The Economic Impact of Venture Capital
The objective of this paper is to perform a first evaluation of the macroeconomic impact of venture capital (VC). The main assumption is that VC can be considered as being similar to business R&D performed by large firms. It can therefore contribute to economic growth through two main channels. The first one is innovation, characterized by the introduction of new products, processes or services on the market that directly contribute to improve economic performances. The second one is the development of an absorptive capability. These hypotheses are tested quantitatively with a production function model. The estimates are run over a panel data set of 16 OECD countries from 1990 to 1998. The results show that the accumulation of VC is a significant factor contributing directly to Multi-Factor Productivity (MFP) growth. The social rate of return to VC is twice as high as the social rate of return to business or public R&D. VC has also an indirect impact on MFP in the sense that it improves the output elasticity of R&D. An increased VC intensity makes it easier to absorb the knowledge generated by the universities and firms, and therefore improves aggregate economic performance.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1 Naka, Kunitachi City, Tokyo 186-8601|
Web page: http://www.iir.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Audretsch, David B & Keilbach, Max, 2003.
"Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max, 2002. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-76, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2004. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-01, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Rachel Griffith & Stephen Redding & John Van Reenen, 2001. "R&D and absorptive capacity: from theory to data," IFS Working Papers W01/03, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Keilbach, Max & Engel, Dirk, 2002.
"Firm Level Implications of Early Stage Venture Capital Investment: An Empirical Investigation,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
02-82, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Engel, Dirk & Keilbach, Max, 2007. "Firm-level implications of early stage venture capital investment -- An empirical investigation," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 150-167, March.
- Max Keilbach & Dirk Engel, . "Firm Level Implications of Early Stage Venture Capital Investment - An Empiri cal Investigation," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-22, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2001. "The Venture Capital Revolution," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 145-168, Spring.
- Hellmann, Thomas F. & Puri, Manju, 2000.
"Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-up Firms: Empirical Evidence,"
1661, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2002. "Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start-Up Firms: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 169-197, 02.
- Paul Romer, 1989.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
NBER Working Papers
3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 1998. "Does Venture Capital Spur Innovation?," NBER Working Papers 6846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Romain, Astrid & Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno van, 2003.
"The Determinants of Venture Capital: A Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries,"
IIR Working Paper
03-25, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Astrid Romain & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2004. "The determinants of venture capital: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries," Working Papers CEB 04-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sapienza, Harry J., 1992. "When do venture capitalists add value?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 9-27, January.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2001.
"R&D and productivity growth: a panel data analysis of 16 OECD countries,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6219, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2001. "R&D and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 103-126.
- Dominique Guellec & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2001. "R&D and Productivity Growth: Panel Data Analysis of 16 OECD Countries," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2001/3, OECD Publishing.
- van Pottelsberghe Bruno & Guellec Dominique, . "From R & D to Productivity Growth: the Sources of Knowledge - Spillovers and their Interaction," EcoMod2002 330800067, EcoMod.
- Hellmann, Thomas & Puri, Manju, 2000. "The Interaction between Product Market and Financing Strategy: The Role of Venture Capital," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 959-84.
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:iirwps:03-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.