How cluster membership places the mediatior effect of the internal resources on the association between KIBS and the growth of new innovative firms
Recently, network literature has considered the crucial importance of the resources which firm obtains through its network of external relationships. Specifically, this paper analyzes if the mediator effect of the internal resources on the association between Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (KIBS) and the growth of the New Innovative Firms (NIFs) is moderated by the belonging of the firm to an industrial cluster. The paper presents several contributions. First, this research shows like firms with higher internal resources exploit better the external resources and enhancing firmâ€™s performance. In this way we integrate both, network strategic perspective (external resources represented by the KIBS) and those authors from Resource-Based View, giving priority to internal resources. Moreover, we prove like the moderator role played internal resources is not constant on the contrary is changing when firm belong to an industrial cluster. Additionally, we consider as a contribution the application in this context of the particular and new analysis techniques to combine mediator and moderator effects as it is suggested in Preacher et al., (2007).
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hector Rocha & Rolf Sternberg, 2005. "Entrepreneurship: The Role of Clusters Theoretical Perspectives and Empirical Evidence from Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 267-292, 02.
- Mario Davide Parrilli & Silvia Sacchetti, 2008. "Linking learning with governance in networks and clusters: key issues for analysis and policy," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 387-408, July.
- Tether, Bruce S. & Tajar, Abdelouahid, 2008. "Beyond industry-university links: Sourcing knowledge for innovation from consultants, private research organisations and the public science-base," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1079-1095, July.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2005. "Does the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship hold for regions?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1191-1202, October.
- F. Xavier Molina-Morales & M. Teresa MartÃnez-FernÃ¡ndez, 2008. "Shared Resources in Industrial Districts: Information, Know-How and Institutions in the Spanish Tile Industry," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 31(1), pages 35-61, January.
- Fulvio, Castellacci, 2007.
"Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation,"
26408, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "Technological paradigms, regimes and trajectories: Manufacturing and service industries in a new taxonomy of sectoral patterns of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 978-994, July.
- Simone Strambach, 2010. "Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (KIBS)," Chapters, in: Platforms of Innovation, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Porter, David C. & Thatcher, John G., 1998. "Fragmentation, competition, and limit orders: New evidence from interday spreads," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 111-128.
- Rui Baptista & Joana Mendonça, 2010. "Proximity to knowledge sources and the location of knowledge-based start-ups," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 45(1), pages 5-29, August.
- Wennberg, Karl, 2008.
"Knowledge combinations and the survival of financial services ventures,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Business Administration
2008:1, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Karl Wennberg, 2009. "Knowledge combinations and the survival of financial services ventures," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 259-276, April.
- Rafael Boix & Vittorio Galleto, 2005. "Sistemas Locales de Trabajo y Distritos Industriales Marshallianos en España," Working Papers wpdea0514, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2004. "Laggard Clusters as Slow Learners, Emerging Clusters as Locus of Knowledge Cohesion (and Exclusion): A Comparative Study in the Wine Industry," LEM Papers Series 2004/09, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2000. "Collective Knowledge Communication and Innovation: The Evidence of Technological Districts," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 535-547.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa11p1732. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.