Do we follow the money? The drivers of migration across regions in the EU
Most immigration theories tend to highlight that migration follows wealth and economic dynamism, but is this also the case across regions in Europe? The aim of the paper is to investigate whether migrants in Europe indeed follow the money and to contrast this with a variety of potential alternative explanations, including the presence of migrants from a similar origin. The analysis is based on panel data estimations including 133 European regions over a time period of 17 years. Different lag structures have been employed in order to distinguish between short- and long-run effects. The results cast some doubt about the prominence of pecuniary factors as a determinant of cross regional migration in Europe, with little evidence to support the idea that migration follows economic dynamism. Network effects, human capital related-, and Ã¢â‚¬Ëœterritorially embedded' innovation enhancing regional characteristics, by contrast, seem to play a much stronger role than hitherto considered. The study also reveals important differences among EU countries in the factors which determine regional migration.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fields, Gary S., 1975. "Rural-urban migration, urban unemployment and underemployment, and job-search activity in LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 165-187, June.
- Puhani, Patrick A., 1999.
"Labour mobility - an adjustment mechanism in Euroland? Empirical evidence for Western Germany, France and Italy,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
99-47, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Patrick A. Puhani, 2001. "Labour Mobility: An Adjustment Mechanism in Euroland? Empirical Evidence for Western Germany, France and Italy," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(2), pages 127-140, 05.
- Ghatak, Subrata & Levine, Paul & Price, Stephen Wheatley, 1996. " Migration Theories and Evidence: An Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 159-98, June.
- Sari Pekkala, 2002.
"Migration and Individual Earnings in Finland: A Regional Perspective,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 13-24.
- Pekkala, Sari, 1999. "Migration and individual earnings in Finland: a regional perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa094, European Regional Science Association.
- Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2004.
"European Labour Mobility: Challenges and Potentials,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1410, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Klaus Zimmermann, 2005. "European Labour Mobility: Challenges and Potentials," De Economist, Springer, vol. 153(4), pages 425-450, December.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2004. "European Labour Mobility: Challenges and Potentials," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 460, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufí, 2005.
"Education, migration, and job satisfaction: the regional returns of human capital in the EU,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 545-566, October.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Montserrat Vilalta-Bufi, 2004. "Education, Migration, and Job Ssatisfaction: the Regional Returns of Human Capital in the EU," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 1, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006.
"R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Bruges European Economic Research Papers
5, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- A. Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, spillovers, innovatoin systems and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0067, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa06p371, European Regional Science Association.
- Sabrina Di Addario & Eleonora Patacchini, 2007.
"Wages and the City. Evidence from Italy,"
Development Working Papers
231, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Mark D., Partridge & Dan S., Rickman & M. Rose, Olfert & Kamar, Ali, 2010. "Dwindling U.S. Internal Migration: Evidence of Spatial Equilibrium?," MPRA Paper 28157, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Greenwood, Michael J, 1975. "Research on Internal Migration in the United States: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 397-433, June.
- Etzo, Ivan, 2007. "Determinants of interregional migration in Italy:A panel data analysis," MPRA Paper 5307, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2009.
"Returns to migration, education, and externalities in the European Union,"
2009-15, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales, revised 09 Feb 2010.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2010. "Returns to migration, education and externalities in the European Union," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(2), pages 411-434, 06.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2010. "Returns to Migration, Education, and Externalities in the European Union," Working Papers 2010.25, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Haapanen, Mika, 2000. "Impact Of Expected Earnings On Interregional Migration Decisions In Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa00p269, European Regional Science Association.
- Gordon, Ian R, 1985. "The Cyclical Interaction between Regional Migration, Employment and Unemployment: A Time Series Analysis for Scotland," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 32(2), pages 135-58, June.
- Alberto Dalmazzo & Guido De Blasio, 2007. "Skill-Biased Agglomeration Effects and Amenities: Theory with an Application to Italian Cities," Department of Economics University of Siena 503, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Borjas, George J. & Bronars, Stephen G. & Trejo, Stephen J., 1992.
"Self-selection and internal migration in the United States,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 159-185, September.
- George J. Borjas & Stephen G. Bronars & Stephen J. Trejo, 1992. "Self-Selection and Internal Migration in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
- Manuel Arellano & Stephen Bond, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 277-297.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2012.
"Individual Earnings and Educational Externalities in the European Union,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(1), pages 39-57, February.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Vassilis Tselios, 2009. "Individual earnings and educational externalities in the European Union," Working Papers 2009-07, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Burda, Michael C & Wyplosz, Charles, 1991.
"Human Capital, Investment and Migration in an Integrated Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
614, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burda, Michael & Wyplosz, Charles, 1992. "Human capital, investment and migration in an integrated Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 677-684, April.
- Lundborg, Per, 1991. " Determinants of Migration in the Nordic Labor Market," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 93(3), pages 363-75.
- Paolo Surico, 2003. "Geographic Concentration and Increasing Returns," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(5), pages 693-708, December.
- Crescenzi, Riccardo & Rodriguez-Pose, Andres, 2008.
"Infrastructure endowment and investment as determinants of regional growth in the European Union,"
8/2008, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2008. "Infrastructure endowment and investment as determinants of regional growth in the European Union," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23323, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "The duelling models: NEG vs amenity migration in explaining US engines of growth," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 89(3), pages 513-536, 08.
- Kathleen M. Day, 1992. "Interprovincial Migration and Local Public Goods," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 123-44, February.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1978.
"Family Migration Decisions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 749-73, October.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Angrist, 2001. "How Large are Human-Capital Externalities? Evidence from Compulsory-Schooling Laws," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 9-74 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jackman, Richard & Savouri, Savvas, 1992. "Regional Migration in Britain: An Analysis of Gross Flows Using NHS Central Register Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(415), pages 1433-50, November.
- Jörg Decressin, 1994. "Internal migration in West Germany and implications for East-West salary convergence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 130(2), pages 231-257, June.
- Peter Huber, 2004.
"Inter-regional Mobility in Europe. A Note on the Cross-Country Evidence,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Peter Huber, 2004. "Inter-regional mobility in Europe: a note on the cross-country evidence," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(10), pages 619-624.
- Mark Ferguson & Kamar Ali & M. Rose Olfert & Mark Partridge, 2007. "Voting with Their Feet: Jobs versus Amenities," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(1), pages 77-110.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & McMaster, Ian, 1990. "Regional Migration, Wages and Unemployment: Empirical Evidence and Implications for Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 812-31, October.
- Mika Haapanen & Jari Ritsila, 2007. "Can Migration Decisions be Affected by Income Policy Interventions? Evidence from Finland," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(3), pages 339-348.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p191. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.