- A Procedure For Sharing Recycling Costs
This paper examines a situation in which the production activities of different agents, in a common geographical location, create waste products that are either of a similar biological or chemical composition or offer commercially compatible combinations. What we propose here, therefore, is a cost-sharing model for the of recycling of their waste products. We concentrate, however, on the specific case in which the agents' activities are heterogeneous. We first examine, from a normative point of view, the cost-sharing rule, which we shall call the multi-commodity serial (MCS) rule. We introduce a property, that we call Cost-Based Equal Treatment, and we demonstrate that the unique rule verifying the Serial Principle and this property is the MCS rule. We then deal with the analysis of the agents' strategic behavior when they are allowed to select their own production levels, in which case the total cost is then split, in accordance with the MCS rule. We show that there is only one Nash equilibrium, which is obtained from an interactive elimination of dominated strategies.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samet, Dov & Tauman, Yair, 1982.
"The Determination of Marginal Cost Prices under a Set of Axioms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 895-909, July.
- Dov Samet & Yair Tauman, 1981. "The Determination of Marginal-Cost Prices Under a Set of Axioms," Discussion Papers 476, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sprumont, Yves, 1998.
"Ordinal Cost Sharing,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 126-162, July.
- Maurice Koster, 2007. "The Moulin–Shenker rule," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 271-293, September.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Tauman, Y., 1982.
"The continuity of the Aumann-Shapley price mechanism,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 235-249, March.
- MIRMAN,Â Leonard J. & TAUMAN,Â Y., . "The continuity of the Aumann-Shapley price mechanism," CORE Discussion Papers RP 470, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Young, H Peyton, 1985. "Producer Incentives in Cost Allocation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(4), pages 757-65, July.
- Koster, M.A.L. & Tijs, S.H. & Borm, P.E.M., 1998.
"Serial cost sharing methods for multi-commodity situations,"
Other publications TiSEM
6633be50-672a-42f3-a966-8, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Koster, Maurice & Tijs, Stef & Borm, Peter, 1998. "Serial cost sharing methods for multi-commodity situations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 229-242, December.
- Moulin, Herve, 1979. "Dominance Solvable Voting Schemes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1137-51, November.
- Friedman, Eric & Moulin, Herve, 1999.
"Three Methods to Share Joint Costs or Surplus,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 275-312, August.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Yair Tauman & Israel Zang, 1983.
"Ramsey Prices, Average Cost Prices and Price Sustainability,"
561, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Mirman, Leonard J. & Tauman, Yair & Zang, Israel, 1986. "Ramsey prices, average cost prices and price sustainability," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 123-140, June.
- Young, H.P., 1994. "Cost allocation," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 34, pages 1193-1235 Elsevier.
- Hervé Moulin, 1994. "Serial Cost-Sharing of Excludable Public Goods," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 305-325.
- S. C. Littlechild & G. Owen, 1973. "A Simple Expression for the Shapley Value in a Special Case," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 370-372, November.
- E. Loehman & A. Whinston, 1974. "An Axiomatic Approach to Cost Allocation for Public Investment," Public Finance Review, , vol. 2(2), pages 236-250, April.
- Moulin, Herve & Shenker, Scott, 1992. "Serial Cost Sharing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(5), pages 1009-37, September.
- Eric Friedman, 1999. "Strong Monotonicity in Surplus Sharing," Departmental Working Papers 199919, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Eric Friedman, 1999. "Paths and Consistency in Additive Cost Sharing," Departmental Working Papers 199923, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2000-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.