Los determinantes del comercio intraindustrial, horizontal y vertical, en las industrias manufactureras de México
This paper analyses the determinants of intra-industry trade (CININ), vertical (CININV) and horizontal (CININH), inside the commercial relationship between Mexico and United States, in the period 1985-2006, for 22 industries, employing Adjusted Grubel-Lloyd and Kojima indices. Estimations followed a fixed effects panel data methodology. Results indicate product differentiation, non-competitive market structures, development level, market size, market size difference and economic integration are determinants of CININ and CININV; while scale economies, non-competitive market structures, development level, per capita income difference between Mexico and US as well as difference of market size, and economic integration are determinants of CININH.
Volume (Year): 26 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.colmex.mx/centros/cee/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Don Clark, 1993. "Recent evidence on determinants of intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 129(2), pages 332-344, June.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-223, July.
- Lancaster, Kelvin, 1980. "Intra-industry trade under perfect monopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-175, May.
- Kamal Abd-el-Rahman, 1991. "Firms’ competitive and national comparative advantages as joint determinants of trade composition," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 127(1), pages 83-97, March.
- Gary Hufbauer, 1970. "The Impact of National Characteristics & Technology on the Commodity Composition of Trade in Manufactured Goods," NBER Chapters, in: The Technology Factor in International Trade, pages 145-231 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerardo Esquivel, 1992. "Una nota sobre el comercio intraindustrial México-Estados Unidos," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 7(1), pages 119-137.
- Highfill Jannett K & Scott Robert C, 2006. "Product Quality and Market Size: Price Competition Between a Large and Small Country," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-959, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emx:esteco:v:26:y:2011:i:1:p:35-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.