An Economic Analysis of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA)
Under which conditions is it advantageous for countries to form a single payments area? This question is analyzed in a model of spatial bank competition to understand better the economic foundations of the Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA). An economic research perspective on the mostly informal policy debates about SEPA is developed. The analysis suggests that expectations about the positive effects of SEPA may be exaggerated as most channels for enhancing public welfare seem rather weak. Still the project may be worthwhile undertaking if the cost of creating SEPA-compliant systems is reduced by extending the time frame for the implementation phase and if the use of electronic payments is promoted.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
|Order Information:|| Postal: FIW Project Office Austrian Institute of Economic Research Arsenal Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stuart E. Weiner & Julian Wright, 2005.
"Interchange fees in various countries: developments and determinants,"
Payments System Research Working Paper
PSR WP 05-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Weiner Stuart E. & Wright Julian, 2005. "Interchange Fees in Various Countries: Developments and Determinants," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(4), pages 1-34, December.
- Stuart E. Weiner & Julian Wright, 2005. "Interchange fees in various countries : developments and determinants," Proceedings – Payments System Research Conferences, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue May, pages 5-49.
- Manna, Michele, 2004. "Developing statistical indicators of the integration of the euro area banking system," Working Paper Series 0300, European Central Bank.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2005.
"Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(1), pages 231-266, 02.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," CSEF Working Papers 80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," Discussion Paper 2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition," Discussion Paper 2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Wong, Kit Pong & Chan, Derek K., 1993. "A simple model of spatial banking competition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 391-397.
- Bolt, Wilko & Humphrey, David, 2005. "Public good issues in TARGET: natural monopoly, scale economies, network effects and cost allocation," Working Paper Series 0505, European Central Bank.
- Hans Degryse, 2004.
"The Impact of Technology and Regulation on the Geographical Scope of Banking,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 571-590, Winter.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2004. "The Impact of Technology and Regulation on the Geographical Scope of Banking," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0408, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Xavier Freixas, 2004. "The Assessment: European Financial Integration," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 475-489, Winter.
- Paul W. Bauer & Gary D. Ferrier, 1996.
"Scale economies, cost efficiencies, and technological change in Federal Reserve payments processing,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), pages 1004-1044.
- Bauer, Paul W & Ferrier, Gary D, 1996. "Scale Economies, Cost Efficiencies, and Technological Change in Federal Reserve Payments Processing," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 1004-39, November.
- Rosati, Simonetta & Secola, Stefania, 2006. "Explaining cross-border large-value payment flows: Evidence from TARGET and EURO1 data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1753-1782, June.
- Hancock, Diana & Humphrey, David B. & Wilcox, James A., 1999. "Cost reductions in electronic payments: The roles of consolidation, economies of scale, and technical change," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 391-421, February.
- David Humphrey & Lawrence Pulley & Jukka Vesala, 2000. "The Check's in the Mail: Why the United States Lags in the Adoption of Cost-Saving Electronic Payments," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 17-39, February.
- Linda A. Toolsema, 2004. "Monetary Policy and Market Power in Banking," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 71-83, 09.
- Adams, Robert M & Bauer, Paul W & Sickles, Robin C, 2004.
"Scale Economies, Scope Economies, and Technical Change in Federal Reserve Payment Processing,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 943-58, October.
- Robert M. Adams & Paul W. Bauer & Robin C. Sickles, 2002. "Scale economies, scope economies, and technical change in Federal Reserve payment processing," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Milne, Alistair, 2006.
"What is in it for us? Network effects and bank payment innovation,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1613-1630, June.
- Milne , Alistair, 2005. "What's in it for us? Network effects and bank payment innovation," Research Discussion Papers 16/2005, Bank of Finland.
- Pita Barros, Pedro, 1999. "Multimarket competition in banking, with an example from the Portuguese market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 335-352, April.
- Humphrey, David & Willesson, Magnus & Bergendahl, Goran & Lindblom, Ted, 2006. "Benefits from a changing payment technology in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1631-1652, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsr:wpaper:y:2008:i:011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.