Trade Sophistication in a Transition Economy: Poland 1980–2009
Poland has historically demonstrated exceptional resiliency in the face of change. This paper examines how Poland coped with huge structural realignments from the rise of Solidarity until the present, seeking to provide an objective analysis of Poland’s evolution of trade structures while it developed into a competitive member of the European Union. Employing four methodologically unrelated measures, this study looks at how the degree of sophistication of Poland’s manufactures responded and contributed to these changes. The result is that each distinct index reveals a common trend of rapid adaptation within the competitive environment of the European Union.
|Date of creation:||06 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + (48)(22) 49 12 51
Fax: + (48)(22) 49 53 12
Web page: http://www.sgh.waw.pl/instytuty/zes
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell Kellman & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2011. "Diversification and Specialization Paradox in Developing Country Trade," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 212-222, 05.
- Grigori Fainštein & Aleksei Netšunajev, 2010. "Foreign Trade Patterns Between Estonia and the EU," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 16(3), pages 311-324, August.
- Yushi Yoshida & Nuno Carlos Leitão & Horácio Faustino, 2009. "Vertical Intra-Industry Trade and Foreign Direct Investment between Japan and European Countries," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(4), pages 351-365, December.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2006.
"A Systematic Decomposition of World Trade into Horizontal and Vertical IIT,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2006. "A Systematic Decomposition of World Trade into Horizontal and Vertical IIT," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 459-475, October.
- Shachmurove, Yochanan, 2011. "A historical overview of financial crises in the United States," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 217-231.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Leitão, Nuno Carlos, 2011. "Intra-industry trade: The Pakistan experience," MPRA Paper 28665, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ethier, Wilfred, 1979. "Internationally decreasing costs and world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Andrew Marks, 2009. "Intra-Industry Trade and Adjustment Costs in the Australian Textile, Clothing and Footwear and Motor Vehicle Industries: A Comparative Case Study Approach," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 28(4), pages 323-336, December.
- Das, Gouranga G., 2007. "Intra-Industry Trade and Development: Revisiting Theory, Measurement and New Evidences," MPRA Paper 37260, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2008.
- Kravis, Irving B & Lipsey, Robert E, 1982.
"Prices and Market Shares in the International Machinery Trade,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 64(1), pages 110-16, February.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey & Dennis M. Bushe, 1980. "Prices and Market Shares in the International Machinery Trade," NBER Working Papers 0521, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grubel, Herbert G & Lloyd, P J, 1971. "The Empirical Measurement of Intra- Industry Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(120), pages 494-517, December.
- Kellman, Mitchell & Shachmurove, Yochanan & Saadawi, Tarek, 1996. "Import vulnerability of defense-related industries: An empirical model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 87-107, February.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1971. "Price Competitiveness in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krav71-1, 07.
- Musleh-ud Din & Ijaz Ghani & Usman Qadir, 2009. "Recent Experience and Future Prospects of Pakistan’s Trade with China," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 14(Special E), pages 87-110, September.
- Sawyer, William C. & Sprinkle, Richard L. & Tochkov, Kiril, 2010. "Patterns and determinants of intra-industry trade in Asia," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 485-493, October.
- Nuno Carlos LEITÃO, 2011. "Intra-Industry Trade in Tourism Services," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 0(6(559)), pages 55-62, June.
- Kowalski, Tadeusz & Shachmurove, Yochanan, 2011. "The financial crisis: What is there to learn?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 238-247.
- Diana H. A. Tsai, 2005. "Knowledge Spillovers and High-technology Clustering: Evidence from Taiwan's Hsinchu Science-Based Industrial Park," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 23(1), pages 116-128, 01.
- Zahoor Ul Haq & Karl Meilke, 2011. "Does the Linder effect hold for differentiated agri-food and beverage product trade?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(27), pages 4095-4109.
- Shachmurove, Tomer & Shachmurove, Yochanan, 2011. "String of defaults: Spanish financial crises through the years," MPRA Paper 36012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo E & Dehandschutter, Wim V, 1986. "The Critical Choice between the Concentration Ratio and the H-Index in Assessing Industry Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 193-208, December.
- Imre Ferto & Károly Attila Soós, 2010. "Marginal intra-industry trade and adjustment costs in the first phase of transition: A Hungarian-Polish comparison," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(5), pages 495-504, September.
- C. Veeramani, 2009. "Trade barriers, multinational involvement and intra-industry trade: panel data evidence from India," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(20), pages 2541-2553.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wse:wpaper:64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcin Owczarczuk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.