Do hospitals cross-subsidize?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Capps, Cory & Dranove, David & Satterthwaite, Mark, 2003. " Competition and Market Power in Option Demand Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(4), pages 737-763, Winter.
- Capps, Cory & Dranove, David & Lindrooth, Richard C., 2010. "Hospital closure and economic efficiency," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 87-109, January.
- Paulo Guimarães & Octávio Figueirdo & Douglas Woodward, 2003.
"A Tractable Approach to the Firm Location Decision Problem,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 201-204, February.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octavio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2000. "A tractable approach to the firm location decision problem," NIMA Working Papers 2, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Gary M. Fournier & Ellen S. Campbell, 1997. "Indigent Care As Quid Pro Quo In Hospital Regulation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 669-673, November.
- Richard C. Lindrooth & Gloria J. Bazzoli & Jan Clement, 2007. "The Effect of Reimbursement on the Intensity of Hospital Services," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 575-587, January.
- Dwayne A. Banks & Mary Paterson & Jeanne Wendel, 1997. "Uncompensated Hospital Care: Charitable Mission or Profitable Business Decision?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 133-143.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, May.
- Buchmueller, Thomas C. & Jacobson, Mireille & Wold, Cheryl, 2006.
"How far to the hospital?: The effect of hospital closures on access to care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 740-761, July.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Mireille Jacobson & Cheryl Wold, 2004. "How Far to the Hospital? The Effect of Hospital Closures on Access to Care," NBER Working Papers 10700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Jason R. & Huckman, Robert S. & Kessler, Daniel P., 2006.
"The effects of cardiac specialty hospitals on the cost and quality of medical care,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 702-721, July.
- Jason R. Barro & Robert S. Huckman & Daniel P. Kessler, 2005. "The Effects of Cardiac Specialty Hospitals on the Cost and Quality of Medical Care," NBER Working Papers 11707, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hsueh-Fen Chen & Gloria Bazzoli & Hui-Min Hsieh, 2009. "Hospital Financial Conditions and the Provision of Unprofitable Services," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(3), pages 259-277, September.
- Okten, Cagla & Weisbrod, Burton A., 2000. "Determinants of donations in private nonprofit markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 255-272, February.
- Lindrooth, Richard C. & Lo Sasso, Anthony T. & Bazzoli, Gloria J., 2003. "The effect of urban hospital closure on markets," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 691-712, September.
- Paulo Guimarães & Richard C. Lindrooth, 2007. "Controlling for overdispersion in grouped conditional logit models: A computationally simple application of Dirichlet-multinomial regression," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 10(2), pages 439-452, July.
- Dor, Avi & Farley, Dean E., 1996. "Payment source and the cost of hospital care: Evidence from a multiproduct cost function with multiple payers," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Brennan, Timothy J, 1990. "Cross-Subsidization and Cost Misallocation by Regulated Monopolists," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 37-51, March.
- Leone, Andrew J. & Van Horn, R. Lawrence, 2005. "How do nonprofit hospitals manage earnings?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 815-837, July.
- Salkever, David S., 2000. "Regulation of prices and investment in hospitals in the United States," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 28, pages 1489-1535 Elsevier.
- Chevalier Judith, 2004. "What Do We Know About Cross-subsidization? Evidence from Merging Firms," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-29, April.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "Games Hospitals Play: Entry Deterrence in Hospital Procedure Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 513-542, September.
- Mark G. Duggan, 2000. "Hospital Ownership and Public Medical Spending," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1343-1373.
- Chernew, Michael & Gowrisankaran, Gautam & Fendrick, A. Mark, 2002. "Payer type and the returns to bypass surgery: evidence from hospital entry behavior," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 451-474, May.
- Maxim Sinitsyn & Burton A. Weisbrod, 2008. "Behavior of Nonprofit Organizations in For-Profit Markets: The Curious Case of Unprofitable Revenue-Raising Activities," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(4), pages 727-750, December.
- Leonard K. Cheng & Zihui Ma, 2010. "China's Outward Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Chapters,in: China's Growing Role in World Trade, pages 545-578 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward C. Norton & Douglas O. Staiger, 1994. "How Hospital Ownership Affects Access to Care for the Uninsured," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(1), pages 171-185, Spring.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cory Capps & Dennis W. Carlton & Guy David, 2017. "Antitrust Treatment of Nonprofits: Should Hospitals Receive Special Care?," NBER Working Papers 23131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jinhyung Lee & Jeffrey S. McCullough & Robert J. Town, 2013.
"The impact of health information technology on hospital productivity,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 44(3), pages 545-568, September.
- Jinhyung Lee & Jeffrey S. McCullough & Robert J. Town, 2012. "The Impact of Health Information Technology on Hospital Productivity," NBER Working Papers 18025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jingjing Ding & Chenpeng Feng & Gongbing Bi & Liang Liang & M. Khan, 2015. "Cone ratio models with shared resources and nontransparent allocation parameters in network DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 137-155, October.
More about this item
KeywordsHospital markets; Cross-subsidies; Specialty hospitals;
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L33 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Comparison of Public and Private Enterprise and Nonprofit Institutions; Privatization; Contracting Out
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jhecon:v:37:y:2014:i:c:p:198-218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.