Three Methods to Share Joint Costs or Surplus
We study cost sharing methods with variable demands of heterogeneous goods, additive in the cost function and meeting the Dummy axiom. We consider four axioms: Scale Invariance (SI); Demand Monotonicity (DM); Upper Bound for Homogeneous Goods (UBH) placing a natural cap on cost shares when goods are homogeneous; Average Cost Pricing for Homogeneous Goods (ACPH). The random order values based on Stand Alone costs are characterized by SI and DM. Serial costsharing, by DM and UB; the Aumann-Shapley pricing method, by SI and ACPH. No other combination of the four axioms is compatible with Additivity and Dummy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sprumont, Yves, 1998.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 126-162, July.
- William W. Sharkey & Richard P. McLean, 1998. "Weighted Aumann-Shapley pricing," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 27(4), pages 511-523.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972.
"Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-795, December.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971. "Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations," UCLA Economics Working Papers 10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Dominique Henriet & Herve' Moulin, 1996.
"Traffic-Based Cost Allocation in a Network,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(2), pages 332-345, Summer.
- Moulin, Herve & Shenker, Scott, 1999.
"Distributive and Additive Costsharing of an Homogeneous Good,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 299-330, May.
- Moulin, HervÈ & Shenker, Scott, 1997. "Distributive and Additive Costsharing of an Homogeneous Good," Working Papers 97-21, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Moulin, Herve & Shenker, Scott, 1992. "Serial Cost Sharing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1009-1037, September.
- Chun, Youngsub, 1988. "The proportional solution for rights problems," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 231-246, June.
- Amartya K. Sen, 1966. "Labour Allocation in a Cooperative Enterprise," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 361-371.
- HervÊ Moulin, 1999. "Incremental cost sharing: Characterization by coalition strategy-proofness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 16(2), pages 279-320.
- Moulin, Herve, 1995.
"On Additive Methods to Share Joint Costs,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 98-99, August.
- Young, H Peyton, 1985. "Producer Incentives in Cost Allocation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 757-765, July.
- Wang, YunTong, 1999. "The additivity and dummy axioms in the discrete cost sharing model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 187-192, August.
- Martin Shubik, 1961.
"Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
112, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Martin Shubik, 1962. "Incentives, Decentralized Control, the Assignment of Joint Costs and Internal Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 325-343, April.
- E. Loehman & A. Whinston, 1974. "An Axiomatic Approach to Cost Allocation for Public Investment," Public Finance Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 2(2), pages 236-250, April.
- Moulin Herve & Shenker Scott, 1994. "Average Cost Pricing versus Serial Cost Sharing: An Axiomatic Comparison," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 178-201, October.
- Khmelnitskaya, Anna B., 1999. "Marginalist and efficient values for TU games," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 45-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:87:y:1999:i:2:p:275-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.