Behavior of Nonprofit Organizations in For-Profit Markets: The Curious Case of Unprofitable Revenue-Raising Activities
When nonprofit organizations in the U.S. engage in activities that are "substantially related" to their legal mission they pay no profits taxation, but profit from "unrelated business" (UB) activities is taxed. Since UB activity has no apparent justification other than to generate revenue, we attempt to explain why no profit is so frequently reported. We examine the accounting allocation of joint costs, such as depreciation, between the taxed and untaxed activities in six industries - including health, education, and the arts - and also the specific kinds of UB activities undertaken. We find evidence that the reported unprofitability of UB activity masks true profitability.
Volume (Year): 164 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Hines, Jr., 2000.
"Nonprofit Business Activity and the Unrelated Business Income Tax,"
NBER Working Papers
6820, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Hines Jr., 1999. "Non-Profit Business Activity and the Unrelated Business Income Tax," NBER Chapters, in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 13, pages 57-84 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Khanna, Jyoti & Sandler, Todd, 2000. "Partners in giving:: The crowding-in effects of UK government grants," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1543-1556, August.
- Joseph J. Cordes & Burton A. Weisbrod, "undated". "Differential Taxation of Nonprofits and the Commercialization of Nonprofit Revenues," IPR working papers 97-15, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- Okten, Cagla & Weisbrod, Burton A., 2000. "Determinants of donations in private nonprofit markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 255-272, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(200812)164:4_727:bonoif_2.0.tx_2-. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.