Weighted-Average Least Squares Estimation of Generalized Linear Models
The weighted-average least squares (WALS) approach, introduced by Magnus et al. (2010) in the context of Gaussian linear models, has been shown to enjoy important advantages over other strictly Bayesian and strictly frequentist model averaging estimators when accounting for problems of uncertainty in the choice of the regressors. In this paper we extend the WALS approach to deal with uncertainty about the specification of the linear predictor in the wider class of generalized linear models (GLMs). We study the large-sample properties of the WALS estimator for GLMs under a local misspecification framework that allows the development of asymptotic model averaging theory. We also investigate the finite sample properties of this estimator by a Monte Carlo experiment whose design is based on the real empirical analysis of attrition in the first two waves of the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe(SHARE).
|Date of creation:||27 Feb 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gustav Mahlerplein 117, 1082 MS Amsterdam|
Phone: +31 (0)20 598 4580
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerda Claeskens & Christophe Croux & Johan Van Kerckhoven, 2006. "Variable Selection for Logistic Regression Using a Prediction-Focused Information Criterion," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 972-979, December.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 2016. "Efficient shrinkage in parametric models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 115-132.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "The Stochastic Difference between Econometric Statistics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(3), pages 531-548, May.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Martin Spindler, 2015.
"Post-Selection and Post-Regularization Inference in Linear Models with Many Controls and Instruments,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 105(5), pages 486-490, May.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Martin Spindler, 2015. "Post-selection and post-regularization inference in linear models with many controls and instruments," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/15, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Martin Spindler, 2015. "Post-Selection and Post-Regularization Inference in Linear Models with Many Controls and Instruments," Papers 1501.03185, arXiv.org.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, September.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Quantile Regression," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005. "Quantile Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, August.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 2014. "Model averaging, asymptotic risk, and regressor groups," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 5(3), pages 495-530, November.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Liu, Chu-An, 2015. "Distribution theory of the least squares averaging estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 186(1), pages 142-159.
- Liu, Chu-An, 2013. "Distribution Theory of the Least Squares Averaging Estimator," MPRA Paper 54201, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomohiro Ando & Ker-Chau Li, 2014. "A Model-Averaging Approach for High-Dimensional Regression," Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 109(505), pages 254-265, March.
- Magnus, Jan R. & Powell, Owen & Prüfer, Patricia, 2010. "A comparison of two model averaging techniques with an application to growth empirics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 139-153, February.
- Park, Trevor & Casella, George, 2008. "The Bayesian Lasso," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 681-686, June.
- Jan R. Magnus & J. Durbin, 1999. "Estimation of Regression Coefficients of Interest When Other Regression Coefficients Are of No Interest," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(3), pages 639-644, May.
- Giuseppe De Luca & Jan R. Magnus, 2011. "Bayesian model averaging and weighted-average least squares: Equivariance, stability, and numerical issues," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 11(4), pages 518-544, December.
- De Luca, G. & Magnus, J.R., 2011. "Bayesian Model Averaging and Weighted Average Least Squares : Equivariance, Stability, and Numerical Issues," Discussion Paper 2011-082, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jan R. Magnus & Giuseppe De Luca, 2016. "Weighted-Average Least Squares (Wals): A Survey," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 117-148, 02.
- Claeskens,Gerda & Hjort,Nils Lid, 2008. "Model Selection and Model Averaging," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521852258, August.
- Enrique Moral-Benito, 2015. "Model Averaging In Economics: An Overview," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 46-75, 02.
- Jan R. Magnus, 2002. "Estimation of the mean of a univariate normal distribution with known variance," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 225-236, June.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2003. "The Finite-Sample Distribution Of Post-Model-Selection Estimators And Uniform Versus Nonuniform Approximations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 100-142, February.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Poetscher, 2000. "The Finite-Sample Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators, and Uniform Versus Non-Uniform Approximations," Econometrics 0004001, EconWPA.
- Zou, Guohua & Wan, Alan T.K. & Wu, Xiaoyong & Chen, Ti, 2007. "Estimation of regression coefficients of interest when other regression coefficients are of no interest: The case of non-normal errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(8), pages 803-810, April.
- Danilov, Dmitry & Magnus, J.R.Jan R., 2004. "On the harm that ignoring pretesting can cause," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 27-46, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tin:wpaper:20170029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tinbergen Office +31 (0)10-4088900)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.