The Roles of Government and Nonprofit Suppliers in Mixed Industries
In what ways, if any, does the behavior of government and nonprofit organizations differ? This paper examines evidence from two industries‹nursing homes and mentally handicapped facilities‹to determine whether government and nonprofit organization behavior differs in identifiable dimensions, and if it does, why the differences occur. Behavior is studied in terms of consumer access, as measured by the use of waiting lists, and output quality, as measured by consumer satisfaction. Considerable differential behavior across the two institutional forms is found in both industries. The differences are consistent with varied models, one of which is that government and nonprofit providers have different objective functions, trading off quality and consumer access differently as government pursues a supplier-of-last-resort role.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2040 Sheridan Road, Evanston, IL 60208-4100|
Web page: http://www.nwu.edu/IPR/publications/wpindex1.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-795, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Paul J. Devereux & Burton A. Weisbrod, "undated". "Complaints and Geographic Mobility as Responses to Dissatisfaction with Public Services," IPR working papers 96-20, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Badelt, Christoph & Weiss, Peter, 1990. "Specialization, Product Differentiation and Ownership Structure in Personal Social Services: The Case of Nursery Schools," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 69-89.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1994. "Nonprofit Organizations in the Health Sector," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 129-144, Fall.
- Richard Steinberg & Burton A. Weisbrod, "undated". "Pricing and Rationing by Nonprofit Organizations with Distributional Objectives," IPR working papers 97-28, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:nwuipr:99-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.