Estimating dynamic tax revenue elasticities for Germany
We analyse tax revenue elasticities by applying dynamic models to a new disaggregated dataset for Germany, which is adjusted for the effects of tax reforms. We estimate long-run elasticities that are substantially lower than in comparable studies for profit-related taxes and are slightly lower for value-added taxes, whereas the long-run elasticity for wage taxes is close to the consensus estimate in the literature. Additionally, we find that differences between short- and long-run elasticities are particularly important with respect to profit-related taxes. Here we estimate a far lower contemporaneous response to tax base changes than other studies and a dynamic reaction pattern spanning several years, which can be explained, for example, by tax collection lags.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 06 02, 60006 Frankfurt|
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fricke, Hans & Süssmuth, Bernd, 2014.
"Growth and Volatility of Tax Revenues in Latin America,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 114-138.
- Hans Fricke & Bernd Süssmuth, 2011. "Growth and Volatility of Tax Revenues in Latin America," CESifo Working Paper Series 3312, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fricke, Hans & Süssmuth, Bernd, 2013. "Growth and volatility of tax revenues in Latin America," Working Papers 124, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
- Hassler, Uwe & Wolters, Jürgen, 2005.
"Autoregressive distributed lag models and cointegration,"
2005/22, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Uwe Hassler & Jürgen Wolters, 2006. "Autoregressive distributed lag models and cointegration," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 90(1), pages 59-74, March.
- Sobel, Russell S. & Holcombe, Randall G., 1996. "Measuring the Growth and Variability of Tax Bases over the Business Cycle," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 49(4), pages 535-52, December.
- Thiess Büttner & Anita Dehne & Gebhard Flaig & Oliver Hülsewig & Peter Winker, 2006. "Berechnung der BIP-Elastizitäten öffentlicher Ausgaben und Einnahmen zu Prognosezwecken und Diskussion ihrer Volatilität : Studie im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums der Finanzen," ifo Forschungsberichte, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 28, December.
- Mark W. Nichols & Mehmet Serkan Tosun, 2007. "The Income Elasticity of Casino Revenues: Short-Run and Long-Run Estimates," Working Papers 07-015, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics;University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdps:232012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.