Trade patterns in the process of European integration: Evidence for the intraindustrial exchanges of a Mediterranean peripheral region
The aim of this paper is to find out about the impact of the integration processes on peripheral regions, in connection with the growth of nontraditional trade or intraindustry trade. Firstly, the specialization pattern estimating the Grubel and Lloyd Indexes and decomposition by nature differentiation is described. Secondly, an econometric model based on a logistic function is elaborated to explain the determinants of this typology of flow developed in the region. The conclusions are clear: the predominance of the traditional interindustrial specialization and the growth of intraindustry trade differentiated by quality. This implies, according to smooth adjustment hypothesis, a more difficult and harder adjustment process after the exchanges liberalization. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2014
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 52 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00168/index.htm|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Pelzman, 1978. "Soviet-COMECON trade: The question of intra-industry specialization," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 297-304, June.
- Brulhart, Marius, 2000. "Dynamics of Intraindustry Trade and Labor-Market Adjustment," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 420-35, August.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert Elliott, 2002. "Labour-market effects of intra-industry trade: Evidence for the United Kingdom," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 207-228, June.
- Jorge Selaive, 1998. "Comercio Intraindustrial en Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 44, Central Bank of Chile.
- José Blanes & Carmela Martín, 2000.
"The nature and causes of intra-industry trade: Back to the comparative advantage explanation? The case of Spain,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 423-441, 09.
- Carmela Martin & Jose V. Blanes, 1999. "The Nature and Causes of Intra-Industry Trade: Back to the Comparative Advantage Explanation? The Case of Spain," European Economy Group Working Papers 1, European Economy Group.
- Greenaway, David & Hine, Robert C & Milner, Chris, 1995. "Vertical and Horizontal Intra-industry Trade: A Cross Industry Analysis for the United Kingdom," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(433), pages 1505-18, November.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1981. "Intraindustry Specialization and the Gains from Trade," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 959-73, October.
- Marius Brülhart, 1994. "Marginal intra-industry trade: Measurement and relevance for the pattern of industrial adjustment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(3), pages 600-613, September.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J.R. Elliott, 1998.
"Adjustment to the European single market: inferences from intra-industry trade patterns,"
Journal of Economic Studies,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 225-247, September.
- Marius Brülhart & Robert J. R. Elliott,, . "Adjustment to the European Single Market: Inferences from Intra-Industry Trade Patterns," Discussion Papers 96/15, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michaël Freudenberg, 1997. "Intra-Industry Trade: Methodological Issues Reconsidered," Working Papers 1997-01, CEPII research center.
- Davis, Donald R., 1995. "Intra-industry trade: A Heckscher-Ohlin-Ricardo approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 201-226, November.
- Krugman, Paul R., 1979. "Increasing returns, monopolistic competition, and international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 469-479, November.
- Antonio Aquino, 1978. "Intra-industry trade and inter-industry specialization as concurrent sources of International Trade in manufactures," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 275-296, June.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
- Michael Storper & Yun-chung Chen, 2002. "Trade and the location of industries in the OECD and European Union," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(1), pages 73-107, January.
- Clive Hamilton & Paul Kniest, 1991. "Trade liberalisation, structural adjustment and intra-industry trade: A note," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 356-367, June.
- Campbell, Carl III, 1989. "Sectoral wage rigidity in the Canadian and French economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1727-1749, December.
- Haynes, Michelle & Upward, Richard & Wright, Peter, 2000. "Smooth and Sticky Adjustment: A Comparative Analysis of the US and UK," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 517-32, August.
- Joan Martín-Montaner & Vicente Ríos, 2002. "Vertical specialization and intra-industry trade: The role of factor endowments," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 340-365, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:52:y:2014:i:1:p:227-249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.