The Determinants of Venture Capital: Additional Evidence
This paper attempts to identify and evaluate the main determinants of venture capital (VC). We develop a theoretical model where macroeconomic conditions, technological opportunity, and the entrepreneurial environment affect the demand and supply of VC. The quantitative results, based on a panel dataset of 16 OECD countries from 1990 to 2000, show that VC intensity is pro-cyclical. Interest rates affect more the demand side of VC (entrepreneurs) than the supply side. Indicators of technological opportunity, such as the stock of knowledge and the number of triadic patents affect positively and significantly the relative level of VC. Labour market rigidities reduce the impact of the GDP growth rate and of the stock of knowledge, whereas a minimum level of entrepreneurship is required in order to have a positive effect of the available stock of knowledge on VC intensity.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrea Schertler, 2003. "Driving Forces of Venture Capital Investments in Europe: A Dynamic Panel Data Analysis," Kiel Working Papers 1172, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004.
"The economic impact of venture capital,"
Working Papers CEB
04-014.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003. "The Economic Impact of Venture Capital," IIR Working Paper 03-20, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno & Romain, Astrid, 2004. "The Economic Impact of Venture Capital," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2004,18, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Manigart, Sophie & De Waele, Koen & Wright, Mike & Robbie, Ken & Desbrieres, Philippe & Sapienza, Harry J. & Beekman, Amy, 2002.
"Determinants of required return in venture capital investments: a five-country study,"
Journal of Business Venturing,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 291-312, July.
- Philippe Desbrières & Sophie Manigart & Koen De Waele & Mike Wright & Ken Robbie & Harry Sapienza & Amy Beekman, 2002. "Determinants of required return in venture capital investments:A five country study," Working Papers CREGO 1020701, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Engel, Dirk, 2002. "The Impact of Venture Capital on Firm Growth: An Empirical Investigation," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-02, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- James M. Poterba, 1989.
"Venture Capital and Capital Gains Taxation,"
in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 3, pages 47-68
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Martí Pellón & Marina Balboa, 2001. "Determinants Of Private Equity Fundraising In Western Europe," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Jeng, Leslie A. & Wells, Philippe C., 2000. "The determinants of venture capital funding: evidence across countries," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 241-289, September.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2001. "The Venture Capital Revolution," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 145-168, Spring.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Black, Bernard S. & Gilson, Ronald J., 1998. "Venture capital and the structure of capital markets: banks versus stock markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 243-277, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp1:2164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.