Post-Selection and Post-Regularization Inference in Linear Models with Many Controls and Instruments
We consider estimation of and inference about coefficients on endogenous variables in a linear instrumental variables model where the number of instruments and exogenous control variables are each allowed to be larger than the sample size. We work within an approximately sparse framework that maintains that the signal available in the instruments and control variables may be effectively captured by a small number of the available variables. We provide a LASSO-based method for this setting which provides uniformly valid inference about the coefficients on endogenous variables. We illustrate the method through an application to demand estimation.
Volume (Year): 105 (2015)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.aeaweb.org/aer/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.aeaweb.org/subscribe.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Belloni & D. Chen & V. Chernozhukov & C. Hansen, 2012.
"Sparse Models and Methods for Optimal Instruments With an Application to Eminent Domain,"
Econometric Society, vol. 80(6), pages 2369-2429, November.
- Alexandre Belloni & D. Chen & Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2010. "Sparse models and methods for optimal instruments with an application to eminent domain," CeMMAP working papers CWP31/10, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Alexandre Belloni & Daniel Chen & Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen, 2010. "Sparse Models and Methods for Optimal Instruments with an Application to Eminent Domain," Papers 1010.4345, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2015.
- Eric Gautier & Alexandre Tsybakov, 2011. "High-Dimensional Instrumental Variables Regression and Confidence Sets," Working Papers 2011-13, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Eric Gautier & Alexandre Tsybakov, 2014. "High-dimensional instrumental variables regression and confidence sets," Working Papers hal-00591732, HAL.
- Alexandre Belloni & Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Damian Kozbur, 2014. "Inference in high dimensional panel models with an application to gun control," CeMMAP working papers CWP50/14, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Alexandre Belloni & Victor Chernozhukov & Christian Hansen & Damian Kozbur, 2014. "Inference in High Dimensional Panel Models with an Application to Gun Control," Papers 1411.6507, arXiv.org.
- Zhu Liu, 2015. "???????," Working Paper 269181, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Carrasco, Marine, 2012. "A regularization approach to the many instruments problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 383-398.
- Leeb, Hannes & P tscher, Benedikt M., 2008. "Can One Estimate The Unconditional Distribution Of Post-Model-Selection Estimators?," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(02), pages 338-376, April.
- Hannes Leeb & Benedikt M. Potscher, 2003. "Can One Estimate the Conditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1444, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Leeb, Hannes & Pötscher, Benedikt M., 2005. "Can One Estimate the Unconditional Distribution of Post-Model-Selection Estimators ?," MPRA Paper 72, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1987. "Asymptotic efficiency in estimation with conditional moment restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 305-334, March.
- Gary Chamberlain & Guido Imbens, 2004. "Random Effects Estimators with many Instrumental Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 295-306, January.
- Hansen, Christian & Kozbur, Damian, 2014. "Instrumental variables estimation with many weak instruments using regularized JIVE," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 290-308.
- Okui, Ryo, 2011. "Instrumental variable estimation in the presence of many moment conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 165(1), pages 70-86.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)