Intra-Industry Trade in Latin America and the Caribbean
An increasingly important component of total world trade is intra-industry trade (IIT). The large volume of literature on IIT is reflective of this importance. However, this extensive literature has focused almost completely on explaining the causes of IIT. This focus has left a puzzling gap in the literature. Specifically, it is almost impossible to determine the level of IIT for a particular country or region. Further, there is almost no information on the level of IIT at the industry level either globally or for a region or country. In this paper we provide estimates of IIT for the world and for the countries of the Western Hemisphere. Further, we provide estimates of IIT for ten different SITC product categories on the same basis. The results should allow researchers to get a better picture of the extent of IIT in Latin America and the Caribbean both by country and by industry.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.tcu.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodas-Martini, Pablo, 1998. "Intra-industry trade and revealed comparative advantage in the Central American Common Market," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 337-344, February.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M., 1999.
"Intra-industry trade and strategic interaction: Theory and evidence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 225-244, February.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M., 1998. "Intra-industry trade and strategic interaction: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 77-96, June.
- Beverley Mullings, 2004. "Globalization and the territorialization of the new Caribbean service economy," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(3), pages 275-298, June.
- Finger, J M, 1975. "Trade Overlap and Intra-Industry Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 13(4), pages 581-89, December.
- Don P. CLARK, 2007. "Intraindustry Specialization And The United States-Central America-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 45(4), pages 491-506.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2006. "A Systematic Decomposition of World Trade into Horizontal and Vertical IIT," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 459-475, October.
- Yeats, Alexander J, 1998. "Does Mercosur's Trade Performance Raise Concerns about the Effects of Regional Trade Arrangements?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Steven Globerman, 1992. "North American trade liberalization and intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 487-497, September.
- Joakim Gullstrand, 2002. "Does the measurement of intra-industry trade matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 317-339, June.
- David Greenaway & Robert Hine & Chris Milner, 1994. "Country-specific factors and the pattern of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade in the UK," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 77-100, March.
- Dale Truett & Lila Truett, 1998. "A cost function analysis of the Mexican nonelectrical machinery industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(8), pages 1027-1035.
- Geske Dijkstra, A., 2000. "Trade Liberalization and Industrial Development in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1567-1582, September.
- Gerardo Esquivel, 1992. "Una nota sobre el comercio intraindustrial México-Estados Unidos," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 7(1), pages 119-137.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Lila J. Truett & Dale B. Truett, 2007. "Nafta And The Maquiladoras: Boon Or Bane?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(3), pages 374-386, 07.
- Don P Clark & Thomas M Fullerton Jr & Duane Burdorf, 2004.
"Intra-industry Trade Between the United States and Mexico: 1993- 1998,"
- Don P. Clark & Thomas M. Fullerton, Jr. & Duane Burdorf, 2001. "Intra-industry trade between The United States and México: 1993-1998," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 16(2), pages 167-183.
- Balassa, Bela, 1986. "The Determinants of Intra-industry Specialization in United States Trade," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 220-33, July.
- Felix, David, 1989. "Import substitution and late industrialization: Latin America and Asia compared," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 1455-1469, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcu:wpaper:201103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Harvey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.