Unofficial Dollarization in Latin America: Currency Substitution, Network Externalities and Irreversibility
We examine the extent, causes and consequences of the use of foreign currency as a co-circulating medium of exchange and store of value in Latin America. Using new estimates of the amount of foreign currency in circulation in the form of US dollars, we obtain unique measures of currency substitution, asset substitution, dollarization, and bank credibility for many Latin American countries. We also specify and estimate demand functions for foreign currency in circulation in Argentina in order to examine the dynamic consequences of network externalities for hysteresis and irreversibility.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP/PostScript; pages: 28 ; figures: included. Forthcoming in James W. Dean, Dominick Salvatore and Thomas Willett, eds. The Dollarization Debate, New York: Oxford University Press, 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1992.
"Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 518-544, September.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1991. "Dollarization in Latin America; Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Working Papers 91/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Pablo Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 81, Universidad del CEMA.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2005. "The Anatomy Of The Underground Economy," Macroeconomics 0502011, EconWPA.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2005. "Overseas Holdings Of U.S.Currency And The Underground Economy," Macroeconomics 0501022, EconWPA.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Michael Gavin & Carmen Pagés-Serra & Ernesto H. Stein, 1999. "Financial Turmoil and Choice of Exchange Rate Regime," Research Department Publications 4170, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0205002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.