Inter-regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal
This paper examines the size o inter-regional wage dispersion in Portugal. For this purpose, we estimate a Mincer-type human capital wage equation, including controls for a large number of districts, and calculate a weighted and adjusted standard deviation (WASD) of inter-regional wage differences. The value is high and quite stable over time. The highest wages are found in the region of Lisbon and the Tagus Valley. We Moreover, is quite sensitive to inclusion of human capital and industry controls.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 2002. "Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 209-215.
- Paulo Madruga & José Vieira, 2004. "Regions and Low-Wage Mobility in Portugal," ERSA conference papers ersa04p55, European Regional Science Association.
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2002. "Mind the Gaps: The Evolution of Regional Earnings Inequalities in the U.K., 1982-1997," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 219-256.
- DuMond J.M. & Hisch, B.T. & Macpherson, D.A., 1996.
"Wage Differentials Across Labor Markets and Workers: Does Cost of Living Matter?,"
1996_08_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Dumond, J Michael & Hirsch, Barry T & Macpherson, David A, 1999. "Wage Differentials across Labor Markets and Workers: Does Cost of Living Matter?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 577-98, October.
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2000.
"Mind the gaps: the evolution of regional inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20135, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Duranton & V Monastiriotis, 2000. "Mind the Gaps: the Evolution of Regional Inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997," CEP Discussion Papers dp0485, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973.
"Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Ronald Oaxaca, 1971. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," Working Papers 396, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-43, May.
- Oosterbeek, Hessel & van Praag, Mirjam, 1995. " Firm-Size Wage Differentials in the Netherlands," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 173-82, June.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1992. "Interindustry Wage Differentials: Evidence from Sweden and a Comparison with the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1341-49, December.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-93, March.
- Idson, Todd L & Feaster, Daniel J, 1990. "A Selectivity Model of Employer-Size Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages 99-122, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa05p160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.