Minimum cost spanning tree problems with indifferent agents
We consider an extension of minimum cost spanning tree (mcst) problems where some agents do not need to be connected to the source, but might reduce the cost of others to do so. Even if the cost usually cannot be computed in polynomial time, we extend the characterization of the Kar solution (Kar (2002, GEB)) for classic mcst problems. It is obtained by adapting the Equal treatment property: if the cost of the edge between two agents changes, their cost shares are a¤ected in the same manner if they have the same demand. If not, their changes are proportional to each other. We obtain three variations on the Kar solution, that are di¤erentiated and characterized using stability, fairness and manipulation-proofness properties.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (519) 253-4232 ext 2368
Fax: (519) 973-7096
Web page: http://www.uwindsor.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rosenthal, Edward C., 2013. "Shortest path games," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 224(1), pages 132-140.
- Friedman, Eric & Moulin, Herve, 1999.
"Three Methods to Share Joint Costs or Surplus,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 275-312, August.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2002.
"Responsibility and Cross-Subsidization in Cost Sharing,"
2002-05, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve & Sprumont, Yves, 2006. "Responsibility and cross-subsidization in cost sharing," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 152-188, April.
- MOULIN, Hervé & SPRUMONT, Yves., 2002. "Responsibility and Cross-Subsidization in Cost Sharing," Cahiers de recherche 2002-19, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Hervé MOULIN & Yves SPRUMONT, 2002. "Responsibility And Cross-Subsidization In Cost Sharing," Cahiers de recherche 19-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Eric Bahel & Christian Trudeau, 2013.
"A discrete cost sharing model with technological cooperation,"
International Journal of Game Theory,
Springer, vol. 42(2), pages 439-460, May.
- Eric Bahel & Christian Trudeau, 2011. "A Discrete Cost Sharing Model with Technological Cooperation," Working Papers e07-28, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Feltkamp, V. & Tijs, S.H. & Muto, S., 1994. "On the irreducible core and the equal remaining obligations rule of minimum cost spanning extension problems," Discussion Paper 1994-106, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- María Gómez-Rúa & Juan Vidal-Puga, 2011. "Merge-proofness in minimum cost spanning tree problems," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 309-329, May.
- Kar, Anirban, 2002. "Axiomatization of the Shapley Value on Minimum Cost Spanning Tree Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 265-277, February.
- Moulin, Herve & Shenker, Scott, 1992. "Serial Cost Sharing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1009-37, September.
- Hervé Moulin, 1995.
"On Additive Methods To Share Joint Costs,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 46(4), pages 303-332, December.
- Gustavo Bergantiños & Juan Vidal-Puga, 2005.
"A fair rule in minimum cost spanning tree problems,"
Game Theory and Information
- Bergantinos, Gustavo & Vidal-Puga, Juan J., 2007. "A fair rule in minimum cost spanning tree problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 326-352, November.
- Trudeau, Christian, 2009. "Cost sharing with multiple technologies," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 695-707, November.
- Trudeau, Christian, 2009. "Network flow problems and permutationally concave games," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 121-131, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wis:wpaper:1306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Trudeau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.