Inter-regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal
This paper examines the size o inter-regional wage dispersion in Portugal. For this purpose, we estimate a Mincer-type human capital wage equation, including controls for a large number of districts, and calculate a weighted and adjusted standard deviation (WASD) of inter-regional wage differences. The value is high and quite stable over time. The highest wages are found in the region of Lisbon and the Tagus Valley. We Moreover, is quite sensitive to inclusion of human capital and industry controls.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-293, March.
- Paulo Madruga & José Vieira, 2004. "Regions and Low-Wage Mobility in Portugal," ERSA conference papers ersa04p55, European Regional Science Association.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-243, May.
- DuMond J.M. & Hisch, B.T. & Macpherson, D.A., 1996.
"Wage Differentials Across Labor Markets and Workers: Does Cost of Living Matter?,"
1996_08_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Dumond, J Michael & Hirsch, Barry T & Macpherson, David A, 1999. "Wage Differentials across Labor Markets and Workers: Does Cost of Living Matter?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 577-598, October.
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2002. "Mind the Gaps: The Evolution of Regional Earnings Inequalities in the U.K., 1982-1997," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 219-256.
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 2002. "Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 209-215.
- Idson, Todd L & Feaster, Daniel J, 1990. "A Selectivity Model of Employer-Size Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages 99-122, January.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:8:y:1973:i:4:p:436-455 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oosterbeek, Hessel & van Praag, Mirjam, 1995. "Firm-Size Wage Differentials in the Netherlands," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 173-182, June.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1.
- Gilles Duranton & V Monastiriotis, 2000.
"Mind the Gaps: the Evolution of Regional Inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0485, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2000. "Mind the gaps: the evolution of regional inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20135, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1992. "Interindustry Wage Differentials: Evidence from Sweden and a Comparison with the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1341-1349, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa05p160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.