retirement," EIEF Working Papers Series 1015, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Jan 2012.
- Fabrizio Mazzonna & Franco Peracchi, 2009. "Aging, cognitive abilities and retirement," CEIS Research Paper 152, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 05 Dec 2012.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Renault, Eric & Trognon, Alain, 1987. "Generalised residuals," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 5-32.
- Dimitrios Christelis, 2011. "Imputation of Missing Data in Waves 1 and 2 of SHARE," CSEF Working Papers 278, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Cheti Nicoletti & Franco Peracchi, 2006. "The effects of income imputation on microanalyses: evidence from the European Community Household Panel," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 169(3), pages 625-646.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200839 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eie:wpaper:1311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facundo Piguillem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.