Inter-regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal
This paper examines the size o inter-regional wage dispersion in Portugal. For this purpose, we estimate a Mincer-type human capital wage equation, including controls for a large number of regions, and calculate a weighted and adjusted standard deviation (WASD) of inter-regional wage differentials. The value is high and quite stable over time. The highest wages are found in the region of Lisbon. Moreover, the results are quite sensitive to inclusion of human capital and industry controls. A decomposition analysis reveals that differences in average years of education and in the return to education across regions account for a significant fraction of observed wage differentials.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dumond, J Michael & Hirsch, Barry T & Macpherson, David A, 1999.
"Wage Differentials across Labor Markets and Workers: Does Cost of Living Matter?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(4), pages 577-598, October.
- DuMond J.M. & Hisch, B.T. & Macpherson, D.A., 1996. "Wage Differentials Across Labor Markets and Workers: Does Cost of Living Matter?," Working Papers 1996_08_01, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Krueger, Alan B & Summers, Lawrence H, 1988. "Efficiency Wages and the Inter-industry Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 259-293, March.
- Paulo Madruga & JosÃ© Vieira, 2004. "Regions and Low-Wage Mobility in Portugal," ERSA conference papers ersa04p55, European Regional Science Association.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters,in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edin, Per-Anders & Zetterberg, Johnny, 1992. "Interindustry Wage Differentials: Evidence from Sweden and a Comparison with the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1341-1349, December.
- Cotton, Jeremiah, 1988. "On the Decomposition of Wage Differentials," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(2), pages 236-243, May.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Gilles Duranton & V Monastiriotis, 2000. "Mind the Gaps: the Evolution of Regional Inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997," CEP Discussion Papers dp0485, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2000. "Mind the gaps: the evolution of regional inequalities in the UK, 1982-1997," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20135, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Vieira, J.A.C. & Couto, J.P.A. & Tiago, M.T.B., 2006. "Inter-regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal," Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(1).
- Vieira, José António Cabral & Couto, João Pedro Almeida & Borges Tiago, Maria Teresa, 2005. "Inter-Regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal," IZA Discussion Papers 1664, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- JosÃ© AntÃ³nio Cabral Vieira & JoÃ£o Pedro Almeida Couto & Maria Teresa Borges Tiago, 2005. "Inter-regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal," ERSA conference papers ersa05p160, European Regional Science Association.
- Idson, Todd L & Feaster, Daniel J, 1990. "A Selectivity Model of Employer-Size Wage Differentials," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages 99-122, January.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, 01.
- Inmaculada Garcia & Jose Alberto Molina, 2002. "Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 209-215.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Gilles Duranton & Vassilis Monastiriotis, 2002. "Mind the Gaps: The Evolution of Regional Earnings Inequalities in the U.K., 1982-1997," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 219-256.
- Oosterbeek, Hessel & van Praag, Mirjam, 1995. "Firm-Size Wage Differentials in the Netherlands," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 173-182, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)